Help me Diagnose Pancreatits & Share your Experience Please

Posted , 5 users are following.

So I have been having constant Severe Upper stomach pain after using Hpylori antibiotics course. It has been almost 5 months with no relief. Endoscopy, blood tests and ultrasound all normal.

I am explaining my pain here for possible diagnosis. My stomach gets stiff with even slight activity as brushing teeth or walking. It continues to get stiff but the real pain starts when it seems like the inner stomach wall stiffens or get tires and it feels exactly like someone punched me in my stomach, inside of stomach feels swollen. I find it difficult to walk or talk when pain is extreme. It seems like stomach is so much irritated that it does not relax at all. Even if for sometime it feels like stomach is relaxing when I stand it starts stiffening again. Pain is in upper stomach in the middle and left and it radiates to back as well. Walking gives cramp like pain in the upper stomach as well and back. Bowels are normal but I have lost my appetite and lost 10 kgs in just 4 months.

Pancreatitis from ultrasound and blood test is not diagnosed. I dont particularly feel pain after eating, I have not vommited but extreme pain does make me feel nauseated now most of the time. If it was pancreatitis wouldnt I feel extreme pain after eating?

It cant be nerve damage because bowel movements are normal but it does seem like stomach muscles have lost its ability to relax. What have these course of Amoxicillin and Clairythromycin done to me can anybody please diagnose or relate to this issue. My mistake was to continue taking the antibiotics for 7 days even though on very first few days I was in extreme pain.

I was healthy before with no issues and no hpylori symptoms as well but now even if I clench my stomach (when it feels like its a bit relaxed) within an hour inside of my stomach feels like someone punched me its disabling pain I cant do anything, I havent stepped outside of the house or done anything because slight activity stiffens and pains my stomach. Why its not settling it has been almost 5 months why no relief and what could it possibly be, its so extreme that it has almost disabled an active person like me, movements of hands and deep breathing also hurts?

Doctor is inclined towards pancreatitis and requesting CTEC (which I am reluctant to do) even though ultrasound and blood were normal, plus I dont particularly feel pain after eating (I eat very little though because of pain). I have never smoked or consumed alcohol. My stomach feels swollen and while walking I can feel the pain and cramps in upper stomach and the feeling of pain when you jump from high place and feel a pain in pit of your stomach.

Another thing is sometimes whole stomach stiffens and you can feel the whole stomach while walking or while lying on the side you can feel its tensed stiff and like a solid brick (but this feeling comes and goes). Pain is disabling you can realize by how an active and strong guy is finding it difficult to even brush teeth, vigorous movements stiffens stomach and I feel severe upper stomach pain like someone punched you in your upper stomach and you find it difficult to breath.

Sorry for Long post, kindly help me diagnose what it is and can people with pancreatitis shed some light and tell me whether my symptoms seem like pancreatitis?

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I want to further add the reason I am worried is there are people with pain similar to mine and eating didnt cause them pain yet they were diagnosed of pancreatitis. Is it possible to have no pain after eating and still have pancreatitis?
    • Posted

Yes, it is. One’s pain can occur either after eating or when you have an empty stomach. Food often brings on an attack or makes the one that you’re having worse, but the two doesn’t always coincide with the other. I really think that you need to see a good GI Dr. and have them rule things out until they find out what’s goung on with you. Again though, I do not believe that your pancreas is playing a role in this. You might want to move onto something else that could be causing your problems as you seem fixated on the thought that this is your pancreas. It’s quiet possible that your pain is brought on by stress and other psychological anomalies. You may want to consider that. 

DJRN

• Posted

I never had pain after eating.  Immediately prior to diagnosis I was feeling generally nauseous, had low grade stomach ache which seemed to occur hours after eating and when I woke in the morning.  I did have an ache which went through to my back but eating didn't seem to figure and I had sharp chest pains sometimes, and headaches.  As I said before I'm atypical in many ways medically so I wouldn't say this is the norm. I doubt many 'normal' people would have been overly concerned at that point.

The reason I requested the abdo CT was because those symptoms were atypical for me.  Because I'm weird medically my medico's tend to listen to me, they don't want to be responsible if something goes wrong.  I'm not allowed to be a private patient for that reason and have to sign a disclaimer everytime I'm admitted.  Not comforting really but I developed a darkish sense of humour about it all many years ago.

Of all my symptoms the main one which showed up immediately prior to diagnosis, actually about 4 days before the CT was the steatorrhea.  My bowels hadn't been great for awhile but normal colour at least until then.  Things went from uncomfortable to downright ghastly overnight (as things can with me).  I don't know how my other symptoms would have panned out had I been left for months or years before diagnosis as many here have experienced, perhaps the pain would have become severe and constant like they experience.  I was prescribed Creon immediately which helped enormously and I was eating low fat, smallish meals more frequently from the outset and a PPI.

