Help! I Have A Problem

Posted , 10 users are following.

I was cathetered from Friday the18th of March to the 11th of Apriil when they removed it.  The only time it was out was for an hour or two when I underwent the green light laser treatment. on April 7. The reason for the long catherization was because I went into 100% retention on the 18th of March.

At first I urinated good,  gradually I would go, then stop and I would find  that I had to "pump" the remaining urine.  Next, I had to bear down and pump from start to finish.

Now, today I can't go at all.   I can't even force start so it looks like to ER for me this night.

I don't know what's happening.

(At this point i was in the bathroom for 10 minutes as I had the urge to go.  I did go somewhat but it was like birthing a babywink

I was tested yesterday...no infection.

I have no infection and the op was a success.  I can't figure this out.  Will see doctor on Monday.

Tom  

1 like, 94 replies

94 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Tom

Hope things are getting better with you, I also have a catheter for the past 6 weeks waiting for a HOLEP operation, what I think could be happening is that your bladder got lazy from the catheter, did you have a bag for your urine all the time or just at night, the reason I'm asking this is because I also was wearing a catheter and a leg bag all the time day and night for the first month, I then thought about putting a valve instead of a bag so the urine will stay in the bladder and every few hours I would go to the washroom and open the valve and empty my bladder, this way you bladder get to do some work, bladder is a muscle, it could of been streched from urine retention and lost it's elastacity and now from being inactive for about 1 month in your case it's possible that it's just lazy and will slowly get back to normal function, I'm no urologist but it's worth the try so get yourself a valve while you still have the catheter if that's the case.

thanks

John

• Posted

John I hope the Holep is what you need.  Are you aware of the side effects did your doctor tell you about everything.  Did he tell you about any other procedures.  Just checking before it's to late.  Take care  Ken 
    • Posted

Hi Ken

Thanks for getting back, well you know Ken I seen 3 different urologist and they all told me after various tests that my prostate was huge and needed an operation, one proposed the old TURP method, the 2nd one proposed Green Light surgery and the 3rd one proposed HOLEP, after many research online I came to the conclusion that HOLEP was the best of the 3, I also heard about Urolift but I don't think it's advisable since I heard many horror stories about it plus the fact that the prostate is strapped with brackets, it will keep groing usually at a 2% rate per year, bringing in more problems quickly. As far as side effects from the operation, they told me about retrograted ejaculation which I ate to gave away but if it's going to help me urinate normally it's a trade off I'm willing to take. You see the way all this happened to me is I started to feel very nauseated about 2 months ago, I went to the ER and my creatinine in the blood was 230 which is terribly high so after many test they noticed that I had urine retention of about 750 ml, but I never had problems urinating it's just that I was not emptying my bladder but I use to go many time to urinate and sometimes I could not hold it in and had to rush to the washroom, after wearing the cath for 5 days, they removed it to do a systoscopy and the first urologist told me that my bladder was swollen and stretched from the urine retention, in any case they told me to try to urinate and from that point on I could not urinate at all, just a few drops, so a week before I was urinating fine and after the 5 day cath and systoscopy I could not urinate anymore and since that time about 6 weeks now I have a catheter and as my last post said about 2 weeks ago I added a valve to the catheter instead of a urine bag during the day, this way my bladder is getting back some action and I'm feeling some urge to urinate and urine in my bladder so I go and open the valve and empty in the toilet. Tell me what is your story Ken

Thanks

John

• Posted

Hi John,

I had a TURP done in 2009. As I look at the report now it says my postvoiding residual on Dec 15 of that year was 137 cc. I had bladder calculi extracted on that same day and the report of that says my residual was 175 cc. On Dec 21 of that year my post voiding residual states that it was approximately 250 cc. On top of this I had chronic Prostatitis. I think I made a mistake having the TURP done, John. Don't be a fool. If it doesn't bother you-- leave it alone. I let my not being able to pee right go on for years. I am suffering severe depression right now and feel as if my life is hanging on a thread. I don't know if there is anywhere for me to turn to and read these posts to try and get some answers. I manage to go through my life a day at a time and hoping that someone on here will give me some encouragment and say to me that Yes, Steve life is worth living and you will eventually find an answer. Ken knows, He has been with me on this journey, but right now feeling is if I had made a mistake and rushed into it is more than my emotions can handle. After all it Is My body; how could the dr. have done this to me. So PEASE think this over. It has been over 6 years now and I am srill suffering for the very dreadful decision I have made because I was in such pain. If you are not in pain, please don't do it, John. I implore you

Steve  

• Posted

Hi Steve,

Thanks for getting back and explaining a little more your situation. Ok so you are saying you shouldn't have done the TURP because it did not fix your urinating issue and produced the retrograted ejaculation condition. But what do you do for not being able to pee for the past 6 years, do you self-cath. As for me well there is a blockage and the first step is to remove the blockage because of my huge prostate, don't want to wear a cath or self-cath forever.

