Hemorrhoidectomy recovery experience

Posted , 93 users are following.

I had a hemorrhoidectomy a couple of years ago and I used this site quite a lot during recovery for tips so i decided id finally share what happened with me in case it helps others. 

My piles were BAD. they didnt cause me pain but they eventually got to a stage where they were bleeding CONSTANTLY. I had appointments with the hospital (UK- NHS) on and off for about 18 months and was repeatedly told that they're been banded and i should be fine. 

The problem continued and I kept going back. After one particular sigmoidoscopy the nurse was wheeling me back and was saying everything was fine. It was at this point i had to stop her and said no, everything wasnt fine. I explained id been in several times before and I kept getting told i was fine only to go home and bleed profusely. The bleeding was excessive to the point that I was anemic and was on verge of a transfusion. 

Upon hearing this, the nurse took me back into the surgeon who said he would have another look. I dont know HOW differently he looked but he told me I had an extreme case of circumferencial hemorrhoids that were actively bleeding as i was on the table and that surgery would be required.  

I had a weird sense of dread and relief. FINALLY they've found the problem but OH GOD, SURGERY. 

I woke after the surgery and was discharged soon after having been told that i may have some discomfort but  healing time would be 2-3 days. 

I say this with no exaggeration or dramatics but that was just absolute inaccurate bullsh*t.  I was in excrutiating pain when the morphine wore off. I couldnt move without severe pain, I couldnt walk or stand up or do anything without help and severe pain. 

I didnt need to go the toilet until the following day and every single minute motion caused severe pain and the act of actually passing my stool was almost unbearable. 

To give you some perspective on me and my threashold. I've been knocked over by a car and fractured by skull, I've broken my hip, pelvis and elbow in a bad fall, ive had tattoos etc etc....NOTHING comes close to how painful this was. 

I dont tell you this to put you off....i tell you this because at one point i found myself sat on the toilet almost in tears (LOL i have to laugh at this now!) wondering if this pain would ever actually end and it was in this mood that i came across this website. It was a weird relief to read that other people have had horrendous experinces too and that it was not just me. I read about having sitz baths and what foods could help with toilet visits etc and I actually had some hope that I would get better.

The only thing that helped with toilet visits was showering after. I cralwed into the shower after each visit and let the warm water wash me up and it soothed the burning pain considerably.  

I was bed ridden for 3 weeks and even when i could move around a bit easier on my own, i had these muscle spasms that would come on unexpectedly, cause a short blast of pain and then disappear. 

All in all i experinced pain to varying degrees for around a month. I had on and off bleeding for around 1 - 2 months to the point that the doctor actually recommended i wear sanitary pads which i did! 

The recovery obviously depends on how serious the piles are but if they ARE serious, you can expect a horrible bumpy ride after. I say this....because I wish someone had told ME this so i at least knew what to expect other than being told id be out of action for 2-3 days. I could have prepared myself a bit for it. 

Do I regret the surgery? No way..... it was a month out of my life that wasnt great but its given me a lifelong solution and i've never had problems since. 

SO my advice is, get the surgery but mentally prepare yourself for a crap ride afterwards but look forward to being rid of them for good! hurrah!

7 likes, 1223 replies

1223 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

Hi, i had this operation Tuesday, and the pain feels neverending.

I have been avoiding taking codine based painkillers so sticking to paracetamol n ibrophen. Which doesnt seem to do a great deal.

How long does it take for the bleeding to stop?

I feel like im going to pass out after a bm, i get all hot, sweaty n sickey feeling. The pain feels unbelievable (give me labour pains anyday!)

I cant be laid up all the time either as im a single mum with a very active near 2 yr old.

I have alot of help but i dont like not being able to care for her.

How long was you alll off work for? I have another week left but I can't even sit up on the sofa/bed let alone at a desk for 8hrs.

There has to be an end too all this soon?

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks

• Posted

I had the op 15 days ago, if I wasn't putting on hydrocortisone cream 3x a day for S,all swelling I wouldn't know I'd had the op. It's been like this since day 8. But everyone heals different and I had external haemorrhoids removed and skin tag. I think internal is different. 

I found buying a donut ring to sit on both at home and in the car a big pressure reliever. 

As per my tip 

Most important tip from my doctor is to use the stool softeners and not get constipation or diarreah. I find for me if I have a tablespoon after lunch then I'm ready to go either before bed or early morning.

As per previous message, get a sitz bath to use straight after a BM. It will help you too.

• Edited

Hi Trish

I had internal hems and a skin tag removed 11 days ago.

Prior to my op the surgeon told me it's a painful operation and to take fybogel 3 months beforehand. No other information was provided!! On the day of my op I was sharing my hosiptal bedroom with another person who was having a different kind of surgery; so I was too embarrassed to ask questions when the surgeon did his walk around, so we didn't discuss the op.

I then started googling and was horrified by some of the stories on here and started to get extremely nervous. After my op it wasn't long before I had an emergency loo trip, this was not good. Blood, poo and packaging shot out, I was dizzy, felt sick, terrified, upset & angry at what I had allowed to happen to myself. Pain wasn't too bad because of all the meds & numbing down below. The next day I had some pain killers & felt great, I walked out the hospital and drove home.

This was definitely the calm before the storm. 2 days in & my first 'proper' b/m was horrendous, it was sharp burning pains that lasted hours afterwards. I can't touch my anus because of the pain, even farting was painful.

