Help Worsening depression and suicidal thoughts

Posted , 6 users are following.

I started 10 mg of celexa on november 17th I woke up this morning with suicidal thoughts and deoression. I was put on it for generalized anxiety disorder, ptsd and ocd (pure O). I only get bad anxiety when something traumatic happens in my life and it takes me a couple months to get back to myself well i decided to try medication this time around i feel it is making me worse. I need to get off this medication. Any help please i have never felt like this before and scared to death as i have 3 xhildren to care for ..

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sasha

You have not given the medication time to work and the dose is quite low. I do not know your concerns and you are explaining you suffer from PTSD and Anxiety with OCD.

If you want to stop taking the medication, sometimes and in general you  should talk to the Doctor who prescribed the drug as He will be watching how you are getting on.

Make that appointment

BOB

• Posted

I just seen the doc a few days ago and he increased it to 20mg i had increased anxiety that my xanax couldnt even help. I called the pharmacy after taking it a couple days at 20mg letting them know my increase in anxiety pharmacy said it is too high. I am very sensitive to medication but ever since i started the celexa i have no energy, spacey feeling, anxiety still there, wake up every morning feeling worse by the day. I have a job im trying to keep but dont have energy to make it through the day. I take .5mg of xanax 2x daily to help with the anxiety and spacey feeling but i have nonenergy as i said. I have never felt this bad before.
    • Posted

If you take your medication in the morning try transfering the time to half an hour before bed, you may find you will sleep better and be more refreshed when you get up. If you are taking it at night try taking them in the morning.

You can try taking 10mg in the morning and one before bed that could be a further way to take you medication.

10mg of the drug is a small dose and 20mg is a general dose, it can also depend on how old you are, So if you are a pensioner the 10mg may be sufficient, the same applies to the young

These medications take time to work so you will need to be patient and give them time, four weeks can be expected in some cases and after that hopefully you should settle

BOB

• Posted

Hi Sasha. I agree with Bob. You have just upped to 20 and when I did the same, I got a whole lot worse until I started to feel better. I'm on about 6 weeks, 4 weeks on the increased dose. I had a great 2 weeks until this weekend when I got my period, which seemed to trigger the anxiety again. Am feeling better today so am putting it down to the dreaded monthlies.  

I would try and give it more time. It's damn hard I know. I have diazepam for emergencies which work well. Try also looking at the 'anyone not had side effects on citilopram' forum on here, it was a life saver for me.  

Hang in there for a while longer, it can take people weeks to feel better. I know you do not want to hear that as I didn't either but it's like a broken leg, it doesn't fix itself overnight, unfortunately.

We are all here if you need us x

• Posted

Bob,

I take my medicine at night and feelnterribke upon wakening the 17th of this month will be 2 months i have been on this medication. Why is it creating new symptoms of suicidal thoughts which is not me ? Yes my dose was increased but the pharmacist said it shouldnt be causing more anxiety so he told me to just take the 10mg over the weekend and call the doctor on monday which i will be doing. I just feel it is not working properly and causing more problems i dont want. I dont feel myself at all

• Posted

Debbie,

I have been on 10mg for almost 2 months as of the 17th of this month. When he increased my dose just a few days ago it made me extermely anxious having panic attacks and couldnt function right even taking my xanax for attacks didnt help. Called the pharmacist he said it shouldnt be doing that and to take the 10mg for this weekend and call the doctor on monday so gonna do that and call the doc tomorrow

• Posted

If you feel Suicidle contact NHS DIRECT on Tel 111 and explain your fears.

If you talk with your GP tomorrow let us know how you get on

BOB

• Posted

Im not feeling suicidal as of now i had a suicidal th i ught pop in my head and it scared me sooo bad. I would never but i shouldnt be thinking like that but i remember it saying to call doctor rigjt away if you have new symptoms of suicidal thoughts after a few weeks of use. I have been on it almost 2 months and then this comes out of no where
    • Posted

sasha

I attempted suicide several years ago and I am still getting flack.

