Help! Hearing problems following infection.

Posted , 53 users are following.

Hi,

I'm 36-year old male and about 3-weeks ago I went to my doctor with typical flu-like symptoms. He informed me I had a Respiratory Tract Infection and prescribed some antibiotics and pain killers which I took over the course of the following week. The problem did not clear-up and, after developing a chesty cough and severe pain in one ear, I returned to the doctor who then told me the infection had most likely spread to my chest and most certainly in to my ears - particularly my left one. He prescribed stronger antibiotics and pain killers and a nasal steroid spray, all of which again I took religiously over the following week once again.

Although my cough and general flu symptoms have pretty much cleared up, for the past week or so I have been left with almost complete loss of hearing in my left ear. It feels as if there's still a wee bit of pressure both in and around the ear itself with a sort of numbness when i touch the skin on my face and head around the ear. This extends in to my hair-line, over my left cheek and a short distance down my neck below my ear. There's also a small amount of ringing from within the ear and it sounds as if I'm hearing things "internally" all the time. Hard to explain but extremely frustrating and my concern is that the infection has somehow managed to damage my hearing permanently.

Can anyone offer any advice please?

Thanks in advance!!

Gavin

1 like, 134 replies

134 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have this exact same virus or whatever it is.  It started 3 weeks ago, very painful throat and it went up into my ears, mainly my left one.  6 days ago I started an antibiotic and the cough went away but I still can taste this cold in my system and my left ear feels strange and my hearing is strange.  Doctor said my ear was full of wax and it was but it still has this strange feeling and there is a ringing in that ear.  There seems to be some sort of hearing loss in that ear and a short range of sounds will echo like I was listening through a glass tube.  This is the worst virus/flu/infection I have ever had.  I'm also in my 30's.
  • Posted

I've had a terrible cold virus for a week now, I thought it was flu, but I've had a flu jab!  My hearing has almost disappeared too!!  It's certain frequencies with me though....I now feel fine in myself, still sounding 'snotty', just this terrible deafness.  Don't know whether I should call the GP??

Sue XX

• Posted

I am just recovering from this terrible cold virus, and I have almost lost my hearing.  I feel fine in myself, still sound very 'snotty'....don't know whether I should phone the GP or not.....

Sue X

• Posted

No one mentioned if they can hear their own voice inside their head
  • Posted

hi Gavin, may not be the same but I went through most of what you have. 3 years ago , I was not ill , it was summer time on vacation and out of nowhere I got this buzzing in my ear. Thought it was water from swimming. 3days later went to my go and was put on antibiotics in case an ear infection was brewing. 2weeks later was referred to an ent was put on more antibiotics , singular , and nasal spray. Had pressure in my ear and still ringing. On a follow up visit pressure was gone but I was told there is nothing else he can do . Went for a second opinion , then I was diagnosed with menieres , which is uncureable . Went for a 3rd opinion and same diagnosis . They gave me water pill, diazepam for the attacks ( I loose my balance when the ear feels real full ) . Low sodium diet , avoid smoking ,avoid caffeine . 3years later it's still the same my hearing is distorted in my left ear. Ringing comes and goes. And in nov had 3 attacks. Also they suggested b-complex and ginkgo biloba . There are times it calms down but when it comes back its very frustrating. I hope you don't have this and wish you luck. I am opened to anything anyone can offer that would someday cure this. Keep me posted
    • Posted

It could be from your neck, try seeing an osteopath or chiropractor.   

Acupuncture would probably help as well 

• Posted

I now have what I think is almost complete hearing loss following a bad flu last week. I go to the ENT for an audiogram tomorrow.

My MD said hearing loss following the flu is largely a mystery. She said I should take prednisone. But that it likely would not work - it's just all they have. She does not think it's bacterial but a virus.

I'd like to hear more from others on this forum about their experiences please? What has worked for you? How many of you had hearing return?

Nan

• Posted

Yeah I've been deaf for a week... Will make another appointment tomorrow.  I don't really have any concern that it won't return though... But I'd like to know how long.
  • Posted

Supergav,

I am wondering why you are not concerned that hearing loss might be permanent? I thought it was just a termporary complication of the flu, but with everything I have read - I am concerned. Viruses can attack the ear organ itself. If it causes swelling, the ear nerve can get strangled off from blood supply and die. Hearing is lost at that point - never to return. On the other hand, if the hearing loss is conducive - like a blockage of some kind - it will likely go away on it's own. Unfortunately, Dr's don't have much going for them as far as treatment - for either kind of hearing loss. If it's sensoralneural - with the nerve damage - they want to try high doses of steroids to stop the swelling and hopefully save the nerve. That's what I know so far. And it's scary. I am panicing because it feels like I have 2 pillows up against both ears. My hearing loss is in both ears, not just one. I don't know what to do.

