Help!!...is Mirtazapine ruining my marrage?

Posted , 26 users are following.

Unknown to me, my wife started taking mirt a year ago (15mg) and I only found out about 3 months ago. My wife is usually a very kind and loving person, but over the past year she has changed dramaticly. Over the past year my wife started to have nightmares where I would be woken to her screams, she has a developed a very short temper and becomes very angry with me, it seems like I can't do anything without upsetting her, she has started swearing (the "F" word) and even has spoken antiracially which is very out of charactor (she would normally tell someone off for speaking that way). Whats most upsetting is my wife has gone from someone who loves me so much (this is one of her facebook posts from 7 months ago " 33 Years ago ( 1982 ) When I was 14 years old I fell in love with this gorgeous guy .... Love him just as much today as I did all those years ago " ) to moving out 8 weeks ago. A week ago she accused me of grabbing her and pushing her against the wall and punching the wall, which never happened (I am guessing it was one of her nightmares). Worst of all is our 5 year old daughter is in the middle of it all. She has been in tears asking me why mummy and daddy aren't living together any more. There is more that has happened but this post is getting too long. Suffice to say I am very depressed and upset at what is happening in my life. Has anyone else had similar problems? is there a chance that if she stops taking mirt that she will return to her old self? (I did at one stage mention that  her meds could be doing this and she bit my head off instantly). What can I do to turn this situation around? Is Mirtazapine causing this?

Please someone help because every time I try  it only gets worse!!!

One heart broken husdand and father

Michael

1 like, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

It sounds like bipolar disorder. I could be wrong, it best to talk to your wife about your problems and tell her you love her often and take it from there.

• Posted

You are sadly not alone. My fiance was put on this drug almost 3 weeks ago. It has ruined our life together. He is either distant or angry and he has a terminal illness on top of that. The doctors won't listen to me and think everything is fine as long as it is not affecting his blood and urine testing. My guy is now in rehab for a broken bone and we have zero contact. I don't know if he will be coming home or living in the streets or with someone who has gotten between us and managed to brainwash him after he started this evil drug. I am at my wits end with over a decade relationship going down the drain. It's just not right that the doctors who knew him for 4 short weeks are allowed to ruin people's lives like this. I'm devastated.

• Posted

My brother, Mark has Down syndrome. He is 60 years old. He experienced very similar symptoms shortly after beginning Mirtazapene. Nightmares, extreme irritability, distancing and eventually throwing himself down and saying I pushed him.

Whereas he used to say things along the lines of "you know how lucky I am to have you", he stopped looking me in the eye and began telling me "you never use to be like this". When he discontinued the medication abruptly per Dr. instruction he began hallucinating and was diagnosed "psychotic". He was on numerous antipsychotics until we finally weaned from all the meds. He is left a broken person. He lives most of his life in a world haunted by "those guys". He was originally prescribed Mirtazapene to spur his appetite. I had no idea it was a psychotropic. I will never forgive myself for sending my brother into this craziness. And almost every healthcare worker tells us that it had nothing to do with the Mirtazapene. I consider myself too intelligent to believe that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.