Help! Perimenopause at 36? Or am I losing it!!!

Posted , 20 users are following.

I am 37. Last year I went to 10 different Dr's and spent so much money to find nothing. My symptoms are weird and all over the place. Finally Dr's chalked it up to anxiety, depression, or possibly fibromyalgia....grrr...basically, no answers. I track all my symptoms as well as charting my BBT and notice that my cycle is all over the place. My temps are erratic which lets me know my hormones are fluctuating. I feel like a mental mess and some days i steuggle to get thru. Feel like i'm dying here 😢 Here are my symptoms. They are not consistent. They are hit and miss:

-Weepiness, Anxiety and Depression, mostly after period ends up until mid cycle, not everyday

-Off balance feeling (but not off balance...It's weird, like walking on marshmellows)

-insomnia

-Sore breasts from mid cycle until period

-muscle tightness/ache (randomly and everywhere but especially in shoulders and neck)

-ocassional random skin crawling feelings

-Tinnitus (comes and goes)

- jittery feeling (tested neg for diabetes and blood sugar levels were normal)

-irregular cycles and lighter periods (I was always regular until symptoms started)

-occasional tummy issues

-on and off fatigue

-weird eye symptoms

-night sweats

-zero sex drive

-And a weird spaced out feeling. Like twilight zone weird. Hate this feeling!

-sometimes feel light headed upon standing. Get a feeling of a "gush to my head (had my heart checked...everything looked ok)

The list goes on but that gives you an idea. I feel like i'm losing it. I have been to several gp' s, rhumatologist, neurologist and once I figured out that it might be hormones then i went to an OB..she wasn't much help. Pages of labs and tests turn up nothing. Thyroid tested several times and all normal. Blood Hormonal panel came back a little weird but was taken at the wrong time of the month. Saliva hormone test came back showing low hormones but was also taken at the wrong time. Both tests were taken at mid cycle and then compared to post ovulation levels. I would think an experienced OB would know better but i guess not.

Ladies, any of you go thru this? I've taken so many supplements and even tried progestrone cream. Dr. Told me to up the amount of cream to a much higher dose and literally the next day all of my symptoms were exaggerated big time. A low dose didn't seem to hurt me but a large amount def did something.

At a loss here. Courage needed ??

5 likes, 46 replies

46 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Lisa, yes I have digestive problems as well.  Very slow motility.  I'm a bit hypoglycemic as well, which I think is part of the hormone thing.  Nervous about my appointment; I just want to be validated.  It would be a dream for a Dr. to say, "oh sweetie, no wonder you are feeling so poorly!  We will get you fixed up with the right hormones for you."  I haven't had a good time with most Dr's, but I've been really praying about this.

• Posted

Oh my goodness I could cry! This sounds exactly like what I’ve been going through!!!!
    • Posted

Don't give up and don't lose hope. Read my comment above but I started bio hormone replacement and noticed some improvement this month. My depression was way more mild this month and the weird, off balance, spaced out feeling that has been constant for over 12 months was almost completely gone. I added in bio estrogen starting on day 1 of this past cycle and then started adding in progestrone on day 12. Continued both til day 25. I'm no where near normal but did notice improvement.

• Posted

Hi!  I’m 42 and considering coming off the pill.  The reason I’m even on it was to “regulate” every symptom you described of which I was going through at 36.   I went to see my OBGYN, whom I loved while I was having babies, but when I came to her with a list of symptoms very similar to yours, she brushed me off as crazy, she said I was too young to even consider perimenopause.  I had blood work done, just about everything within normal limits...  one test showed I had a positive RF factor which led to being monitored for rheumatoid arthritis.  Nothing...  and of course I researched the heck out of my symptoms found there was a connection between estrogen levels and a positive RF test, which led me back to perimenopause.  

I reacquainted myself with an active lifestyle.  Jogged, played tennis and exercised religiously.  I felt normal again, the pill was only to control my periods at that point.  I’m nervous coming off the pill, fearful I’ll have symptoms come back but hopeful that keeping active will help.  

I just wanted to post some of what I went through in hopes that someone might find a familiarity with my experiences and might find solice in knowing they aren’t alone.  There is nothing worse than feeling scared from having symptoms that can not be explained and having professionals and loved ones just thinking you are crazy!  

Thank you for your original post!

• Posted

How interesting. I had a slightly high rf test result also. Dr's tested me three times for everything auto immune related. Stiff joints i do get but not very often at all and certainly not a major symptom.

I came off bio's. It helped with some of my symptoms but made my anxiety go thru the roof for an entire cycle. Sigh...wish there was an easy fix to this junk. I've considered birth control but have decided on nothing st this point. Ugh!

• Posted

Don’t you love what comes with being a female and getting older?  

Do what is best for you.  Exercise has always helped with my health issues.  I definitely can feel negative changes when I’ve stopped daily PA bc of injuries.  Good luck and keep us posted on how you are doing!

• Posted

I have been dealing with all these symptoms and it's terrible. The worst being uncontrolled mood swings, anxiety, restless legs and a burning feeling in my chest that feels like sunburn from the inside. I just started the pill, and after 2 weeks I feel worse! But I'm hoping I have the strength to keep with it because I'm hoping after awhile it can help to level my hormones out. My periods are very light and short now..and I spot between. All of these things are so scary and I still have to raise 4 kids and run a business so no time for feeling sorry for myself 😭

• Posted

Please let us know how the pill works for you. It's the only thing i haven't tried and honestly...I'm too scared. I hope it levels things out for you!

• Posted

Hang in there!  Hopefully things will even out for you.  I’m on a very low dose pill.  I originally started with byaz which made me crazy and absolutely ill.  I then changed to a brand named Sronyx.  The name has changed over the years but the dosage all the same.  I can also relate to your chest pain, I too have a burning heavy feeling that has been going on now for about 2 months.  Started with one specific spot that I could point out to now around my sternum.  I asked a friend/surgeon who said it sounded like costochondritis but to go get checked to make sure it’s nothing else.  I read on it and it’s s condition related to physical injury and can be worsened by stress.  I hope you all find relief very soon.
    • Posted

Thank you! Today I am feeling much better. I realized the last couple days that were rough were my ovulation days, so hormones were definitely not happy. I'm hoping this pill will help..I'll definitely stick with it. I'm also just trying to get to peace with this new transition my body is doing, and to not freak out so much when it's a bad day/week...my body birthed 4 beautiful babies and now I guess this is the new normal for now. #justbreath #hormonalmess

• Posted

Ok, I definitely will keep you posted!! I am entering week 3 tomorrow. I was so scared as well! So far it is ok...I feel bloated, crampy, and my boobs are sore. I actually feel pregnant lol...first week I was nauseous. I'm hoping my PMS will be more tolerable..but we shall see. This whole experience with entering perimenopause at such a young age has been so crazy. I feel like if I can get through this I can get through anything! It's been hard. Hope you are feeling ok. I definitely appreciate the good days when I get them. The bad days are pretty bad. I'm so thankful I found this post!

• Posted

I have many of your symptoms and it's really difficult to cope with. Its really nice and comforting to know you're not the only one going through this alone. 

Be strong with GPS and take a diary of your symptoms. It may make then realise what you're going through x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.