Help! Perimenopause at 36? Or am I losing it!!!

Posted , 20 users are following.

I am 37. Last year I went to 10 different Dr's and spent so much money to find nothing. My symptoms are weird and all over the place. Finally Dr's chalked it up to anxiety, depression, or possibly fibromyalgia....grrr...basically, no answers. I track all my symptoms as well as charting my BBT and notice that my cycle is all over the place. My temps are erratic which lets me know my hormones are fluctuating. I feel like a mental mess and some days i steuggle to get thru. Feel like i'm dying here 😢 Here are my symptoms. They are not consistent. They are hit and miss:

-Weepiness, Anxiety and Depression, mostly after period ends up until mid cycle, not everyday

-Off balance feeling (but not off balance...It's weird, like walking on marshmellows)

-insomnia

-Sore breasts from mid cycle until period

-muscle tightness/ache (randomly and everywhere but especially in shoulders and neck)

-ocassional random skin crawling feelings

-Tinnitus (comes and goes)

- jittery feeling (tested neg for diabetes and blood sugar levels were normal)

-irregular cycles and lighter periods (I was always regular until symptoms started)

-occasional tummy issues

-on and off fatigue

-weird eye symptoms

-night sweats

-zero sex drive

-And a weird spaced out feeling. Like twilight zone weird. Hate this feeling!

-sometimes feel light headed upon standing. Get a feeling of a "gush to my head (had my heart checked...everything looked ok)

The list goes on but that gives you an idea. I feel like i'm losing it. I have been to several gp' s, rhumatologist, neurologist and once I figured out that it might be hormones then i went to an OB..she wasn't much help. Pages of labs and tests turn up nothing. Thyroid tested several times and all normal. Blood Hormonal panel came back a little weird but was taken at the wrong time of the month. Saliva hormone test came back showing low hormones but was also taken at the wrong time. Both tests were taken at mid cycle and then compared to post ovulation levels. I would think an experienced OB would know better but i guess not.

Ladies, any of you go thru this? I've taken so many supplements and even tried progestrone cream. Dr. Told me to up the amount of cream to a much higher dose and literally the next day all of my symptoms were exaggerated big time. A low dose didn't seem to hurt me but a large amount def did something.

At a loss here. Courage needed ??

5 likes, 46 replies

46 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Omg I basically have most of your systems as well, this year I have a new one, it feels weird like tightness feeling under my jaw, my glands feels at times it’s have a muscle cramp feeling.
  • Posted

Oh I have all these symptoms and they are on a rotating basis! Today my shoulders and back are so achy and I’m pretty cranky, have a dry scratchy throat..but it’s always something different after about a week or so..I’m 47 and haven’t tried any type of hormonal treatment, my dr wants me to hold off if I can, which I guess I can because I’m not up for adding anything else right now!! Hang in there and keep reaching out, we are here!!!
  • Posted

Hi Lisa,

I think you and I are twins. 

I am experiencing everything you are.  The random itches, the cold extremities....mainly my left foot. UGH!!

I got to ask because I am freaking out.....what type of eye issues are you experiencing?  I just went to the opthamologist today, and they did some eye x-rays, did the eye exams, did a brief peripheral eye test and nothing. They even took my blood pressure and now I think they thought I was either having a stroke or the early symptoms of a stroke but my blood pressure was 120/80 (as always..normal)  She said fluctuating hormones can cause various eye problems.....I am experiencing just weird vision issues.  I can see fine, no double or blurry vision, no floaters, no black outs, just weird, like a shadow I can see right through. 

She wants me to come in and do a eye field test Monday.  Well like an idiot, I looked up eye field test.  I also looked up "Does Perimenopause cause eye issues" and in fact it dies but honestly still no relief in my anxiety.

Also, wanted to mention I did see my GYNO last week and she put me on Lo-Loestrin to even out my hormones BUT when they did the blood work to see where my hormones are at they were all normal but Im still having hot flashes, mood swings, tinnitus, brown blood for the 1st day of my period, NO sex drive, sore neck and shoulder muscles and the list goes on.

Anyway...my period started today and I started the BC.  I can keep you updated and let you know if it works.

Thank you LIsa for sharing.

Kimberly

• Posted

Awe Kimberly, I'm sooooo sorry you're going thru this. It's so hard. But, knowing we are not alone helps a little ?? I can't even describe my weird eye symptoms. At the beginning I had a few episodes of blurry eyes but haben't had that in a year. At times they are very sensitive to bright lights, especially car lights. Store lights have given me problems. When in wake up in the morning sometimes my vision is "grainy." I think they call it visual snow. I notice It's worse when I have other symptoms, especially when I'm weepy with depression. And I have a general feeling that my visual perception is "off"...I have no vision issues...can see just fine. It's weird, i don't know exactly how to describe it. It's worse when walking and moving. I've also have dry eyes from time to time. My muscle right under my brow bone get really sore from time to time too.

