Help to come off tramadol 50mg

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi.

I'm not here to be judged. I'm just here to get some help.

I have been on tramadol about 5/6 years, I know I have a problem because I am using my 240 tablets month supply in around 2 weeks. I'm averaging between 15 to 20 of 50mg tablets everyday. When I run out I'm ringing doctors making excuses to get more and more. I started using them for chronic migrane and muscle pains. I need to get off these but I'm finding it so hard. Is there any advice or anything I can buy over the counter to help with the withdrawal? I have around 10 tablets left till my next script in a weeks time.

Just a heads up I'm allergic to codeine and ibrufen.

I can't speak to the doctor about my problem as I work in pharmaceuticals although I would never take any from work they don't know that. I'm a 28 year old male from the UK. Any help will be great fully received. Thank you

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi there Sorry to hear that I have just been given them. By my  neurologist ,low dose 50mg, and one of my freinds take it she fine on it ,,she's even stopped it and gone back on ,,my docters are very good with me ,can't you go to a another Docter ,,and sit and talk with him ,,,about this prob , what you have it needs sorting my fiend hopefully it will be sorted soon well I wish u good luck dad of 3 ,Linda ,

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I have tried to come off them but is so hard, I'm so ashamed of my self. My family deserve so much better, everyone would be better off without me I think.

• Posted

I thought exactly the same trust me, just take one day at a time, i didnt want to tell my doc.but as soom as you do you will feel a weight lift and you will hear how common it is and you will get the help you need.
    • Posted

Aww bless u no they ,,,would miss you.  Or should. Thank say they would miss you millions ,,,I lost my husband to bleed in the brain ,,god I miss him ,,  one of my freinds came off another drug ,,I would say what about starting a  quarter ,,off the tablet ,,it worked for her just a very tiny bit ,,break it into 4 then half the. Tablet then half it again then just take small bit ..smaller the better .hope it works for you good luck god bless u family ,keep n touch let me know how it goes ,Linda.

• Posted

Hi,

You wont be judged i promise you, i was on more than you at one stage and i have been free of tram since November. Listen i won't bull you the withdrawal will be awfull but if you can get a few weeks off work and just get through the first few weeks you will start to feel better.

It will be the hardest thing in your life to date but its the only way unless you can afford to detox somewhere.

I wish you the best of luck bud.

• Posted

'Dadof3' - My advice. Reduce the dose. I am on this stuff for two years. 50 mg never more! I have enought pain to justify this, trust me. TKR operation gone wrong. Sweling, pain, stiffness and chronic infection.  The whole package! Previously in Sweden where the operation (carpentry) was conducted I was generously prescribed OxyContin aka "Hillbilly Heroin".  Great painkiller. But, it's very addictive. Not  approved by the Thai FDA ( Food and Drug Administration). So, it's Tramadol 50 mg capsules.  Most days I can manage with half a capsule 0.25 mg. Washed down with strong coffee. No sugar!  My advice: REDUCE THE DOSAGE!  Greetings from the Kingdom of Thailand - 'Bangkok-Johnny'   

• Posted

SPELL Check! Dadof3' - My advice. Reduce the dose. I am on this stuff for two years. 50 mg never more! I have enough daily  pain to justify this, trust me. TKR operation gone wrong. Swelling, pain, stiffness and bloody chronic infection.  The whole package! Previously in Sweden where the operation (orthopedic carpentry) was conducted I was generously prescribed OxyContin aka "Hillbilly Heroin".  Great painkiller. But, it's very addictive. Not  approved by the Thai FDA ( Food and Drug Administration). So, it's Tramadol 50 mg capsules.  Most days I can manage with half a capsule 0.25 mg. Washed down with strong coffee. No sugar!  My advice: REDUCE THE DOSAGE!  Greetings from the Kingdom of Thailand - 'Bangkok-Johnny'   

• Posted

I feel ur pain. Many years ago I started on Tramadol for fibromyalgia. I was allowed 2 pills 3x daily. Eventually 2 pills wasn't working anymore so I started taking 3 pills 2x a day. I worked up to 4 pills 2x a day and then to 6 2x a day. I would run out before next prescription was due and I would have nothing for about a week. Trying to endure the horrific withdrawal was unlike anything I've ever felt before and I had to pretend I was o.k so no one new what was going on. It was horrible. I didn't want to tell doctor what was going on, which was stupid because he could have slowly weened me off pills. So I was sick of it all and went cold turkey. It was miserable. I think it was 5 or 6 months for the worst of the withdrawal to subside, but I was left with fibromyalgia pain and was so fatigued. After about a yr. of trying different ways to combat pain and fatigue that didn't work I went back on tramadol. I have stuck to what the script says this time even If it isn't helping as well as I like. It's been several years now and I'm doing ok. Doctor added nuerontin and that has helped. I also take an occasional ibuprofen. I understand why I don't want to tell doctor but I agree that u might want to try another doctor but my advice is to have a doctor slowly ween u off the tramadol.

• Posted

I am an tramadol at the moment. The instructions are take 4 a day for pain as required, 50mg.

So I think you are taking far too many and you need to start reducing them.

If they are giving you 240 a month that is still 8 a day (twice as many as me).

Have you got a good chemist? They may be able to help you. Otherwise I think you are going to have to go to your GP.

