Hemithyroidectomy

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello I noticed a lump in my throat a while ago and had a biopsy done I've now had another biopsy and the drs would like to remove my right side of my thyroid along with the lump

To test if it's cancerous I'm obviously a little worried but If anyone has experienced this could they give me a few pointers on what to expect before and after the op Tia 

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have a lump on my thyroid and being told I need to have at lest the let side removed. I have had an unlta sound but no biopsy does anyone know if this is normal.  Worried about surgery as I also have m.e.
    • Posted

Hello try not to worry cause stress just makes things worse I've had my right side roved and the operation wasn't no way near as bad as I thought it would be not sure about the biopsy thing cause I had 2 before they removed mine or maybe they just want to remove it if it's big and causing breathing difficulties? Good luck with the op 
  • Posted

Hi, I spoke to yo a couple of months ago; I'm so sorry to see your results weren't good & I hope if you've already had your 2nd op, all went well & that you're treatment is going well too.

After being told my lump was not cancerous, I was then told the results were inconclusive; they carried out a further scan & FNT but still couldn't come to a conclusion so I will have the left side of my thyroid removed on 17th Oct. Obviously, I'm concerned about the results of the biopsy & wondered if you felt ill in any way with your lump before your first op.

Also, does the swelling after the op interfere with swallowing & does sneezing hurt? These are silly things that keep running through my head lol I've heard there is a risk of damage to the vocal chords which is really concerning me too sad

• Posted

Hello thank you for the well wishes yes I've had my 2nd op waiting for my treatment now! The only symptoms I really had was the lump and I lost weight I had swelling but it didn't interfere with me eating or drinking you may be off food for the first day but that was due to anaesthetic and no sneezing didn't hurt but coughing did it's more uncomfortable than painful and yes I had no damage to my vocal cords they check normally about 2 weeks after your op I don't think it's high risk though so I wouldn't worry another thing my voice was hoarse for the first few weeks and I couldn't talk as loud hope this helps and your op goes ok x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.