Help with best time to take citalopram as need to work.

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi I have been taking citalopram for 12 days now and I think the side effects have passed apart from feeling tired all day I take 20 mg just before I goto sleep which is normally about 11 pm I sleep ok maybe wake up about 3 am but soon drop off again the problem comes at 6.30am I am awake but can't get out if bed as I feel anxious and tired . I have to get back to work next week and I am worried I will not be able to . Does anyone have a solution to a better time to take the pill ? I was reading in the morning makes you very tired during the day so does anyone take it about 7 pm and if so how does that work out for you in the morning ?

Thanks in advance shane

3 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

HI, I take it around 8am to 9am always after breakfast & have no problem !
  • Posted

Hi Jan

Have you ever taken it before bed and if so how was that ? Also how are you at getting up in the mornings as I struggle like mad I need to be up at 6.30 and some days I can't move until 9.00 . What mg do you take as some people say taking in the mornings makes them tired all day ?

Thanks shane

• Posted

Every person reacts different to the same meds..you should try different ways..i drink 20mg in morning instead of 40mg and dink the other 20 at lunchtime..you can try tripiline 25mg or 50 mg at nite will make you sleep good nut gives drie mouth all day..start with 25mg tripiline 1 x bedtime...hope this helps!!

Regards

Jeremy

• Posted

Hi, Shane, Have never taken it at night, with the Fybromyalgia & Polymyalgia l struggle to get out of bed, I count myself down from 10 & when I get to 1 I get out of bed, then sit for a little bit then basically force my self to have a bowl of cereal so I can take all my meds, as I don't like taken them on an empty tum, I take 20mg. I don't know because I take it with food that it doe'snt make me tired, I don't know, if it makes you that tired why don't you reduced it to 10mg in the morning & 10mg at night then at least you system is get 20mg, check with your G.P first though to see what they say.Hope this helps you!
  • Posted

I experimented with the times and read everyone else saying it works better at night, so I tried that, as taking it during the daytime made me unable to concentrate and feeling sleepy. Night time before bed is perfect for me. It not only helps me sleep, keeps me asleep, but also the side effects are much milder and I usually have more energy.
    • Posted

Yes i was wondering the same, just got them morning or night?  pharmacy said take in morning but can make you drowsy so you might want to take at night but then said you take it in the morning because it can keep you awake?  makes no sense.
    • Posted

Debends how strong you take in morning and are you active or doing office work..drop dow to 20mg in morning if you are on 40..or spilt 1 morning 1 lunc or bedtime!!
  • Posted

Hi, i'm on my forth week and got to work each day too, so know what you mean.  I tend to take at night just before bed, but am trying to keep bedtime the same time each night so in a consistent routine and up at same time  each morning and follow the get up pattern. Knowing that i have to be up for work helps during week days, at weekends when have nothing to do can sleep all day happily still. 

I'm not a great sleeper still

• Posted

Hi, I'm feeling pretty panicky at the minute. I've been on 20mg for five weeks now and the panic attacks are getting more frequent. I've been back to the Doctor and she tells me to just continue as I am. Has this happened to anyone else. I'm running on adrenalin at the minute and can't stop my heart from pounding to get some rest. Any replies would be greatly appreciated even just to reassure me I'm not going mad!
    • Posted

Wow this has been a while since i started this thread..

Anyway i have been on citalopram for over a year, i now take mine in the morning before work it does not make me tired but a few times i have forgot and wow does it make me feel ill...

Lifechanging thats how i felt my legs were on the go all day you have to keep with it..

take  care

• Posted

Hello,

I have just picked these up from the Pharmacy today, I was on Sertraline but they didn't agree with me. 

I was wondering if, like sertraline, you can have a drink with these tablets ? I mean like 1 - 2 beers on a weekend or a glass of wine with a meal, not getting drunk.

Any advice is appriciated 

• Posted

You might want to ask your doc for Diazepam, (2mg I think, they are tiny) I used to have really bad panic attacks and thought I was having a heart attack (to the point I called an ambulance on 3 occasions). They got rid of them pretty quickly, you can't stay on them very long though as they are addictive.
    • Posted

Hi there. If the panic attacks are getting worse, I would maybe seek another opinion. Cetalipram doesn't work for everyone. By this time, they should be helping a bit. Maybe it's your circumstances that are causing the panic attacks or maybe you need something else just to get you by this period. The doctor should be able to assess your condition and give you something to help with these attacks. Praying for you
    • Posted

Hey you are not going mad :-)

But i would try another dokter that listens..these 5 min apointments is crap and costs thousands..mine has changed me from this to that and things got worse..i have now aranged that i will not pay until the right meds work for me..im on citalopram morning at 6.00 and at 13.00 20mg each but with or without sleeping stuff..adco alzam 1mg and and Dormanoct 2mg a wake up 2 to 3 hours an write you this message at 01.40 South African time...Citalopram works for me but please dont stop searching for better docter or let him understand you will phone in and he must change your meds at no cost to you...or see a different 1...monday is my 5 or 6 apointment...he better sort me out cause this cost money and he must do his job properly!!!!!!!

Remember there are many many other meds you can try also..i made a list and sat down wih him..asking whats this and this and he actually saw a problem between what he gave and what he should have givin..

Hang in there my friend..dont stop fighting..your the customer!!

GOOD LUCK

• Posted

You have to test it with friends so they can look out for you and suddden changes..moodswings and so on..but better to skip it..1 glass of wine with dinner and not driving should be ok..butt never Allone :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.