Help!!...is Mirtazapine ruining my marrage?

Posted , 26 users are following.

Unknown to me, my wife started taking mirt a year ago (15mg) and I only found out about 3 months ago. My wife is usually a very kind and loving person, but over the past year she has changed dramaticly. Over the past year my wife started to have nightmares where I would be woken to her screams, she has a developed a very short temper and becomes very angry with me, it seems like I can't do anything without upsetting her, she has started swearing (the "F" word) and even has spoken antiracially which is very out of charactor (she would normally tell someone off for speaking that way). Whats most upsetting is my wife has gone from someone who loves me so much (this is one of her facebook posts from 7 months ago " 33 Years ago ( 1982 ) When I was 14 years old I fell in love with this gorgeous guy .... Love him just as much today as I did all those years ago " ) to moving out 8 weeks ago. A week ago she accused me of grabbing her and pushing her against the wall and punching the wall, which never happened (I am guessing it was one of her nightmares). Worst of all is our 5 year old daughter is in the middle of it all. She has been in tears asking me why mummy and daddy aren't living together any more. There is more that has happened but this post is getting too long. Suffice to say I am very depressed and upset at what is happening in my life. Has anyone else had similar problems? is there a chance that if she stops taking mirt that she will return to her old self? (I did at one stage mention that  her meds could be doing this and she bit my head off instantly). What can I do to turn this situation around? Is Mirtazapine causing this?

Please someone help because every time I try  it only gets worse!!!

One heart broken husdand and father

Michael

1 like, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Same situation here. I find it difficult to believe the %s listed with sideaffects. The changes were almost instant and profound. Extremely snappy, defensive even towards general day to day kind of "just cos I'm interested" questions. Aggressive, lost ability to focus. Completely ignores me a lot of the time. Definitely little resemblance to the person I knew before. How can such a drug be available without advice or counselling ? I'm not a nurse and I don't really feel qualified to try to address the changes and potential impact that this complacency could be having on my partner

• Posted

P.S. This was the only page I found which addressed this situation
  • Posted

Yes, mirtazapine can definitely be causing her behaviour. I know, because it caused very unusual behaviour in me.  I had to stop the drug suddenly, because I was becoming very violent and was preoccupied with murdering certain people.  I've been off of it for three weeks now and had to take it twice due to nausea and vomiting.  The two times I've taken it (half a dose) I can feel altered, like I'm changing into that monster I became on mirtazapine.

Im a passive person who had no hatred toward anyone before taking mirtazapine.  As time went on my behaviour became more bizarre and violent.  Changes in my personality were profound.  I began smoking, taking drugs, swearing like a longshoreman and didn't care what effect my actions did to others.  Toward the end I felt my former self in my mind, observing myself doing strange, bizzare things, all the time asking "where did I go?  Will I ever be back?"  The sad thing is, I knew for a good year that mirtazapine had changed me, but still took it two to three times a week for insomnia.  I was unable to judge how poor my behaviour had become, but my family stepped in and begged me to get off of it.  In less than a week I became myself again and the difference was profound.  I am older and female, so I guess this reaction was very untypical.

There were many changes in me that were not part of my personality.  For instance, sarcasm.  I don't know how I got so good at it.  There were times when I became delusional and times I did unusual, even criminal acts.  I had no fear of getting caught.  No fear in a lot of things, yet other times I would be incapacitated by fear.  I have so many regrets about how I treated people and I cry a lot.  Something I never did while on mirtazapine.  I'm really been depressed, but never want to use another antidepressant.

Maybe someone else could ask your wife to taper off the mirtazapine if she is not open to you.  It really seems like the drug is at fault, since I experienced such a change it is very real to me.  When I came back, I was totally myself again.  Just kind of a beat up version, though. 

• Posted

I've only just started mirtazapine as I couldn't get on with citalopram or sertraline. I've had the best 2 nights sleep I've had in months although I had really bad dreams last night. My appetite has returned after 9 months of acid and reflux I suddenly feel better.

Reading these post though. Makes me wonder if I should quit before my body gets used to it or continue until I feel well enough to be weaned off it.

I'm scared now.

• Posted

Sorry this is so late, Rebecca.  To be fair my bizzare symtoms started after I began to add my own cocktail of drugs to the mirtazapine.  It did cause anger and abnormal thinking in me, but nothing I couldn't control.  Mirtazapine did nothing for depression with me, but I found I could sleep and eat while on it-two things I cannot do while in a depression.  You don't need to be afraid.  For me, it is very difficult to get off of, which you,may want to consider.  Some people, however, have no trouble getting off of mirtazapine, even after years of use.

• Posted

Hi michael. Just wondering if you are still active on this forum...the description you have of your life is virtually identical to mine. Please get back to me. Pete.
  • Posted

Sounds difficult !

The effects of the drug to enduce these kinds of behaviour, but you can't say that it certainly is the cause. The doctor should certainly be able to suggest something which could aid re-adjustment (I imagine.. as they're always so helpful !), but also could perscribe something else which doesn't produce the same harmful symptoms.

• Posted

Hi M1cha3l, 

I know this is an old post, just wondering what the outcome was? Did your relationship survive?

• Posted

Michael, what was the outcome?

I take mirtazapine and I have changed so much for the worse

• Posted

I can relate to this. I am on mirtz, 30 mg plus 20 mg of citalopram for a bit over 8 weeks. Yesterday my wife and I had a big spat and I realized I had become emosionless and a bit zombie like. Very irritable. If one is not aware of these side effects it can wreck havoc on personal relationships. I dropped down to 15mg on my mirtz last night. A bit more general anxiety today but I feel a bit more clear. This drug very powerful.

• Posted

please get off this drug for your own sake. I went on it and became irrational and angry at my fiance. Was saying the most insane and nasty things to her. It looks like it may even cause us to break up. So if it causes even the slightest anger in you steer clear of it. There are other avenues to take with depression that dont involve turning oneself into a twisted angry person.

• Posted

my partner has started taking this ten weeks ago abd is ending our relationship. its alwats been a rollercoaster relationship but has meds caused it to end

• Posted

Hi All

I don't know if anyone is still active in this discussion. But it's Christmas day and I find myself googling 'mirt , side effects, spouse'.

my husband takes our for insomnia as he had tried everything else. He had a break for about 3 years and it was the best years of a 17 year marriage. Now he is back to being shut down, rude, never asks me a question, never touches me or shows any interest in any way.... Enough to make me depressed 😃

I have no idea if he is aware or not. it's breaking my children's hearts as they think he is just being rude and mean....

eurgh, I'm sorry this isn't a post with all the solutions ...

hope you are all safe,

Annemette

• Posted

Mirtazapine has changed my marriage too.. First when I was on it.. had no sex drive and were not paying attention to my wife and child. I was not working at all. Was prescribed for kinda depression and anxiety. I was debilitating on it. So decided to wean off it. Now when I am 8 weeks withdrawal of it it affected even more everyone around me and my self. Dizziness and anxiety kicked back and I became very very depressed, de-personalized and appatic to everyone.. Just make sure she tapers when she goes off it, otherwise it will be hell for her and for your family.. Believe me I would not wish to anyone things that I went through. Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.