Help with best time to take citalopram as need to work.

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi I have been taking citalopram for 12 days now and I think the side effects have passed apart from feeling tired all day I take 20 mg just before I goto sleep which is normally about 11 pm I sleep ok maybe wake up about 3 am but soon drop off again the problem comes at 6.30am I am awake but can't get out if bed as I feel anxious and tired . I have to get back to work next week and I am worried I will not be able to . Does anyone have a solution to a better time to take the pill ? I was reading in the morning makes you very tired during the day so does anyone take it about 7 pm and if so how does that work out for you in the morning ?

Thanks in advance shane

3 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Shane, Ive always taken in the morning but was not sleeping i was on 20 doc put me up to 40 with other meds i take im kind of really tired come 2pm,  I find all these meds are a round about of god no's what.  Anti depressants should not give you any withdrawals when you come down or off because they are not addictive, every doc has told me this.  But its also hard to no if they work, right so as i read here and on other posts a lot of people are having problems why not just give a course of valium or clonazempan which instantly fixes the prob, onlly stay on for rec period.  I just dont see the point for the people its not working for. for those who it is working for Great to see.

• Posted

Must play with your meds and split them up if you must but slowly..dose by dose from half of what the give you over 2 weeks to the normal dose..allso break up in morning and afternoon or nite instead of all in morning..works bettrr for me..more focesed and conttolled by me ;-)
  • Posted

Hi I'm currently on the lowest side of citalopram been on them for 2 weeks. Before I took them I was sleeping/feeling sleepy all the time however, I take mine at night and now can't sleep lol! I toss and turn and think about wierd things like how to do percentage in decimals etc or I'm too hot then I just can't keep still. After reading this I think it's time to try taking it in the day time.
    • Posted

Try citallopram 25mg at night..makes you sleep like baby..can go to 25 mg with your citalpram!!
    • Posted

Did you swop to day time if so how did u get on as I take mine at 9pm and I was fine but until recently I'm getting to be real hot and not sleeping very well

• Posted

Hi. Out of interest did you hit a real low point after 2-3 weeks? I feel like I've hit an all time low and it's quite scarey. Feel like my brain is all over the place.Thanks.
    • Posted

I've been taking it for a few years and it usually helps me, rather than hurting me, but everyone is different. I've never personally had a bad low while taking citalopram but your feelings could be related to the side effects as well. for example; I don't know about anyone here, but I have a HUGE drop in sex drive when taking it. If you have a partner, a loss in interest could cause strain on a relationship, and therefore, a drop in your morale.

As for me, doctors have told me that drowsiness isn't a side effect of citalopram so finding this thread is a relief! I'm not crazy! For me, sleeping less than 10 hours on a regular basis is really hard. I've started a job that has me up at 5:30am when I often don't get to bed until 12 or 1 because of my other job. So now, every Friday night I end up sleeping 14-16 hours.

• Posted

In 2 weeks you should see difference - bad or worse..to high or 2 low dose..maybee wrong meds for you.. what are you drinking now?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.