• Posted

Well if I hum or whatever it's pretty normal, it's just blocked up.  I get the feeling it will be for a long time though sad.

I think if I read everything "medical" online then I would be super worried as well, facts are that you are pretty damn unlikely to go deaf from flu

• Posted

Definitely let us know how you get on though.   This is another thing, when you read these threads, people eventually stop replying.... I most people would, you stop googling, "Deaf after flu" once your hearing is back......
    • Posted

I had an audio gram and still need to wait 4 weeks for another. The Audiologist said sudden hearing loss from the flu is more common than thought. If you are lucky enough to have the type that is fluid then it will likely go away on it's own. But the other type is like a heart attack for the ear. Damage to the nerve.
    • Posted

Well, no point being pessimistic!  Sometimes I can hear all the crud moving around in there, gross.   I get private healthcare from work, I'll give them a shout tomorrow.  Thanks for the updates, I will keep you updated....
    • Posted

Hiya Nancy.  How you doing now?  I can hear below 1khz pretty fine now, but >1khz is distorted.  It's better every day, but slllooowwww
    • Posted

Hi, I'm 15 and I have lost most of my hearing in both my ears, it's like I have my hands over them and it started off extremely painful. I got antibiotics and they took the pain away but I still cannot hear. I am just wondering if your hearing has returned as I am really worried that mine won't and I don't know what to do.
    • Posted

So it takes 3-6 months in reality, yeah it's a wait but it gets easier after a month
    • Posted

Hi - How's you hearing now Megalev? I'm also in 'audio'. I had a bad cold about 7 weeks ago, and lost hearing both sides overnight. Had ear infection both sides and was treated with 3 oral and 1 topical to clear it up. Right eardum burst which was very painful but perforation healed quickly. Cold cleared up after a couple of weeks. Hearing return to about 70% norm after 3 weeks but very slow progress since. My hearing drops off after about 3/4kHz but I have a bit of 'buzzy' top end which helps speech but listening to / playing music is not what it was. Seen ENT - no fluid present according to results - and he suggested that everything could take some months to come back / heal - but I'm worried after about 6/7 weeks that I'm going to be left with some permanent loss. The audiologist suggested that my results indicated eustacian tube disfucntion - but the consultant didn't back this up. Are there any stories of recovery after this long? Always had great hearing, even though I suffer from slight tinitus, but it seems louder at the moment due to hearing loss...
    • Posted

Well, what can I say?  it's not *as* good as before, but it will do for me.  Actually I have another hearing test next month so I'll let you know how it compares to 5/10/15 years ago.  Whenever I swallow I can stil hear a load of gunk moving about tbh but it doesn't trouble me > 6 months on.
    • Posted

OK - so 7.5 months following hearing loss my hearing recovery seems to have plateaued - although the ENT said it could take up to a year for for everything to reach the 'as good as it gets' stage? Anyway, so far I'm left with raised tinutus that is definitily worse with lack of sleep, but most disturbingly is this annoying low hum (sub frequencies) for several minutes after listening to music on earphones (which i now try to limit or reduce volume). At first I thought it was a truck outside until realising it was being generated my own ears! WTF is this?! Also have difficulty equalising pressure, but this seems to be improved from what it was. The ENT has basically signed me off as my hearing is 'within normal limits' and there's nothing more he can do! I sense my hearing is diminished volume wise and as a result I tend to mishear TV / conversation, however I seem to hear the full frequency range, it's just that the tinitus takes over when I'm in subtle / quiet environments. So it's manageable, although I think my speech is getting getting louder to compensate...so I feel a bit down about it as I've always had GREAT hearing and I'm conscious of it all the time...one last thing is that I seem to be worse at pinpoiting where sound is coming from 360 degrees, although stereo imaging is fine?
    • Posted

Check me out for a delayed response smile.   Nothing much to add, I don't have much to add to my last response.  It never fully recouped, although life is fine.  Tinnitus is way-way worse.  Seems that is something I cannot change though, so it is something I won't worry about..   I can identify with everything you wrote, Sparky.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.