Help with low ferretin

Posted , 4 users are following.

i have been taking ferrous fumerate 305mg and folic acid 5mg daily for the last 3 months

i had low ferretin and folate but normal hb levels

the meds were great all symptoms went.

I finished the meds only 3 days ago. now all symptoms have returned. Breathlessness dizziness tiredness anxiety etc.

I have bought some more iron tablets otc.

I want to see if it goes again. Has anyone else had this when they finished the meds

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Its best that after you finish a course of iron you see your doctor to run a blood panel. Its possible that you never increased your levels enough but its also possible that these symptoms whilst similar have a different cause. Too much iron can also be a problem too.

• Posted

One of my loved ones has a similar problem. She has really low ( 7, I think ) ferritin levels, but her hemoglobin is fine. She's going to get a gastric and upper intestine endoscopy as well as a colonoscopy as her doctor wants to rule out internal bleeding as the cause of the low ferritin level.

Non of my loved ones doctors have really made any kind of diagnosis or even administered treatment -- she's not taking the medications that you're taking, for example.

Here is the link to my post.

Regards,

kbusby c/o jdb2

• Posted

Hi

When i had aneamia i also struggled with the symtoms. i hated taking medicines cause it made me felt sick and constipated so changed my diet and added more iron rich foods which made such a difference , i was able to get tips and ideas from a book called Overcoming Aneamia:My experience from amazon

i wish you good health

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.