HELP! Severe constipation 4 days post anterior/posterior prolapse repair and TVT

Posted , 17 users are following.

Im 37 and I thought I was the ideal patient. I had my anterior/posterior and TVT surgery on Wednesday morning 1 July (it is currently the wee hours on Sunday morning). I woke from surgery with excellent vitals, my catheter and packing was removed on Thursday morning. I had two slightly uncomfortable bowel motions while in hospital, and discharged Thursday afternoon. My bleeding, while still bright red is very light.

However, I have been experiencing the most horrific constipation. I have been taking Movical (I had 3 sachets today). I have tried everything: I usually drink between 2-3 litres of water a day, though at the request of my Dr have reduced in the short-term to allow the TVT time and comfort to heal; I use a step to put my feet on while sitting on the toilet; I sit calmly (adopting a terrible habit of reading on the loo) in the hope that gravity will do the work; and I don't eat bread as it is a usual culprit in the constipation game.

The constipation was that bad tonight that I vomited while on the toilet. I had nowhere to go, thankfully my beautiful husband grabbed a mixing bowl from the kitchen. The stool was pushing into my vagina wall and was excruciating. In the end I had to resort to manually getting it out (I'm so sorry for the graphical information).

The pain, after strong pain relief, is currently like my vagina is on fire and I feel like I have barbed wire in my rectum.

I can feel a lump at the base of my vagina / perinium which doesn't involve any external stitches.

I am terrified I have undone the prolapse repair (or vaginal plastic surgery as I referred to it with my Dr)

3 likes, 57 replies

57 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I am so pained for you. My surgery was June 30 as out patient (live in the states) had a little trouble coming off anesthesia but still came home that evening. Did not have BM till Thursday and was the scariest ever. Tried to pass out before I was able to go. I spoke with my doctor the next day to get advice.

I'm not sure of your ability to contact your doctor but that would give you peace of mind if you could let he/she know what you are going through.

Are you taking stool softners? That could help. My doc had meadd oil to my diet. I chose coconut.

I will pray for your quick comfort and that no damage has beendone.

• Posted

Hi janice41238 - thank you for responding. I'm pleased to read your recovery is going well. Obviously I can relate with the pain attempting BM.

I will get a follow-up call on Monday with the Dr's surgery and will definitely mention this experience.

Movicol is a stool softener and gentle laxative, I'm going to going to increase my consumption slightly for the next few weeks. I like the idea of adding some extra coconut oil to my diet - thanks for the tip.

I must have been very mentally unprepared for this experience. I thought with age on my side I was going to recover significantly faster. I don't know anyone else that has had the same or similar procedures. My mother-in-law had a vaginsl hysterectomy about 6 years ago. I remember her being off her feet for 6 weeks, but that's really all.

If I had to describe post surgery discomfort to someone, I genuinely feel this is worse than childbirth. I was fortunate to only have minor tearing with both children. This discomfort, and at times pain, is something I wasn't prepared for.

• Posted

Hi Janice,

I hope your recovery is going well. I am having a posterior repair and TVT surgery July 14. I live in Canada....I guess we are neighboors.

My surgery is day surgery and done with a spinal and some sedation. I leave hours after. 

Yo you mentioned pain for bm's but would you mind tellin about the actual pain from the surgery? You're a week in now....how do you feel? Are you uncomfortable sitting? Are you getting out of staying home? 

I realize I won't be lifting for six weeks or doing heavy housework, but I'm hoping I can still enjoy my walks and at least do a few errands and have some visits with friends.

My surgeon compared the pain to that of an episiotomy, would you agree with that? 

Thank you you for taking the time. smile

• Posted

You are as prepared as we can be until we experience our own.

IBS, childbirth and this are definitely similar in pain.

I'm a little older at 48 but believe if we take the rest needed we'll continue to heal. Hope you have some good help, don't rush the recovery. smile

The experiences of others on the forum helps too. Take care!

• Posted

Hi Lindie,

Yes we are neighbors!

I have had pressure and pain some burning. It could compare to an episiotomy, though that's almost 21 years ago for me. smile The pain or discomfort is not bad. I do have pain medicne to help and have backed off quite a bit. Don't hesitate to take if you need to keep in control.