My lifesaver has been charting my cycle...including temps and also spending on saliva hormone tests. It showed my estrogen being very low when blood tests showed levels within normal. I'm about to do a month long hormone panel. It tracks and maps hormones over an entire month. Honestly, i think my hormones are swinging back and forth nearly every month. Thru charting BBT I can see some months my progestron is really high...other months It's low.

Part of all this stress is just not knowing What's going on! I know You understand.

And oh my, the tinnitus. I have it right now. It comes and goes but my current sound is new...and annoying.

Please let me know know how the bc works for you. Bug hugs!!! Hang in there.

• Posted

OMG!!! LIsa, That's it!!  You just described it for me.  "Visual perception"  thats is.  Its off. My visual perception is off.

Thank you.  When the Dr. was asking me today, I couldn't explain it. I just kept saying, it was like a shadow that I could see right through.

I will definitely let you know if the BC works.  It's a very low dose but she said it should even me back out.

Thank you again,biggrin

• Posted

Yeah, you'll pass those eye tests with flying colors. And you'll pass a lot of other tests too smile I'll look forward to hearing how it works for you. Don't get discouraged if it doesn't work right away. A lot of ladies on here mention needing to tweak things for many cycles before finding the right balance for them. I've found that to be true for me too.

• Posted

my biggest eye issue is hooded lids since peri started I feel like my face is slowly sliding off from the top 😂definitely the time for some top grade eye and skin cream. dam you hormones as if the symptoms aren't bad enough there is also baggy skin and I've got A better moustache than my husband

• Posted

Oh poor you Vicky, I also have whiskers my cats would kill for, aswell as a moustache, age spots, dark circles that make me look like one of the walking dead, and saggy eyelids. I recommend 2 products or rather 3. A no-no epilator for unwanted hair all over the body. My Perfect eyes for the dark circles and saggy skin. Proactive+ for spots. Make up wise I have found Sheer Cover foundation and powder and Dermaclor waterproof concealer which also helps with covering the dark circles and spots. I've also lost my eyebrows and alot of my head hair so I have my eyebrows done with semi permanent make up, and my partner shaves my head and I have 5 wigs. All of them short and black but different styles so no more hairdressing bills for me and no more bad hair days. Thankfully, body hair diminishing so no more waxing bills. Some of what has happened to me I have simply embraced and learned to live with it. When I am fully made up, and wearing one of my wigs I have so much confidence now and no one believes I am 54. I am now waiting for dental implants which will transform my looks and I will feel able to rejoin the human race again. So dont despair, we all have to go through this awful thing. Having a good dr, a good partner and a very understanding 2 sons has been a godsend to me. Never underestimate the support your family can give you. If you are not able to talk to them, keep on talking to other ladies who totally know what you are going through on this forum. I thought I was going mad when I began to menopause. I have been perimenopausal for around 6 years, and the final crash came recently. Taking HRT now slowly but surely getting better. Then I will slowly come off it, over a long period, a little at a time so I will be controlling my change not the other way round. Hope it helps you to know that you are not alone and I and lots of other ladies are here for you. Hugs and x's.

• Posted

I am 37 and I have been experiencing EXACTLY the same things! Over the past year, my hair started falling out like crazy. Along with everything you described..especially the anxiety and depression that hits me out of nowhere right when my period ends. There is no reason for it, as my life is pretty great. Every doctor said they are finding nothing wrong. Then I decided to go to the obgyn and he said all of this sounds like perimenopause. My periods, which have always been the same...heavy and at least 5 days long...are now light, short, and I get weird clots and discharge. It's been so terrible that sometimes I feel crazy! I'm so anxious and I find it hard to do my normal routine.

• Posted

Oh hugs! So very sorry you feel like this. It's so aweful!!! I took the month long cycle mapping test from zrt and it finally gave me some clues. My estrogen is low compared to my progestrone. My progestrone is actually higher then my estrogen in my follicular phase until right before ovulation when it sluggishly raises enough for me to have some kind of ovulation. So, that would explain my depression at the end of my period when estrogen is suppose to be way above progestrone levels. I get symptoms all month long and my estrogen appears to be low across the board. It's a relative estrogen deficiency. Not low enough to be obvious on blood tests but low enough compared to progestrone to give me awful symptoms. I was put on progestrone and it made my symptoms worse. Now I understand why. I'm going to try some bio estrogen and see what happens. I'v tried so many herbs and supplements, diet, exercise,...nothing makes a dent. Just desperate for some relief! Hang in there friend!

