Help please!

Posted , 18 users are following.

it is almost 4 weeks since I had my op for TKR and I am feeling miserable!  Sick of all the pain, nausea from medication, and now lack of appetite. I've even gone off tea and coffee. Am now drinking hot water and lemon. Nobody told me how tough things would be after operation. I'm trying to do all the exercises etc. Feeling very down and tearful. Can anybody help me please?

2 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Sorry to hear it has been so grim for you. The pain has a nagging quality that's quite hard to handle and bad nights are exhausting and demoralising. I think we're at the same stage of recovery. It's a major operation and you lose a lot of blood, so you might be slightly anaemic too. This just makes you more tired till you can rebuild your losses.

My GP gave me 60mg codeine phosphate to take 4 hourly at night after my 3rd sleepless 24 hours. It made me drowsy, but I slept really well from then on. It felt better than Tramadol at night, but was too soporific for daytimes. I never heard of the patch treatments, but they sound great too. Wonder if they're available in UK?

Both Tramadol and codeine phosphate are constipating, especially the codeine. So take laxatives, even if you never needed them before. This might help with resolving the poor appetite. It also adds a sense of achievement to a dull daily round of convalescence, if all else fails!

You will be progressing and you'll suddenly realise how much better you are after each week. It still hurts, but not all the time and you can manage pain with ice, drugs and rests.

Hope you're feeling better soon! Best wishes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.