Help with reducing oxycodone dosage

Posted , 13 users are following.

My husband was told at a pain management appointment that the level of oxycodone that he was taking was high and that he was a long term health risk.  How can he cut down when he has severe back pain?

0 likes, 67 replies

67 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Natashs,

This is the narcotics speaking, not your sober husband.

When someone is hooked on drugs, they know it. And they will do and say a lot to kerp obtaining the drugs. Thid does not mean that they do not have pain...the body objects when you begin to remove narcotics.

All of us are here for you. We are here to support you. Not only is this hard on your husband, it is hard on you.

You know that coming off of the narcotics is in the best interest of your husband. Do not allow the drugs to speak through your husband.

big warm hug

• Posted

I have spoken to him before about the amount he is taking and he always says " I am in pain, what am I meant to do?"  I try to explain that the pain he is feeling is a craving for more drugs but he wont listen.  I know he is in contstant back pain but the drugs are creating a pain cycle of pain/drugs/pain/drugs etc.   I dont know how to help him and need medical advice and support.  I know it will be a struggle as he is going to fight against reducing his dosage.

• Posted

Perhaps you can hace a private conversation with the person prescribing the narcotics. Also tou might seek out a narcotics support group.
    • Posted

Spot on, Natasha,

He told you the absolute truth. The drugs make him tell you how bad his pain is, but why is he not even trying to get off them? becaus ehe likes the feeling these drugs give him.

If I were you, I;d stop suppoorting him once you've found out that I'm right. Addicts are the best liars on thios planet and even top Donald, who should work at McDonald.

Find a good doctor who's tapering him down on methadone. But make sure tha the's not going to be on that s***e for longer, the addiction is even worse and much harder to stop. Only taperingoff, that's all, no getting high for him anymore.

But he needs to understand this and tyou should tell him that you won;t help himanymore if he's not doing something. ASddixcts love to lie and stretch all in a way that they get their stuff until you are burned out.

Don;t let the lies come to your brain, there are many other medications if his back pain is reaaly so severe which I doubt.

• Posted

The drugs are talking to you, please don;t forget that. I was over 20 years on heroin and then on codeine and methadone, so I think i know what I'm talking about.

I';d have lied to you as well when I needed something. But these times are over now. Some people get it, some will never get it.

Do you want to live with a drug addict, or help him to be a normal guy?

• Posted

A little more reassurance now, hospital got the dosage levels wrong, thought it was higher than he really is so panic over for now.  He is back on the radar for an alternative solution to his back pain with the plan to reduce the drugs over time.  Can breath a sigh of relief for a while now.
    • Posted

I didn't think it was alot. It's probably what they start a patient on & monitor going forward.

At least you're no longer panicking Natasha, im so pleased for you. You will be able to have a good Christmas now the panicking is over.

The last thing I would say though is regarding opiates / opioids, your body soon builds up a tolerance to them so, you have to take more & more to get the same relief & this is when you need to be careful. So please, even though you can now relax, just keep an eye on the dosage levels as they may start to increase over time

Good luck & god bless

Ritchie

• Posted

Due to see the GP in a couple of weeks to seek advice  and support as we need it.  Although my husband is worried about the damage that the drugs are doing to his body, he isnt ready to cut down due to his pain so the vicious circle continues.  He is depressed and says he wants to be more sociable and yet one of the side effects of oxycodone is withdrawal from social events, again a vicious circle!  Will update soon.
    • Posted

Hi Natasha.

Hope you're doing ok & you all had a great Christmas.

Everything your husband is saying will be the Oxy talking. When you say "he's worried about what it's doing to him but he isn't ready to cut down yet" any person thinking rationally would just say "screw the Oxy, it's damaging my body so I'm quitting altogether" but the Oxy is so strong & has such a strong grip on him mentally & physically he is powerless to do anything without the professional help you are going to be getting. Purdue Pharma that manufacture Oxycodone & Oxycontin haven't had to pay out $625million in lawsuits to certain US states for nothing!

Depression due to the ups & downs is all part of the addiction!!

Please stay strong & just drop me a message on here if you need to chat. I was addicted to this drug from hell for 7yrs remember.

Let us know how you get on at Dr's please.

Good luck x

Richie

• Posted

Thank you for your suport and advice, it is invaluable and so useful to hear from someone that has been through this addiction.
    • Posted

Hi Ritchie 2168 I have been reading your  battles with OxyContin and I'm wondering if you could give me some advice, I currently take 180mg slow release twice a day with a whole heap of other stuff I also used to have 50mg ketamine but have stopped this one by myself, before the OxyContin I was taking slow release MST 860mg per day, my pain consultant now wants to to start me on  sufentanil not sure what dosage yet, any thoughts

• Posted

Hi

I'm very sorry I didn't reply to your post!

Please see my earlier post as to why.

I hope you're in a better place Now, if not please message me again & I will do all I can to help you

All the best

Ritchie xx

• Posted

Hi Natasha.

I'm sorry I haven't been around for a while. Please see my earlier post as to why.

I really hope you & your husband are in a much better place now. If not please let me know & I promise I will do what I can to help.

