Help! Two months on 20mg and weird sleeping issues

Posted , 4 users are following.

The first couple of weeks, I was having on and off insomnia. It got better and I was able to sleep normally. Now, just as I get laid off for a couple of months (thank God), I am having odd sleeping issues. The best way I can describe it is that I know I slept/am sleeping, but I wake up feeling unrested everyday. I also have A LOT of dreams every night. Sometimes I question if I even slept or not. It's really taking a toll on me.

I was absolutely fine for a month and now this happens. I was told by a lot of people that "it's just that time of year". Maybe being unemployed temporarily has got me screwed up; knowing I don't have a routine right now. I also read that there was a condition where people would feel as if they didn't sleep but they actually did.

Can anyone else relate to this?

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi I'm 6 weeks in on 10mg of Citalopram and first few weeks didn't sleep well but now my dreams are very vivid and apparently this is normal and should ease in time and I gave up my full time job through stress and anxiety etc but now I'm actively looking for part time work as I have a 3 year old boy so part time is best but I'm used to a routine which work gives you so maybe that's us out of sorts but it will get better

• Posted

Thank you for your response. I read on other sites that it might not be dreaming too much, just able to remember my dreams more. But the "not having a routine" routine is what I think is causing it. No set bed time, so set wake up time.

• Posted

Morning DG,

As some here will know I had exactly the same as you in the early stages of taking Cita.  I did what you have now done and posted for help and reassurance.

My diagnosis was Work Related Stress (WRS) and I was signed unfit for work on my second visit to my GP when I crashed in the middle of her surgery.  Fortunately, my GP knows a lot about sticking plasters for the brain and prescribed Cita and also suggested taking a look at online help sites and I found and joined this wonderful forum.  She also booked me in for regular fortnightly appointments to begin with to monitor my progress and give me support.

I was about a month and a half in, on 20mg, when I started getting multiple and extremely vivid dreams every night, if my body decided on a toilet break(s) during the night I would bizarrly return to the same or another dream when I dropped off to sleep after!

This was January two years ago and my GP was on leave.  I had come to rely on her judgement, so much, that I could and would not see anyone else.  After a few days I posted here and one person advised, amongst the others, that I should try moving my dosage up from mid-morning to bedtime, which I did over the next four days.  Again, like I tell people here, I was advised by that and other forumers that it may take time to work, if it does, like everything when recoverying from mental illnesses time is the healer.

Because these dreams were multiple and so vivid and when I say vivid, I mean as clear as day and I could remember most every morning!  As you may imagine as my illness was due to WRS every night as soon as they started easing I noticed right away.  Over the next week they decline in regularity and eventually, vividness.

Eventually, a fairly regular sleep pattern emerged, I upped to 30mg and and noticed many changes as the months went by.  I felt inside that Cita worked on my repairs better while I was asleep and my days did get better, if only when I made it downstairs some days.  Here, downstairs, I had an emergency duvet ready for such occassions to crawl under and curl up in until the yuk passed.

It is a long haul for some of us, but as we are so uniquely and individually different no one can say how long that will be!  We don't all get the same side effects or intensity of them so we must be careful what we share and what we read.  It can be a long old haul, but you aren't the first and by no means alone, we're here for you!

Keep postiing, no matter what, keep reading, but be careful not to read into, over worry or think about things that may not and will not concern you.  And I know that is sometimes easier said than done.

You'll get there!  Use this time of being laid off to recover and think about why you came here and is there anything you can do to change going back to the same.  I did I removed myself (eventually I got paid off) from those and that who made me ill - work, lifestyle and situations.  Gradually, I became a very different and better person.

Regards,

David

• Posted

Thank you for the very informative response. I have thought about upping my dose. My doctor even said he would if I felt need. I didn't know WRS was a real thing. I believe that's what started my anxiety returning in the first place. Now, I am unemployed until March and this sleep problem started!

I will see how it turns out over the next week. I just need to have a better sleep schedule; even though I don't have a schedule at the moment.

• Posted

Hi David. I just read you're message and I started to cry as I'm on my 7th week of Citalopram and feel like I'm going back a bit and having some fearful thoughts I was doing ok but now I realise it may take more time like you said and I might go from 10ng to 15mg

• Posted

Hi Debbie, it's the other Debbie again!  