11 days on & I still have some blood & clear/yellow discharge coming out. I do get relief when I use the shower to wash myself, but this only works if I'm at home!!

Last night (10 day post op), I had a bowel movement, it was painful - on a scale 0-10 I wud say 5, but the pain afterwards lasted hours & was more like an 8. In the end I took a strong pain killer & went to bed.

I am terrified of going out and needing the loo, it's the noise, smell, cleaning up & pain during/afterwards. I am praying it will b ok in a week when I return back to work.

I just feel so naive & stupid for not researching this type of surgery before I had it done, but then shouldn't the consultant have given me all this information??

That said, after the op my consultant did advise that I keep up with the stool softeners & fybogel for 3 months & to take baths every day. I'm not using soap, as I don't want to cause any irritation & I've been adding salt to the bath water.

If you think about it, we've been left with open sores; then we have faeces that contains bile & waste rubbing past it with pressure... it's going to hurt, bleed & weep.

I think all we can do is take care of ourselves and wait. I'm sure in time it will get back to normal. Here's hoping!! Good luck xx

• Posted

I got told it would be painful,but mever expected it to be on this level.

Ihad my 1st bm 2 days after surgrey and i have never been resorted to tears and a breakdown like that before. Each one os the same although im not crying (much!)

I was taking lactose but it wasnt helping so im taking laxido 1 or 2 a day.(think these are like fibrogel)

My pain levels are around an 8 or 9 still, it wipes me out for ages afterwards.

I have another week off work but i dont feel like im going to be able to sit at a desk for 8 hrs yet, i cant even sit for 15mins!

Also feel like im getting a cold which is putting extra pressure on the area when i cough n sneeze.

I hope your recovery gets better from here on, least i know im not suffering alone and when im gojng through is 'normal ' (not that it feels normal at all)

Trisha x

• Posted

Do you get pain after a b/m? Unless I'm on painkillers, my pain can last hours. But I've read some pain killers can give you constipation, so I'm trying to avoid them unless absolutely necessary.

I think we are going to get a lot of horror stories on here, because we are all looking for people in the same situation as ourselves. I'm sure there are lots of positive stories, we just aren't getting to hear about them wink

Like you, I have an office job that involves a lot of sitting & i'm dreading going back to work. It's such a taboo subject & I don't want people talking behind my back or laughing at me, so I've not told anyone and have done this alone.

The internet has helped tho, as it's given me some relief that what I'm experiencing is pretty normal. We will get there smile Xx

• Posted

Yeah i get pain for hours after a bm, i cant stand up straight and feels like some1 has got a bunson burner there on full!! I have been taking paracetamol n ibrophen, i was under the impression its codine based painkillers which cause constipation.. im taking them like sweeties. Im still taking the antibiotics too.

Some at work what im off for, i have warned my managerto expect me off for 4 weeks. I dont want to have to sit on a ring at work.

I have been eating more fibre,and drinking more so this seems to be helping.

Still dread going to the toilet, i kinda have to mentally prepare myself and have the shower running.

Im hoping my mum watches my little girl so i can relax in a bath. Its only thing i havent tried.

I can walk more 'straight' today but i dont want to go out my house yet.

Has the bleeding stopped for you?

• Posted

Hi. I am getting a little bit of blood mixed with a bit of clear or sometimes yellow stuff when I 'gently' wipe & I'm still using sanitary towels.

Like you, I have to mentally prepare myself before going to the toilet. Yesterday I had a day out and was so worried I might need the toilet. I was checking where all the toilets were and praying I wouldn't need to go... luckily I was ok until I got home!

Keep me posted with your recovery, wishing you well xx

• Posted

Laxido is a laxative. I'm not sure why your taking a laxative. I was advised to take a stool softener which is different to a laxative as it hydrates the BM to decrease the pain. Also I drink between 3 and 4 litres of water of liquid a day in order to assist the bowels and the stool softeners as per surgeons orders. High fiber diet. I take the stool softener at lunch time rather than in the evening which means Im ready for action 6am. When I took them in the evening I found I could not leave the house in the morning as I was waiting for the BM. Surgeon advised me not to take a laxative and to ensure you don't have constipation or diarrhoea.

Time will help, for me I am one of the lucky ones I know, but all the tips passed on should hopefully help you.

• Posted

Oh, it could be coz i wasnt able to go for a few days after op, so i rang my local gp and thata what he told me to do.

I have judt taken lactose again to see if that helps make a difference.

Has it been long since your op?

• Posted

Today is day 15 post op and I wouldn't know I'd had the op if it wasn't for putting hydrocortisone cream 3x a day which I'm advised to do for 5-6 weeks.

please don't take the laxatives and try stool softeners, I really think it made the world of difference for me and regulated me to 1 or 2 BM between 6-6.30am each day and I'm fine the rest of the day.

• Posted

I've had this burning sensation down below since my op (4wks ago) and I've been reading around it on other forums. I think I've got a fissure & a lot of people have suggested using coconut oil; so I've tried it and after 1 day it's made a massive improvement.

So if you think you may have a fissure, then read around 'fissure & coconut oil' & have a try of it!

• Posted

Thanks for the tip. i have been getting burning sensation too, also get bleeding still. Having to use germolin ever day and taking ibrophen daily.oh and latulose twice a day.

