Help just diagnosed with osteoporosis in spine

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi I just had a scan. I have broken my leg so asked for a scan.

I am 56. I like in UK.

I asked the clinician if she could tell if I had osteoporosis

and was told that the scan needed to be examined by the osteoporosis nurse but yesI had osteoporosis in my spine.

She said the clinic would be in contact to discuss treatment.

I asked her how serious it was and she said 'well it's not great but I've seen worse'.

I feel like my world has come to an end. I have always been so careful with my diet and do a lot of walking.

I read about some possible treatments and they all seem to provide nightmare side-effects.

I have a small hiatus hernia and take lansparazole from time to time.

Could anybody give me some common sense advice please

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You need to know your tscores for a start as a lot of people are worried unnecessarily.

Less than -3 is not too bad.  

They can tell straight away and I always get a print out on the spot.

Xrays do not show osteoporosis so it must be a DEXA scan.

I would not worry until you have results.

• Posted

I was not given my result on the spot, despite a letter in my hand from my doctor asking that this be done.  A copy of the report had to be mailed to my doctor and I had to make an appointment to go and see her and get the report.  And they wonder why our health care system is so bakced up and the doctors are so overworked. rolleyes
    • Posted

Thank you for replying. The clinician said I could attend the osteoporosis clinic at the hospital.

My GP is one of many in a health centre.

To cut a long story short osteoporosis was mentioned when I went into HRT at 50.

I had last period at 47.

Dexa scan was not mentioned and I had no knowledge of it or I would have requested a scan then.

2 years ago I had to push to get a blood test as I was concerned about my vitamin D and calcium levels.

This concern was simply prompted by discussing supplements with friends.

The doctor who booked the test then flagged the results but left the practice. The 2 subsequent doctors that I saw when visiting the practice for other complaints in the following 2 years could see no problem with the results.

The Doctor who had left the practice then started a private practice.

I decided to pay £100 to get the results as the subsequent doctor said the vitamin d was an acceptable level.

When I paid to see her she said it was not and that taking osteo care was not the correct supplement to take.

She gave me other sources of vitamin d and calcium which then cost me more than £100 to get from the website.

This was less than a month ago.

I never felt I was the gullible sort but I do feel a bit conned.

On a positive note as she now a locum for the practice that she had left so she was able to organise me a DEXA scan under the NHS as I cannot really afford these costs.

I feel badly let down by my practice and was going to complain to the practice manager but have since decided not to bother as I really don't need the extra stress at this time. Just hope my tscore is very low.

• Posted

You're right, the best thing is to pick your battles and avoid unnecessary stress.  Come back and tell us what your numbers are when you know them. confused

• Posted

Can I ask what your vitamin D level is/was? I was diagnosed with osteoporosis at 32. I have polycystic ovarian syndrome and I also have had severe bilateral hip and left leg problems so have been bed bound for prolonged periods over the last few years. When I found out, I was absolutely shocked! My T scores are pretty bad in both my hips and spine. I'm under a endocronologist to manage it. My vitamin D level was 23 at the time of diagnosis. I need a bone biopsy to look at future management as most treatment is for post menopausal women and causes congenital defects in pregnancy. So it's very complicated. I'm on calcitriol which is prescription and is active vitamin D. It's different to normal vitamin D supplements. I've had one fracture so far. Was a bad rib fracture missed on the X-ray but found on the bone scan. I was moving on the cough and it snapped. So I'm pretty scared of doing anything like a fall or twist the wrong way.

• Posted

Sorry I should say, I was 32 when they found my osteoporosis. I was 34 when I broke my rib. I had another small ankle fracture when I was 33. It needed surgery but took ages to diagnose it initially. So I've had two fractures. Not one. I've currently got severe wrist/hand pain which was inconclusive for a hand fracture. Waiting for an MRI. My hand is agony at present. My point is, depending on your T scores, basically you just have to more aware of trip hazards, twisting etc and get a good dr to manage it.

• Posted

I am a bit confused. Are you being charged for your results?

I have never heard of such a thing.

Is this even legal there?

• Posted

I don't know what the numbers were.the vitamin D level was flagged by Dr R but she then left the practice.

When I saw Dr S the following week he could see no reason why the results had been flagged. He said whilst my vitamin D was low it was still considered in the non risk spectrum.

A year later I was at the surgery for another issue and I asked again and Dr C said that maybe my cholesterol was a little high but in context no reason for concern.

The original Dr R then started a private practice so knowing this was her subject and having broken my leg I paid £100 to see her.

She told me the osteocare that I was taken would not provide me with vitamin D.

She said vitamin D has to be in an oil.

She recommended some calcium, vitamin D, green stuff and oils from a web site which then cost me another £100.

I have to say the green stuff is great but a well known vitamin Shop said the calcium is not enough.

I have tried to contact Dr R both privately and via my dr surgery (where she is a acting as a locum) about this but she won't return my calls. When I emailed her private practice her colleague (also a gp at my surgery but part time private) told me I had to make and pay for another appointment which I am not happy to do.

• Posted

Thank you for replying. I am wishing you energy and resilience. I have replied to your question in Kathleen's 65757 reply below.

• Posted

Like you I have always eaten well and exercised but still developed OP. I have always been given my results immediately after my scans and calcium and VitD checked too. My clinic does talks and gives advice at an open clinic where anyone can go if they have been diagnosed or to support someone who has OP. I have had no side effects from the drugs and they have improved my results to the point of  not needing to take them after another few months.
    • Posted

Thank you Alison. This is so positive to hear.

May I ask what medication your on?

I am still waiting to hear from the clinic but it's not been a week yet so I am hoping that I may not be a priority due to a low tscore (info I have learnt about on this forum)

What is your tscore?

• Posted

Hi leah I take a weekly Risedronate. Started aa 2 years ago but it made me sleepy. I have been fine on this medication. They basically do the same thing but this one is better for me for some reason. My t-score 2 and a half years ago was -3.5. I now have hips -2.4 and spine -2.9. I hope to have my spine reading -2.4 at my next scan so I can stop the meds and hopefully stay stable. Each scan, I have been given my results after a 5 minute wait. Hopefully,, your results will be ok, but if not, remember, not everyone has problems with the meds. Fingers crossed for you
    • Posted

Thank you Alison. So Risedronate made you sleepy? I didn't know that you got different tscore in different parts of your body. So I have learnt something

• Posted

It was Alendronic acid that made me sleepy. I have been fine on Risedronate

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.