Help me with my **possible** perioral dermatitis

Posted , 98 users are following.

Hi Everyone.

I am at my wits end with my skin and wondered if anyone could suggest anything.

About eight months ago I went on a course of antibiotics for a wound that wouldn't heal. It did the trick, but a couple of days after I finished the course I began to get huge flakes of skin coming off each side of my nose and just under it. There was no real redness at first, just extremely flaky skin, which Ive never had before.

This then turned red on one side and was quite sore. This cleared up, but switched to the OTHER side of my nose and this is what I have had ever since.

It has come and gone in various degrees of severity, but generally, it is red and mildly flaky/dry with lots of little bumps which look like acne but never come to a head. Having said that, I have been getting cystic type acne right in the fold of the nose recently.

TREATMENT: I initially googled the problem and concluded it was perorial dermatitis. I didn't want steroids as I know that makes it worse, so I went to the doctor (who didn't know what it was and had to GOOGLE perioral derm!?)who gave me DUAC cream. That helped a bit but it just came back.

I have since been to numerous doctors who have given me everything which I have eventually tried.

I was advised to use an anti fungal cream,so used canesten (without steroid in it). This gave me some kind of allergic reaction and i got eczema all around the area where I used it. To treat this separate condition -ergh) i was prescribed a steroid cream, daktacort, which made the eczema go away but then the PD came back worse and now I'm back to square one.

I'm almost positive its a classic case of PD, and since I tried everything the only option is antibiotics. However, I am EXTREMELY reluctant to take any seeing as it would seem that anti biotics gave me it in the first place! It all started as soon as I finished a course of them, having never had it in my life before.

I have no idea what to do, and would appreciate ANY advice. Apologies for the huge post!

Note: I should also add that I have tried lots of home remedies like coconut oil, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar which have helped mildly but not gotten rid of it. In the past three months I've also cut out wheat, sugar, dairy and yeast (considering it may be candida overgrowth). I even switched to fluoride free toothpaste. Nothing has gotten rid of it! (except the steroid/anti-fungal, and only temporarily!)

6 likes, 441 replies

441 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Update further to the above:

I actually did try the Avène Cicalfate on top of the Elidel today, I have a meeting and didn't want the greasy look of the Lucas pawpaw. I have to say it's pretty amazing, after about 2 hours the redness on the sides seems to be fading really fast too.

I almost feel guilty at how quickly these two products have worked on me, especially knowing how long some of you have been suffering, but I wanted to share the success in case anyone else hasn't tried this comob yet.

Fingers crossed it keeps improving. Will update either way, and will also let everyone know when I get my skin scrape results re; bacterial vs. fungal, in case it sheds some light for us all!

• Posted

Hey Tash, Shhhhhhh.....Don't say it out loud. Just kidding. So glad to hear that your having results!!!

Hey! I didn't realize that the Cicalfate cream people have mentioned here was an Avene product (can't get my accent key to work)....I have used Avene many times in the past because it was always so soothing to my dry skin.....the atomizer is great. I have my fingers crossed and good feelings about it because I read that Cicalfate has zinc in it and I'm always promoting zinc.

• Posted

Fiona Thanks! Yes Avène is amazing huh. I use their calming moisturizer and the thermal water spray. Definitely notice the difference when I'm not using it regularly, which now I think about it, I wasn't when I got PD. Would highly recommend the Cicalfate cream if you ever want to try a new zinc base, it does feel really calming on my skin, and is also nice and matte which makes it much easier to use.

• Posted

Hi everyone,

My perioral dermatitis is at the stage where it is literally just a small amount of redness around each nostril. Thankfully I have no more pumps/papules and haven't for a few months. Has anyone got any tips to get rid of the final redness?

Rachel

• Posted

Hi all,

I deleted the "scaremongering" post as was off topic for this discussion.

Regards,

Alan

Emis Moderator

• Posted

Welcome to all new people.

I am sorry to hear about your troubles Sweettooth and Jo.The loss of a loved one, as well as huge grief brings a whole range of stressful emotions, which are hard to endure and understand.

Stress being mentioned a great deal here and I just wanted to add that the year I started getting PD was a terrible year and I am a carer too.Stress has a part to play definitely.

