Hemithyroidectomy

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello I noticed a lump in my throat a while ago and had a biopsy done I've now had another biopsy and the drs would like to remove my right side of my thyroid along with the lump

To test if it's cancerous I'm obviously a little worried but If anyone has experienced this could they give me a few pointers on what to expect before and after the op Tia 

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Unfortunately, I cant answer your question but my hospital has told me today that the lump on my thyroid is not cancerous, the tests I had were a needle biopsy & an ultrasound scan. I am wondering if they have not been thorough enough or if your hospital is being over-cautious.

They asked me if I wanted to have it removed & I said yes as I frightened to leave it in case it affects my health.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply I've had the operation now and am recovering just waiting for my results now fingers crossed 
  • Posted

I'm just waiting to see the surgeon to discuss my op. Was it ok, are you in a lot of discomfort now? 

Fingers crossed for you that all is well when you get your results 😊

• Posted

Thank you what op are you having the hemithyroidectomy or the full thyroidectomy I wasnt in a great deal of pain it just feels a little stiff when moving and getting comfy in bed is a nightmare but all in all not as bad as I expected hope it all goes ok for you 
  • Posted

Hi, I'm having the hemithyroidectomy; glad you're doing well, I feel a little better after what you've told me.

Wishing you a speedy recovery x

• Posted

You'll be fine i got myself worked up about it and I'm like the biggest wuss and I'm doing really well I hope it all goes well for you xx
  • Posted

Hah I'm a big wuss too! Thanks for that x biggrin
    • Posted

Me and you then any other questions you have I'll be happy to answer xx
  • Posted

Thanks I appreciate that, I might have some after I speak with the surgeon, just waiting for the date to come through xxx
  • Posted

Nice reading about your experience and what to expect. Glad you're doing well. I'm due to have my surgery in 2 days time and starting to stress now. Good luck withyour results
    • Posted

You'll be fine it's not as bad as you expect unfortunately for me my results wasn't so good and I was diagnosed on Thursday with thyroid cancer so just waiting now for another op to remove the other half of my thyroid but at least this time round I know what to expect good luck with the surgery and any questions or worries you have I'm happy to

Answer xx

• Posted

Hi surgery went well - 4th day post op. Quick question though - soooo exhausted after the slightest bit of activity and sleeping well, but a lot more than normal. As soon as I have done something physically and mentally shattered - is this to be expected ? Thanks 
    • Posted

Glad surgery went well I was very tired and drained after my op but I wasn't sleeping as   Well as I wanted I think after any op it's ightly normal to be more tired and drain than normal id see how you feel after a few more days xx
  • Posted

Sorry about your results. Hope your second operations goes as smoothly as the. first and keep positive with the result, there are excellent treatments nowadays, with good outcomes. Take care x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.