I've said before that I may have had acute pancreatitis attacks for years which were thought to be my other disease which has similar symptoms initially, sort of.  Despite similarities we are each and everyone of us individuals not clones, keep pushing HumanBeing.

• Posted

I want to mention here, I recently went on IV fluids for 4 days (though I did drink water three four times during these four days but did not eat anything). It didnt help at all maybe its because its been 5 months since this started or maybe its not pancreas related at all..
  • Posted

If I were you I would consider other anomalies as to being the cause of your problems and not to be fixated on Pancreatitis. If you had Pancreatitis your Dr’s and yourself would know it by now. 

DJRN

• Posted

Few things I would like to make clear. Its not because of any stress or psychological issue. It only started when I used antibiotics for Hpylori. I was asymptomatic, which means I was not having problems with hpylori and did not have pain or anything this severe. I do not want to even think about pancreatitis or anything but after my endoscopy came clear my doc is inclined towards pancreatitis, because I have severe pain and it has almost disabled me so he thinks it might be pancreatitis because it started after taking strong antibiotics. My pain surrounds upper part of stomach and back and it severity is what doc says could be pancreatitis. I have so much pain that eating is very difficult sometimes though eating doesnt directly cause pain but pain causes nausea and stomach feels swollen so dont like putting anything inside. I have lost more than 10 kgs in 4 months because of eating so less.

The only other possible explaination is that my stomach is hurt, sore and swollen after antibiotics but it did not show on endoscopy. Maybe a swollen or irritated stomach doesnt appear red on endoscopy??. Anyways doc thinks it should not take 5 months without relief that is why he is inclined towards pancreatitis. Even though ultrasound and blood reports are normal he is asking me to do cect which I am reluctant to do because even I dont think its pancreatitis plus I dont want to put myself under radiation.

• Posted

I would beg to differ. I think all of it is psychological. 
  • Edited

Is there anyway to self diagnose symptoms invlolving pancrease? Like eating fat meal or something? And what are hallmark symptoms of pancreatic pain and involvement?
    • Posted

That would be as bad as one defending themself in a murder trial. I know that you are having problems that have you really uncertain about. It can be scary. But, you need to listen to the advice people are giving you and really think about the possibility that this might very well be psychological in nature. You cannot diagnose yourself. You sound like a reasonably intelligent person and you are going to have to let go of and chill out a bit because you sound like you are becoming more and More obsessed with this. You can’t allow it, or anything else for that matter to get the best of you. If you are sick and in pain go to the Dr. If you aren’t satisfied with what he/she has to say, go to another one. But to even ask if there’s a way to diagnose yourself with Pancreatitis is beyond what your average person might do or think. Why are you so convinced that this is related to your pancreas? Do you have a history with health issues that finally worked themselves out? I ask this because you sound totally fixated and consumed with your health. Again, Pancreatitis isn’t hard to diagnose. And if you’ve seen a Dr. by now I can assure you that they would know if you had it by now and so would you. I highly suggest that you see a counselor and work through any psychological issues that you have. Because the little that I do know about you and being an RN, I’ll tell you, some things just don’t add up and red flags are raising all over the place. Take a valium or drink a glass of wine and try not to become anymore consumed with this than you have. No one here can diagnose you. No one can for certain tell you what your problem is. If one thinks they can they would be wrong. Nor is what I’m saying is the answer. It’s just things that I’m starting to feel that you are giving off. So, to answer your question, no. No one can tell you nor can you make a definitive diagnosis of Pancreatitis. Again, if you are sick let your Dr’s take care of you. I don’t mean to come across as being uncaring or harsh. But, you aren’t listening to a word anyone has said to you. I can’t offee you anything else and I wish you the best. 

DJRN

• Posted

Don't eat something you don't usually eat, doing that won't prove a thing and if your digestion is upset by it it'll probably be because it's something you're not used to, no proof at all.

I hear you regarding your issues only appearing after taking the antibiotic, and it could have been responsible but you have to look at the actual side effects which seem to have snowballed.  The paralysis of your stomach comes from messages from your brain being scrambled perhaps, the antibiotic might have triggered that but the problem is now with your brain, not from the original reason you took the antibiotic, do you follow?  I may not be expressing this well.  Or the paralysis could be a stand alone symptom arising as a result of something else altogether.  At this point it's not been proven that your pancreas has anything to do with that symptom and I've not heard of it being part of the pancreatitis package.  I can imagine it's possible when associated with severe actue pain clusters but not as reactionary as your stomach seems to be.

