Help! Hearing problems following infection.

Posted , 53 users are following.

Hi,

I'm 36-year old male and about 3-weeks ago I went to my doctor with typical flu-like symptoms. He informed me I had a Respiratory Tract Infection and prescribed some antibiotics and pain killers which I took over the course of the following week. The problem did not clear-up and, after developing a chesty cough and severe pain in one ear, I returned to the doctor who then told me the infection had most likely spread to my chest and most certainly in to my ears - particularly my left one. He prescribed stronger antibiotics and pain killers and a nasal steroid spray, all of which again I took religiously over the following week once again.

Although my cough and general flu symptoms have pretty much cleared up, for the past week or so I have been left with almost complete loss of hearing in my left ear. It feels as if there's still a wee bit of pressure both in and around the ear itself with a sort of numbness when i touch the skin on my face and head around the ear. This extends in to my hair-line, over my left cheek and a short distance down my neck below my ear. There's also a small amount of ringing from within the ear and it sounds as if I'm hearing things "internally" all the time. Hard to explain but extremely frustrating and my concern is that the infection has somehow managed to damage my hearing permanently.

Can anyone offer any advice please?

Thanks in advance!!

Gavin

1 like, 134 replies

134 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I'm 17 years old. Recently about 5 days ago. 1st day was a slight head ache.next morning I woke with a runny hose head ache and a discomfort in my right ear. That night my right ear seemed very irritated and my right eye was extremely red. I've been using eye drops which really helps my eyes. and allergy ib profen and Vicks dayquil to help with my ear. So today I woke my ear seemed better than usual but after hearing even low voices or moving around it seemed to maybe swell or feel compressed in a way that my hearing is overcome by a buzz.
  • Posted

I'm 17 years old. Recently about 5 days ago. 1st day was a slight head ache.next morning I woke with a runny hose head ache and a discomfort in my right ear. That night my right ear seemed very irritated and my right eye was extremely red. I've been using eye drops which really helps my eyes. and allergy ib profen and Vicks dayquil to help with my ear. So today I woke my ear seemed better than usual but after hearing even low voices or moving around it seemed to maybe swell or feel compressed in a way that my hearing is overcome by a buzz.
  • Posted

Hi supergav,

OK this is an old thread, but I'm suffering from the same problem, big ear problems after a virus three weeks ago. I'd love to know if you (or anyone on here) eventually got your hearing back and how long it took. Thanks

• Posted

Kerry

I lost hearing in both ears after a virus. It took 6 weeks. I went to EAR/Nose/Throat doctor and one of my ears had massive gunk way deep and they were able to clean it out which gave me hearing back partially in one ear. The other ear was blocked due to fluid in my inner ear - I think it's the eustation tube. I was concerned but the dr thought my ear nerve in that ear had not been permanently damaged by the virus and it would just take time for the fluid to drain. I went for acupuncture and that is what worked. 2 treatments and I had my hearing back. My ears still pop a little and it's been 8 weeks. It was very gradual, the fluid did not drain all at once.

• Posted

My experience with clogged ears

I recently had a chest infection which also gave me really congested sinuses which ultimately lead to Clogged ears (the worst). I actually went to the doctors and told them I my ears were really plugged, they said that it was from my chest infection, guess it's common after a infection. They prescribed me antibiotics for my sinus congestion which I actually wanted one for my ears!

So taking the antibiotics for 5 days, first day I was experiencing popping but it got more plugged when I laid on my side to rest. So skip to fourth day left ear is still plugged but feels like getting better but woke up with my right ear clogged like crazy so I was Mad, cause I was on the second last day of my antibiotics and I got even worse clogging.

I tried almost everything from pinching your nose and blowing to hot compresses on your ear. I was convinced my hearing would be muffled forever. But done the antibiotics now, though it didn't actually completely pop my ears, I decided to just live with it, and by the grace of God my left ear popped completely today and when I mean completely its the relief all us ear clogged community are seeking. Lol. I didn't believe it would go away on its own, people say it does even doctors, but suffering from clogged ears for a solid week, it did go away on its own!

