HELP! I can't feel my body!

Posted , 44 users are following.

This is the most bizarre symptom yet. I can not feel my body. Like my insides are numb. I can't feel my heart beat, my arms and legs feel like they aren't there but they are. When I touch my body I can feel it, but when I am not touching or pinching myself it's like my body is numb. I feel spaced out as well, like something isn't right. Last night I think I had a panic attack, I has a few palpitations, but I didn't feel like I was in control of my breathing or anything, I just laid there scared and numb. I know I've been stressed for a long time and been very inactive but this seems so odd and can't believe this is all just anxiety.

5 likes, 79 replies

79 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I also feel like I am not in control of my mind and body. Especially during a panic attack. Is this normal?
  • Posted

Have you tried going to the doctor for this issue?  If it is not just anxiety then it will help to figure that out.  But if it is, then hopefully you can work to lessen your anxiety, thus making that symptom go away.
    • Posted

I've talked to my doctor about it but he doesn't seem concerned. He sort of brushed me off and just told me to eat more. I've had blood work done last month as well as chest xray and ekg. All was normal. But this symptom is new and has appeared after a series of panic attacks. Idk if it's anxiety because I can't find anyone who has shared the same symptoms.

• Posted

You need to drill your doctor if he doesn't seem concerned.  Or maybe he knows its anxiety so he doesn't worry about you.  Do you see a therapist?  I feel like an therapist would know more about those symptoms if it really is anxiety.  

If you are in doubt, I recommend to not give up on talking to your doctor because it is their job to help you out.

• Posted

See a different doctor. If he didn't do a neurological exam -/ he's a bad doctor.. 

I know. I've  been through this. I also know what the standard of care is and that wasn't it. 

• Edited

Yes, follow up with your doctor however this sounds like classic depersonalization caused by intense anxiety.   Your brain tries to shut out any stress to protect you. That's why we get such crazy symptoms including the ones you are having. Your brain tries to numb you from the outside world. This won't last forever as it will wear off. This is why I am for size that people with anxiety should first start by relaxing their brain. Because this is where the anxiety begins as well as the symptoms.  This won't last forever as it will wear off. This is why I am for size that people with anxiety should first start by relaxing their brain. Because this is where the anxiety begins as well as the symptoms. 

have you heard the expression "the straw that broke the camels back?". Our bodies especially our nervous system can only take so much stress before it has a breakdown. That is what I think is happening with you. I had that happen in my 20s. 

your body is telling you it is on overload with stress so now you need to take charge. 

if you can, speak with a counselor who has expertise in this area of anxiety. This is hard to overcome alone.  If you are constantly focusing on your anxiety then your symptoms will get worse. Get some support for this 

• Edited

There are a million physical things it could be too. Never assume psych first. Always rule out other causes. 
    • Posted

Like what because I cant seem to find it being anythi g else than anxiety?
    • Edited

i been having stomach issues my whole body feels weird .im not my normal self i feel like a different person .i just feel normal

• Edited

Can you ring 111 and speak to a paramedic or a dr about this.

It sounds scary but possibly due to anxiety but needs checking out asap. Paramedics can come and check you out if you ring 111 or 999.

Take care

• Edited

I'm in the US and I've called 911 more than 10 times and been to the emergency room over 15+ since May. I know they are really tired of me and think I am mad. I called them Sunday and went to the ER because I was having a panic attack I couldn't calm down from. I also had this same feeling then, however they said it was anxiety because I have a long history of anxiety with this hospital so all they did was run an ekg and blood pressure which showed sinus tachy and elevated bp because of the panic. This is a living hell for me because no one is taking me seriously. I am stressed about being stressed and anxious about all of these symptoms that I can't control.

• Posted

mines been happing since april I went to panic attacks please claim cause u dont wont to get worse I force myself to eat and drink and I go to the bathroom alot I'm scared but it have to end soon please pray about it if you believe in god he will get us out of this.

• Edited

i feel the same way. i cant feel my body. i feel like im sinking at times. i was standing up today and it felt like i was going to fall. it feels like the doctors arent taking me serious. i feel weak all of them time like im fading away.

• Edited

I cant feel my body the clothes on my body. I cant tell if it's hot or could and I dont feel any physical pain

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.