Im due to work on wednesday and dreading it. I still get pain when i cough (been ill last 2/3 weeks )

Im 4 weeks post op on tuesday. Feels like im never going to be 100%

• Posted

I'm seeing my surgeon later today for the first time since the op. I'm telling him Ive never been so unhappy, miserable & traumatised in my life. I went to get a skin tag removed & ended up with 2 more; one of which is massive & going the toilet is like a horror movie.

It has really taken its toll on my physical & mental health & I can't ever see me leading a normal life again; nor ever being able to get intimate with anyone.

As for work, like you I'm dreading it. I go back properly this week and I really don't want to. I'm so anxious around b/m & I'm worried sitting for so long will slow down the healing process, which seems to be slow enough as it is.

Will this nightmare ever end!!!

• Posted

Good luck today, when I went back last Thursday my surgeon said I wasn't healing as I was allergic to the cream he gave me (I was so sore and red all around and still swollen lump). He changed my medication and I have to say in the last few days my pain is much less. When I put the cream on (3x a day) I'm now only sore for 5-10 mins and not 2 hours. The swelling has reduced a little too. He also changed my tablets and I'm on dafflon now. Still I bleed fresh red blood when I go to the toilet. Maybe I need to up the laxative / stool softener. It still hurts to pass stool but only now for maybe 1-2 mins. 

The lump / skin tag is still there but I think it's now maybe starting to shrink with the new meds a little.

I go back and see him after another week.

let us know how you get on. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Sam. What meds are you on? Did he say if the skin tag will go and if not, what can be done?

I went to see my GP who prescribed 'Scheriproct' ointment & suppositories, as she said the tags were hemmorhoids, but I'm sure the cream thinned the skin, as I've become red raw & I'm still swollen. After reading around the symptoms, I think I may have a fissure. So I've been putting a tsp of coconut oil in a salted bath and rubbing the oil direct on to my 'wound'. I can't go internally to apply it, as its way too painful, but the external pain has pretty much gone.

I'm dreading it if the surgeon wants to do an internal examination, as I don't think I can stand the pain. Honestly I cant begin to tell you how upset I am over this horrible procedure.

It does sound like the 3 of us have had a similar experience, let's hope we all have a good ending!!

I will keep you posted - thanks for all your support smile

• Posted

Hi, I'm now on  Varixinal gel 3x a day and dafflon 500 2 tablets morning and evening. Things have def calmed down as I was not in a good way as I'd developed a rash and allergy to the proctolysal surgeon had me on (I was so annoyed to as it was £45 per tube and he prescribed me 3 tubes to last 6 weeks which were not covered by my insurance and on discharge day I just paid not thinking I didn't need 3 tubes. They pharmacy won't take all the excess back 😞wink

My rash has calemed down and it is not too sore now and I do feel like the skin tag has reduced a little in size. Like you I am questioning what he did about my skin tag as I went in with one hemorroid and 2 tags and came out being told I had 2 hemorroid's and 1 tag. Every time I question the surgeon re the tag he forgets it. I wonder wether he actually removed it! 

So now I'm waiting a week to see how I get on and how it reduces with the new medication. Also need to stop bleeding each bowel movement.

at one stage I thought I had a fissure, so I went to see a dermatologist as the surgeon was not available in order to get an opinion. They said no it was just all the bad reaction to the cream.

I too use coconut oil and also emuaid since I changed the mess too. So I'm not sure which one is really helping. But altogether they seem to be. 

Let us know how your appointment goes. Good luck.

• Posted

Right this is what my surgeon has said... stay away from steroid creams, not good on open wounds (which is probably why I went red raw). He said just keep the wound clean with shower head and baths. Don't need anything in the water like salt or coconut oil, but not a problem if I use it. I don't need to use stool softeners any longer, but keep up with the fibogel twice per day. He said there are cheaper products out there, which are all just as good.

He explained that the 'skin tags' are not hemmorhoids but skin that will heal up and flatten out. But we won't know this until I'm healed. It's very early days so I have to go back in 3 months. If skin tags remain, then it's a very quick procedure to remove them - nothing like the hemorroidectomy!!

He used an example of a someone being thumped and their eye swelling up - that's basically what we are like down below. As we sit on our injury, this makes the swelling take longer to heal; but we have to give it time before we can make a judgement.

I do feel very reasssured and thankful that there's no infection or fissure!!

Keep in touch smile

• Posted

Good news. Sounds like you had an adverse reaction like I did. Yes I see what you mean with the swelling. I think mine is going down slowly now. I am a little concerned that where the two hemorroid'S were I can now feel two white bumps either side of th skin tag/swollen area. Lets give it a couple of weeks and see how we are.

pleased you had a good appointment and are feeling a bit better 😀

• Posted

Hi Samantha. The smaller skin tag I have at the back has got some small lumps either side. I thought these were little hems. My surgeon is adamant that these bumps will go down. So hopefully yours will go down too.

As much as I'm still in pain & it looks scary down there, I've got no option but to wait. Keep you posted. Can't quite believe I'm posting stuff about my butt hole 😂

• Posted

Hi Melissa. Just ask as many questions as you have to do you understand exactly what they will be doing and how to care for yourself. I'm not going to lie, it's not a pleasant experience, but any operation isn't pleasant.

When you look at these forums most people are on here for the first couple of months and then you don't hear from them, so I think that must be because they've recovered.

