Help surgery Monday and petrified.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi ladies

I have my vaginal hysterectomy and anterior repair Monday I'm scared to death.

I hope I'm not in too much pain as I can only take paracetamol. Any advice from anyone who have travelled this road would be wonderful. Help my worried Mind. Speedy recovery all you brave Ladies x

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Welshgirl! I had mine done with keyhole so I can’t comment on the vaginal method. I did have nerves like you though and I can try and out your mind at rest by saying how lovely the staff are and I’m sure they’ll look after you really well! I was in an NHS hospital and can’t fault them apart from they were very busy. I can recommend a visit when you wake as it’s nice to see loved ones and get a hug.  Plus the morphine works a treat 🤪 although I only had a few doses. Try not to worry I’m sure you’ll be fine! Remember to take deep breaths when you feel worry. It helps me immensely! Good luck with it all ??! 

• Posted

Ps paracetamol was good for me too!! 
    • Posted

Ah bless you karmaway.so kind. I love your title.fits the bill perfectly. Yes I hope paracetamol is enough as I can't tasks anything else. I was fine with paracetamol after my gallbladder surgery by keyhole so I'll hope it will be roughly the same. Take care all you lovely brave lafiuesy😘😘

• Posted

Opps lol I meant Ladies😀😀😀

• Posted

I had a vaginal hysterectomy in 2016--I can't speak for the anterior repair.  Morphine was used in the hospital and it worked very well to ease my pain.  I didn't need any heavy duty pain meds afterwards.  Just remember to give yourself plenty of time to rest and heal afterwards, and try to take it day by day.  Hopefully your will receive post-op instructions from your doctor.  Best of luck to you. xx 

• Posted

Thanks Lynda

Yes I've been through anterior before so know all the rules from this great forum.

I intend to do nothing for first 2 weeks then gentle exercise round the block.. I will takes walks round the house in the early days too.no morphine' for me only paracetamol.

X

• Posted

I wish you the best of luck!  I'm facing open surgery in a few weeks and am extremely anxious about it.  Not terrified, at least not yet. Plans are being formulated and depend on the outcome of a CT scan next week and consultation among three doctors over the next two weeks.  It seems the more information we get, the more questions occur.  Don't know what I'd be doing if it weren't for the support I'm getting from family and friends.  The ladies on this site are among them.  Please let me know how you get on! xx 

• Posted

Hi!!,I'm a Welsh girl too!!!!....i had the exact same operation three weeks ago at the royal Gwent in Newport....I was petrified,so so scared,but I have to say that the staff were amazing,and made me really feel at ease. Ask me anything you want....I am obviously still off work and having to take things real easy,and I'm not sure how well the outcome of my surgery is until my post op appointment next month.What I can say is that it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

• Posted

Hi to one welsh girl to another😀😀 .im from Swansea.

I hope your recovering well lovely.I'd you have a vaginal hysterectomy and was there much pain afterwards? How did you feel the next day hun could you walk OK ? I can only take mild paracetamol o hope the pain is bearable. How are you feeling.xxx

• Posted

Other tips I would give are about post op...When I came out of hospital I could wee but it was uncomfortable especially at the end of weeing....But my main problem was passing stools,I simply didn't have the urge yet I felt stuffed from both ends,so I couldn't eat anymore let alone poo!. The doctor prescribed lactulose liquid,you just take 15ml twice a day ,it is amazing,it is a stool softener not a laxative (which you can't take after surgery as it makes the muscles contract,not a good idea),for me it took a lot of worry office as this was my main problem post op.

• Posted

Hi again!....You asked how I'm feeling,well I am ok,I agree with all the advice that you must take it easy....But your body will tell you this anyway. If you looked at me walking around I wouldn't look different I was walking pretty well even when I was in hospital (I was in for four days). I don't know what I feel exactly because I had the two procedures together.... Initially I felt a bit woobly inside,I didn't feel good secure inside,I guess that was the feeling from the hysterectomy,but that is gradually getting better. The only after feeling I have from the prolapse repair,bladder,I mean,is that I feel a little at the end of having a wee,but that is getting better. I do find it hard not being busy,not being able to go out for walks with the family,or shopping etc...But im only three weeks post op,so I guess it's early days

• Posted

Thankyou for your great advice. I have bought movicol today ready for when I'm home.I will get some lactulose if I need it. What a strange feeling of being wobbly inside. It must be all the organs finding there new home lol.

I have plenty of help at home with my husband taking 3 weeks off to be my nurse and dfo asll the housework also. Our children are 19 and 22 so they can look after themselves .

Roll on Tuesday when the cath comes out.I hate that feeling and the pack.. Keep resting love xx

• Posted

Hi Welsh girl167, I've just had my hysterectomy  laparoscopically yesterday and am now home I  also am on paracetamol and a week of injections to stop blood clots at this moment in time I feel ok obviously a little discomfort and still no bowel movement but it's not as painful as I thought it was going to be and I just think it's going to be worth it in the long term so go ahead you will be ok and you must have regular pain killers even if you think you don't need them it will keep you pain free so good luck and keep me posted xx

• Posted

Ahh thankyou for your great advice Yvonne. I'm so glad all went well for you. Can't wait for Tuesday when it will all be over and the cath is out. Makes you feel more human I think. I'm positive that it will bring me back in balance and I'll feel wonderful again soon. I have a wonderful consultant well professor so I'm in extremely good hands. Happy smooth recovery all ladies who are going through the samexx

• Posted

Back to your question....I had absolutely absolutely no pain after the hysterectomy....Hope this helps you feel a bit more relaxed!....I think the prolapse repair was harder as I felt very tight in my bladder like I was bursting for the loo, despite having a catheter. This got so much better after the catheter was removed. I also could walk same day.... Shuffled a bit but it wasn't too bad. Do you know what kind of anesthetic you are having? The only thing that bothers me was that just before I went to theatre the anethatist said he wanted to do a spinal block,which had not been discussed with me before,And it took alot of standing my ground for him to agree with a general anesthesia

• Posted

As far as I'm aware its general love. My consultant never mentioned a spinal to me. I don't want that either, as I need to be out lol hate hospitals with a Passion. Its private so much more like a hotelx

• Posted

I'm sitting here,coffee in hand watching 'homes under the hammer'...I have alot of time on my hands now I'm off work for six weeks!....And as I'm watching this quality (?) Tv,I am also reminded of what an important day this is,and I'm crossing everything for you today....Best of luck for the op,and I hope you will post something to tell us how you are. Hugs xxxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.