I appear to be a bit like you, was brilliant for the last two weeks and then this morning, anxiety has reared its ugly head. Im hoping it's just a blip. I am due my period, lucky me, and I'm hoping it's just hormones playing up. Feel I've gone back 3 weeks, don't want to eat again, anxious and hot flushes. I feel quite gutted to be honest but will hang in there. I still have diazepam if desperate but haven't taken them for 3 weeks now but if it gets really bad, I will!! 

Let me know how you go x

• Posted

Hi Debbie I'm gutted too as I slept ok I think but this morning had bad panic as if something g bad was going to happen I tried tidying my house while my 3 year old was watching to I had about 5 waves of fear then had a cry then my friend came around for a few hours then when she went I was a little anxious so went for a walk with my son but can't eat again hope this will pass soon x

• Posted

Hi Debbie,

You need to up to 20mg and things will change!  Each time I increased it lessened the side effects until I didn't even have chance to say goodbye to them!  Whether you will need to increase to 30mg who knows, but what I do know you are getting and will be better, it is just a slip to tell you it needs an extra leg-up!

Oh No!  The dreaded Fearful thoughts!  Mine I called, my Dark thoughts!  and scarely they were however, each time I had one I related it to my Fiancee and this certainly helped by just talking let alone trying to work out some special or hidden meaning.  I did start writing them down to discuss with my GP, but I didn't have to they suddenly weren't there any more!

So, first thing up to 20mg and see how it goes (my bets on a change (for the better)), keep notes of the fearfuls and any other kind of thoughts discuss with your nearest and dearest and tell your GP.  Last thing stop worrying or over thinking as you may from some posts posted here.  If you do post again!  You are not alone and we are here for you!

Regards,

David

• Posted

Its bizarre isn't it? I've had horrid anxious thoughts all day, have still managed to walk the dog, take my son to football and do the weekly shop but my stomach is in knots. I can't even cry, I think the cit had numbed me there! My OH has just asked what we're having for dinner and I don't have the heart to say I just can't cook it as it will make me feel sick. Just as I was putting the weight back on as well. I just want to swear, very badly, but might get banned from the forum 😜. Thank god for you guys on here, not that I would wish this anxiety on my worst enemy to be honest, it's crap! 

Lets see what tomorrow brings, can't be any worse xx

• Posted

Hi David thank you that's really helpful and yes I'm going to 20mg, thanks for you're support I don't know what I would do if I didn't have this site, I started feeling better in the afternoon and feel ok just drained now but I know I willl get through this 😀

• Posted

Hi Debbie yes I get a bit moody and just want to scream sometimes lol we have to try and see the funny side even though anxiety isn't funny but I'm starting to watch comedians and funny films on a night when my sons gone to bed also that last message meant to say my son was watching tv not watching me while I'm panicky!! Predictive text!! X

• Posted

Hi Debbie. Trying to keep this from the kids is a nightmare, I just keep telling them that I feel sick.  Mine are 7 and 9 but the 9 year old is a nose ache!!!

anyway, are you any better today? I got my lovely monthlies this morning and do feel slightly better so I'm hoping that's what the issue is... will wait and see, got no choice really! 

This site is a god send to be honest. I bet the majority of us would have given up a long time ago if we hadn't seen this forum.  Certainly my gp didn't say I would feel worse before being better or about how long it may take.

Im waffling, so let me know how you're doing xx

• Posted

Hi yes you're right my GP never said anything about side affects! I upped from 10mg to 15mg last night and woke up loads through the night with anxiety not too bad but got up this morning and told myself some positive affirmations and went out to woods near where I live with my 3 year old, I didn't want to but once I had been out about half an hour I got a good feeling and stayed out nearly 3 hours and we had so much fun so I'm goi g to do it on my own in the morning as my sons at my parents even if I feel anxious I will make myself go, I've ate lots today to but felt sick yesterday so hoping for more days like today. I'm sure you will feel good soon

• Posted

Ha ha, I've just asked how you are on another discussion and then found you'd answered here. Obviously you're having a better day, thank god!

i was the same this morning, not as bad as yesterday. Went out with the kids and the dog for a long walk and by the time I got back, was less anxious. Managed to clean the house, get kids homework sorted, dealt with dinner, all showered so all in all a good day I guess... apart from the air hunger which I mentioned on the other reply!  

Its always good to get out but also to rest as well.  It easy with kids about. I seem to run around like an idiot all the time which doesn't help!, x

• Posted

Haha yes just realised you replied on other one and me too!! Well done for all you've done today and hope you have good days from now on, I'm in bed watching the Royle family a comedy from years ago I love it and it cheers me up before bed so hopefully I will have a good day tomorrow too x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.