Help please!

Posted , 18 users are following.

it is almost 4 weeks since I had my op for TKR and I am feeling miserable!  Sick of all the pain, nausea from medication, and now lack of appetite. I've even gone off tea and coffee. Am now drinking hot water and lemon. Nobody told me how tough things would be after operation. I'm trying to do all the exercises etc. Feeling very down and tearful. Can anybody help me please?

2 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hilary - I have been on this forum since September to get me through the dark days of post op.  Everyone who has answered you has given great advice.  We've all been through the same pain, emotions and doubt.  I spent many days those first 4-5 weeks crying....just couldn't help it. It actually helped!  No, the Dr's don't or can't tell you how you're going to react to this type of operation, but I think they should and can be more specific about the pain (although some go through this with better management of the pain),  If you haven't experienced this type of pain, it is hard to explain.  I think we can all agree that you will experience some or all of:  intense pain, loss of appetite from meds, consipation, brain fog from meds, depression of some sort, sleeplessness, doubt or regret, feeling alone and very emotional.  I can remember just going through each day like a zombie, doing what was needed; exercises while crying, elevating leg, icing, napping and staying hydrated.  I couldn't eat anything and the meds on an empty stomach made things worse.  And then miraculously 6 weeks had gone by and I felt like I turned the page on the worst of it.  That seems like a long time when you're in the thick of it, but time does go by.  Truly, each day is a step towards a more normal life.  Now at almost 5 months out, I may be living with some residuals, but it seems, again, everyone has them: stiffness, numbness, nerve pain, clicking but it's all things I can live with.  And I'm sure these issues will disappear with time.  Am I ready to have my other knee done?  Not there yet, mentally.  I'm going to put that off as long as possible.  One last thought:  I remember the Dr's saying that recovery would be 70% after the first 3 months, then the next 30% over a year or so...they just can't tell you the degree of pain to expect.  Hang in there...time will pass...things will improve, and by 6 months out, you will have forgotten many of those dark days.  My PT was a life saver, I looked forward to each visit.  You have many people thinking of you!
  • Posted

I felt lousy until week 5 on my first knee and 6 on the second. Even then my soft tissue was not healed and I absolutely could not sleep. My legs are still somewhat stiff (they feel like gumby rubber) but are not painful.i am at three and a half months on the right knee and two on the left. The left hurts if I stand for a prolonged period of time and I still get minor pain going down steps. No pain killers needed for the last month, appetite fine. Hang in there. Each week gets better.
  • Posted

Hi Hillary ,

I am at 8 weeks post TKR. There has been a big change in the last week or so. I am in the Boston area in the USA, I am unfamiliar w/some of the drugs that some of u mention.

i can only speak for myself in that I know that I have a strong adverse reaction to most meds. I asked not to be put on Percocet , vicaden , morphin, or OxyContin . I was actually only on codeine and Tylenol in the p.m. These did not make me nauseous and I was able to handle the pain. As of now, I take Advil or alleve when needed.

i was determined not to be nauseous on top of being in pain. 

Perhaps u can have ur pain meds reavaluated so u wouldn't be so sick. It is very important to eat. Both my pt and dr. Stressed this. Important to help heal ur nerves, muscles, blood vessels , etc.

that all being said, I still do not have the greatest appetite, but do eat 3/x a day. I'm not sure what it is that affects the appetite , aside from drugs and pain. Hopefully u will find some answers to ur predicament !!

best wishes and thinking of you😀🙋🏻

• Posted

I must say all of you that mention that u had the 2nd TKR months after 1st r very brave!!! I can't even consider it at this time and hope to not have to have it done. My other knee hurts sometimes but I hope it's because I'm favoring it. Kudos to all of you that r so brave!!
  • Posted

Oh Hilary, you poor thing! I think 4 weeks is a horrible time, it seems like ages since surgery yet still so far to go.....

I dont think anyone can truly understand the pain levels involved until they've been through it....

It's always worth checking with your GP to see if there's an alternative to the Tramadol if it's causing you severe nausea - it's a VERY effective pain med but not everyone can tolerate it.

And with your nausea, is there anything that you fancy eating at all? Anything? If so, just have what you can stomach for now. Regular eating habits will soon return. Ginger is very good at easing nausea, try a ginger biscuit or maybe ginger tea or ginger beer....with my first TKR I think I existed on a couple of slices of wholemeal toast and honey a day for the first couple of weeks.......

