Help, getting really down about Molluscum

Posted , 25 users are following.

I picked up Molluscum from a spa day back in March this year. I had the usual story of doctors telling me its fine and not to worry about it.

I then lost out on a relationship because of it in the summer and also started war on them.

I have had 3 freezing sessions at the clinic and new ones keep popping up or old ones coming back so I then brought a home kit as they wont let me back until three weeks have passed.

I am also using TTO which has helped shrink but never get rid of them.

I get really really down and upset about this virus as its been 5/6 months and new spots tend to appear over night. I have got to the point I don't know what is a little spot / blemish or what is a wart now and feel like I am treating anything.

Can anyone tell me how long they had this for? and also what do they look like when you are winning? Did they just stop appearing or did they appear then disappear quickly or all suddenly just start healing.

I just want a sign that my body is fighting it. I dont drink much, dont smoke, taking vitamins, work out etc.

2 likes, 151 replies

151 Replies

Next
  • Edited

I had it for six months and your story/experience sound familiar. Drink lots of water. I was consuming 120 ounces per day. Also, read this post:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/how-i-healed-my-molluscum-contagiusum-672737?page=0#3322213

• Posted

Thank you for taking time to reply I will have a look at that.

I think its the not knowing how long you will have it that messes with you the most.

• Edited

I agree; the uncertainty is a bit rough. Mine came in waves ... and over time the waves were further and further apart and smaller and smaller in number.

The best recipe that I can recommend is live the absolute healthiest lifestyle you can imagine. Awesome food, tons of fluids, no alcohol/drugs/smoking, lots of sleep and everything that you can do to boost your immune system. You know how they say that drinking tons of water will help clear up your skin? Drink lots of water throughout the day. I had seemingly very good luck with Cimitidine/Tagamet that has some off label anti viral properties in high dosage. I also wonder if the antivirals used for Herpes would be useful against MC. The antivirals are general purpose and the MC and herpes viruses are pretty close together on the family tree.

• Posted

Aw I understand. Don't worry, you are not alone. I am in the exact same boat and it is a frustrating experience. TTO isn't doing anything for mine tbh. I'm using a prescription topical and apple cider vinegar. The mollescum seem to really respond to the ACV, they do not like it! It kind of burns my skin, but I do think that over time, with consistent use, it is making a difference. Also, try and stay positive. I know that seems like lip service but just take deep breaths and remind yourself that this IS temporary. You don't have a lifelong disease and you WILL beat it! The power of intention I believe is half the battle. Dealing with my mollescum has gotten a lot better ever since I decided to be positive about it. Feel free to keep messaging and we can keep each other updated on our progress. I've had it for about 5 months now.

• Posted

Thank you both. I do find the duct tape works really well if you catch them early and it saves the freezing. I love running and not sure if that makes it worse but I wont be giving that up.

At the moment I have some, which are definitely healing for good and some lumps left after treatment, which I am hoping are just them going away. I get the odd red spot and cover it up straight away. This could be paranoia but Id rather not take my chances.

I am really hoping that this is it, as date number three coming up this week and I don't want to have to tell him sorry could be a few more months and scare him off haha

• Posted

I'm so sorry to hear of your own battle with molluscum and what has been happening in your life. Mine seems to have cleared up after 6 months of using scalpels and TCP. I'm also a keen runner and wondered if running in the hot summer weather had made it worse, or if sweat had made molluscum happen in the first place, but like you I won't give running up. I hope yours clears up soon!

• Posted

It is an antiseptic liquid commonly applied to the skin using cotton pads, or can be gargled in the mouth for ulcers and other damage. It stings a bit, putting TCP on molluscum, but I found it helped erradicate my spots a little faster.

• Posted

Ohhh - ok I might try that next. Are you doing the scalpels yourself - or did you have a doctor do them?

• Posted

I think ill have to go to the doctors as all of a sudden everywhere thats ive used duct tape the skin has become really swollen.

Im not sure of this is the body fighting it or if ive got an infection. They dont look like molluscum at all just a swollen mass. Amazing!

• Posted

Went to the doctors said it was irritation or mild infection and to see how it goes.

Also was so lovely and said it takes a long time to go, years 😢.

Really not what i wanted to hear they dont seem to realise how it effects you

• Posted

From everything that I've read (which is A LOT at this point), "years" is the exception - not the rule. Particularly if you are actively trying to get rid of the mollescum. A lot of mollescum takes so long to go away because people are drinking, eating bad, not sleeping, not carefully watching the bumps, not treating them everyday, etc. I think with your strategy - they will go away soon. The duct tape and bandaids irritated my skin too. I had an allergic reaction to the adhesive. What I'm doing now is using a gentle surgical tape for sensitive skin that I bought at the store . But I don't use it every day - maybe once every couple of days. It seems to be helping - maybe try that instead o f the duct tape?

• Posted

Im having to have a break from treatment as I seem to have an infection on the skin its so red and swollen doctors given me fungal cream.

Its very annoying as all the molluscum seem to be healing or dissapearing and now this. Its quite itchy. Hopefully wont have another outbreak in the meantime.

I tried to add a photo but kept saying file to large.

It was definitely the duct tape as in all the places id been using it but strange it suddenly reacted to it.

Ill get some of the gentle tape for when my skin has healed a bit.