Good luck, take care and keep in touch xx

• Posted

Melissa, try not to worry too much. As Carl say's people who come here tend to come. Cause they've had a problem. Most people don't have one. Are you having internal or external removals? My problems seems to be centred around a skin tag / lump / swelling and also the hydrocortisone allergy.

Good luck and let us know how everything is x

• Posted

I've been out of surgery for about an hour and it already hurts so bad. So much pressure. Can't wait to be home in my bed

• Posted

Hi, take the pain medication they give you, what did they prescribe? The trick is to make sure you take it on schedule so you head off the pain. Problem is if you forget to take it or you think your ok and don't take it then the pain hits really hard.

Recovery takes a few weeks, lets take it one day at a time. Try and relax, have clear soup and light foods and the first bowel movement will be painful (lets not sugar coat it). Have your sitz bath or shower hose ready to use immediately and it will help with the pain.

try and relax and I think understanding the time it's going to take to recover and allowing the time is important.

btw. I'm 46. How old are you? Age can make a difference in recovery.

try and sleep xx

• Posted

I'm 34 and they gave me norco 10mg. I didn't get any pain mess at hospital so the first one hasn't kicked in yet. They just numbed the area up

• Posted

Also how soon after your surgery were u able to get in water? My doc said not to today but I feel like I already to have a BM.
    • Posted

Where are you? US?

i had pain melds from hospital and stayed the first night in hospital. You need strong mess forwt night.

if you need a bowel move,net do not force it. My experience isn't they pack gauze inside and it helps with the healing so if you can try not today all the best. But if so do you have a sitz bath? If not run a bath and sit in it and do not push, just try and relax. For me my iPad was a good friend. Plus sudoku! First two nights are the most painful on my experience. It gets better pain wise slowly in a day to day basis.

please take the pain meds they are so important first two weeks

take care xx

• Posted

lol my sorry my typing is awful this evening! 

Paind meds

do not force it

strong meds first night

i blame auto correct!

• Posted

Yes I'm in the US and this was outpatient surgery. He filled the area with nivacaine and gave me the meds. I have finally taken one and taken some Advil. I'm hoping for a little relief soon. I did get a sitz bath and I have t ready. I don't know if I have any gauze on the inside but I have a lot taped on the crack and in it. I knew from reading the forums that this would be bad but you really can't imagine this kind of pain.

• Posted

Please take the pain meds. I think I had ones stronger than Advil equivalents. If your still in pain in the mor img call and ask for a stronger prescription. 

the idea is you head off the pain, so you take it in advance. I hate taking medicine but I agree it's so important to take n advance in this case. 

Normally there is gauze inside and doc should have advised you. The first stool is more difficult to pass. I felt like I needed to go for 6-8hrs before I actually did go. It's the pressure. Try and relax. Try not to think about it.

when I had my op I didn't eat the day before and Took laxatives so I had cleared out my system knowing there was nothing in it to pass. 

Baking soda or sodium bicarbonate is good to pop in the sitz bath for healing.

did the doc give you any cream? Hydrocortisone cream at an ear,y stage is important.

try and sleep when you can, the next few days everything will be up in the air, if you can just sleep when you can xx

• Posted

It's been an hour since I took the pain med, it's not helping so I took a half of another one just now and I have taken the advil with it. Hopefully I won't have a BM today. Thank you for talking me thru this. When my husband just told me my meds have already kicked I started crying because they are not helping so far.

• Posted

Hi Melissa, Glad you've come thru the 1st stage ok. I wasn't told about the gauze and when I came out of theatre I had a loose b/m and it shot out. I thought I'd lost my insides for a moment lol. Ask about when it needs to be removed as I've read if blood dries it can be painful to remove (so it might be better to do this in the bath).

I was given antibiotics as a precaution, ibruphen & tramadol. Most importantly is keep up with the fibre (I had fibogel) & stool softeners. I would say rest tonight & when you feel strong enuf, have a shallow bath with salt and 'gentley tap' the wound dry. You don't want the area getting chapped!!

Wear some sanitary towels, as this will give some comfort, help keep the area dry & undergarments clean.

First b/m is indescribable!! Like Samantha said, keep relaxed (easy to say), but you really need to try... keep breathing... like they show you when having a baby!!!

Rest but keep moving to make sure the blood flows, which helps with the healing process.

Big hugs smile

• Posted

I called the doctor office and they told me I could take it out so I could go to the bathroom. I had no luck going though. I feel like the pain was 100% and now down to 95%. I was expecting this to be more of a burning pain. I'm not sure what kind of pain this would be considered except the pain from hell lol. Thanks for all the advice. It helps knowing others have been thru this.

• Posted

I am okay this morning. I have stayed on top of my pain meds throughout the night. I will say that the area has a burning feeling now. I was wiping with flushable wipes and I'm not sure if that little bit of patting caused it or if that's just what it's gonna do. I took a bath around 4:30am and I feel like a person again. I'm not sleeping but about an hour at a time. But for now it's not unbearable. Now that I can put water on it I will use the sitz bath to clean myself instead of wipes. How far into the process are you now and how are you feeling?