• Posted

i was ill with cold , los my voice , and had antibiotics for a chest infetion , now 2 weeks later i have ringing in left ear which is so loud i cant sleep, it feels really fully and im getting pain down that side of my face , doctor says im fine and cant see anything , hes sendig me to ent as he wants to rule a tumour out , im now scared to death

• Posted

Melanie you are fine, trust me! Really sounds like you are being hypochondriac about it patience smile
    • Posted

Hey look I'll be honest, either the people here with fluid in the inner ear have said, 'screw this', and carried on... Trust me things will get a LOT BETTER, but my life is audio and after 3 months I don't think it's gonna be perfection ever again.

Or.. They have just waited, it's drained and everything is cool. I doubt you'd notice my situation unless you spent many thousands of hifi. One life hey.

• Posted

It is not a tumour.
    • Posted

just wish doctor had not said anything , im still waiting for hospital appointment !!! the ringing i sending ne round twist , i wake up feeling sick as a dog
    • Posted

hi Melanie ,did u ever get sorted I am just going through the exact same as you were a year ago ,waiting for MRI results ,the constant buzzing and dizziness And deafness is driving me out of my mind, love to hear how you got on did it ever easeĀ 
  • Posted

just wish doctor had not sid anything , im still waiting for hospital appointment !!! the ringing i sending ne round twist , i wake up feeling sick as a dog
  • Posted

Hello sir,

My name is reddy. I am also almost I lossed hearing from right ear. Actually now I am doing merchant navy job. If I want go to the this job means then I will recovery to my right ear. Please give me suggestion sir whether I can recovery or not.please sir give me suggestion.

• Posted

Hello,

Just saw this post. I went on pilgrimage 2013 and caught a very bad virus, got flu like symptoms and took antibiotics right away. Had runny nose, clogged ears, chest congestion, the whole nine yards but was never dibilitated and not bed ridden, i was able to function but had cold symptoms of congested nose, watery eyes, clogged ears. In one week, all cleared up except for my ears, both ears remained muffled, almost like glass over each ear; it got frustrating because i was not able to hear well and just told everyone at work not to bother speaking to me because my ears were clogged; i did not feel fluid or gung etc they just were muffled and it was as if i were under water, maybe a bit of pressure. In all my life i never thought i would go to an ENT, i am not one to do so but the closed ears were such a nuisance; all my other symptoms were gone but the ears remained closed two weeks after; ENT gave me steroids, oral, nasal spray and i had already been on a course of antibiotics; he also helped me to pinch my nose, swallow and i dont remember what else he did but thru manipulation was able to help the right ear open up; the left ear was still clogged and within a week it too opened up. I did have hearing loss. This was back in 2013, and the doctor and audiologist were not able to help determine if there was hearing loss as a result of the infection, which i think was viral, because they had no base line to compare. I most definitely do have hearing loss since before and after the infection, like night and day. The hearing loss never got better , it is permanent. I got fitted with a hearing aid in my left ear and my right ear is at the low end of normal and almost declared as hearing loss; i am constantly asking people to repeat what they say, i am not good at wearing the hearing aid but i have adapted and learned to live with the hearing loss; it is not the end of the world. Some sounds are perceived louder now and too much background noise and chatter irritates me but i have adapted and become more aware of hearing and what is best for me. BTW i still hear well as far as i am concerned, sometimes i cannot decipher talk on cell phones, but its ok; i also use my hearing loss as a proud badge whenever others are frustrated from me asking to repeat, mostly my family, my kids. And proud to say my most productive work and high achievements came after my hearing loss; i still hear well Thank God, i just have to turn up the volume so to speaksmile hope this helps Gavin even though its been a year for this response, i just saw your post from then. Blessings to all, its all good. The human condition to adapt is incredible. You will be just fine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.