Thanks and hang in there

John

• Posted

Hey John I thank you for your reply and I am sorry for your problem.  I started having a problem many years ago.  I started peeing less and the steam was not that good.  I am under doctor care I have High blood pressure a heart problem and stage 2 suger.  I do go to the doctor and all is good with that but with something down below.  I throught it was just my age. In 2014 I got a kidney infection which I have been having for many years 4 or 5 a year.  I got very sick in August of that year.  After not being able to take anymore I called my son to take me to the hospital.  He had to help me to the car could not walk was a yellow color was dizzy and had 103 fever.  They took me right away.  Took blood and my white clood cell was over 25000.  I had sepsis.  They my rearl problem started.  The doctor ask for a urine sample.  I told him I just pee before I got there and I don't pee on demand.  I have been that way all my life.  He left the room and said we will see.  10 minutes later 2 nurses came in the room and told my son to leave I ask what was going on I got no reply Long story short.  They tollk my pants off and force a catheter in me without telling me a word.  I gave up after that.  He tried 2 time never got it in my bladder.  They just left.  My son came in and I told him what happen he sai why did they not tell me what they were doing.  I had to be cleaned up Had blood on the gown and on my penis.  I peed a hour later on my own.  The only good thing that came out of that was I got my urologist he is great I had to go see him to see what was the problem.  After many test he did a scope on me.  He found a stricture just befor the prostate.  That was why I was getting the infection.  Was on many pill so I did have retro with a couple of them did not like it and never want it again.  To me it made me feel incomplete.After 6 month he checked the stricture again and he could not get the camera in the prostate.  We tryed a few more pill which did not work.  He offered me the urolift which I look up and felt it work work for me. April of 2015  6 weeks later I had it done.  Had a catheter in for 3 days which my urologist said it would be best for me.  Had it done at 1PM on a monday and my that night my urine was clear.  Had the catheter removed on wed and for the first 24 hours it burned.  but by friday I was peeing with no problem.  It had been great I had 4 implants put in and don't feel them at all.  In november I was to have my stricture checked but I had a infection which hit my prostate and kidneys . I was on ciproflexion 1000 mg for a month.  When he did the next scope he found one of the implants was on done.  So 4 weeks later I had the repair.  What happen was my prostate got smaller and he had to tighten all the implants.  Had the catheter for 4 days which I hated. All was good for the week.  I started back on my blood thinner  On sun I went to the bathroom and peed and I felt a push.  When I got up I found all blood I went into bladder retention I went to the hospital and was in the waiting room for 3 hours having bladder spasm. Thet hurt like hell.   I had to have surgery because of the blood thinner.  Had 2 more blood clots around my prostate was in the hospital for 3 days.  Had to have a 24 hout flush to get rid of the blood and clots.  could not wait to get that catheter out but sometimes you have to have it done.  All is good now and I thank my doctors for there help.   My blood thinners were cut down.  Life is good and I will never give up anything just to pee.  I think the urolift would help you and who know the prostate may go down like mine did.  Sorry it was so long but think before you do anything.  You should not have to give up anything if there is something else that may help.  Ken   
    • Posted

Yes the TURP Did fix my urinating issue, John. But my problem was Prostatitis pain and so together with this disease AND my urinating issues (my prostate was in size 60 grams, Multiple bladder stones and my blaader was 1/2 full it seams of stagnant urine) I went ahead reluctantly with the peocedure). Looking back on it now, though I wonder if I made the right decision after reading the posts on here. My journey has been of psychological and emotional ups and Downs because of my actions and that of this Drs. quick ( next day) fix to my impending urinary symptoms. I try to tell myself that there was no other way, but the reality takes a hold of me and I have regretts. I'm trying to find a place after 6 years of misery to put myself into so that I can once again enjoy what life has to offer. Please don't make the same mistake that I made, John. If there is one thing in my life that I can do to save someone else from the same misjudgement about a dr. that I had during these difficult years it will have all been for a very good reason. Please think it over my friend!!!   Steve 
    • Posted

Hi Ken

Thank you so much for your touching story, you are very brave to have gone through all that, not sure what to think but not sure if the Urolift is the way to go, you had problems with it and so are most people that done it, the prostate does not shrink it's just compressed but keeps growing at a 2% rate per year so you most likely will always have some issues with it plus all kinds of infection everytime they work in there, in any case i appreciate the time your are taking to explain to me your story and I sure hope one day you will be well and wish a lot of luck for all of us that are suffering from this condition.

Keep the faith

John

• Posted

Hi Steve

Thanks for getting back to me, if I understand correctly you had a wrong diagnostic of BPH and got TURP instead of treatment but really you had Prostatitis which could of been cured with antibiotics, as for me according to all test I have BPH with a huge prostate and also had an episode of urine retention about 6 years ago where the urologist then told me my prostate was a little big and gave me flowmax and things got back to normal. So you are saying maybe I have Prostatitis instead of BPH, but I had all BPH symptoms, in any case I'm doing more research and should maybe try to live a day without the catheter to see if I can urinate and empty my bladder before getting an operation.