I hope you have a better day tomorrow, and keep talking to us on here, we really do understand xx

• Posted

Hello Terri

I'm going to speak to my GP tomorrow re medication and hopefully he can suggest a change. I had my 2nd session of Physio today and I was able to talk about how awful I was feeling. I got through the exercises quite well and he was pleased with my progress - this gives me hope! It's all very up and down though and I am comforted by all the kind messages of support today. It is good to share ups and downs with others who are going through the same thing. I pray I do not have to get the other knee done!!

• Posted

Hi Hilary18612

You have come to the right place to find out what you are few and experiencing is normal. I first posted on here post op day 6. I was so scared my surgery had gone wrong with the amount of pain I was suffering. I am now only day 11 post op and still in a lot of pain. I had my surgery outside my own country and the only pain relief I have been given is Panadol. It's not enough as I am pulling back on my rehab due to pain. I was talking to my niece in Australia she is a nurse and her husband is a surgeon. They both said it can take a good 6 weeks before pain will ease. The people on this forum are so helpful and understand what you are going through. Hold strong I know I am trying. Cry when you need to, sleep when you can xxx

• Posted

guys get off the pain meds as quick as you can this will only hinder the recovery, I'm at 12 weeks.  I ditched the walker two days after surgery and the cain 2 weeks later into PT, when walking be sure to do it heel toe and try not to look down.  Yes I could not sleep a wink for almost six weeks and never really found any relief from meds. Between constipation and lack of sleep I almost took a hostage, but now its better each day, just think a year not today.
    • Posted

Hi there, I'm interested to know what makes you say that pain meds hinder recovery? I had 2 TKR's within 7 months of each other and found the opposite - not using adequate/appropriate pain relief hindered my exercises and rehab, and made things far worse than necessary.

Right through my TKR journey, I've been surprised at the vast differences between people's experiences, (even the difference between my own 2 surgeries!), and there seems to be no such thing as a "typical" TKR or recovery.

• Posted

Hi there. I agree with Terri 59470 every time I tried to cut down on my medications, the pain would get unbearable, then my knee would swell up more and my bend would tighten up and I struggled to do exercises. I found once I got the right medications that suited me, I started to feel much better. I am now 8 weeks and still on quite a lot of medications but the swelling is going down and I am able to do exercises better. I still don't sleep well but I'm sure it will come. It's great if you can get by without medication but not everyone's the same. You have to do what you find gets you through the recovery and not beat yourself up about it. Best wishes to all of you Jannette
    • Posted

Jannette, hi there! It's good to hear from you! And sounding as though you're getting on a lot better than 4 weeks ago when I remember talking to you. Glad you're doing ok.
    • Posted

Hi Terri yes feeling so much better, my medications were changed and they found I had an infection so was put on antibiotics and seem to have finally turned a corner. How are you doing? Best wishes Jannette
    • Posted

I agree,I'm not tying to trivaize this my knee hurt so bad I sceamed and could not sleep for almost two motnths.  But you have to get your body back on schedule and you keep he pain med going you won't be able to read the pain, in the end it's up to the patiant. I tried taking medication befoe PT nd at night once my intial script was gone I quit.  I just needed the one done, I apprecate anyone who has both done.
  • Posted

Hi Hilary.  I am 7 weeks post op & am shocked as to how hard it has been.  I wasn't prepared for the mental part of it.  I am extremely active & work 6 days a week, which I very much enjoy.  I also dealt with loss of appetite & nausea.  My Dr changed my meds from percocet to tramodal, and it helped greatly. I was also taking A LOT of ibuprofen, and I switched to 2 aleve per day. I take one tramodal at night so I can sleep & one after PT and then the aleve in between. I am only at a 90 degree bend, which has me down in the dumps.  I know this is a long recovery, but I understand how you are feeling, because I am feeling the same way!  This website helps you know that there are others that feel the same way.  Best of luck!
  • Posted

I am on day 25 after TKR both knees.  I'm still taking hydromorphone and if necessary Vicodin at bed time.   I am finally getting a couple hours of sleep at a time.  When I wake up I feel like my pain is at level 7.  Since my next dose isn't for 2 hours I adjust my position and try to go back to sleep.  My husband says I whimper during the night.  Is having such a high pain level normal at his stage?  Docs assistant feels I should be getting off pain meds soon.  I can't imagine zero bedtime pain meds at this point.  I'm on quite a high dose of meds but they just don't seem to get the pain level where I want.  Am I being unreasonable and do I need to just suck it up ?
    • Posted

You're not being unreasonable at all, and I'd ask the Doctors assistant how many TKR'S she/he has personally had - my guess is none! Unless you've been through this ordeal yourself, there is NO possible way to understand the depth or duration of the pain.