• Posted

Good to hear, take it easy. I used a toilet hose first couple of weeks before graduating to the flushable wipes. I still use the flushable wipes now but also I do use some regular toilet paper very gently.

i had my op 25 Sept. after couple of weeks I became allergic to the medication/hydrocortisone but didn't get back to the doctors for 1-2 weeks to sort out the problem. I went back a week ago today and he changed my cream and gave me some different tablets and to be honest the soreness has just about disappeared. I still have what appears to be a lump/swelling but I do feel like it is going down a bit with the new meds. I'm due back to see the surgeon next week. Haven't had a bowel movement since Monday when I took a little too much laxative and spent the evening in the toilet. Up to that point each day the pain when having one was becoming less. Lets see in next few days. 

• Posted

Hopefully when you do have a BM it won't be too bad. I'm dreading the first one. My doc said if I don't go in two days to take a laxative so I'm hoping my miralax and stool softener will work before then. I also feel a bunch of bumps and lumps down there. Hoping it all goes away eventually. They didn't give me any creams to put on it or any antibiotics. I will see the doctor next Thursday again to be checked. Hopefully your bumps will keep going down.

• Posted

Hopefully!

I'm quite surprised they didn't give you a hydrocortisone. Yourbhealing would be faster/smoother with it. Maybe question the doctor.

Be careful with laxatives and stool softeners. The idea is to not have constipation or diarrhoea. For this I found the stool softener best. Doc had advised me to take it in the evening. When I did this I found I spent all morning till lunch in the house for my two bowel movements. So I started to take at lunchtime and found this made me go when I woke up in the morning which was much better for me and meant I was not housebound half the day!

• Posted

I will ask about the cream. I'm gonna have to see if they can change my pain meds I think now that the numbing meds have wore off it's really not helping. I feel like I'm on fire. Also I started taking the stool softeners before I ever had the surgery and still haven't went. I'm not to anxious to go but I'm worried about having to take a laxative. I have IBS so I don't go reguraly anyways. The pain makes every movement scary lol.

• Posted

Yes your medication did seem low grade pain meds Please ask for stronger meds. Drink lots of water - minimum 3-4 litres a day. This will help with the stool. Stool softeners need the extra water to work properly and you need it to soften your stools. Don't worry too much today. Maybe take a laxative tonight? Take care

• Posted

Afternoon smile when I was suffering the other week (thought the skin tags were more hemorroids), my GP prescribed hydrocortisone cream, but my wound became inflamed even more. When I met with my surgeon the other day, he advised not to use any hydrocortisone meds as they've got a steroid in them and aren't good for open wounds.

My surgeon didn't tell me to take laxatives, just stool softeners. My GP prescribed laxatives so I could be in control of my b/m when returning to work because of the pain. However, I think this could be a bad mistake, as much as its painful to go the loo, I believe I need my b/m to be 'normal' so the canal can function as it should. So I am only going to use them if I am getting constipated.

From my experience, I would suggest getting the guidance off your surgeon rather than your GP, who isn't specialised in this area.

My worry with my surgeon is that he doesn't want to see me again until February!! He said any problems I can get in touch, but it seems so far away; especially when I still feel so raw down there.

What did we sign up to 😳😩

• Posted

My surgeon told me to take the laxative if I didn't go within two days. I'm hoping I go today. I didn't realize I have been taking my pain meds too much. I'm supposed to take them 4 times a day and I have been taking them every four hours. But regardless they are helping to well. Also I am afraid of the laxative because I'm afraid diarrhea will burn me. But I've taken three stool softeners a day and miralax twice and nothing is happening. I started those before surgery to try to get it soft beforehand. As scared as I am to have a BM, I'm even more scared not to lol. I'm not sure what we have signed up for but will be glad to be healed.

• Posted

I'm probably gonna call and get the meds changed. I'm drinking water only and taking the miralax and three softeners a day. I'm thinking if nothing happens today I will do laxative tonight or first thing tomorrow. Luckily I am stay at home mom so I don't have to go anywhere. I have had 3 c sections and they didn't hurt near as bad as this. Crazy how much this hurts.

• Posted

Hi, I think the hydrocortisone works for a couple of weeks but anything longer you can react against it. Just like you and I did. 

As for the laxatives, I agree, I was told stool softener is much better. I just picked up soe more today.

if your not feeling good, go back to the surgeon. Are you in U.K. Or US? Surely he has a duty of care to you as a patient.

February is far away, don't let yourself get down in this time if you require help. 

For me if i I haven't had a bowl movement by morning I will go back to the surgeon. I'm currently feeling like it's just too big to pass and I don't know what more to do than request an enema (wonderful). 

Crazy as today day apart from this issue I haven't noticed any other soreness or issues. 

• Edited

I know this may sound strange but don't take too many laxatives if your bowel is blocked.  Laxatives don't work on stools that are already low down/in the rectum.  If you have a blockage there, then laxatives will make the faeces that are higher up very liquid and they will just overflow round the blockage. Liquid faeces leaking out uncontrollably is a nightmare and makes you very sore as well as preventing you from resuming normal life.  This was my experience and it was very unpleasant.  Stool softeners are a good idea. I had at least 5 enemas which didn't do anything to help.  In the end I removed the blockage myself bit by bit in the shower - very painful, but since then I've been very careful not to let it happen again.  One laxative only every other day and stool softeners twice daily are keeping me on track now. It is a very painful experience, worse than giving birth breech and than breaking my back, but three months since the surgery I finally feel that I'm getting my life back, so it does come to an end!