Thanks for great advice

John

• Posted

Hi again, John

No, I had BPH and the TURP in most cases cured this. I pee like a race horse now. For many years my stream was EXTREMELY weak and my bladder retained more and more urine to the point wear I developed many bladder stones. I also had multiple kidney stones. I think what happened to me is that the stail urine somehow got down into my prostate and infected the organ to the point where I developed chronic prostatitis. Antibiotics were of no help in fighting this awful disease. I tried Cipro and Bactrum for years with no relief at all. I'm seeing a wonderful Dr. now who I think is going to try to help me. I put my COMPLETE faith in him and will follow his instructions to the very letter.

What I'm trying to tell you is that maybe I didn't need the TURP at all. This awful Dr. rushed into it, when I thought it might help my prostatitis symptoms. The symptoms being having pain in the perrenial area, feeling like your sitting on a lump. My symptoms started with a burning feeling at the end of my penis. I wish I was offered Avadort in addition to the Flomax that I was taking. That might have helped down the line; but instead I was rushed into the hospital and they did the TURP without even telling me that there were medications for the condition that could help me. I don't even believe in the urolifts because if medication can help you down the line, why bother with these medical procedures at all.

I HOPE I can help you,John  Please think this thing over and know that you have a Friend on here that may have just met his calling.

Sincerely,

Steve   

• Posted

Hi Steve,

Thanks for getting back and explaining to me your situation so I can understand it better, I do understand you being rushed through the TURP operation that you probably did not need and not giving the medication alternatibe but as for me I don't have any of these Prostatitis symptoms so I'm kind of stuck in a position of believing 3 urologist that have the same diagnostic of BPH and kind of desparate to pee like you like a horse.

Thanks for being there much appreciated

John

• Posted

Well, I don't know wether I needed it or not, John: but I wish I were given some kinds of alternatives to my situation. I was given none. It was Christmas and he was going away; I was in extreme discomfort. I DO wish things were different. I DO count on the LORD every day, John to get me through and see a light at the end of the tunnel. I'm so desperately hoping this nice young Dr. a friend turned me onto here will sincerely take me under his care and provide a Miracle for me to face life again with a smile on my face. I never meant to hurt anyone in this life, If there's cosequences for this Dr. up North, I hope he pays for them.

Steve  

• Posted

Hi Steve,

I understand where you`re coming from, most doctores are like robots, no human feelings, for them it`s a business to make money, the 2nd urologist I saw that day for the Green light surgery had another 52 patients that day so not really any time to concentrate on each patient and take the time to offer different options and alternative. In any case I believe in Karma, and the guilty one will get a taste of it, no one escapes the Lord's law.

Be strong, good things will happen

John

• Posted

Hey John  Steven is a friend.  He had many problem in 2009.  He must have had prostatitis in 2009 and the doctor over look it and just did the turp.  He also had kidney and bladder stones.  He was a mess and in a lot of pain  The doctor should have treated his prostatitis first and he may have not need the turp his prostate was not that big.  What kind of blockage do you have.  If you have a urolift yhat will open you prostate up and you should be able to pee.  Make sure you have the information on anything before it's to late PLEASE  Ken
    • Posted

I'm fine now and I would do the urolift again.  It something that just happen.  There are flaws in all of the procedures.With the turp sometime you have to have 2 or so and then something else.  My doctor still don't know why my prostate shrink.  My doctor said that it was half the size it was when he did the urolift a year ago.  I only had one infection last year which was in december.  I have no pain I don't get up at night to pee and I am on no pill for the prostate or bladder.  My orgasm are still very intense and at 60 I am very happy and greatful to my urologist  Life is to short to give up anything.  Over the last 7 month's I have been in the hospital 7 times and I will keep going for has long as I can.  Had many thing Gallbadder 3 A-Fib attack and the baldder issuse but life goes on.  It's your body and you have to do what you think is right for you.  I hope you can live with the side effects and you have a good procedure.  Take care and let me know how you are doing ken    
    • Posted

John  I think you should try somthing else first before you have something burn away and you don't even know if it is going to work.  Doctor only can tell you what they think may work.  They don't know for sure until it is done.  With you having a catheter for so long I think you need to try to pee on your own because it looses it memory to pee.  Please get all the information before you go on there assembly line. Think about what your doing please Ken
    • Posted

Yes John,

I believe that. I'm still wondering if there's any scar tissue in there that might be bothering me, hopefully I will find out soon. You do what you feel you must do. I try to respect everybodies decision on here and treat them as human beings in what ever decisions they may make in their lives. If they have a beef, I try to support them. I hope you can respect that. Please keep in touch, John on where you go fom here. I will always be Supportive of you.

Steve

• Posted

Hi ken

Thanks for the message and concern, as far as my blockage, well first the way all this happened is I felt sick and nauseated, went to ER, had my creatinine level way high to 230, after other test they noticed that I had 750ml of urnine in my bladder and at that point I had no blockage at all but I wasn`t emptying my bladder so they put a cath on for 5 days, then I had a systoscopy and after that they sent me home no cath but told me if you can`t pee to come back to the ER and have a cath put on, so I left home and drank a few water bottle but could not feel any urge to pee and when I tried, only  a few drop would come out so from this point on I could not pee so I went back to ER the same night and they again put a cath on which I now have for the past 6 weeks, just changed it last week to a new one, I also have a valve on so during the day I keep the urine in the bladder to make it work and empty a few times a day and at night I put the bag on, so this is where I am now, 3 urlologist told me my prostate was huge and needed operation and that I was past taking care of it with just Flowmax. So now not sure what else to do, removing the cath and see if I can pee or just wait for the call to get operated.

