Help, what are these stains that keep appearing on my bedding?

Posted , 45 users are following.

Over the last few weeks I am constantly getting these stains appear on my bedding, near the head end of the bed. Mainly appears on the bedsheet but also on pillows.

I have recently been suffering campylobacter food poisoning but this seems to start before that and I think it is probably not related. 

I have also moved home, bought entirely new bedding and still get the problem. I'm washing my bedding regularly and it comes back and is showing no sign of going away.

What can this be, some sort of lice? Please help! My doctors pretty much ignored it when i raised it as they were focussed on the bacterial infection.

1 like, 59 replies

59 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

am definitely having this same problem, and it seems to have started about 6 months ago. But not bed bugs, because it happens in my bed, hotels, when I've visited my parents, and while sleeping in the car. Always only on my pillow and not my husband's or my kids or my parents. I've started trying to link medication usage, hair products, congestion... I've come up with nothing. I don't wear makeup to bed at all, no hair products. The only thing I can think of is some type of ear drainage. The photo I attached was last night while staying at my parents home, though the stains are often worse than this.

couldn't get the pic to post...

• Edited

Hello, has anyone figured out what this can be? Its not bed bug droppings. The stains appear only on my pillow, not even my blankets. Hair is not dyed or anything. Can someone please help, honestly starting to get freaked out.

• Posted

Hello, I found two weeks ago black stains on my sheet and pillow, exactly like the pictures posted on this thread. This morning when I woke up, I had the same. Last night I was sweating and hot in bed. This time it was on my t'shirt too. I know it's not bed bugs as it's just my side of the bed effected. The stains don't come out in the wash either. Anybody relate? Anybody figured out what it could be?

• Edited

The same things has been happening with kids. My oldest who is 10 yrs old sheets seem to stain the same color as yours but the 4 yr old is different and its weird.imageimageimage

• Edited

Mr Thomas

me too facing same problem since 2 weeks

I'm really scared what could it be

I recently one month ago changed my shampoo and conditioner. I'll again use old one and let me see the difference

again I'll be back on this forum

• Posted

Hi! The same thing has been happening to me since I moved into a new apartment. Did you ever find out why it was happening to you??

• Posted

I have read so many of these queries about lines and patches on pillow cases and have really searched and searched for a possible answer. The only reasonable one I have seen is that it is iodine in your sweat. It is reacting to anything starchy in the linen and as you move it will appear in blotches or lines. Maybe ask you GP for an iodine sweat test??? The chemical test for iodine is that it turns purply black when mixed with starch. Do some of you use starch in your washing or spray starch?

• Posted

I also have been perplexed by the stains. For a long time, I thought it was my eye mask that I wear when I sleep that was leaving the marks. Then, I thought it was hair dye bleeding.

Could it be a reaction to a negative element in your body? Like an allergic response? You eat or drink something before going to bed and, in allergic response, it excretes something via your scalp.

Could it be a result of chemical exposure? I ask this because I have only seen it in an apartment with a gas heater and cooking stove. Maybe the stove is leaking small amounts of gas?

I'm intrigued by the person who suggests taking a sweat test to identify the amount of chloride in your system. Sweat tests are used to identify cystic fibrosis, a lung disease. I first saw the marks on my pillow sheet about two months after recovering from covid, which caused damage to my lungs. Could the lungs be excreting something via drool that leaves the mark? Do you have asthma or a lung issue? Could that be a commonality among us? I believe the answer to the question of what's leaving the mark is identifying what we all have in common.

• Posted

Hello Everyone, has anyone figured this out? It's been happening to me! It only happens when my hair is damp or when I sweat.

• Posted

It is not bedbugs. the stains look nothing like bed bugs.

This has been happening to me for the last three weeks as I have been on a road trip. I am traveling with my husband. These marks only appear on my side of the bed, not my husband's. And only up around the head and shoulders area. They are very similar to yours only a little bigger/ darker. I am sure that it has something to do with what laundry detergent they are using because it does not happen at every hotel.

I really doubt a lot of hotels only have bedbugs on my side of the bed and only on the top 1/4th. Plus bed bug marks are reddish brown, not purplish black.

I do not wear makeup at all. no jewelry in the bed... not even my wedding ring. No moisturizers or creams. It's a mystery that has me very concerned.

• Posted

literally same thing! i changed my sheets and went to bed, woke up and saw it on my satin pillowcase and somew parts of my bed. like a streaks/watermark black. i put water to rub it off and it didnt come off. now its just fading by itself??? the marks are disappearing and i have NO idea. the ones on the bed itself has disappeared.

• Edited

hi, i am from france and this is happening to me too. all my pillows cases and now my pillows too have blue/purple/black stains and they don't go away after washing, i don't wear make up, i don't color my hair or anything. i use laundry detergent with no chimicals since forever, i don't know what it is and since it doesn't stop i start to worry.

• Posted

Hello Everyone, has anyone figured this out? It's been happening to me! It only happens when my hair is damp or when I sweat.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.