• Posted

Dee. Thanks for writing. If you have any suggestion on the removal cal you please pm me? I'm at the stage where I need to do this ASAP. Many thanks 

• Posted

I stood in the shower and my very-understanding husband directed the warm spray on the bottom of my back. I used medical gloves, which I bought from the chemist, and I pushed until some faeces were near the edge, then used one gloved finger inserted into the anus to pull little bits out.  It was only small pieces at first, then I left it for a few hours and tried again. On the third try the huge lumps began to come out on their own.  It was very painful, but I had been readmitted to hospital three times prior to this and been discharged still with the blockage there, so drastic measures were needed!  I didn't insert my finger very far so I couldn't do any damage - the doctors had examined me with a finger in the rectum so I was sure it would be ok.  Also they'd put enemas into me and they hadn't done any damage.  It was a drastic solution, but I had been blocked for three weeks with liquid faeces overflowing round the blockage. If you're worried about doing damage then don't try it because your surgery is more recent than mine was when I did it. (The district nurse who gave me the last enema suggested that I remove it manually as a last resort.)

• Posted

Thanks Dee. I guess you could say I've been doing round one for the last hour. Good to know you took a break and I'll do that now. Small tiny marble sized at the minute. Thank you so much for your advice. Now that I am here when I stand up I feel like there is a huge bulbous lump around the anus which is the pressure from what is to come out. Did you find the whole area swelled up a bit?

• Posted

Yes, it was swollen and sore. While the blockage was there it felt like a huge stone inside my anus, pressing on the bottom of my backbone - the coccyx I think.  I did it twice one day and the third time the next day.  I didn't have the energy to try it all in one go, but it was such a relief to know that I could begin to move it bit by bit.  For the first time I began to feel a bit optimistic about getting better. It was very painful and I did scream - in fact my husband told our neighbour not to worry as he wasn't killing me! So it may not come out until you've tried a few times but every little bit that you can remove is a step in the right direction.  Once the blockage had gone I did take laxatives as I was so worried about it happening again, but they were making me incontinent so I gradually reduced them until I was ok with just lactulose as a stool softener.

• Posted

Hi ladies. I'm so grateful for this forum!!

Has anybody's surgeon said how long you should take the stool softeners for?

My surgeon told me I don't need to take it any more and to just carry on with the fibogel, which is important. Like you Samantha, I feel like I'm having huge b/m - but it isn't the case. I dread to think what it would be like if the stools weren't soft. Now I've started bleeding after a b/m & my bum cheeks are getting chapped so I'm putting Vaseline on.

Sam - I'm in the U.K.

Dee - glad to hear there is light at the end of this dark tunnel

Melissa - hope your doing ok

• Posted

Thank you Dee. I would be scared to use an enema. Does it hurt with all the stitches and soreness? I don't think I'm blocked up yet. I thinknif I don't take action I will be soon though.

• Posted

Mine hasn't said how long to take stool softeners. He has just said that when I'm healed I will always need to use something like Metamucil to keep the stool soft so I don't get hemorrhoids again. I ate some chicken noodle soup earlier and now I am throwing up horribly. Needless to say the butt area is really on fire after all of that. I'm currently soaking in a hot bath. Also with the laxative, it says to take 1 to 3 a day, how many would you all suggest on my first try with it? I don't want to have to much diarrhea.

• Posted

Hi Melissa!  I wouldn't and didn't use an enema myself.  They were given by various nurses.  They were painful but they didn't work because the blockage was stopping them going in far enough, so when the liquid in the enema was released it just trickled out again.

• Posted

Hi Melissa, I've got reservations about laxatives. Personally I would only use them when I haven't been for a couple of days. If you read Dee's message, the last thing you'd want is leakage!!

• Posted

i think each person is different and their normal bowel habit is different so whether to continue with stool softeners will be an individual decision.  I don't think it's a problem using them long term, whereas I was told that your bowel can become dependent on laxatives if they're used continuously.

I saw my original surgeon today and he told me that after this surgery the anus can often be narrower which can make stools difficult to pass if they're hard and/or large.  This narrowing is likely to be permanent apparently - he did give me the medical name for it, but I can't remember.  I wish I'd had this information before surgery as I might well have changed my mind.

Try Sudocream for the soreness (it's used on babies to prevent nappy soreness and I've found it's better than Vaseline.)

• Posted

I was certainly sick for quite a while after surgery, vomiting after food and also after taking medication - I don't think I actually kept any of the antibiotics down.  Pain itself makes you feel sick, also tiredness from not getting a good night's sleep and anxiety too, of course. The up side was that I lost some weight - it was great losing some off my waist, not so good losing it from my face as I'm sure I look very gaunt and much older now!

• Posted

Ok I'm gonna call the doctor and see about changing my pain meds since they aren't helping now. I tried to wait it out but can't any longer. I will also tell them about the vomiting.

• Posted

Melisssa - I didn't have any vomiting or nausea. I actually felt fine in myself. Could it be the meds??

Dee - was it stenosis?? That's what happened to the young lad who wrote on this forum earlier. I'm very nervous that may happen. Yes I think sudocrem would be better, Vaseline was the only thing I had in, so I may have to purchase a lot. Thanks

Crickey I can't wait for the day when all this is over!!

• Posted

Yes it was stenosis, Carl.  I know that it's happened to me because the stools that I pass now are much thinner in diameter than they used to be!

