Help! I have the urge to pee constantly

Posted , 12 users are following.

I joined this forum hoping to get some input. I am 52,have BPI my prostate is 60 g. I am currently on Uroxatol. The past couple of weeks have been awful. Normally I go a lot but this is unbearable. The urge is constant even immediately after I go. Granted, I pee lot as it is but this is excessive and it's always burning and feels urgent. I'm wondering if I have A UTI? I have no idea. I have an appointment with my urologist on February 28 & tried to move it up today they said they can't get me in earlier. sad

0 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Samuel,

When I had your issues (two weeks ago), my uro was on vacation so I contacted my family doctor, who works for the same HMO and he ordered the lab test and Cipro prescription. As I said in a previous post, I took my first Cipro tablet at 1pm on day 1 of treatment, and there was a dramatic improvement in my symptoms in a few hours, so it's worth doing whatever you can to get this resolved as soon as possible. The Cipro prescription was very inexpensive ($9) and I had a $35 copay for the lab test. Well worth the cost! 

• Posted

Ask your doctor if he has not read the letter from Bayer telling doctors not to prescribe Cipro for UTI's or prostatitis due to the number of serious side effects..

• Posted

Derek,

I am aware of the Cipro side effects, but have never experienced any problems. There are other antibiotics that will work just as well, but Cipro is the most commonly prescribed antibiotic for prostate infections. The instructions I got with the Cipro consists of multiple pages of possible side effects. I contacted my doctor and he responded that the side effects were rare. Next time (if there is a next time) I will ask for Macrobid - there are several others that work just about as well. 

• Posted

google, Letter from Bayer to Doctors Regarding Cipro.

• Posted

Derek,

Just read the letter.....so if I had read this a week ago I would not have taken the Cipro. Fortunately, I have taken Cipro several times in the past and have never had an issue with it. I have two tablets left. Maybe I won't take them - my UTI appears to be cured. Thanks for calling this to my attention. 

Tom

• Posted

Next time you can discuss Cipro alternatives with your doc, but for now FINISH your course of Cipro, even if symptoms have gone away. You don't want to relapse and  have to start over! 

Jim

• Posted

At this point, I'd finish them rather than have a shortened treatment course. No symptoms on antibiotics doesn't mean you're necessarily cured. Next time, you can look into alternatives. I'm sure you'll be fine.

Jim

• Posted

Neurologists  say that I have a type of neuropathy in my lower left leg and a weakness in the tendon. there is no way to actually prove it was caused by the Cipro or Fluoroquinolones prescribed on several occasions 
    • Posted

Good advice. I only have 2 left. Since I'm not having any adverse reactions perhaps I'll be OK. Might as well just finish the last ones. Next time something different...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.