Sitting isn't real comfortable yet. I recently read an informational sheet that recommends NOT sitting or standing for more than 30 min at a time for the first 2 weeks. Also mentions the need tomove so not to bring on more problems. Short walks and outings should be therapeutic.

I get up so much to pee that I'm tired but bored all at the same time just laying around. You take it easy and listen to your body.

Do you mind if I pray for your surgery and recovery?

Please let me know how you fair!

• Posted

Poor you that sounds awful and I can't think why what you are doing isn't helping. I am 9 weeks post op and I remember feeling a pressure and feeling like something was coming down in the early days but it got better as time went on I guess it was swelling. Have you tried to put some pressure on the perineum (not an easy position to get to whilst on the loo) it may help. I hope your situation improves soon and try not to worry as that won't help your bowel. I think the most important thing is not to strain also keep up with pelvic floor exercises I think this helps too.
    • Posted

Hi nannylin - thanks for taking the time to read and respond.

9 weeks post surgery - how I wish that was me right now!

Thanks for the tip re: some pressure on the perineum to assist in passing BM. I'll google some suggestions on how to do this.

My greatest concern at the moment is the lump I feel on the perineum. Though now am curious if it is swelling etc and I'm being a little unforgiving? My mum did a heap of research online (even watched some videos of similar surgeries!!) and has said our body goes through a fair bit for this procedure.

Here's hoping your recovery continues to go well and you're back to normal activities.

• Posted

Your mum is right your body has been through a lot and is very swollen inside someone on this site described it as feeling lumpy. I have had 2 kids, a hysterectomy and a bowel resection due to Crohn's disease and this was by far the most painful and harder to get over. Be patient and give it time it will get better. A warm bath to relax yourself may also help. Hugs to you.
  • Posted

Hi. Hope you are feeling bit better today. I had vaginal vault repair and posterior fascial repairs two weeks ago under spinal block. All went really well, home after two days and felt ok. Not any more! A bowel movement takes over my entire day! Taking Lactulose, prune juice, masses of water - in fact I should be on the loo all day!! The pain through my bowel, pubic bone and into buttocks is horrendous. Today it is worst its ever been. I cannot stop crying, cannot go to the loo and feel extremely sorry for myself. It hasn't been this bad before. I wonder if it is because I walked a bit more yesterday and stood for longer. I have a really high pain threshold but this is pain like I've never experienced even with total hysterectomy and a gall bladder removal. It is so good to know others are going through the same - I know it will pass but want it to speed up! 
    • Posted

Hi JoolsB

You are so much braver than I am! I could not have done that surgery awake.

My fear (or prediction!) has come true today. After my excruciating constipation, I now have the runs. I suspect I over did it on the movicol, pear juice and prune juice. I hope you get some movement soon.

I have been on the phone to the hospital today though as I'm gushing fresh red, clotted blood. The suspicion is that I have burst some stitches - so PLEASE - be careful.

I really hope your pain subsides soon, and you get some BM relief. Look after yourself.

• Posted

Praying your pain will ease your relief to be swift. So sorry to read of sufferings. I cannot complain when I hear or your dealings.

Take care

• Posted

Continue to rest. Amazing how our bodies were made and can heal. Praying for some peace for you today.
    • Posted

What was it like with a spinal? Did they also sedate you? I'm having a posterior repair and tvt next week with a spinal and it's the spinal that has me a little more worried..I'll be sedated too. 
    • Posted

It was absolutely fine. Nothing hurt at all, the needle was in and it started to go numb really, really fast. Strange seeing a pair of legs up in the air and realising they belonged to me! My anaethatists (spelt wrongly!) were brilliant - one looked like Si from The Hairy Bikers - were so efficient, kind and amusing. I was absolutely fine for the first 20 minutes or so of the op, watching seagulls out the window! But then I felt faint stirrings of panic so they gave me a sedative which just took the edge off - felt like I'd had a large glass of wine!  After that, time just floated by. I went into recovery room and had none of the usual after effects, no vomiting or sleepiness. Plus, the first evening was great as no pain kicked in for hours as I was still pretty numb from waist down. All in all it was not unpleasant at all. Be brave, you will be fine. X
    • Posted

Thanks JoolsB. I will be glad when it's all over. It's been great hearing other womens experiences....so helpful! Tuesday is my surgery...so days away now! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.