HELP!!!LUMBAR PUNCTURE-INTENSE BACK PAIN!!!

Posted , 18 users are following.

I had a lumbar puncture done last night at the ER to rule out Meningitis. The ER Doc tried 2x and couldn't get it. Then they called for Anesth to come and do it he had to do it 2x and FINALLY got the sample. BUT, the back pain I am having today is UNRELENTING!!! I cannot sit or stand without excruciating pain and pressure, it feels like something is pushing out my back!! I don't know what I should do. Is this normal? Has ANYONE ever had this happen to them??

4 likes, 110 replies

110 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Cekticgyrl,

I'm sure it has to do with all that poking, the muscles and nerves are all aggravated, just keep an eye on it and hopefully it goes away. But anything with your back and neck keep an eye on it.

Take care

Cindy( Cynthia)

• Posted

WELL!! As I sit here at 5:20am and contemplate my next move I am beside myself full of frustration and anger.

As of Monday night my headache started progressively getting worse AGAIN, as of last night I started getting a fever that went up to 39.2.

I am losing the ability to look down without the pressure and pain in my low back(left side) increasing. I have noticed that since this increase in pressure in the low back, it has increased the stabbing/shooting/funny-bone type pain I have been feeling in my left groin since the blood patch.

• Posted

OOPS, I didn't mean to hit send.......

I KNOW that I probably already should be heading to the ER, but I am instead going first thing in the morning to see my GP for him to give me some HONEST insight before he sends me to the ER. (Which I am pretty sure is inevitable yet again)

I guess I am just wishing to expel what is happening at this moment in my life and hoping for some prayers so that I can get over this ordeal because I am all done with feeling so crappy and cannot afford to be taking all this time off work when I have 4 kids and bills to take care of.

THANK YOU to you ALL for standing by my side and giving me AMAZING advice!!

Hope you ALL have an AMAZING FLAWLESS DAY!!!! CHEERS🍀CG

• Posted

Hey, I am so sorry to here you are having so much trouble ( again ), I can't quiet remember what you had done at first, sorry I answer so many people on here.

Did you originally have a LP which went wrong??

George :-)

• Posted

Hey, went to the ER w/ severe headache and fever. It took 4 x to get the LP done. Was discharged home about 12 hours after. 2 days later intense headache again, worse when I say or stood up etc. They decided it was a PDPH so they did a blood patch on Wed. During the blood patch he must've hit the nerve during the one of 5x he tried to get it situated to put the blood in because I got THE WORST shooting/electrical pain into my left groin/butt/thigh, I literally screamed so loud people came running. When he FINALLY was able to get situated he then injected the 20ccs of blood which ALSO caused A LOT of pain and pressure in my legs and back. Since then I have had the pain into my groin that has not gone away, a slight headache(but was manageable). Then I started getting this 'pulling' stiff type feeling when I would look down completely (chin to chest) in my low back, which in the last 10 hrs has gotten progressively worse with the head getting worse and now a temp between 38.4-39(orally).
    • Posted

Sorry for delay.

To me it sounds like they have damaged the nerve, I had similar 10 yrs ago but they caused damage to the nerve controlling legs and I lost all sensation, it took about 6 weeks in hospital for the pain and swelling to go so I could feel my legs. Re the headaches I would suggest you drink plenty of water and normal pain killers, if you go to GP they will probably send you back in and they will give you some blood tests might keep you in for I.v antibiotics and send you home. It's a really tricky one to actually get a right diagnosis. I'm sorry I can be much help but I think you will need time to get over the torture of lumber puncture. Please keep me updated and I so hope you get better soon

G 😀 X

• Posted

Hi there,

No..THANK YOU for the reply!! And allowing me to whine and complain!!

I am just sitting here waiting for the clock to hit 830 so I can make my way to the dr. I am overall just not feeling well. The fever won't go below 38.4 and I am taking 2 Percocet every 4 hours as well as 2 MotrinMax which is a 12 hr. I am even having a hard time writing these messages cuz I can't look down to my phone so I am holding it in the air so my neck stays straight....

Anyways, I will keep you posted as to what they say, pretty sure if I do end up back at the ER they will prolly think I'm bat-sh*t crazy!!! Which is WHY I am going to see my dr first so he can assess me and I trust his diagnosis highly!! So I know if he sends me then I NEED to be there!!

Thanks again for keeping in touch, it means a lot to be able to talk to people who may have some sort of an idea as to what I am going through!!

Take care, talk soon!!

Cheers🍀GC

• Posted

Hi, I said a prayer for you.  I don't even know why you are messing with a GP. You need a neurologist ASAP!  Good luck. I am so so sorry you are going through such excruciating pain.  It will get better but it might take a while.
    • Posted

Hey

Just wanted to check in on you and see how things are going, hopefully you have had a better day or at least a diagnosis??

G x

• Posted

They have admitted me, given me morphine and they are doing an MRI tomorrow...
    • Posted

So glad you are getting some relief! The MRI will tell them what's going on.
    • Posted

I have discitis(sp) they have me on antibiotics and they are also doing an MRI of my brain today to make sure I'm not still leaking CSF fluid.....THANKS A TON for checking in!!

Cheers🍀CG

• Posted

Keeping everything crossed that you get all clear. Please keep us updated xx
    • Posted

Yikes, that is serious! I just googled that - it's very serious. But it says it can spontaneous resolve - especially in children under the age of 8.  Too bad you are not 7 years oldsurprised.  Hope yours clears up quickly.  So glad they found out what it is and you are being taken care of!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.