Help with AV pain please!

Posted , 13 users are following.

hi, I have been diagnosed with AV this week after weeks of pain and treatments for thrush cystitis and UTI. I have been prescribed vagifem which I have been taking for 3 days but the burning and discomfort is terrible! Especially when sitting.  I wondered if there was an external topical cream I could use that others have found helpful?! I have seen lots of suggestions on here but they don't look like they are available in the UK! Anyone help please?! smile 

2 likes, 86 replies

86 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I've finally succumbed to using Vagifem after an appointment with a gynacologist who reassured me that using it for 4 weeks won't pose any great risk to my health. As my mum had suffered from breast cancer I was loathe to use it, but I was getting so depressed with the awful symptoms of VA that I decided to go ahead and use the Vagifem.

I'm on day 10 of the initial 14 day dosage, I did seem to get slight relief a couple of days ago but today it's back to the usual burning and UTI type feeling.

I've read on above posts that it does take the full 4 week dosage before it has any effect, so I'll hold onto that.

• Posted

I'm sorry, I misstyped (and am having a flare of symptoms so am not thinking straight) and wrote dear Caroline in my response to you instead of dear Cool4Cats

Sorrrrrrrry

• Posted

Hi Cool4Cats,

How are you getting along with the vagifem?

• Posted

Hi KKay,

Things have improved greatly, I'm pleased to say. I'm almost at the end of the month long treatment and the awful burning and stinging has now gone.

I'm just hoping that it doesn't return when the treatment ends, but for now at least I'm free from irritation biggrin

Thanks for asking x

• Posted

That is really good news !

I encourage you to visit an online resource I found called menopause matters dot co dot uk; they have forums where women share experiences on all aspects of vaginal atrophy and vagifem use, among other things. On their homepage at the bottom you will find a pinned post from the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) - which is the gold standard in Britain for national healthcare guidelines. It is based on an analysis of all the current scientific knowledge regarding local and systemic hrt and I would urge you to read it carefully before deciding to stop Vagifem.

The systemic risks to your body from Vagifem are virtually nil; and the improvement you feel is because you are on it. It will not help the vaginal atrophy once you cesse using it and I'm afraid symptoms will indeed come right back, as they are caused by lack of hormones in the tissues of this area.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do, but please arm yourself with the right information. 😊😊😊

• Posted

I would not stop for anything. I know I miss a day and I'm right back on my way to torture again.I think Kay is right, stopping just makes you return to pain. This condition is dreadful

• Posted

Please persevere.  I had breast cancer three years ago and have been taking Vagifem for a year now.  My oncologist has told my GP several times that it is quite safe to take as only a tiny amount is absorbed and the weak strength doesn't affect the body.  My VA has come back after a horrible bout of bacterial vaginosis, followed by thrush, ALL from antibiotics!  Vagifem does take at least a month to work so hang in there. 

• Posted

Thanks cheryl25513, I decided to use it after all.

I'm at the very end of my month long treatment and all symptoms have gone, I just hope they don't come back once the treatment ends.

I'm so sorry your VA is back, what a shame.

• Posted

Thanks coolcats!  I have a good supply of Vagifem so will go back to the 2 week regimen which I am sure will do the trick.  I am very glad to hear your symptoms have gone, but I am not sure from your post whether you are going to continue?  Usually you have to take Vagifem twice a week after the initial course, indefinitely.  There are lots of other posts on this forum about the need to take a topical oestrogen on a permanent basis once you have been diagnosed with VA.
    • Posted

Hello ladies

Yes, once we have been diagnosed with Atrophic Vaginitis and are on Vagifem we need to stay on it.  I stopped and pain and discomfort started all over.  It appears that Vagifem or Yuvafem will be lifelong.  I am just so relieved that we have something that works!  Such a blessing!  I just hope the cost will go down.  Donna your insurance is great!  Hopefully ours will change.

have a nice day to all!

wendy

• Posted

Dear Caroline,

Best of luck with the Vagifem. As you've probably read here, there are plenty of women whose healthcare providers advise to take the vagifem more frequently than twice a week after the initial loading dose. Stay in touch and let the thread know how you are getting on.

😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.