Help me Diagnose Pancreatits & Share your Experience Please

Posted , 5 users are following.

So I have been having constant Severe Upper stomach pain after using Hpylori antibiotics course. It has been almost 5 months with no relief. Endoscopy, blood tests and ultrasound all normal.

I am explaining my pain here for possible diagnosis. My stomach gets stiff with even slight activity as brushing teeth or walking. It continues to get stiff but the real pain starts when it seems like the inner stomach wall stiffens or get tires and it feels exactly like someone punched me in my stomach, inside of stomach feels swollen. I find it difficult to walk or talk when pain is extreme. It seems like stomach is so much irritated that it does not relax at all. Even if for sometime it feels like stomach is relaxing when I stand it starts stiffening again. Pain is in upper stomach in the middle and left and it radiates to back as well. Walking gives cramp like pain in the upper stomach as well and back. Bowels are normal but I have lost my appetite and lost 10 kgs in just 4 months.

Pancreatitis from ultrasound and blood test is not diagnosed. I dont particularly feel pain after eating, I have not vommited but extreme pain does make me feel nauseated now most of the time. If it was pancreatitis wouldnt I feel extreme pain after eating?

It cant be nerve damage because bowel movements are normal but it does seem like stomach muscles have lost its ability to relax. What have these course of Amoxicillin and Clairythromycin done to me can anybody please diagnose or relate to this issue. My mistake was to continue taking the antibiotics for 7 days even though on very first few days I was in extreme pain.

I was healthy before with no issues and no hpylori symptoms as well but now even if I clench my stomach (when it feels like its a bit relaxed) within an hour inside of my stomach feels like someone punched me its disabling pain I cant do anything, I havent stepped outside of the house or done anything because slight activity stiffens and pains my stomach. Why its not settling it has been almost 5 months why no relief and what could it possibly be, its so extreme that it has almost disabled an active person like me, movements of hands and deep breathing also hurts?

Doctor is inclined towards pancreatitis and requesting CTEC (which I am reluctant to do) even though ultrasound and blood were normal, plus I dont particularly feel pain after eating (I eat very little though because of pain). I have never smoked or consumed alcohol. My stomach feels swollen and while walking I can feel the pain and cramps in upper stomach and the feeling of pain when you jump from high place and feel a pain in pit of your stomach.

Another thing is sometimes whole stomach stiffens and you can feel the whole stomach while walking or while lying on the side you can feel its tensed stiff and like a solid brick (but this feeling comes and goes). Pain is disabling you can realize by how an active and strong guy is finding it difficult to even brush teeth, vigorous movements stiffens stomach and I feel severe upper stomach pain like someone punched you in your upper stomach and you find it difficult to breath.

Sorry for Long post, kindly help me diagnose what it is and can people with pancreatitis shed some light and tell me whether my symptoms seem like pancreatitis?

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Dear HumanBeing,

Reading your story and I wish I had answers. You asked for pancreas patients input so I'll tell you. I also worked out every day. I was very happy,  outgoing, and active. I know it's so awful to have that life as you know it stop with no clear answers. 

I've had pancreatitis issues starting out of the blue in 2004. I've had months of hospitalizations. Countless acute attacks, every test you can or can't imagine. I understand why your doc might think pancreatitis. Because the pain is freakishly evil bad. I know. I've been that crazy looking girl in the ER begging to be put in a coma. I understand how pain can be. 

However, this pancreas pain at least for me. Is sooooo familiar. It's always that same dreaded agony. It's not like you are describing. It doesn't change when I do an activity like washing up. That muscle stiffness you describe is nothing like I have ever felt. And I've had this pain from the gall bladder, from a stone, narrow ducts. But each time it's always been a familiar pain. It's always on the left with either a pounding pain. Or like matches are lit inside. But it's always the pancreas. I can tell. 

I only repeat myself to tell you from my experience the pain doesn't sound the same as yours. 

Meals hurt, I get it. For me. It's not just that.

No appetite, weight and energy. No rhyme or reason. I can be sleeping or driving. 

I've had several surgeries and procedures. I know the difference of stone pain, from surgical pain. Just none of them sound like what you are describing. And I know there is nothing worse than no answer, no help, no cure. 

Your agony is all over the place. I really hope you get a proper diagnosis. Feel free to ask anything you like. 

Be well,

Sonya 

• Posted

Thank you sonya for sharing your story. Yes I can understand your pain, I pray that you completely recover.

This is the reason why I think its not pancreatitis but rather a severely irtitated stomach because although I eat very little because of pain but eating does not particularly cause me pain there is no pattern sometimes I feel tiny bit better with eating. But it is really confusing some research I did does say that pain is aggravated with movement and stomach gets stiff and tensed. I just pray that I and everyone else suffering from this agonizing pain recover.

• Edited

First, I’m kind of lost when you use the term “stiff.” I don’t know exactly what type of pain you are truly having. In either case it doesn’t sound like it’s related to the pancreas. If your Dr’s thought that you had Pancreatitis they would know it by now and so would you. One with Pancreatitis usually doesn’t have pain just hang around in their stomach on an ongoing basis. Your pain would most likely be constant and you would be sick. Really sick. Pancreatic pain is usually pain like no other. It’s gnawing, dull, relentless, unbearable and excruciating. Most with it are often admitted into the ICU for IV pain management and nothing to eat or drink for a period of time. But, there's still a chance that you could have some type of pancreatic involvement. I just don't think so however. You've had the basic tests that would have your Dr. on guard if you had Pancreatitis. I know you feel horrible and I hope all works out for you. Something is going on with you. As both a patient with chronic pancreatitis and an RN I just don’t feel that your stomach pain is pancreas related. I hope that I’m right. Keep us updated. 