It is not worth it

BOBx

• Posted

I have been through alot in my 30 years of life. I know the impact it causes on others my brother committed suicide when he was 20 years old believe me i would never attempt it and what my family went through after his death it was just a scary thought which after i took my xanax i was fine and it hasnt come back into my head.. Thats why i believe it could be the medicine causing it. I have never thought like that before in my life !
    • Posted

Doing ok i suffer with intrusive thoughts so i think it may have some to do with that. You can have suicidal intrusive thoughts as well now im just scared if i take my celexa again what if it causes me to think like that again. It feels like its a never ending cycle. But thats what intrusive thoughts do to you. Its just now the what if situation. How have you been doing with your increase? Mine was horrible after the second dose pharmasict told me it was too much.
    • Posted

I suffer from intrusive thoughts too. I've actually been doing pretty good on my increased dose. A little heightened anxiety but I know that's part of the side effects of an increase. Today my intrusive thoughts came to me almost made me go into a panic attack. I just can't let the thoughts scare me and just left them slide through my mind. Sometimes it's easier than others.

• Posted

See my increase was terrible my anxiety increased really bad i thought i was going to lose it. Couldnt get ahold of doc so called phamacist he said it shouldnt do that and to stay with the 10mg dose and call doctor on monday. So thats what im doing currently.
    • Posted

I was told for OCD pure O, only the higher doses will work. 10 mg isn't really anything. I hope you start to feel better. I know how the intrusive thoughts are. We let the thoughts bother us and that's what causes anxiety.

• Posted

See i just recently started getting the intrusive thoughts during high stressful situations or when something trajmatic happened in my life. It would take me a couple months to get back to normal after the event but i was always able to boince back well in sept i decided to see a psch and try meds so here i am. I know 10mg isnt much but it seems lime if it is getting worse by the day and the 17th will be 2 months on 10mg. I dont know what to do 😒. When u started your increase right with me how bad was your anxiety increased ? Oh yeah and do you have a fb we can stay in contact with ?

• Posted

The first night I took my increase (I take it at 9 PM) I couldn't sleep. But I didn't know if I was just having anxiety because I knew I increased due to me being so afraid to increase. Yesterday I woke up with a lot of anxiety.. but it leveled out by the afternoon. My name on Facebook is Daisy Quiles

• Posted

Sent you a request on fb.. Maybe i should have just toughed it out lol vut the anxiety was terrible. Gonna talk to the doc tomorrow and see what he wants me to do. I take mine at night too do you have trouble with being tired through out the day. I feel like i have no energy and no motivation. I just wanna be myself again !!
    • Posted

Accepted the friend request. Yea I told myself to just tough it out. I have another friend I met on here. And she was terrified of taking medications too. But she did it and increased her dose and now she says she 90% better. So I just took advice cuz I need to get better. For the sake of my relationship and kids. I do feel lazy through out the day but I just have to push myself to do whatever has to be done. Sometimes at work I don't feel like doing anything lol. How long have u been dealing with is being this bad?

• Posted

The first month was ok i guess woke up with anxiety everymorning, spacey feeling all day but took xanax for that and it took it away. Work has been slow for me because i had to cut hrs with my husbands new job and the kids school schedule. So i havent really had to pish myself through the day. The last few weeks i have had 0 energy i dont want to move from my bed but i always feel better toward the end of the night . i take my celexa around 7-730 and it makes me feel better but its the next day that gets me. I wonder if i should try it during the day ?
    • Posted

I thought it would make me drowsy that's why I automatically started taking it at night and now that's what I'm use to. How long have you been dealing with anxiety?

• Posted

I had my first anxiety attack when i was 15 i am now 30 so 15 years ugh. It just recently started getting bad though. I went 9 years without meds with the exception of xanax prn.
    • Posted

I had my first anxiety attack when I was 9 and I'm now 28

• Posted

Geez that is quite awhile too. Well were in this together im here for ya. And glad to hear from you again today! Im praying for the best for all us anxiety sufferers. Keep in touch through here or fb now that we are fb friends.
    • Posted

See right now I'm having full blown anxiety as I try to fall asleep sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.