Remember you are not alone here, there is a lot of help out there.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

Hi there! You sound soooo much like soooo many of us out here in our tramadol HELL. Absolutely no offense to the other replies, but none of them are dealing with where you are at. You have to go through it to understand. I too started very low dose. I also went on and off no problem. Then as years go on, our tolerence goes up , so of course our dose has to be increased and there it is, we find ourselves dependent on this evil drug. Ive been struggling for years on it. I lost count but somewhere a lil under 10years. I have gone amd done things I would never in my life see ME DOING. I read that with this drug the "need" is soooo strong that normal, successful, everyday people will do unmentionable things to get to it once they run out. I sadly found myself doing exactly that. I lied tons of times as to my name, my pain, my birthday, u name it, I had to lie. I was getting so many they caught onto it so I had to switch it up. I am a mom as well. I am not a drinker. I have never done drugs in my entire life, I am just a mom obsessed with my kids. They are everything to me, yet this evil evil drug found its way into my life. I will be veryyyy honest with you. I have tried every single possible way to stop, over over and over again. It is very safe to say you will not be able to do it without help. It isnt even an option at the length youve been on it. Our whole daily lives have been morphed around our tramadol. Its a daily task. We have to learn all over again how to live life with just regular happiness. You cant even imagine how hard that is after taking this drug dor years as we have. Taking the oills is a "reward" to our brain.. So we take a pill or (5) and we feel good. Happy. When we take that away mow we have to go back to getting that happy feeling without the fast shortcut we are used to. It is soooo hard. Trying to do it alone is a dead end. You have to re-learn a whole new routine. Its sooo sad, sooo frustrating, I totally understand. You sound exactly like me. I have been soooo ashamed for years. I think about what a burden I am to my kids, husband and friends DAILY. I feel bad for staying in their lives as they deserve better. Its a daily struggle but I will not give up. For now my advixe is please start researching addiction. Often times we dont like using that word, but it is what it is. We have to own it. Research what it does to our brains. The addicted brain is completely different than a healthy brain. This medical fact is why its a disease, not just a losers problem. Its a very real issue. Our brains have changed completely now. Read up as much as you can. I have now started an antidepressant so my hope is to get that in my system working before stopping the tramadol. One thing people overlook, is how much of a "feel good" drug it is. It has been considered instant anti depressant. It cranks out serotonin so we are always happy. Mellow. Well imagine when we take that away after 6 years?? We arent only dealing with physical withdrawals, we have very strong emotional ones that come with tramadol. This is why I started Cymbalta now. Im praying it will curb that god awful overwhelming depression that kicks in with tramadol withdrawal. Again though, this is why a doctor is sooo important for you. You cannot do this alone. I cant even pretend that it coukd work. There are too many factors that us humans cant fight alone. What I did was found a doctor outside of my clinic. I went to our towns other clinic and saw a doctor I didnt know. It feels sooooooooooo good to say it OUTLOUD to one, trust me.Im soooooo sorry this is so long. Ooops. I have so much to say, I guess I went overboard. Lol. Im truly sorry. I wil help anyway I can. I have your guilt as you said about your family and letting them down. Please now dont believe that. You have a disease, it is not in your control whatsoever. Your family lives you and would want to see you healthy. Look in your kids eyes, and never ever ever never quit quitting. I will continue to until im successful, just NEVER give in to this Hell.

Best of luck, please let me know how you are doing. ???

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply. I need as many people to help me as possible I really want to beat this. I feel like my heads all over and just don't know where to turn. I want to stop feeling like this

• Posted

Oh Dear God, please forgive all of my "typos" in my long reply to you. Reading it back I am horrified. Lol. I was typing so fast last night that I hit many wrong buttons. Sorry about that. 😊

• Posted

Hi everyone.

Thank you all for you replys.

Sorry for late reply.

2 days ago I thought enough was enough and I took 50 tramadol 50mg tablets. I was rushed to hospital and had my system flushed. And lookly I'm fine and here to tell the tell..

I'm now under a mental health team and my Meds taken off me so I couldn't take more even if I wanted to.

I just really wanted to thank each and every one of you for everything. For total strangers to help me the way yous have means a lot. And if any of you are ever in the north east I would love to meet yous.

Thanks again.

• Posted

I am soooooo happy to hear you are ok!!!!!!! I am beyond sorry you went through such a low, awful experience. I would have been DEVASTATED if you wouldve been permanently harmed. I am sooooo happy you have been given help now by medical staff. Please let us know how you are doing! Take care please.❤
    • Posted

Thank you. You seem like such a kind person. It's people like you that make me think life is worth living. Since Tuesday I've had hell off my family calling me names and slagging me off because of my problem then I come here and you are so supportive and your a complete stranger. You really have no idea how much you've helped me x

• Posted

I am soooo sorry to hear what your family has been saying. That absolutely breaks my heart!!!!! I hope you know that none of what they are saying actually describes you?? They might be in shock and therefore handle it poorly by lashing out on you. But do not listen to it. Things are hard enough for you right now, the last thing you need is judgement from the ones you love. They will come around eventually but for now you need to focus on you. Its ok for parents to also need time to just focus on ourselves without feeling guilty. You deserve time to get yourself healthy again!!!! You remind me soooo much of my situation, so Im sorry to go on and on, I just couldn't read your story and not talk with you!!!!

Please let me know how you are doing now. Last you said was you were under the mental health team and they had taken away the tramadol. I hope to God youre doing good. I do know that at first, for awhile, you may not feel good. Thats normal and it does pass!!!! Try to stay strong!!!!

You can look me up on Facebook if you would rather reply privately.

My name is "Wendy Hawkins "

And Im in Wisconsin!!

Take care of you please!!!! 😊😊😊

• Posted

Hi   How you doing Hun ,  haven't been on here for a while as I have had a lot. Going on ,  hope you are makeing a slow recovery. As it's different. For ever one of us ..I am off it now.  ..just takeing pain killers waiting for a MRI scan as something is going on with my legs never mind it will get sorted.   I really hope you are feeling much better and you are getting the help u need .so pleased  that you. Are okay.  Keep your chin up you will get here in the end ...tcare x💜 Linda

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.