Help! I Have A Problem

Posted , 10 users are following.

I was cathetered from Friday the18th of March to the 11th of Apriil when they removed it.  The only time it was out was for an hour or two when I underwent the green light laser treatment. on April 7. The reason for the long catherization was because I went into 100% retention on the 18th of March.

At first I urinated good,  gradually I would go, then stop and I would find  that I had to "pump" the remaining urine.  Next, I had to bear down and pump from start to finish.

Now, today I can't go at all.   I can't even force start so it looks like to ER for me this night.

I don't know what's happening.

(At this point i was in the bathroom for 10 minutes as I had the urge to go.  I did go somewhat but it was like birthing a babywink

I was tested yesterday...no infection.

I have no infection and the op was a success.  I can't figure this out.  Will see doctor on Monday.

Tom  

1 like, 94 replies

94 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

By the way for all those in this discussion, the Dr showed me how to cath myself and that is a blessing...no running to the ER. You get in  to trouble and you do it yourself. Besides you don't have to keep cath in all day. Of course this doesn't work for just after surgery only after you have healed.

• Posted

I'm the one who started this thread. Basically I was cathed a few weeks before my green light laser treatment.  What happened was I peed OK for a short time after but it became harder and harder to go.  I had to bear down to go.  Finally even with bearing down I was retaining more than I could force out.

This past Saturday night I had to go to ER to get re-cathed.  I had no option.  It had to be done in spite of the fact that they would have to re-cath over a swollen and inflamed urinary tract.  I've been cathed many times in my life but NOTHING like this.  The agony was unreal.  I'm convinced my screams were heard in China.

Today I saw my urologist who informed me that as far as blocked prostate was concerned mine was blocked but not all that bad. Perhaps my initial problem was a combo of prostate and weak bladder contraction adding up to combine into a bad problem.  If that is indeed the case then being cathed for a couple of weeks, even necessary, didn't help matters because cather causes lazy bladder. 

My cath is coming out in 2 days.  My Urologist has prescribed Bethanechol for me 3 times per day.  This is a drug that induces bladder contraction.  I hope it works.  BUT WORK OR NOT, I am going to insist that I be trained in self cathing along with a prescription for a good supply of self catheters.  I'M FED UP WITH BEING HELPLESS!

I have a few questions for you guys out there who do self cath either full time or occasionally.

A. Does it hurt?

B. My imagination says not as much as when when someone else is shoving a foley up your front door because they can't feel our pain.  My imagination also tells me that by doing it yourself you can stop for a moment when you hit a "hurt spot."

Am I right?

Anything any of you can share about the discomfort (or lack of same) would be appreciated.

The way I look at it, the ability to self cath is a skill well worth having for the likes of us here who all have varying degrees of "plumbing problems."

Tom

• Posted

Tom, 

i don't recall self cathing hurting. But not even the one time the nurse showed me how. It feels a lot better than a bladder full of urine you are not able to get out also. 

Pit is very liberating to know you can relieve yourself when you need to. It just takes that worry away. I will say I thought it sucked, but again, at least I was able to get out and about, not worrying if I was going to lock up or not.

i would insist that you be shown how to do it, and have the proper supplies on hand if you need them. 

Good luck

• Posted

Tom talk with your doctor and have him show you how to do it.  I know they make self lube catheters Good luck  Ken
    • Posted

I am going to have a talk with my doc in a week about my learning self cath.  Even if I don't ever actually need it I still want to know how to do it and have supplies on hand.  I want to be in control of my own situation should the need arise.

But in the meantime I have only taken pill #1 of Bethanechol and it seems to be working its magic.  Even though urination seems to have started OK my bladder still burns from time to time.  Is this just post op healing?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.