• Posted

I have a healthy lifestyle, and I agree that 'years' is the extreme and not the typical normal length of time for MC to disappear, but I fear mine will soon return if I shave or even use a towel for all parts of my body again. Like Gemma and Linda you have both said, it can feel like molluscum is for life.

• Posted

how is your skin doing? I've been soaking cotton balls in ACV and then taping them on my bumps for about 8 hours at a time. That's working really well. A lot of the bumps are turning black which I read means that they are dying. Again, I am just using the gentle surgical tape which isn't causing any reactions like the bandaids and duct tape did.

• Posted

Hi. Ive been doing nothing at the moment to try and let the skin recover. It does look alot better everywhere but there are one or two bumps im not sure if they are coming or going so will visit the clinic Friday see what they think

I do think I've been treating stuff which wasn't molluscum going a bit silly making it worse than it is.

I will get some acv and surgical tape today so its ready to use but wait to see what they say Friday.

Glad its working for you. Have new ones stopped popping up?

• Posted

Unfortunately, yes. New mollescum have popped up but they are very small. I've got cotton ball soaked in ACV on them right now so fingers crossed! the other ones are all REALLY red or black and irritated. I red that this is a good sign but it doesn't look great. Hope your skin heals up soon so you can get back to meds. I'm in the same boat with the small ones- sometimes it's really hard to tell what is and isn't mollescum!

• Posted

Sounds like its working on them which, is good.

Its roughly every three weeks new ones pop up just when I think ive won.

I went to the clinic today and they sprayed a couple and said the others dint look like them she even spotted some I hadnt seen as in an awkward place shall we say so glad I went.

I shall keep at it wont give up yet.

• Posted

feeling pretty down again as it seems that every time I think they are going away, new ones pop up. The skin around them is so destroyed from the medication and ACV. The other day I was literally bleeding. Everything is horribly red and irritated. I don't know what to do next. I've got an appointment on Wednesday for the liquid nitrogen. Fingers crossed that does something. How is yours going?

• Posted

Oh so sorry to hear this that sounds so painful.

I think the best thing you can do now is let your skin heal and try to stop putting anything on it.

After having a break from tea tree and tape my skin is looking so much better I can see whats what now. I also really think I had over done it and was treating spots which were actually folliculitis or eczema from the irritation making it worse. It was really hard telling myself to stop it as I was getting paranoid. I even got stung by a stinger when jogging (nothing major happens a lot) but my thigh had a massive reaction to that just like with the tape so I dont think my skin is all better yet!

I have had definitely two old ones come back and I froze them myself today. So at the moment I cant see anymore but chances are another one will come back but I will only be freezing and when im really sure.

Let me know what they said and how you got on.

• Posted

Wow - you are down to very few!! That is amazing. Keeping my fingers crossed that yours will be gone soon. You are giving me hope!! It also sounds like you have sensitive skin - I do as well. I wonder if people that get mollescum tend to have sensitive skin. What are you using to freeze them off yourself?

I went to the doctor yesterday to get mine frozen off. I was so bumped because I went from having only 3 or 4 left, to suddenly getting about 10 of them pop up. So the doctor was very aggressive with the liquid nitrogen and got everything that she thought could be one. So I am very thankful for that and she was very understanding. She expects that we'll have to do one more freezing session in a few weeks. I am traveling in Africa all of November so that will make my healing very difficult, but I will do my best. Thanks for being such a good support for me! It has been helping.

• Posted

I used a freeze kit from boots chemist supposed to be for warts and verrucas but same family. Dread to think how much ive spent on stuff over the months haha.

Glad she was kind and hope she got them all.

Sounds amazing travelling around Africa! Best not to think about them while your away and just enjoy yourself.

Ill be going back to get a couple froze properly this week as couple in a place I dont want to freeze myself as its an awkward place they are also mega itchy driving me insane.

Have a wonderful time if dont hear from you before and let me know how your bumps go

• Posted

hi, I just wanted to give you an update. 2 weeks ago I got most of them frozen off. That went really well and now most of them are gone. Unfortunately a couple more popped up between my buttocks. I put some apple cider vinegar on those (which has always worked well), and my skin freaked out. One of them got infected and turned into an ulcer! I went to urgent care and the doctor told me to completely stop all mollescum treatment and just give my skin time to recover. It turned out I had a yeast infection on my skin from all the different treatments. So now I'm off mollescum treatment and just using zinc cream to help the ulcer heal, with yeast cream to help that. Kind of a crazy couple of weeks! The ulcer is looking better. I still have 3 or 4 mollescum bumps but my doctor said she thinks the mollescum is on it's way out. Anyway, that's where I'm at with it all now. How is yours looking?

• Posted

Oh dear you have been through the wars but it sounds like we're definitely going through the same thing

I tried to use a tiny bit if tea tree oil the other week and my skin infection came back. Thats ok now with the cream i used before. Ive also had to have a couple of thrush tablets so im guessing its a yeast thing too.

One tiny one popped up last weekend so i froze it straight away.

At this precise moment in time I can only see scaring from the freezing last week and nothing coming back underneath.

Im not getting excited yet, dont want to get hopes up as we know they pop up over night and it can take a few weeks to show. Im giving it a month of no shows before im happy and once the clinic says they cant see anything.

So as it sounds like your a few weeks behind me so maybe we will both be able to celebrate soon 😀🤞

I know your away but get those last few froze as soon as you can again its definitely the way forward for us now

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.