Thanks Ken

John

• Posted

Hi Ken

Thanks for explaining to me a little more about your Urolift episode, yes you`re right there are flaws and risks with all methods. I can`t find any place here that practise Urolift and don`t have the cash to fly out somewhere to have it done so looks like I will have to go with HOLEP.

I`ll keep you posted

Thanks Ken

John

• Posted

Hi Steve

Thanks for getting back and I appreciate and respect what you have to say. I'm kind stuck in a position that I need to trust the urologist, Urolift for me it's out of reach here in Montreal, don't have the budget to fly to the States and have it done. I'm not even sure either if after doing HOLEP i'll be able to pee ok so what else can I do.

I'll keep you posted

John

• Posted

Hi John,

My prostate was a little smaller than yours so I'm not sure why they did the TURP on me. I wish it had been different, but that was back almost 7 years ago!!!  I will keep you in my prayers and be here to support you in whatever endeaver you may choose. I'm curious: why a HOLEP in stead of a Turp? Is it because of the less invasivness of the procedure? Please get back and let me know, John. I will follow you throigh this thing if you want me too

Steve

• Posted

I am sorry that you can't have the urolift where you live.  I guess it's only in the US.  I guess the HOLEP is better then the others.  Read up on it and there is suppose to be less bleeding.  This is only if your concerned about retro.  Ask him when he does the procedure not to touch the bladder neck muscle.  This way you have a 50/50 shot of not having retro. It will depend on whats left of the prostate.   All they need to do is open the prostate to help you pee.  See what he saids.  It's worth a shot. I trust my doctor but I alway look at what I'm signing before I am put under.  He does not have control and can't do anything without my permission.  I know it alot but I what it all...I will hope and pray for you that this will work and you can get rid of that catheter.  They are a pain.  5 days was the most for me. That catheter tore my pee hole and have have to sit down to pee because I have 2 steams 1 from the top and one from the bottom. It all depands on the force of it.  But life goes on.  Please let me know how you are doing....Ken Orlando Fl   
    • Posted

Hi Steve,

Not sure why, by what the feel I have form Urologists, they attempts to remove the blockage that an enlarge prostate brings so for them it's normal procedure, not sure if they have a size limit or minimum size to schedule an operation and in your case you had TURP. Well with HOLEP yes it's less invasive, less bleeding, maximum of 24 hours stay, cath for only the first 24 hours, less chances of erectile discfunctions, good for any size of prostate, so for me it's the number one choice. My Urologist told me that it's the most efficient method and with the other methods they wouldn't be able to get the job done properly. I did extensive research on HOLEP and it's way better that Green Light.

I'll keep you posted and I do appreciate you following me through this

thanks

John

• Posted

Hi Ken

Thanks for the message,

Yes there is less bleeding with HOLEP, no size limit of the prostate to do the procedure, 24 hour stay at the most, they can also grab some samples for further analysis, less chances of erectile dysfunctions, so all in all much better than TURP or Green Light. Yes that is a good idea, I will tell him not to touch the bladder neck to get a better chance not to have retro, I can't remember the part he wanted to remove when I was in his office, he showed me a diagram of the prostate and showed me where he would remove so I'll ask him again before the procedure.

Much appreciated Ken

John

• Posted

The way I look at it.  If the prostate is giving you the problem Just get rid of the prostate center to make a opening.  Why distroy the bladder neck. If you have ever seen the turp procedure they start at the bladder neck and cut all the way down to the bottom of the prostate borh sides to make the opening.  If I would you I would tell the doctor not to touch the bladder neck and leave it alone.  He has to do what you say.  Don't let him talk you into it.  He does have control of the laser and were he starts. It is your body and you have to deal with the side effect not him.  Just trying to help why have retro if you don't have to.... Also of doctors this is just rotine and they just go in and cut away and don'think about the men.  The part I think he is talking about is the middle lobe of the prostate that is the one that cause the most problem.  Try to have a good weekend what left of it.  Ken  
    • Posted

Hi Ken

Thanks for getting back, yes for sure it make sense, so I'll have a serious talk with the urologist before the procedure.