All the best

Ritchie xx

• Posted

Hi Ritchie,

I wpuld like to say that things have improved but my husband has now increased his oxy. A packet of fiftyxsix used to last a month and now it is two weeks. I found out in january that he was having an affair with someone he met in london. He is also very depressed and acting completely out of character. He seems more dependant on the drug than ever and is totally self absorbed. He has a hospital appt tomorrow and i am tempted to leave him therr unless they promise to help him and reduce his oxycontin tablets. Sorry i cant report a happier outlook. How are you?

• Posted

Oh Christ Natasha.

I'm so very very sorry to hear this Sweetheart, I really am.

I'm truly gutted for you. Again, bare in mind I was taking 2 packs of 56 120mg & 2packs of 56 80mg per month. So, 4 x 56 per month plus some quite often.

Please don't worry about me!! Sounds like you have more than enough on your plate Natasha. I wish I could do more to help you. This affair he is having, is it serious?

Sorry to ask this but it maybe something he is doing on purpous just to prove to himself that he still has something to value himself as he feels so low, if that makes sense??

I'm not sticking up for him by any means because any man that does that to someone like you that's stood by him through everything is a total P#ick.

Sorry but you've stood by him through all this & this is how he repays you!!!

I'm so sorry Natasha, you do deserve so much more & you have really tried to help him.

I don't know what else to say sweetheart, other than you know where I am if you need to scream at someone.

Loads a love to you!!

Ritchie xx

• Posted

Hi Natasha.

I don't know what time the hospital appointment was/Is today but, I really do hope it goes/went well???

Please let me know how you got on.

I really do hope it went well for you both??

All the very very best

Ritchie xxx

• Posted

Hospital appt went okay, still no funding for operation and told to cut down on drugs which is easier said than done. They have offered to support him but i feel that the hospital will have to be proactive as husband wont ask for help.
    • Posted

Thank you.

I understand why he did it, he felt normal talking to a stranger who didnt know about his pain and his work and life struggles etc and it made him feel happy.

To be that said that his family dodny make him happy which is a big onsult.

His behavipur was however unacceptable, if he was that umhappy then he shpuld have talked to me about it. He says the affair is over amd as he hasnt been to london since, i have to believe him. Of course he could still be in contact via mobile but i cant think about that.

I have tried so hard to be supportive and understanding and truly hurt by his actions. I am taking each day as it comes and hope that he can reduce his srugs and become the man I married again.

• Posted

Hi Ritchie,

Can i ask whether when you were taking large doses, did your personality change? My husband is so self absorbed and cannot see things from my point of view at all and is often cruel in his comments towards me. Somedays i want i want to pack my bags amd leave him to his drugs and depression, after all i need a life too! Hope you are ok. From Natasha

• Posted

Hi Natasha.

I was only wondering how you were doing yesterday. How strange!!!!

It did change my personality but only in the sense that I didn't wanna go out or do anything.

I used to be the life & soul of the party, not that I went out partying 24/7 just that, when I did go out, everyone around me had a great time etc, (if that makes sense???)

I take it from you getting in touch that things are no better??

I really do sincerely hope they are, as you really do deserve so much more than what you were going through when we last spoke!!

Anything at all that you feel that you need to ask me regarding Oxycontin / Oxycodone addiction please just ask away. I promise you I will answer you with 110% Honesty, not the rubbish that people get fobbed off with by big Pharma!!!!!!

Take care Sweetheart.

Ritchie xx

• Posted

Thanks for replying. My husband just seems like a different person in the last eight months or so. He is just so selfish and sometimes very critical of me over mundane things like cleaning etc. He wont discuss anything between us regarding our marriage, just says that i keep bringing it up and to talk about things makes him stressful and in more pain. How can i make any decisions about a future with or without him when we cant talk honestly with each other? It comes down to him wanting to reduce the drugs and until he gets to that point then no one can help him.
    • Posted

I know exactly what you're saying Natasha & I really do feel your pain. I just wish I could talk to your husband as someone who has been there & been through what he is now going through & you also!!!

If you would like to private message me so we can talk privately so I can give you my email address so I can hopefully talk to your husband, as someone who has been where he is right now, and try to talk to both of you to save what you have together, as I think it's obviously really worth fighting for, as you do too Natasha, obviously, as if you didn't, you wouldn't be here right now!!!!!!!

Please message me privately, so I can talk to the both of you to try to help you through this.

I'm not claiming to be an expert. As I'm far from an expert!!!

What I am claiming to be is someone who's been there & done it & come out the other end, & someone who Cares!!!

I want to help people in a similar position to what I was in & that means both you Natasha, & your husband!!!

Take care please

Ritchie xxxx

• Posted

Sorry to have not been in touch, i use patient access on my phone so need to log onto my computer to send private messages and i cant remember the log in! I dont think it will help at this time for you to speak to my husband as he does not think he can reduce his drugs without increasing his pain amd until he is willing to try then he wont listen. Thank you again for your advice and support.
    • Posted

You're very welcome natasha.

I'm here if you need anything.

Take care

Ritchie xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.