DJ-RN

• Posted

Agree! I just don’t believe she is having any pancreas involvement. 

DJ

• Posted

I am a guy. Pain is excrutiating similar to someone punching you in your upper stomach or like a severe cramp in your upper stomach. It takes your breath away. Stomach muscles get hard from inside with slight movement or activity and to the point that it gets so painful that even breathing and talking pains you like you just cant talk after a long run.
    • Edited

Sorry, I assumed you were female. My bad. I understand your type of pain much better. But, I still don’t think that it’s related to your pancreas. I could be wrong however. When one experiences a pancreatic attack, their pain doesn’t persists for months. The episode will finally stop as your pancreas becomes less inflamed. I believe that you have something going on. I just don’t think you are on the right track. If you were to have said that you had pain that lasted a couple of weeks then subsided I’d be more inclined to think differently. But, it just doesn’t raise the red flags that would normally be raised. I wish you luck. 

DJ

• Posted

To be honest I spent these 5 months in a lot of pain. When on the second day of antibiotics use I got this pain, it was unbearable but the tough guy mentality I had I just consulted doc he said these antibiotics cause stomach pain, complete the 7 days course, side effects will go away. I was in a lot of pain but I continued completing the course I was dying everyday literally felt like dying but I continued taking the meds. What I mean is although everyone has different pain tolerance levels but I should be in ER on the very first day but I didnt and toughed it out hoping pain will go away but it didnt. And when it didnt seem to even get better only then I started to panic.
  • Posted

Sounds awful HumanBeing.  I have no idea really but many minds can find direction sometimes so understand why you're here.  It doesn't seem like pancreatitis to me however who am I to talk I'm atypical and have it.  

My brain roams freely and it came up with the idea that perhaps, being a previously fit, active man, that perhaps you've damaged a nerve, that you maybe have a sensory or motor nerve issue.  Many ways to jump from that thought, some simple some a bit more serious and it kind of neglects the antibiotic connection, if there is one. 

So I'm wondering if your Dr has considered referring you to a neurologist?  Just a thought.  Let us know how it pans out.  Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks everyone for your replies. One more thing I forgot to add is that when pain is focused on the left upper stomach I can feel the tightness and pain connected to back exactly behind it. I can notice is while breathing.

Whatever it is it happened only after using antibiotics, my mistake as I have said earlier was to keep taking the antibiotics even though I was in so much pain. Nerve damage is the possibility but the symptoms and circumstances dont fit that, though it does seem like stomach muscles have lost its ability to relax. It tries to relax but its not exactly relaxed only just gives me the feeling of relaxing and at that time I get the best sleep.

• Posted

If you haven’t already, I would see a very good GI Dr. and have them run a batttery of tests on you until they find out what is causing your problems. I do think that something is going on for sure. I just don’t tjink that it’s telated to your pancreas. Perhaps they will do an upper and lower barium test on you and a manometry. Hence, and other tests to rule

out other anomalies. Good luck to you! 

DJRN

• Posted

Two things that make me feel worse is the pain like you got punched in your upper stomach and inability to perform simple tasks. Can and endoscopy miss a severly irritated or swollen stomach? From what I know docs look for redness in your stomach, which was not present in my case so they considered it normal.
  • Edited

Hi

I really don’t think you have the symptoms of pancreatitis either...I have acute pancreatitis, and it’s like others have described, it is really excruciating pain if you were to have an attack...but you mentioned you were taking antibiotics for the H-Pylori infection, and I also had that infection and had to do those nasty antibiotics for 2 weeks.  That was two years ago, and I still have problems with my stomach cramping up like you describe, and always have pain from the gas, and gas can cause a lot of pain and cramping moving around in your stomach.  My stomach has not really been normal since I had that infection.  I was prescribed Pantoprazole, and I have to take 1 tablet twice a day 30 minutes prior to food...it’s supposed to lower stomach acid..it helps probably more than if I didn’t take it at all, and I have to take these meds for the rest of my life!..Definately not crazy about that!...if you haven’t taken these after you had H-Pylori..I would check into this med..they might help you!

• Posted

My pain is severe but I understand its not as extreme as a person who has acute pancreatitis. It has been 5 months of continuous pain. Its not some simple cramp or gas, it happens only in upper stomach and back and I get reffered pain down when pain is extreme like cramps but its all focused in the upper stomach. The intensity and severity of my condition is such that I cant do anything evrything stiffens my upper stomach my upper stomach is not relaxing (even though when it feels a bit calm). Slight activity as walking stiffens my stomach it becomes hard and painful from inside and then I get severe upper stomach pain like someone punched you, find it difficult to stand up straight and difficult to breath. I have used stomach acid reducers PPI they dont work, I have extreme pain not burning.
    • Edited

If you have been having severe abdominal pain for 5 months, I can almost assure you that your pancreas is not the cause of that pain. Pancreatic pain doesn’t last that long. They are scattered bouts of severe and excruciating pain in most cases that subside within a week or a few weeks. You would not be hurting daily for 5 months. I would consider exploring other causes for your pain. 

DJRN

• Posted

Gina, that was a good call. H-pylori can cause severe abdominal pain that could last as long as humanbeing has had his. Like I told him, I have chronic calcific Pancreatitis and if you have it, it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to diagnose it. I feel that he should explore different illnesses that might be the cause of his pain. He seems very fixated on the thought that this is his pancreas. Anxiety and other psychological problems can also cause severe abdominal disorders that mimic intestinal/GI diseases. I hope you are well. :-)

DJRN

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.