Help.ive gained weught.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Ive had problem with my knee since february when i fell.went hospital who sent me to see consultant nxt day who told me i needed a total knee replacement but needed swelling to go down and to come back in 6 wk.while waiting i could walk hardly as my knee was that bad and was in agony and gainged 2 stone now i was a little overweight br this.went bak after u wk and was told by constltants young understdey that it was just my ostioarthritus (after looking at my ankles n not my knee)and would be ok after a wk but to cum back in another 6 wk.all this time im not able to get about so gaining more weight.went back after this time and sedn my original consultant who looked puzzled at y i hadnt had my knee done but made me an appointment for 1st of july to finaly have the op.im getting about alot better but still struggling and cant seem to loose the weight ive gained.ive tried to eat as healthy as my £200 a mth sick pay will let me but realy struggling.any one help plz.x

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Janice/ so you're about 4 months post op ? Knee feeling good ? Doing your PT? I'm almost 4 months RTHR, had both knees replaced 2 years ago. I've gained 20 pounds since hip surgery, no reason except I eat to much. I've quit pasta and chocolate! That's a start. If you come up with any amazing weight loss plan let me know. I think it's simple eat less eat better get exercise, easier said than done! Hope the knee is ok, you didn't really say.

• Posted

Knees alot better now and can walk without any aid.my downfall is ive got depression with it all n when i get to down i eat chocolate n sweets lol.someone said to try green tea as that suppose to help so im starting on them tomorow c how that goes.its hard as im only 52 and used to working and being on the go all the time but from feb when i first injured it ,till i got it done in july i couldnt hardly walk anywere..half of time i go to bed at 6 and sit n cry.x
    • Posted

Weve no amenities around were i live in cumbria as its a real poverty area so cant go swimming as only 1 there is is in a school n not open to the public and the gym to dear and i to embaraced to go.x
    • Posted

You need more exercise and physical therapy, as much as your knee will allow. That will help mental state too. I walk every day, used a crutch til 8 weeks and after that for the dog walks if the leg hurt. Use a single crutch to take some load of the knee but you still get exercise. Good luck, try to stay busy, by the way I'm 64 and feeling good, just a little chubby. You'll get there.

• Posted

Ive only the physio therapyst twice in hospital and once at home n they said didnt need it ny more .that was a wk after op.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.