• Posted

Just called the doctors office and they were closed all day. She said if I can to wait until tomorrow and call back if not to go to the emergency room. Carl- maybe the meds. My hubby seems to think so. I took one at 11am after eating chicken noodle soup. I have just for the second time puked again and it's been five hours since I took it. Do either of u know what sudocream my be here in the states or something that is its equivalent?

• Posted

I think it's too early for me to know about stenosis but when I pass gas it's very airy sounding not how it was before surgery.

• Posted

I don't know the name but any cream that is used to prevent diaper rash or soreness from being in soiled diapers would be ok.

• Posted

Yes mine are too, but it feels like I'm having elephant trunk size ones!! I'm hoping it's just swelling... but how long does the swelling last?! I thought it would all be calm now as its 5 wks - tomorrow!

• Posted

My trumps sound like the last drop of air from a balloon - it's really embarrassing. Not manly at all lol

• Posted

Yes sounds like the meds. Maybe just take paracetamol. I was prescribed Tramadol, but they don't seem that strong if I'm honest.

I havent taken pain relief on a regular basis as I was scared of getting constipated, so I just take it as and when I can't stand the pain - not sure if this is a good idea, as some people say to keep it up. Personal choice I suppose. But being sick is not good & you don't want to get dehydrated - you need to make sure you get plenty of water!

• Posted

I'm trying to go 6 hrs in between taking the pain meds. My hubby has went out to get me some diaper cream and crackers. Hopefully eating those will help with nausea. I have a nausea med that is not helping at this point. If I wasn't throwing up I could bear everything else but I hate throwing up. This surgical recovery is literally a pain in the butt

• Posted

Don't spread that sudocrem on ur crackers lol

Hope you feel better soon, keep sipping the water (I'm bad at this!!) and hopefully get a good nights sleep x

• Posted

Lol. Hoping the cream will give some relief. Hope you get some rest also.
    • Posted

It's taken me three months to reach the point of feeling almost back to normality.  The pain and swelling lasted over nine weeks but then it was suddenly gone.  I suppose from reading these discussions, that how long it lasts varies a lot, but the pain does go eventually and the swelling.  But I still have some problems being able to feel the difference between needing to pass wind or actually go to the loo.  I have much more wind than before and it feels like passing a big bubble, quite noisy too and therefore embarrassing.  Occasionally it's what my husband calls wet wind which means there's a little smear of leakage with it.  Why did I ever go ahead with this surgery??

• Edited

At this point I completely don't know why anyone does this surgery. I'm hoping that I will eventually be happy I did it. Right now I'm not! Lol

• Posted

Well I've had the dreaded first BM. I actually had to do it in my sitz bath. There are no words for that pain and how it feels after. Im sure I am gonna have to go again in a little while and am totally dreading it. Hopefully the second one isn't as bad. Im soaking my aching bum in hot water now. I haven't thrown up since about 4 this afternoon. Hopefully that is over with. I will be saying lots of prayers throughout the night about my next BM. There was a lot of screaming during the first one.

• Posted

Melissa, Carl, Dee,

Morning, hope you all had a good night.

Melissa, I'd certainly look into stronger meds if I were you. For me the pain was strongest first couple of days and after that manageable- I only felt pain with a bm.

Carl, hope your starting to heal. Are you still red/sore?

Dee, sounds like you have had it quite tough, I'm pleased you've turned a corner.

Well an update here, I assisted a few small marbles to come out last evening (round one). The pain was bad but I didn't cry or scream - I'd say I was very close. After your message Dee I then went to bed.

Woke at 4am and assisted a little more, again with pain. I was about to make a sits bath when I felt the urge again and this time I was able to clear a much larger piece and then a second larger one came by itself. Some fresh red blood, quite a bit of pain and swelling at the time.

Immediately after pain gone, no more blood and swelling reduced.

Luckily I was able to contact my surgeon last night 9-10pm and he told me to take 2 laxatives and d I k more water. I suspect I will be in the bathroom a lot today! Let's see.

I don't not go and see him today unless I have more problems.

• Posted

Good morning all.

Congratulations on your 1st b/m Melissa, it does get much easier after this. I am still tender when I go & can have pain for a couple of hours afterwards, but the pain is reducing. Glad you've not been sick any more.

Yes I'm still tender down there Samantha, but I've woke up feeling much better thanks. Also, because I went the loo last night, I'm not too anxious today thinking I might need to go in work, so maybe I feel more relaxed which has helped! Wow you're lucky having your surgeon willing to speak to you as and when, I can't even do that with my local GP. Although from my experience, I'm going to avoid my GP and get any further advice off the surgeon.

Right, another day awaits. Hope you all have a positive healing day x

• Posted

Hi all,

​Im new to this site, but I must say it has helped me through my recovery,I had 3 degree riods and 2 degree prolapse! I dont even know if that was bad, all I know is I was suffering from may with awful attacks and I wasnt feeling great! I have suffered for about 12 years but it wasnt affecting my life until this year! so I plucked up the courage and spoke to GP!

​my first op was 7th Oct and OMG The pain was just undescribable, i was waiting for a good day to happen, it wasnt happening! Not even a 1% better day. Then to my horror they all fell back out, I Thought  it was my fault through straining , but that wasnt the case! Then 11 days after that I had an emergency op to be told it wasnt my fault but the operation wasnt done correctly! Im now on 2 weeks post second op and I feel 80% normal,B/M are an issue right now, I feel great in the mornings then  straight after B/M im in pain again, so I  go into the tub, have a hot water bottle ready, then after 2 hours it all calms down again! I take 2 stool softners, lemon water,  2 ibupfuflam, prunes, lots of fruit all Bran and soups a day so my stools are soft! so I dont know why im un so much pain after!

