Help needed! mucus clearance!

Posted , 14 users are following.

Dear all,

My name is Ian, and I am an Emergency Medicine physician.

I am currently looking at trying to improve mucus clearance for people with bronchiectasis.

My team and I would need some help surveying people suffering from bronchiectasis and find out reasons they do or do not perform mucus clearance, and if they use any devices to do so.

Would truly appreciate a few minutes of your time, either from phone/skype, or just an email survey!  Please do respond, as your help would be truly beneficial for us, and for patients with bronchiectasis!

Cheers

Ian

1 like, 41 replies

41 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Ian

In UK I have had 8 lots of antibiotics in past 8 months and find mucous clearance very difficult. Like coughing treacle. Diagnosed by lung scan in Sep this year.

I can cough for hours per day and cause real damage to my throat to cough up the smallest bit if mucous about half size of small finger nail

Do  postural drainage every morning

Take honey, lemon, ginger and turmeric in paste form twice a day which helps

On holiday in Vietnam at the moment  and hardly coughed at all. It is 30c temperature and 86% humidity so perfect condition for me

Hope this helps

Alison

• Posted

Dear Alison,

many thanks for your reply!!  Yes, this is of great help!

May I ask - 

1) Has your physician explained the importance of mucus clearance?

2) are you convinced of the importance? if not, why not?

3) Do you use any devices for clearing mucus?

4) does postural drainage make you cough more? How long a day do you spend performing postural drainage?

5) Have you been recommended or have you tried any mucus clearance devices?

6) What is the greatest problem/bugbear you face with mucus clearance?

Truly, thank you for all your help!

Cheers!

Ian

PS we are in similar time zones! i'm in Singapore!

• Posted

Happy to respond by any of the means you suggest. I'll message you my contact details.

66 yo 4 yera bronchX sufferer - Brit expat living in Thailand

• Posted

I have BX, COPD, and Sjogren's, so my mucus is especially thick and everything inside my body is as dry as the skin on the outside ,,, except in those crucial lung areas.

Per my pulmo I take 1200mg of tablet guafenisin twice daily with 8 oz water each time. Twice daily, I use Duoneb followed by Budesonide in the nebulizer, then use a SmartVest. I am supposed to use Duoneb 2 more times daily but can sub Combivent for those treatments because the blasted treatments take up 3-5 hours/daily altogether, depending on how many times I stop to cough, if I do all the nebulizer sessions. Due to the Sjogren's, it's been a rare day for decades that I didn't consume at least 40-56 oz of water.

I'm stable now but was on ABs almost every month from early Aug. '16-May '17. Got the new pulmo in January. Am 63 & in the States.

• Posted

Hi Ian , am also happy to help , was diagnosed with this horrid complaint 3 years back !
  • Posted

Would love to help, Ian! I've sent you a private message...  :=)

• Posted

Yep I have LOTS of mucus—esp in am and after eating ???

Using aerobika—probably need to use more regularly ??

Take antihistamines 3-5xday to be able to be social 😜

• Posted

Wow, Michelle, what kind of antihistamines can you take so many times a day without side effects?
  • Posted

Ian,

I have reported this before, and I know that not everyone can handle this process, but it sure works for me...

I was diagnosed about 10 years ago, and had numerous chest infections, until I purchased an inversion table.  I have used huffing, exercise balls, hanging over the bed, etc., but until I was able to invert fully, my lungs never cleared effectivly.  I hang for a few minutes, and repeat the process 2-3 times.  I do this once or twice a day.  I have been infection-free now for two years.  I am not so naive as to think that this would be easy for everyone.  I am 71, I'm slim, and keep myself physically fit.  However, for those that can handle it, I would highly recommend that they try this.

Gary

• Posted

Hi Gary,

many thanks!!  That is indeed useful!  Simiar to postural drainage.  

The mucus that reaches your throat, do you cough or do you swallow it down?

Cheers

Ian

• Posted

Hi Ian,

It depends on the quantity, but I typically swallow it, which may not be wise.  Any feedback on that?

I should add that I also use a "flutter-valve" every morning.  It seems that I need something to get the mucus moving after a night in bed.  

Gary

• Posted

Swallowing is fine too.  That is what people without bronchiectasis do as well.  

Thank you for your response!!  Truly appreciated.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.