Yes have a good remaining of weekend yourself too

John

• Posted

Oh my God...... John I just watched a videos of the Helop procedure done at the Mayo Clinic.  I could not watch all of it.  What that doctor has in store for you I would not wish on my worse enemy.  My god your not going to have any prostate left and they will cut and destory your bladder neck.  They cut the whole inner part of the prostate and leave the shell. Just the shell.   WHY????? To me that is a waste.  Why not just get ride of the middle lobe which is causeing the problem that would make a big enough opening for you to pee.  Oh my god I can't believe they do that to a man and they get paid to destory a mans body.  Why get ride of the whole prostate all they have to get ride of whats in the urethra.  Leave the rest only.  This is why you end up with retro you have no bladder neck and no prostate.  Just a empty schell.  I would talk to your doctor and see if he can leave the bladder neck and only cut some of the prostate.  I know it's not what is done but maybe they should .  They don't have to deal with the outcome.  I wonder how many doctors would have it done to them self.  I am very concerned and scared for you.  They just kept cutting away at everything and just kept saying try to stay on a straight line and they they push everthing into the bladder and suck it out....Life should not be like that.  He should be able to open you up enough and not distroy the whole prostate......I will say a prayer for you.  PS  I don't know if you have this other procedure in canada but there is a doctor working on a new procedure for BPH.  It's called Focused Laser Ablation.  It was a treatment for prostate cancer but the doctor found out that it makes the prostate smaller and get ride of BPH... 
    • Posted

Kenneth, are you a doctor? Or just playing one on here?

Maybe you should tone it down a bit. I keep reading posts like this, and just can't believe my eyes.

Do you know whether they can do Holep without a bladder neck incision? Or is that a new procedure you came up with to prevent RE? Why didn't the doctors think of it and provide it?

For some people, having the freedom to pee when you need or want to, far outweighs any other side effects. But I keep reading about you going on and on about basically how bad RE is on here. 

I for sure would do Holep or TURP when the time comes, over having to use a catheter or not be able to go about my daily life. I'm 53, have an active life and sex life, but I can live with RE over not being able to pee on command. 

Forums should be for sharing information, yes. But let the professionals do the rest.

• Posted

Thank you Motoman for the reply and commant.   This is just my opinion which on here are what men are giving.  I have had the catheter and not being able to pee.  You don't know pain until you go through bladder spasm.  I was just in the hospital because of my blood thinner.  Woke up one morning to go to the bathroom all that came out way blood and I started to clog.  Ended up in the hospital waiting for 5 hours to have a catheter put in.  Everytime I tryed to move I had a bladder spasm.  The nurse put a catheter in and had to flush me out after 15 minutes still bleeding.  Had to have  emergency surgery to see why I was bleeding.  The doctor that was on duty was not mine and before I signed any papers I talked with the doctor and made sure he sign a paper that no matter what it was my prostate was not to be removed or cored out in any way.  I would not have had it if he would have not signed it.  I had 2 more blood clogs around my prostate.  The burned them and stopped the bleeding.  Had a 24 hour flush with 6000cc of saline going through my bladder,  At 47 they wanted to take my prostate out because they said I have cancer.  I told them no I wanted more test it turned out to be a prostate infection.  Didn't care for retro then and at 60 I will not deal with it either.  The orgasm was nothing did not even feel right when I had a pill that caused it.  Got off that quick.  Some men say they can deal with it but when it happen that is a diffrent story.  I feel sorry for John and any men that has to give up one thing for another.  Canada does not offer any of the new procedures and after watching that videos I could not believe it. Maybe I was a little overwhelmed after watching the video.  I know the doctor is not going to do anything diffrent for John but I wish they could. When having any procedures done you must be aware of all that is going to happen.  Some doctor down play everything but it is a traumatic experence to a man and a lot to deal with.  Life is to short and we should not have to give up anything for something else. My urologist has told me that he has not been doing many Turp or Helop because men today have changed there view on there orgasms.There are to many new procedures out there that can give new hope. I wish you well and I hope you life is good.  Ken  
    • Posted

Hi Ken

Thanks for that, well you know maybe not all Urologist scrap the whole prostate so for sure I will have a good talk before moving forward with it but for me the trade off from not being able to pee and wearing a catheter for months to having HOLEP done and being able to pee and have that retrograted ejaculation condition, I would still chose to do the HOLEP right now I'm misearable walking around with a cath and not having sex so I just can't wait to get it done, for me self-cath is not an option I don't see myself doing this 6 times a day plus how many infection will I get doing this.

John

• Posted

I guess you enjoyed Motoman comment.  You know I'm right.  And he does not know your whole story.  Have a great life if you can. 
    • Posted

Yes I know.  Having a catheter is the pits.  I got alot of flex on some of the things I said but most of it is true.  When having anything done you have to have all the faxs before you have anything done.  If you have a good urologist he will tell you everything you need to know and not downplay anything that you are asking.  Good luck and I hope all works out for you..You sound like a very nice guy and you need to get on with you life.  Take care and let me know what is going on..Ken
    • Posted

Thanks Ken, I know you don't mean harm and you just speak your mind which is ok by me, at the end I will be the one deciding but you are right about getting all the facts from the Urologist and at the same time a lot of them have huge egos and can take things the wrong way so in a way we're very vunerable in front of Urlogist when we are desperate, I have a 10 year old daughter on a joint custody 50% of the time so I need to be fixed soon to be able to do things with her, had to fight my ex and court system for 9 years to finally convince a lady judge that I was a good dad so I'm use to fighting,

I'll keep you posted

thanks

John

• Posted

Your a good man.  You need to get well to be with your daughter.  Yes you have the finale say what happens to you.  Just talk with your doctor and get all the information.  Like I said if he's a good doctor he will answer all you question ...When are you haveing the surgery?  Ken 
    • Posted

This is all I have to say to you because you don't listen.  For the last time .  You cousin and I both told you that you have to get on with your life.  What happen in 2009 is done and over.  Your doctor did the turp on you because your middle lube was so big it was inside your bladder.  If he would have caught the prostatitis then you may have not had to have it. I'm done Have a nice life 
    • Posted

Ken,

The only problem with this is the middle lobe was noted when he was doing the TURP. Are you saying that if he treated the prostatitis then the middle lobe would have went down. That just doesn't make sense. AND what about all the bladder stones and retained urine which did form the bladder stones.

