Help just diagnosed with osteoporosis in spine

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi I just had a scan. I have broken my leg so asked for a scan.

I am 56. I like in UK.

I asked the clinician if she could tell if I had osteoporosis

and was told that the scan needed to be examined by the osteoporosis nurse but yesI had osteoporosis in my spine.

She said the clinic would be in contact to discuss treatment.

I asked her how serious it was and she said 'well it's not great but I've seen worse'.

I feel like my world has come to an end. I have always been so careful with my diet and do a lot of walking.

I read about some possible treatments and they all seem to provide nightmare side-effects.

I have a small hiatus hernia and take lansparazole from time to time.

Could anybody give me some common sense advice please

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Leah

Sorry to hear about your problems. I hope that your results are not too bad. I am in the UK too and had to go to the doctor's surgery to get the results of my Dexa scan after breaking my leg 18 months ago. It is disgraceful that you have had to pay for anything. My doctor tried to put me on alondronic acid but I refused to take it, having read a lot about side effects and seen the effects it had on some of my friends. Like you, I couldn't understand why I had any bone problems at all because of playing lots of sport and having an excellent diet, but sometimes things don't work like that, I suppose. The only thing I can point a finger at is taking Depo Provera in my 20s. My levels for calcium and vitamin D are fine (I spend lots of time outdoors). I have decided to try to work naturally with lots of weight-bearing exercises and will arrange for another Dexa scan in about a year's time to see whether my scores have improved. Kathleen is right to say that a lot of people are worried unnecessarily.  Try not to worry. I'm sure you will be fine. I've also worked a lot on my balance so there is less chance of having a fall of any kind.  Good luck!

• Posted

Thank you Soozib. I am so grateful for all these replies and you words of comfort. It has helped. I still have not received my results yet. I am planning to start Pilates for balance once my broken leg will allow me. I am less than a week into weight bearing. I am making excellent progress so that's good.

• Posted

Hello again Leah

Well done for making such good progress. Balance is so important it took me ages to gain confidence. I got a very good personal trainer who was skilled in rehabilitation. He was so patient when some of my efforts to balance were pathetic! Remember that it takes time and you have to be patient too. It's 18 months since I broke my leg and I walk for miles now and have a new trainer for weightlifting. I feel great and I'm sure that you will too in no time at all.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.