Help for Diverticilitis

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am 71 and was diagnosed with Diverticilitis just over a year ago.  So far I have kept really well, only a few flare ups.  Right now I am in so much pain, feeling nausies and light headed and pouring with sweat. 

I was told to stop eating white bread which I have and bought brown bread two days ago.   Although I really enjoyed it, it has seeds on it and I can only think that this has made me I'll.  any advice would be appreciated.

it is making me feel really low.(and sorry for my self). Lol

1 like, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I would go on a liquid diet for a couple of days then follow with yogurt and soft foods for a couple after that. Try a heating pad on your stomach for a while also...It is the worst feeling ever.
  • Posted

Got it in one Eleanor, anything seeded is welcomed by ypur D.D pouches If you

really can't live without bread ,try Warburtons thins, just the plain ones 

Hope you have an appointment to see your G.P   ASAP

• Posted

Hello Eleanor

Im sorry to hear about your flare up and pain.  Have you got any Meberverine from the doctor? It helps to stop the pain by calming the intestine and Peppermint capsules are also useful to have when your inside is feeling bloated or uncomfortable. If this pain continues phone the doctor for advice and medication. Often constipation starts a diverticular attack and its a good idea to have Movicol on a regular basis to avoid this.  It just keeps a regular bowel movement without any discomfort.

A doctor told me to avoid seesds pips and skins and only drink water for three days during an attack.  This becomes difficult after the second day because of starting to feel hungry and only drinking water.

If you are still in pain its best to phone doctor to avoid complications. Vera

• Posted

Thanks Vera

i am feeling so ill just now,  The pain is awful and feeling sick and light headed.  I'm just drinking water and have phoned my GP so just waiting for a call from her. 

• Posted

Oh dera Eleanor how dreadful you must be feeling. I went through this a couple of weeks ago. and ended up at the Hastings hospital for two days. You have done the right thingin phoning the doctor and I hope he will give you something to stop the pain. Yes its important to keep drinking water. My thoughts are with you. Let me know how you get on. Best wishes Vera
  • Posted

Eleanor Ive just been thinking! If the doctor suggests a call to see you it would be better than just speaking on the telephone because she can feel your tummy and know if there is a blockage or inflamation that needs urgent treatment
    • Posted

The doctor phoned Back.  I don't think there is any blockage as my tummy is really soft.    

He has given me Metronidazole also Apercap Peppermint oil capsules

He said if there is no progress by tomorrow then I have to call him again.

still in a lot of pain and a bad headache.   I've only been drinking water, but had a few spoons of tomato soup. 

I also have to take Fibagel every day.

• Posted

Sounds like a typical diverticulitis infection/relapse. You need to have antibiotics. The standard course is Flagl and Cipro for about a week to 2. It takes about 3 days for drugs to take over. Then it's up to you which of the respondent's food suggestions you want to follow. I still swear by my earlier comments about the fibre supplement. I'm a ver fit 55 year old male,,  I was diagnosed in my mid 40's, not your typical candidate. I also felt I ate very good and had a normal constitution. Can't figure out how I got this. Over in the states we have Metamucil over in the UK it's probably something else. You can start the fibre drink now. All it does is add natural fibre into your system that we all need more of....at least those of us predisposed to diverticulitis. You just need your system to calm down. I feel your pain. I remember many of those sweats, and painful abdomen and doubling over in pain. Maybe it was just my form of Diverticulitis, but it's been over 4 years since I've had a diverticulitis infection and I had at least 5 infections a year for about 6 years. Hang in there. Don't let them dissect your bowel until you've at least tried the fibre supplement. You can't undo surgery!
    • Posted

Have had to call doctor back again,  thankfully there is no blockage,   She said it was a very bad infection and if I wanted I can be removed to hospital,   

Hospitals over here are apolling with waits over 4 hours to be seen. Also so many bugs going around. So have opted to stay at home and continue with the antibiotics.   Hope it settles soon.

• Posted

Just dont eat for a few days... have a liquid diet and get your probiotics soon as possible. The antibiotics will clear it up in a couple days.
  • Posted

Yes I agree Eleanor

Hospitals are short staffed and not as they used to be. The only thing they would do is probably put you on a drip because of dehydration and give painkillers (paracetamol) and a gentle laxative. Keep drinking lots of water. Hope it improves very soon. Vera

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.