• Posted

John I was just on a site with a doctor in New York.  Have your urologist say anything about a stent to open the urethra.  They could put it in right where the prostate is.  Just asking  Who knows..Ken 
    • Posted

Could you give me the address of the site?  I'd like to know more about the stent.
    • Posted

Hi Ken

Thanks for the message, no the urologist did not mention it but I read on it a while back and again there are other types of side effects:

This treatment does not require anesthesia. But it may lead to incontinence. The stent may become dislodged. Stones may form on the stent. There may be blockage. The stent may be hard to remove. Minor side effects include having to urinate often and right away, dribbling of urine, discomfort, and light bleeding.You should not get the stent if your urethra is narrow.

Seems to me that we can't win no matter which way we go but I do appreciate your help

John

• Posted

Here you go...Go under  Henry Ford Health System.. Mens Health  and Treatment options.  You can e-mail them to get information on the Stent treatment  Ken 
    • Posted

I am just trying to help.  I know my urologist did say that they are hard to get out.  They cause more damage.  I have a stricture and was looking into it for my self at one time.  It's doing go now.  After the last 2 procedures I had the instrument they use dilated the stricture so for now it good.  No surgery but I may need it later..I still wish that canada would have a few of the newer procedure that we have in the US.  But the Helop is better then the other 2  Less bleeding thats good for you so you can heal faster and have some fun with your daughter  Take care  Ken 
    • Posted

Hey John.  I just read your post again. Were you offered the Flo max or did they just tell you you need the surgery.  And not give it to you.  I wonder if a antibiotics and flo max would help you.          I had a prostate infection in December  of 2015 took ciprofloxacin 500mg 2 times a day for a month. In March when he did my repair my prostate was smaller then it was when he did the Urolife.  He was surprised and don't know why......When are you going for you surgery  //Ken 
    • Posted

Hi Ken

Thanks for the message, yes I was given Flomax but did not do anything, 6 years ago I had an episode of blocage so they installed a catheter for 5 days then did more test and finally gave me some flowmax and was ok and stop taking them. So again about over 2 months ago now I did not feel good but was urinating fine so I went to the ER and they noticed that my creatinine was at 230 which is very high so they did more test and saw that I had about 800ml of urine in my bladder so they again installed a cath for 5 days then a systoscopy then right after that I could not urinate anymore or did not feel any urge to urinate so the put the cath on again and it's going on 2 months that I have it on, I installed a valve on it so I can give some action to my bladder, no date for operation yet, they are very slow, can't do much but wait, there's only one place that perfom HOLEP here in Montreal and the urologist is extremely busy so not much else to do but wait and hope that i will happen soon,

Hope you're doing ok

John

• Posted

John Been trying to sent a private message will not go through  Ken
    • Posted

Hey John  I hope your having a good day.  Been trying to send a private message but it will not go through.  I sent my Urologist a e-mail to ask him some questions about you.  If your medium lobe is enlarged you would not be able to have a urolift but I told him that was not done in canada.  I sent him another so he could clear something up.  If your medium lobe  is not the problem you would not have to have a full Holep.They could leave the bladder neck alone and just make the tunnel on both side of the prostate that would open you up.  But it's up to the doctor if he wants to do it that way.  But if the medium lobe is large they have no choise to cut the bladder neck and make the tunnel.  I will let you know...I will not hear nothing till Monday.....Ken
    • Posted

Hi Ken thanks for the message, not sure why you can't send private, in any case not too sure what part of my prostate is enlarge so couldn't tell you if my medium lobe is enlarge, you are referring to (median lobe) which is located at the top of the prostate near the bladder opening, I presume the urologist should know this by looking at the echo and rectal examination. I'm not sure the size of my prostate but according to the technician that did the echo it was very big so Urolift would most likely be out of the question since it has a size limit plus I heard many negative feedback on the procedure and results plus the prostate keep growing and stens installed could penetrate the prostate and cause extreme pain plus many other intervention and time to heal afterwards before attemping HOLEP or something else.

My only worry really is will I be able to urinate normally after the operation and I suppose that no one can really give me a guaranteed answer until I go through it, after a few months of wearing a catheter my bladder might take time to get back to normal even if I have a valve in now.