I've whimpered in my sleep as well, and I bet we're not the only ones.

It's good that you're starting to string together a couple of hours of sleep, it's a step in the right direction. The downside, as you've found, is the pain and stiffness on waking. Try doing some VERY gentle stretches before you try and get out of bed, I've always found it can help.

I know you said about what your Doctors assistant said about pain meds, but if you're struggling to keep it under control then I'd suggest a review with your Doctor themselves, maybe a review of your meds is in order as there may be something (not necessarily stronger, just different) that will suit you better.

Im at 16 weeks out from my 2nd TKR and I still take meds at night......sleep and rest is vital to recovery so fiddle to what people might say, if I have pain, and I work closely with my Doctor, then if I need pain meds I will take them.

Keep coming and talking on here, and private message me any time if you want a private chat xx

• Posted

OMG, I can't even imagine doing both knees. You are very courageous!!

25 days is nothing!!! I agree w/ Terri, these docs should have this surgery before they dole out their advice. Of course you need meds!! I was on codeine and Tylenol at night for the the first 4-5 weeks. Some peeps need stronger meds. We are all different . There is no right or wrong. You need to advocate for URSELF and get meds when needed for pain.

im at 9 weeks, doing pretty well, but still get very stiff, nerve regeneration pain and just general, can only do so much in a day. If I cook and do laundry , etc., I'm done and need to ice and rest.

i also go to pt 3/x week and my pt said he will put in for me to come as long as he deems it medically necessary. I may go for 4 more weeks or so. I live in the states and I am extremely fortunate that my Medicare and supplemental Medx covers my pt!! I too am frustrated at not ha I g my normal life back, but have adjusted; Most days! Anyhow. 

I have just started Sleep better this past week. 

Best of luck, and k ow that you are not unreasonab,le

• Posted

Thanks Terri.  I am so happy to read comments from others that are on a similar journey. One or both, it's still brutal.  I will not let the assistant initimidate me and I am trying to focus on the future.  I no longer have to get cortisone shots or gel shots which were pricy and didn't provide a lot of relief over the past 2 years.  I imagine a year from now my lifestyle will be so different and I will be out amongst the living vs. watching from the sidelines.  Not quite ready to state I'm happy I did this but I had no choice and living with the pain I had would have been a nightmare.  
    • Posted

Hi there!

I found that the PAIN meds I was taking wore off pretty quickly. They also made me feel very LOOPY. At week two post op I finished my blood thinner shots, got off the Hydrocodone and began Ibuprofen. When I had pain at night I got up and walked around and stretches. I had a cup of tea , read a bit, and then took more Ibuprofen. It helped a lot.

Pain is a weird thing. Not everyone has the same pain tolerance, so I think you just have to try different things to see what works.

I had issues with my hips hurting and also sciatic nerve and lower back following surgery. I used Icy Hot roll-on for those areas especially if my walking, teatime, stretching, reading regimen wasn't working that night.

You will figure out what works by trying different things. Day 25 is still pretty early in the game, so swelling, pain, and overall tiredness is pretty much the norm.

It gets better. Try to stay positive to get those endorphins moving which help control pain.

• Posted

Thanks Cheryl.  I'm can confirm each day I improve in some way or another. My doctor wants me to take aspirin for 30 days so I might move to ibuprofen when I finish them.
    • Posted

Aspirin and Ibuprofen are both very good at controlling inflammation, and do great at helping with pain, too. I have had good results with the liqui-gels which apparently are easier on the stomach.

Yes, as time passes, strength returns, and you find you can do things you may not have been able to do for many years! Just keep listening to your body, and it will tell you what it needs!

• Posted

I had such a hard time sleeping in the begining I think I just passed out from exhaustion, finally I just slept sitting up in a chair with an ottaman, seemed to work.
    • Posted

Hi, thanks for the response. I am at 9 weeks and have finally started to sleep last week! Without any sleep aids, as they made me so loopy. I just take Aleve at night and have had several good nights of sleep😀

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.