Help with enough fiber

Posted , 7 users are following.

I dont care if I have to eat the same thing everyday but how do you all get 30 g every da of fiber?? I bought musinex that has 2 g, banana/ oatmeal 5g. Whole grain toast with half avacado and pears is 7g and might get another 5g at supper is only 19g. Where do you find another 10 in snacks?

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I just use prune juice (works great) if I didn't go good for a few days I drink 8 ounces other wise 4 ounces I get the organic prune juice, not only does it help with bowels BUT it has so many other health benefits AND for protein I eat EVERYDAY greek yogurt (Fage) with live and active cultures and 23 gram of protein I have one before bed and one in the morning the one in the morning I add mashed sweet potatoes and carrots (can buy in frozen department on Walmart. the one I eat at night I add raw honey. Then ALL the time my meals are cooked chicken veggie soup with lots of mixed veggies in it including cut up frozsen sweet potatoes. I buy my salmon and tuna from a doctor online and my organic extra virgin cold press olive oil. My drinks consist of 100% pure fresh pressed blueberry juice , unsweeten tea, water , OJ, grape juice , Some days i'll eat in place of my soup that I cook REAL often is mash potatoes with green beans. For desserts I'll have a Hershey's chocolate pudding cup and or Sour dough bread with organic nut butter (smooth) boiled eggs, occasionally cream of wheat. Ice cream for a treat. Usally all I eat on a regular bases .

I always keep pedialyte and prune juice on hand. I drink lots of water and drink one to two cups of coffee I shouldn't but I put whole milk in my coffee vs creamer.

• Posted

I eat 1 bowl of cream of wheat every morning. It has 11 grams of fiber, chock full of iron too. I'm almost 2 years post op surgery for my chronic acute diverticulitis. The cream of wheat also is easy on the colon and stomach. I might eat a "regular " breakfast once or twice a week, easy on the breakfast meats though and hashbrowns. It's basically finding a diet plan that works for you. Remember also, everyone is different and has different reactions to foods.

• Posted

It just register to me Glenda, you had the surgery and you don't have to worry anymore about diverticulitis , I haven't had the surgery no one has mentioned it. You said two years ago can you tell me about it I must of missed that post.

• Posted

Lol...yes I had it 2 years ago this coming May. However, the surgery doesn't eliminate the disease, only the damage done to the colon. I have chronic acute diverticulitis, so I will always have to be careful about what I eat and how much. Because my colon looked like it had gone through a meat grinder, sepsis had set in and infected all my organs from my stomach down. The surgeon told me it was a mere 3" from reaching my heart. Most people, including myself, are/were under the impression that once you have surgery you're disease free which isn't true. I was "attack free" until last June, just had another one this week but nothing like the intensity of past attacks. I'm going to outpatient surgery this coming Monday to begin a series of laser surgery which will break up the deep scar tissue which has attached to muscles and organs. Then I should be good. Minor pain compared to the diverticulitis.

• Posted

How do you get 11 gram of fiber out of cream of wheat mine only has 1 gram of fiber what kind of cream of wheat do you eat!

• Posted

lol Glenda! I just thought you had a special kind that I wasn't aware of !

Do people on this list still eat beans? AFTER my first very BAD infection I haven't ate a bean since, I thought we couldn't because the bean skin will get in pocket! I LOVE beans but stopped them over a year ago except for green beans. What beans do you all eat and is it okay? Please give me feed back on this. My favorite beans are large butter beans and black beans and pinto....

• Posted

Ive only eaten green beans because told no beans. Id love to do refried beans but I think it causes gas.

• Posted

Before surgery , absolutely NO beans, tomatoes, anything with seeds, gassy foods, stuck to mostly boiled,broiled, baked, canned vegetables (mostly green beans, carrots, squash), mashed potatoes (no skins), white meat, stay away from red meat too hard to digest.

• Posted

I'd quite like to know who said no beans, or red meat (in moderate amounts)? I have a GI doc in the UK and the States, both have said eat healthy, but there aren't any rules. I was told to keep red meat to only a couple times a month.

• Posted

I haven't eaten red meats in like almost two years and even before that I never ate it very often! I haven't eaten pork in like 20 years! I don't do pork...

• Posted

Both my doctor and surgeon. My doctor gave me a list of foods I could eat from the beginning. He also said the medical community is still learning about diverticulitis. I've said MANY times, everyone is different and reacts differently to the foods, etc. My case was extreme as I also had sepsis due to a torn, deeply scarred colon.

• Posted

crosado, you really need to do more research. your 'skin get in the pocket' is a myth and doctors have been apologizing for years and don't know how that started. you can eat any bean you want if THAT was the reason you weren't . study after study after study and not one report of any food in a pocket much less a bean skin. its all feces stuck in the pocket. hence possible infection...... EAT MORE BEANS- MORE FIBER TO KEEP IT MOVING OUT! lololol

• Posted

That's EXACTLY what both my docs in the Uzk & the States told me. Limit the red meat to only a couple times a month and eat loads of fiber. I was specifically told the no tomatoes and beans is a total MYTH. That said, do what's right for you.👌🏻.

• Posted

Vic_07103. Both my doctor, gi and a nutritionist told me no skins, no seeds and never told me that it was fecal matter getting in pockets. Whats wrong with our medical people?! That makes total sense. Ive asked for the best foods for fiber but soft enough to calm colon and soft poop but get we cant do that. Its a trial by error. Ive told them trail and error for us having this problem takes months from our lives recovering. Thank you for your info. Do you have any articles with this stated ,I can read and print off for my medical team that obviously dont have the right knowledge to tell their patients. Example. After my colonoscopy in January a pocket had a piece of poop in a pocket and she said thats normal, its the seeds and skins that get inside that cause infections!

• Posted

My dos said the seeds & skins thing is purely a myth. I urge you to call any GI doc at Mayo or Northwestern(just examples). All I know is the GI surgeon specifically told me there aren't any rules except for 1 ) Get more fiber, 2 ) Exercise, 3.) Limit red meat to only a couple times a moth, 4.) Drink loads of H2O. For those of you with very complicated issues things might be very different. I'm 2.5 weeks out of hospital for my 1st microperforation attack. I've introduced fiber and chicken, fish, white pasta to my diet along with cooked spinach, broccoli, and red leaf lettuce. All good so far. I do get occasional cramping and some slight pain. But, I was told it'll take a month at least for the inflammation to subside. *As I stated previously I won't do this again...if my doc tells me he thinks this will happen again zill opt for the resection. I cannot imagine dealing with this longterm.

• Posted

OH MY GOSH~ I hope this is true BEcause my doc and the pharmacy said that the seeds ,nuts and skins get caught in pocket and get infected and I quit eating them!

I take it you all eat them beans then?

• Posted

Thats exactly what I was told too Grammato

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.