• Posted

I've experienced a number of those symptoms but the worst was general anxiety and panic attacks. Had me in the ER and urgent care a couple times. Ingesting micronized progesterone changed my life! When you ingest and digest the progesterone, a metabolite is created that helps with anxiety. From https://www.larabriden.com/superpowers-benefits-progesterone/: "capsules are best to relieve perimenopausal sleep problems (because an oral dose delivers more of the beneficial sedating metabolite allopregnanolone). A safe dose is about 20 mg in a cream, or 50 to 100 mg in a capsule. It generally works best taken only during the luteal phase, or in a pulsed fashion if there is no luteal phase." 

I actually take this brand of drops as prescribed by my natropath: https://www.amazon.com/Bezwecken-ProgonB-L-Professionally-Formulated-Pre-Menopause/dp/B00H7GXKKM/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1523846210&sr=8-1&keywords=progonb-l+4x[/b]

Hope this helps!

• Posted

Hello Lisa,

same case here! I have visited all kind of  doctors, many tests, no help! I spend a lot of money without help as you said and at this time I am not financially independent?. ? cannot work under this awful condition..I feel sick all the time and the fatigue is like having constantly the flu

As you mentioned, I feel worse after my period till ovulation!

But  I would like to ask you to you ever feel painful ovulation? Like everything on pelvic area is falling down?

?

I am sure that sometimes I ovulate during my period on 4 day or immediately after on 7 day  and on 14 - 15 day of my cycle I am crying for hours unstoppably. Then I am a  little better for a week till PMDD starts....

In addition, the only time I have sex drive is one day of the month before the earlier ovulation begins...

Before my period, I am constantly experiencing insomnia, formication crawling skin and itching on my scalp, neck or stomach area, hot flashes, extreme hunger ... irritability, nervousness, vaginal and pelvic burning.......

Some months, hot flashes during my period and pain like needles inside my uterus and exactly on  the last day of my period scary heart palpitations and arrhythmias, a sensation like my heart stops beating, this is scary!

?

I do not believe that low progesterone is the solution to  our problem... the culprit is the estrogen deficiency. More progesterone may aggravate the symptoms and especially PMS symptoms such as breast tenderness and swollen calves....

?

?I keep telling myself "Breathing  until your last breath, you will make it! "

• Posted

So sorry. Yes, I do get some pain around ovulation. But I am ovulating. Dr's said, "well, since you are ovulating you have plenty of estrogen". That's not always true!! My tests just came back from my month long zrt hormonal panel and my estrogen is BELOW my progestrone from day 1 until just a few days before I finally am able to ovulate. So I have a very clear relative estrogen deficiency. Estrogen is suppose to be dominant up until ovulation. Not progestrone. I encourage you to chart you bbt if you are familiar with that so you can track your estrogen and progestrone thru that method. And also, if u can afford it...take a cycle mapping test from zrt pr the Dutch test. It gave clear answers. I am starting estrogen this next cycle. We'll see what happens. Hugs!

• Posted

Hello,

​No I am not taking anything...I have terrible estrogen deficiency symptoms on a daily basis and I need sth to be helped as I am tired of this torture.

​I am still menstruating ....but I have noticed that I have little spotting and brown discharges before my period starts...but the real blood flow is coming on time , every 28 days.

​Are you on hormones? Have you seen any improvement?

• Posted

I am seeing an obgyn tomorrow!  I am on a baby dose of bio-identical estrogen from another Dr because my estrogen was almost non-existant.  Periods haven't stopped for a year yet so she was hesitant, even though my estrogen levels were 12. 12!!  I think you need to be around 90 to prevent bone loss.  Just the little bit I am taking has helped, but I can tell I need much more.  The compounding pharmacy where I get my cream from said it was a very low dose of estrogen and recommended this new Dr who they work with.  Here's hoping!!

• Posted

Definetely your estrogen level is too low. On which day of your cycle this value was detected? 

Mine was 23 along with an FSH of 20,5 and LH 18,3 last January, on day 3 of my cycle!

?

I am experiencing all menopause symptoms and I am scared a lot for developing osteopenia and diabetes....I have regularly joint and bone pains and sudden drop of my glucose levels especially after eating.

?

I would like to ask you, are you experiencing any digestive issues and generally have you noticed changes in your symptoms with  the weather's changes?

?

Yesterday, I was on the 11 day of my cycle and it was a good day in general but this morning I woke up with this awful sensation of formication on my scalp and itching to different places of my body...All night I was dreaming ( this is another chronic symptom...)

I was wondering if some of my symptoms are because of low estrogen or because of the sudden drop of my blood sugar levels?rolleyes

?Good luck for tomorrow!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.