I don' know if it is a coincidence Jo but I had trouble with my ears too (both) my rash was equally horrible on both sides of my face.I did not have to my knowledge, an infection but muffled sounds,clicking when I moved my jaw and tinnitus.

Tash so pleased Elidel is helping you!

It is so frustrating that just as PD has different causes, it also has different cures for different people but hopefully this forum will bring help to all.

My GP told me Elidel wasn't prescribed for PD also and I had to explain that the latest findings on PD, support it's use.

s74288 thankyou so much for your detailed post.Bullet point lists of do's and dont's are invaluable for people battling PD.

Rachel, I found La Roche Posay - Effaclar Duo got rid of residue red skin, but it took a little while about 2 weeks after last bumpy dryness was gone.

I also noticed that the skin that had been worse effected was different and coarser in texture then the rest of my face and this too went soft and normal too with this cream.Any quality cream would probably help though.

What was the "scaremongering" post that was deleted by admin? Did it have anything worthwhile to contribute does anyone know?

Keep posting.

• Posted

Unfortunately Alan deleted the most Vital information you need to understand firstly for you to administer long term treatment for this ailment. I was not "Scaremongering" and the information I shared on this site is so important to the Health of the Human Body, it Beggars Belief that Alan took the decision to delete it. I had Perioral Dermatitis and cured it without Pharmaceutical intervention. Maybe this site is solely about Pharmaceutical treatments and therefore bias to an alternative approach.

I am living proof of my comments and the information I shared with this post, I have studied these type of ailments over the last 15 Years after a spate of Gout and am willing to share my experience with those of you out there looking for the Truth and a longterm approach to Health issues relating to the Human Anatomy.

I will not repost the information I shared for the fear that it may offend those of a different approach to once again remove it.

Alan, maybe you could explain why you see the information I posted as "Scaremongering". Once you understand the Root Cause of an Ailment you will have a better understanding of the treatment required to correct it and regain your Healthy status. It doesn't have to involve Pharmaceutical products, and we all know that pharmaceutical products have side effects and therefore risks associated with them. What if PD was a side effect of Modern Medicine? Do you think people with the Ailment would want to evaluate it for themselves given the evidence available?

• Posted

Thankyou Harry,I can only speak for myself although I think everyone wants to hear all choices available to help cure PD.

Could you message me your thoughts please?

• Posted

Hi Harry,

I deleted it as both users above replied to the effect it was "scaremongering" (I edited the posts) and you were talking about general illness so was off topic as reported by another user. If you want to re-post it I will leave it unless other users think it is off topic to this discussion which they can report to me by clicking the "Report" link. I do not delete anything due to my own opinions but in response to what users report and we do not have any bias in regard to alternative approaches.

Thanks,

Alan

• Posted

I would like to add that I am not looking to offend anyone, I wanted to share My Personal view and experience so that others may learn from it, or treat their own situation with the High probability of the same positive result.

I am an Ex Royal Navy Mine Clearance Diver and now MD of a Company Based in the South of Portugal with a Passion for Health and Vitality. Im in a Public domain and am more than "Comfortable" sharing my personal experience with those seeking a positive result.

• Posted

I was startled to see that our comments to Harry were so quickly deleted. It left a Big Brother taste in my mouth. When I responded (and it was a very brief response) it was to simply state that what Harry said did scare me....the truth often is scary.

Thanks Alan but that's a tricky one. It's a touchy subject when one decides for all. If anyone here doesn't like what they read then they can ignore it, express their opinion or contact YOU but I think you'll find that they want that choice.

• Posted

I unfortunately did not get a chance to read it... but would really prefer to see it. I only saw the preview of it in my inbox, and would like to see the rest!
  • Posted

Hi all,

Apologies for being too "keen" but the comment had been reported by other users and as the only moderator with a large backlog of comments to check/approve I may have been a bit hasty. As I said above I will leave the post if Harry re-posts it.

Regards,

Alan

• Posted

Thank you Alan......I have made a few hasty decision in my life when I have been over-worked too! And who else hasn't? Don't sweat it.....But that's just MY opinion.
  • Posted

Post Script....You should probably reinstate Harry et al

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.