Help with bartholin gland cyst surgery

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I have had a bartholin gland cyst for 2 weeks now. At its largest it was the size of a large grape. On Tuesday I had it drained from my naturopathic doctor who first numbed me with lidocaine and then inserted a needle to pull the pus out. The procedure hurt so much! I went back to my doctor who said she wouldn't numb me, and would make an incision in the cyst and physically drain it. I cancelled my appointment because the thought of going through that pain is freaking me out!

I was wondering if anyone had an experience where a drainage was done and they were on IV sedation? This doctor is at a community center and something just doesn't feel right.

Also, my cyst does not cause me any pain or discomfort and is softening up. Could I forego the surgery altogether or will it come back if I don't? Thank you!

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I just had a the whole gland removed yesterday after waking up Sunday to a grapefruit sized lump fire red and extremely painful. Went to express care and they wouldn't even touch it saying it was that bad so went to see my obgyn and she lanced it Monday with out putting a word cath in but had me go back on Tuesday to meet with a surgeon who wouldn't even attempt it in office, so I ended up going In for emergency removal yesterday the 27. The pain is intense right now but ice packs and sits baths are helping along with pain meds they gave. The doctor was very upfront with me telling me I wouldn't be pain free for about 4-6 weeks but after 2 weeks should be easing up a little everyday. I had numerous cyst in this location since I was about 16 and the pain from recovering the gland removal is still not as bad as an infected cyst. If I ever have another problem on the other side I would totally remove that gland as well! The pain I'm in Is temporary and once healed very small scar and piece of mind well worth it! Just make sure your doctor is someone you trust and isn't going to lie to you and say oh it's only sore a day or2. It will be painful but I also know 3 other people personally who had it completely removed and after healing time have felt great and have not had any recurrence. Good luck and hope you heal quickly! I know the pain so I feel for you.
    • Posted

Hi Aubree, thank you so much for sharing. What kind of anesthesia were you give for the lancing on Monday? My obgyn was going to do it without anesthesia and I freaked out and didn't do it. I haven't had any reoccurrence since and the herbal tincture and probiotics seem to work. Did the doctor say your cyst could come back? What are the precautions they told you regarding sexual activity? Thanks in advance!
    • Posted

He said about 4-6 for healing, sex can be whenever I don't have pain anymore but to safe he thinks it should be the 4-6. Monday she used a numbing gel and then shots all round to numb the area. It doesn't always numb depending on the infection, so she went as deep as she could but then I started to feel every pinch so she stopped and had me go to the surgeon. He said since he took my whole gland out and didn't make a new tube for I have 3% chance of it coming back on the left side. I've never had problem with the right so he said I should fine and still able to self lubricate during arousal! Good luck hope you start to heal soon because it's the worst paining he world. Mine hurt so bad that the bruising and soreness and the burning feeling from the stitches isn't nearly as bad. It also helps that I'm on Percocet every 4 hours. But trust me one day after and even with surgical pain I'd do it again in a heartbeat as its not as intense of pain as the cyst itself!
    • Posted

I forgot to tell you that the home treatments will work a while but they stop after a while and makes it worse in the long run according to my doctors. But it's crazy hey weren't going to numb you first I couldn't imagine and when I started to feel the pain while she was doing it she stopped
    • Posted

Yeah if it ever occurs again I'm going to get it surgically removed. I remember it took me 10 minutes to get from the couch to the bathroom. I was going through a uti, constipation, and the bartholin's gland cyst all at the same time. I will go straight to an actual hospital next time it happens as I don't want to go through the pain again! Thank you for sharing, it really helps to know what other girls are going through

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.