Help with bartholin gland cyst surgery

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I have had a bartholin gland cyst for 2 weeks now. At its largest it was the size of a large grape. On Tuesday I had it drained from my naturopathic doctor who first numbed me with lidocaine and then inserted a needle to pull the pus out. The procedure hurt so much! I went back to my doctor who said she wouldn't numb me, and would make an incision in the cyst and physically drain it. I cancelled my appointment because the thought of going through that pain is freaking me out!

I was wondering if anyone had an experience where a drainage was done and they were on IV sedation? This doctor is at a community center and something just doesn't feel right.

Also, my cyst does not cause me any pain or discomfort and is softening up. Could I forego the surgery altogether or will it come back if I don't? Thank you!

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I had 5 such abcesses , 2 of which were drained at the hospital, the others burst by themselves.On the fifth occasion I had marsupulisation under general anaesthetic. It is possible to have them drained without pain relief, but only if it's literally a case of taking 'the head off'...I can't imagine having an actual incision without pain relief. Many people have a cyst and whilst they are aware it's there, it doesn't casue pain...these are probably best left alone. A abcess however means the cyst has become infected, so if antibiotics/warm sitz baths don't help it drain, it has the potential to swell quite impressively and cause significant discomfort! (speaking from experience). Based on what you've said, I would leave it for now and see what happens. For some lucky people, they never get any more problems, however, they can return and personally,if this happens,  I would recommend having the marsupulisation under general anaesthetic. I had so many recurrent infections, my gland eventually self-destructed and the infection went deeper and deeper.All the best x
  • Posted

Hi Erica,

Yes first time i got my cyst drained the dr did numb me and made a incision and physically pushed out the puss out but since the size of my cyst was about size of golf ball she was unable to push out all of so it did come back week later. But that pain is not bad as pain of the abcess. So anything that would get rid of the cyst works for me.

• Posted

Hi Ericashel88

I went to my dr last night ..

She said that it shouldn't be causing me any pain and is not infected

She left it up to me if I want to do the Marpulazation procedure

If I were you I would leave it alone if it's not bothering you

My dr advised me that I would be put into a light sleep but kind of cohearant will not feel a thing

Mine is the size of a small grape

I will see what I should do

Keep I touch

Renee1973

• Posted

Erica, dont put yourself through the pain of multiple procedures. Its not worth it. I had my cyst drained the first time and I wish I would have skipped that pointless procedure because weeks later the cyst came right back as big as a golf ball this time. This past november, i had the gland removed and it was the best thing I could have done. I healed perfectly and there is no sign of that pesky thing coming back. I was nevous to do the removal because Im only 26 and of course, i was worried that my sex- life would suffer. WRONG. Its better than ever. The first 2 times were uncomfortable and i was sore at the sight of my incision, but not at all painful. Wish I would have done this years earlier.
    • Posted

Did you get both glands removed or just one that kept getting big? I already got it drained 3 time and my doctor told me I should do Marsupialization so every time my cyst comes back it would drain out by it self. I'm not sure if I should remove the gland or get Marsupialization done.
    • Posted

I only the one that kept getting big removed. When i had the discussion with my obgyn about my options, we talked about the marspialization as the first choice(because of my age) and the fact the i only had it drained once. It seems like people try to convince you to try all these different procedures before opting for the gland removal, without considering how many painful procedures the patient will have, the uncomfortable recovery time, the time off from work, and the over-all stress. I just didnt want to have another procedure, knowing that there's a good chance that it would come back. Having the gland removed entirely lessened the chances of complication period. I was listening to all the after- care directions and equipment like catheters and ballons and it just made my spin with fear of doing something wrong or something falling out or getting stuck, or getting infections. I didnt have to worry about any of that with the gland removal, and it put me at ease.
    • Posted

Did you have any problems with your surgery? Any problems since? I'm in a similar situation, I'm 28 and worry about painful intercourse.

• Posted

It's still tender at times but at times it can be sore. Sex wise it's not painful persay, it's tight n does get sore the first couple times, I suggest a good lube! But after a few times even with the scar tissue it's not as bad as your thinking. Take it easy and slow. We just now started back to a normal session for us, although the slowness helped with us becoming closer! Good luck message me anytime!

• Posted

Hi everyone just wanted to update you all on the situation. I've been taking the probiotics and the herbal tincture that my homeopathic doctor prescribed to me and it shrunk my Bartholin cyst. After the drainage there was still some fluid in the capsule but it started to slowly shrink after I began taking my probiotics. It all makes sense. I had been prone to uti's when I was in college because I was always extremely dehydrated (no water allowed in clinic) and I did not know at the time that we ladies should always urinate after sex to flush out any bacteria. I had taken antibiotics countless of times and my natural flora was off in my digestive tract and my vagina. I am taking a high dose of probiotics and it is definitely helping me. I've only had sex twice since this cyst business first occurred and it is not the same, not because of the cyst but because of my own fears. I'm scared if we do something wrong I'll get it back. We are using a natural lubricant from astroglide because I'm scared to use saliva again. It actually isn't sticky at all! If I ever get this again, which I'm praying I won't, I am going to get the gland removed. I don't want to risk getting this back during pregnancy or when I'm older. I'm 27 and I appreciate everyone's comments because it feels good knowing we are all in the same boat! Good luck to everyone
    • Posted

Hi Erica

I had the marsuplazation procedure. It's almost two weeks. I plan on using a lubricant as well just to be on safe side . I have a follow up dr appt on Monday and I will see what she suggests

Just wanted to update

Renee1973

• Posted

Aww glad to hear you're relieved of your pain Renee! How was the procedure? And what kind of anesthesia were you under?
    • Posted

Hi Erica

I was u under heavily sedation and propoval and something to relieve my anxiety...

I feel so much better dr said all looks great there is still a stitch there so she wants to see me back within the two weeks she said no sex till they are totally gone

Renee

• Posted

Oh wow, so did they remove the entire gland or just drain the cyst?

I haven't had sex regularly because my mind keeps going back to the pain I felt during this whole ordeal. I'm so scared!

• Posted

Hi Erica

I had surgery the marsuplazation the dr basically sliced open the cyst stitched it to the gland wall and made a new passage way for the gland to drain

I'm feeling well now was uncomfortable for the first week and a half

Dr advised me to not have sex yet she wants to see me back next week because I still have a stitch

Renee1973

• Posted

Wow, the power of the medical field. I'm glad to hear you're doing better Renee! All the best for your future appointments

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.