HELP!!!LUMBAR PUNCTURE-INTENSE BACK PAIN!!!

Posted , 18 users are following.

I had a lumbar puncture done last night at the ER to rule out Meningitis. The ER Doc tried 2x and couldn't get it. Then they called for Anesth to come and do it he had to do it 2x and FINALLY got the sample. BUT, the back pain I am having today is UNRELENTING!!! I cannot sit or stand without excruciating pain and pressure, it feels like something is pushing out my back!! I don't know what I should do. Is this normal? Has ANYONE ever had this happen to them??

4 likes, 110 replies

110 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Cindy:

I am glad your here. I am glad that I can help and give you support. By the way, should I call you Cindy or CelticGyrl? Sometime it is nice to have a nickname. I am going to call myself tiger. Reason being. When I was teaching schoo., my supervisor always called me that. I liked because we got along just great. However, since then when I no longer was teaching, I never thought of the name. When I appeared here 2 months ago, I contacted a few people and before I knew it, I was really active and got to talk to a number of people. I have a good standing here and the Linda came along and made freinds with her. In one of the letters that I wrote, I told her the samething about me being called tiger. When she wrote back, ehe said to use and from then on, I did. Noe I like it so much it makes me feel good. So, you can call me that too. Awwww. I also thought if I changed it to mel the tiger or tiger mel. Maybe I will just leave it like it is. One of the nice things I like here, are the many people I am talking to all seem friendly, want to share and we dont have be alone in our pain. We can lift one another up. So, thats it for now. Since this is another dat home from the hospital, how are you feeling today? I hope you dontever suffer what you went through ever again. I will close for now and take care.

Tiger 😁

• Posted

OK!!! NOW WHAT??? AS IF, you haven't had to listen to me enough as it is!!!

Guess who woke up with a temp today!!!!

• Posted

Hi, Hope your temp is not too high.  Definitely watch it. You know your body, and you should trust your instincts.  I would call the doctor's office and let them know instead of waiting 4 days or until it gets to 102. Let them know now so if they want to see you they can get it on the schedule.  Take care. Keep us updated.  It might just be me and Tiger (Mel) but we do care! 

Linda

• Posted

Hey Linda (sis), Tiger here. Haven't heard from you in quite a while. I don't know if you are getting my messages as I have written to you. The last time you sent me a picture but that's it. I replied to CelticGirl and explained the the reason why I haven't been active. I get a laptop tomorrow although used but in pretty good condition, I cqn write the way I want to. Meanwhile I would like to hear from you either by pm here or email. I would like to know how you are doing. OK? Hope to hear from you soon. Take care sis and talk to you later.

tiger signing out.

• Posted

Hey CelticGyrl :

Do you know how many times I tried to answer you but right in the middle, everything disappeared. Thats my tablet for you. It sucks at times. Not only that, but there are certain times there is no word wrap until I send it, then it shows what I have written. You hope that you did not repeat yourself. What I have heard that you can run a temp, even have a headache and of course soreness. Since the doc had to do it 3 times, it's possible that some of the nerves could have been in the way and that may be the reason why you are having more pain than usual. Call your doctor and tell him that. Most likely they would say it will go away in a few days and don't worry. If the pain gets worse, you have to tell them that too. Maybe pain med can be prescribed most likely something that is not too strong. You may be already taing stronger meds. I hope this helps a little of what I said. I am not a doctor so all i

I can do is to give you suggestions. Take care and get well. Please let me know what is found with the test.

mel

• Posted

How are you doing now?? I have lower back pain with intense shooting pain in my legs and groin after a spinal tap 2,5 week ago, i am so worried! Had an MR that did not show anything!
  • Posted

Hi CelticGirl:

Sorry I didn't answer you sooner. Since I am typing on a tablet, it errs and does funny stuff and that discourages me to the utmost. It takes forever to write anything on it. This is one of the reasons why I have not been active lately. Tomorrow which I can't wait for as I will be getting a laptop so I can get on with my life. Other than that I am truly sorry that something went wrong with the epidural and to experience so much pain doesn't seem right. I had epidurals but never what you have experienced. Since your message was posted 7 months ago, I am sure that you have taken care of the problem. I am curious why this happened and hopefully you never have this happen again. Meanwhile, i am here for you and hope you are better now. My prayers are with you. Take care and I I will talk to you later.

mel77

• Posted

Hi Guys...... I know this post is like 7/8months old.. I had a LP yesterday and oh god the pain... Can anyone tell if they had left shoulder pain and left leg kind off tingly numbness I'm starting to worrie, I got fluid taking to relive pressure off my brain.. Please would this be a normal side affect I know about the headaches but iv not got that yet it's been about 36hrs since , I take it the back pain is normal.. TIA

• Posted

Hi I am from NY and I have exactly what happened to you and it's over a year now and I don't know what to do. I taking physical therapy and injections for the pain along with pain medication. I really don't know what to do. My back pain it's getting worse. I had different pain management doctors and different test and nobody can figure out what it's going on with me please help!!!!

• Posted

I am not a doctor but that sounds like you have spinal fluid leak.  I would not go back to that place but would find a neuro surgeon and get an urgent appointment!  The pain should not be that bad.  Never let an intern or resident touch your spine!
  • Posted

Hi

I had a lumbar puncture on 19th to see if I had had a bleed in my head. (I hadn’t thankfully)

I suffered after with severe head and neck pain when sitting or standing. Only relief would be to lay flat or bending forward.

They told me this pain is due to the cerebral fluid leaking from the puncture site.

The brain weighs about 4lb and floats in the fluid. When there is less fluid it puts pressure on the nerves and everything around your brain.

It will heal eventually but can take weeks.

They offered me a procedure called a blood patch to try to help ease it.

This is where they take blood from your arm and inject into your spine, the blood then flows around and acts as a plaster over the hole. Doesn’t always work and they can do it more than once.

It worked with me, the pain relief was almost instant. I had to lay flat for two hours after. I still have a headache and pain in my back but no where near as excruciating. And this will get better as the cerebral fluid builds up.

They advised me to drink caffeine as this helps in the production of cerebral spinal fluid.

Hope this helps ????

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.