I appreciate the time you are taking for my case Ken

You're a good man

John

• Posted

Yes don't know why.  Yes he said that if the median lobe is large a urolift can not be done and they would to a turp or what your waiting to have.  The median lobe when it inlarged go in the the bladder and that is why you pee so little It will have to be cut out and so will the bladder neck and the prostate tissue .  After it is cut all of it is push into the bladder and then sucked out...  It will take time for your bladder to heal and start to react on it's own.  Let hope it will not take to long so you can get on with your life..Ken
    • Posted

Thanks for getting back Ken,

Well I'll hope for the best for sure because no body can know the outcome of the operation until it happens, everyone reacts differently I suppose.

I'll keep you posted

Thanks

John

• Posted

Yes we all heal in our own why and I know you have been trouugh alot.  You would like you life back.  I know with the side effects you will deal with them as they come but life goes on.  Just make sure you talk with your doctor and tell him you concern  I just wish there was a way to keep everything and not give up one for the other.  If there is anyway they don't have to cut the bladder neck that would help. Because if the problem is just the prostate why cut the bladder neck.  That would give you a chance. But if your mediem lobe is the problem there is no other way Still I hope all will be good for you.  I know you just what to get rid of that catheter but i hope you have time to relax without it so your bladder can get somewhat back to normal  Take care i will say a prayer for you  Ken  
    • Posted

Thanks Ken, I will for sure talk to the urologist to get a clearer picture to see if they really need to cut the bladder neck or not, yes can't wait to remove that thing, but with the valve at least I give my bladder some work, mind you I still don't feel the need to urinate but I go every few hours to open the valve and empty the urine.

I'll keep you posted for sure and thanks for the prayer, I sure hope you're doing ok too

John

• Posted

Yes I'm doing fine Been had no problem in the last few month.  I enjoy watching my grandkids that are her in florida.  I have 5 all together.  The 2 in florida the girl is 4 and the boy is 3 months.  It been all time that I change a boby but I'm having fun.  I hope i stay out of the hospital for a while.  The last 8 months were the pits.  7 Times in the hospital 3 surgerys.  On tuesday I'm going on vacation to Biloxi to have some fun..  I hope you having a little fun with your daughter.  I know you can do some things but it will be better without the tube hanging.  Take care buddy  Ken 
    • Posted

Well getting ready for bed.  Just hope you don't mind me thinking about your bladder neck.  I just hate when they do something to fix one thing and you have to give up something else.  You know what I'm saying.  If you don't have to have it done to open up the urethra why should you.  I watched that surgery They cut the bladder neck at 5 and 7 and run the laser up and down the sides of the prostate.  If your one lobe is not the problem why do it just because that is the way the surgery is done.  Just cut the prostate and get out of there that would open you up enough to pee.  If you have to that is one thing but if you don't leave it alone.  I know your main concern is to get better to have some fun with your daughter.  Do you have anymore kids.....Take care buddy  email me anytime  Ken  
    • Posted

Hi Ken, yes for sure you're right, it's just using simple logic so I will do my best to get a straight answer but again we are at the mercy of the urologist and we need them they don't need us so they don't really care because it's not their body so that being said no I only have one daughter to cherish and love, yes can't wait to feel better and go on with my life

I'll be in touch

Thanks

John

• Posted

Yes we are at the mercy of the urologist. That is why we must trust them with our body but they should listen to us and do what we want It is our bodys. My urologist is great he feel that he will do what ever you want if if he can have the same results.   You only need a tunnel.  Your prostate is causing you the problem.  So laser both sides of the prostate.  To me that makes cents to open you up.  But he may just want to do the procedure the way he was trained to do it.  And yes it is not his body and he does not have to deal with anything. That is why they tell you all well be the same.  And you tell them no.it not.  He will say I don't know.  No doctor knows how it is unless he has had it done.  Get better soon my friend get the answeres you need and go from there.  The main goal is  to get better...Ken    
    • Posted

Hey John sorry I have not talk to you in a while went on vacation for the week.  My urologist sent me a e-mail about some of the things that I told you.  He just want to clairify what he is taking about.  I will type it just the way he sent it to me..If you want to talk it over with your doctor.  If the median lobe is large then a Holep should be done an of course you will get retro. But if it  only the bilateral kissing lobes then it woud be technically difficult but possible to try to save the internal sphincter and preserve retrograde ejaculation. But you do run the risk of a less effective surgery.  All you have to do is make a tunnel.  It all deppands on your doctor how good and caring he is about the patients well being.  Take care  It is something to talk tohim about..Ken
    • Posted

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the message, hope you enjoyed your vacation, I appreciate the help you send my way and it make sense. I guess by looking at the echo or the prostate the urologist could tell if the median lobe is large or not, in any case I'll talk it over with the urologist I know he's probably the best in the region he even taught urologist from the states how to properly do HOLEP, maybe you can do research on him, his name is Dr. Mostafa Elhilali from MUHC Royal Victoria Hospital.