If that antibiotic disagreed with you from the outset and you continued to take it (regardless why) it's possible you now have other issues altogether as a result.  I stand by my previous suggestion to see a neurologist because your stomach paralysis is something a neurologist can work from, they work with cause and effects of damage like that. 

Don't obsess about the pancreas it could be clouding the real issue.

• Edited

To DJ-RN and Reefsider thanks for your replies. It has been six months now but no pain relief. Tightening of outer stomach muscles have lessened a bit but the actual pain like you get punched in your stomach is still there. The pain is there 24/7 but its worse when its focused on the upper left side or middle, sometimes even breathing gets difficult I feel like dying. I still dont know why its not healing and what intensifies it. Its now six months.

I can feel the tension of muscles and stomach wall when I lie on side. When I stand for few minutes my upper stomach cramps. Any activity gives me upper stomach cramp.

Now about why I was and am still worried about Pancreatitis and why I was focused on it because I have consulted two doctors they both seem to be confused about it and say pancreatitis is the possibility. I have recently done MRCP (MRI without contrast) it was normal as well. Endoscopy,ultrasound,blood reports all were normal.

The reason these docs think it could be pancreatitis is because the pain is not going away and the intensity of pain like someone gets punched in upper stomach and becomes breathless, the pain happened after I took antibiotics. Another reason why I believe the second doc was quick to say it could be pancreatitis is because first wrote in his documents possible cause chronic pancreatitis. Although none of them have diagnosed it because none of the tests showed pancreatitis but the mystery of pain and because it happened after antibiotics is making docs to believe it could be it. I dont want to even think about pancreatitis or anything else but since docs were ordering tests to diagnose pancreatitis and the reason that my pain has not settled worries me. I have pain directly behind stomach in the back as well and when I breathe I can feel the pain. 

I understand it could be neurological but docs have not figured it out. Gastroentrologist has not even told me to even consider neurological cause. But I guess I have to visit neurologist myself and discuss the issue with him.

This was the reason I thought I should discuss with people who already have pancreatitis and understand what their symptoms are and whether tests like Ultrasound, MRCP even diagnose pancreatic inflammation or not. I hope people will understand I am just here for answers the more people can answer and describe their symptoms the more I can understand and differentiate symptoms.

• Posted

Hey HumanBeing,

I have not been feeling well at all so wasn't really checking my mail. I was wondering and hoping you got some answers about your painful condition. I was thinking of you and just wanted to check in with you. 

Sonya

• Posted

Hello sonya, really appreciate your concern and pray that you have a healthy and stress free life. No I still did not get any answer. Its really frustrating but cant really do anything about it.
  • Posted

It has been six months now but no pain relief. Tightening of outer stomach muscles have lessened a bit but the actual pain like you get punched in your stomach is still there. The pain is there 24/7 but its worse when its focused on the upper left side or middle, sometimes even breathing gets difficult I feel like dying. I still dont know why its not healing and what intensifies it. Its now six months.

I can feel the tension of muscles and stomach wall when I lie on side. When I stand for few minutes my upper stomach cramps. Any activity gives me upper stomach cramp.

Now about why I was and am still worried about Pancreatitis and why I was focused on it because I have consulted two doctors they both seem to be confused about it and say pancreatitis is the possibility. I have recently done MRCP (MRI without contrast) it was normal as well. Endoscopy,ultrasound,blood reports all were normal.

The reason these docs think it could be pancreatitis is because the pain is not going away and the intensity of pain like someone gets punched in upper stomach and becomes breathless, the pain happened after I took antibiotics. Another reason why I believe the second doc was quick to say it could be pancreatitis is because first wrote in his documents possible cause chronic pancreatitis. Although none of them have diagnosed it because none of the tests showed pancreatitis but the mystery of pain and because it happened after antibiotics is making docs to believe it could be it. I dont want to even think about pancreatitis or anything else but since docs were ordering tests to diagnose pancreatitis and the reason that my pain has not settled worries me. I have pain directly behind stomach in the back as well and when I breathe I can feel the pain. 

I understand it could be neurological but docs have not figured it out. Gastroentrologist has not even told me to even consider neurological cause. But I guess I have to visit neurologist myself and discuss the issue with him.

This was the reason I thought I should discuss with people who already have pancreatitis and understand what their symptoms are and whether tests like Ultrasound, MRCP even diagnose pancreatic inflammation or not. I hope people will understand I am just here for answers the more people can answer and describe their symptoms the more I can understand and differentiate symptoms.

• Posted

Forgot to add explanation of symptom. Sometimes I feel breathless and agitated, heart beat is above 110bpm at that time, and when I take deep breath whole upper stomach area just below ribcage and exactly behind in the mid  back whole area pains. It feels sort of circle or band of pain both in front and back.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.