Hope they call me soon

Take care

John

• Posted

I will look him him.  To me it makes scents.  If you don't have to cut the bladder neck to get the results why do it.  I guess it's up to the doctor.  I know my doctor has done it for a few patients that were in there early 50 I know he know me he had to redo one because it did not give hime good flo but there were a couple that worked out fine.  He is all the patient and what they want.  Take care  Ken 
    • Posted

Ok thanks Ken for getting back, yes doctors have huge egos and we are at their mercy and desparate to get well so we have also to make sure we don't rub them the wrong way, you know what I mean

thanks

John

• Posted

Yes they can be into themselves.  I have read some things on him and there are more good then bad.  If he is as good as everyone says he is he should not have a problem helping you and doing the procdure the way you would like and not doing it to take care of his ego.  It's going to be the way you talk with him but just be frank with him and see if he is out to help you or himself.  He should have your concerns in hand not his. because you are the one having the surgery and you are the one that has to deal with the outcome not him .Ken  
    • Posted

Hey John How are you today.Don't know why my last e-mail was stopped.  I looked up your doctor and he seam like he is very well like.  THere were a few that did not like him but most of it was fine. He seam like he know what he is doing.  He should be able to help you with the surgery it just will be the way you ask him.  It will depand on if he want to help you or his ego.  But I will keep my finger cross Buddy.  Take care and enjoy what you can  Ken
    • Posted

Hi Ken thanks for your feeback, much appreciated, yes I say some good and a few bad reviews on ratemds com , you know these urologist are so busy and overworked so ti's very hard to get their human side to come out, they are like robots , in any case I'll hope for the best and sure hope they'll call me this month it's kind of ridiculis  having to wait that long when you're sick

Enjoy your Sunday

John

• Posted

Hey John  I hope you had a good Sunday.  I am sorry that you have to wait so long for some help.  Does he every call you or can you get a hold of him.  I wish he would call you so you can talk before the surgery. So you can a dress your concerns. It would be nice.  It seam like your just a number on the line.  My urologist is great.  He is very busy guy and he is in high demand but he all ways finds time to talk with and answer any questions  All I have to do is email him and he replys within a day.  He gave me the answers to the question on your case no problem he is jsut trying to help the patient live the best way he can.  I hope it will be soon and he can answer the questions you have.  It will be the way you talk to him and the way he takes it.  Anyway I hope he can help you so you can get on with your life.  Have you gone back to the hospital to see if you could pee on your own.  With having a catheter in for so long the bladder gets lazy.  Have a good week buddy Ken
    • Posted

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the message and encouragement, yes I guess I'm a number, I did call the hospital last week and again today, I talked to his secretary and no way to talk to him, much too busy, she told me secretaries will call me for the date, no one did, so I called back today and got the answering machine, left a message, we'll see, I'm schedule to change my catheter on the 18th of May so I will ask them to let me some slacks for a few hours and see if I can pee before putting it back on while I wait for the operation.

I'll keep you posted

Much appreciated

John

• Posted

Yes I hope they will let you try.  It would be best for you to see if your bladder will act on it's own.  To be so busy that you can't see or talk to a patient I think is wrong.  Do e know who is he doing surgery on.  That's not right.  He should have time for his patients.  He is good but he should answer your question to help you relax and know what is best.  Keep me in touch  Try to relax.  That what my doctor told me today.  Lost my voice 5 weeks ago He told me it was from stress and the 2 surgerys that I had a couple of month's ago.  Just got 2 more pills to take.  I just take one day at a time.  Take care buddy..  Ken. 
    • Posted

Hi Ken

Thanks for the message, yes you're right all the way, he should take time with each of his patient, I had some bad news today, I decided to call the commisionaire for complaints at the hospital to ask if it's normal to wait that long to be operated, after reviewing my file she called me back and told me there are only 2 urologist for the whole hospital performing HOLEP and there is a 70 patient waiting list some patients have been waiting since February so she told me another 4 to 6 months and also considering the summer holidays are coming so I'm at a lost, my only choice is to try to pee on my own on the 18th when I go for my catheter change and from there maybe learning how to do CIC. I live in Montreal a big city of over 7 millions, my brother lives in ontario province and a friend of his got the same thing 3 weeks ago and was operated a few days ago, mind you they did the TURP no HOLEP in that area.

Yes I'm trying to relax but very difficult, a lot of frustration since I have a 10 year old daughter to take care of 50% of the time I need to stay positive I hope you're trying to relax too and take care of yourself,

Your help is much appreciated

Enjoy your day

John

• Posted

That is a same.  There is no other doctor that you could go to that can to the holep.  Don't get the turp.  You should not have to wait that long.  Is there no one in your brothers area that would do the holep.  What get me is you have not even talked anything over with the doctor.  It like your in he meat dept. Take a number and wait.  I have been talking with someone in your area that can get ahold of your doctor but I think that ia notgoing to do any good.  Hes do busy and he is not going to talk to you.  Where in ontario does your brother live maybe I can find someone to help you.  I have a brother in law from Tillberry Ontario.  You should not have to wait that long.  I know when I had my procedure done.  itwas done in 4 week after I taked wih my doctor.  I will pray that yo are able to pee on your own.  Ormaybe you just need to CIC for awhile.  Tha would give you some freedom...  Let me know my friend  This is a mess...Ken

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.