​I am moving around more this week, but afraid of going anywhere as i need to be near a toilet and my Bath, Im having 5-6 B/M a day!

​Hope you are all feeling good today and recovering nicely.

Lisa xxxxxx

• Posted

Hi Melissa , How are you feeling today? I feel your pain , it isnt nice, but it will get better eveyday.

xxx

• Posted

Hi Sam

When did you have your op ? I have a skin tag and was told that it should go after week 3 ! I'm not so sure as it's still quite big ! I'm hoping it goes !

Xxx

• Posted

Hi Lisa,

welcome to this board! Sorry to see you here as non of us really should be in this situation. but the good news is we all understand what each other is going throug.

i had my op 25 September. 5&1/2 weeks ago. I felt like I was doing well (after my medicine was changed) until my constipation this week. Now I feel like I've gone backwards a little.

my best advice, keep up the stool softeners and fiber! I don't every want to go through that experience again! 

my skin tag is still there. I feel like it's larger now than pre op. Due to see the surgeon next week so it's going to be brought up, along with still bleeding.

take care and let us know how you get on x

• Posted

Pleased to hear you had a better night and feel a little better. 

Yes my surgeon is available on what's app (private surgeon) so I'm lucky that way as whenever I message he replies within a few minutes.

today after all the stool softener and dulcolax ive now been 4x's. All solid but with a little pain and blood. I think the constipation set me back for sure. I never want to be in that situation again as I just could not expel anything due to the size. What a nightmare. I will religiously take the stool softeners. I'm already taking lots of fruit and veg so don't know what went wrong.

hope work went well and you had no issues x

• Posted

Hi Lisa, omg sounds like you've had a right horrible time!! Like you I'm in pain after a b/m and it can last a few hours. Lucky I've been at home so can jump straight into the bath or use the shower head to clean myself and rest. I dread the day I'm caught short in work or out in public. Also, when I want to go, I have to go!

I've also got 2 skin tags that the surgeon assumes me will go, but if not they can be taken off and is nothing like the operation we've had done. I think this may be the case, as I can't see where they can go, they're too big!

My surgeon said it would be painful for 2/3 wks, I didn't realise the recovery would be this long (I'm now 5wks), nor did I know all the complications that go with it. I'm still traumatised by the whole ordeal.

Carl x

• Posted

Hi Car,

Omg I really hope i have no more ops in that area ! I couldn't cope .

The pain has stopped now , but I dread that awful feeling ! I'm so glad I found this site , it has helped me though my ordeal !

I hope that you don't have to have tags removed , I can't think of anything worse .

Lisa xx

• Posted

Hi Sam,

That is my worst fear constipation, so I'm wondering if I should stay on softeners for ever ! I am petrified of them falling back down again like last time !

Were you still on softeners when you became constipated?

I hope you feel well again now !

Sometimes I feel I take 1 step forward and 2 back.

Lisa xxx

• Posted

Hi Lisa,

Yes, Monday evening I had quite bad diarrhoea so on Tuesday I didn't take any stool softeners. Did not have BM Tuesday (I assumed as up half the night with diarrhoea). Wednesday morning no BM. Took one laxative with lunch as felt heavy. By Wednesday evening was in awful state. Took stool softener and then 2 more laxatives. Story is above. But as of now. Including the worst morning of my life at 4am, I've been on the toilet 5x. I'm assuming it's all the softeners and laxatives from yesterday kicking in.

i will always take stool softeners at this rate!

yes, I agree, this week I'm also on 2 steps back 😳. But good news is swelling back to pre constipation levels and pain back the same as before (or no /very little).

What a life xx

• Posted

Hi Lisa!  Nobody can really tell you whether to stay on softeners or not because, as my surgeon says, everyone has a different "normal" for their bowel movements.  I have taken softeners (lactulose) for 15 years, on the recommendation of the surgeon, after surgery for a bowel prolapse.  There are no problems in taking them long term.  Since my haemorrhoid surgery on August 4th I am taking double the previous dose to be sure that I don't get constipated again.  What you don't want to take long term or permanently are laxatives because I've been told that it makes your bowel get lazy and completely dependent on them.  As your surgery is so recent I think you should take whatever you need to prevent the awful pain of hard faeces, but as the days, weeks go by you will be able to tell what you need to keep your bowel movements ok and it will be an individual thing, not the same as anyone else may need.  

• Posted

Hi Dee ,

Now today I have diarrhoea, I'm not sure if Iv over done the prunes and grapes ! I Haven't taken any laxatives at all through my recovery just 2 softerners ! Maybe I should just ditch the prunes ! I'm very fearful of constipation! Thanks for your advise . Much appreciated

Lisa xxx

• Posted

Sam it's awful life right now , I was always out and about and I really haven't gone far since my first op on 7th oct ! My husband keeps saying he will take me for a meal when I'm better , all I want to eat is All bran and soup at the moment ! I can't even think of having anything but that right now !

Hope you carry on having good days!

Right now every day is different !

🙈

Lisa xxx

• Posted

Hi Lisa. Welcome. I am completely taumatized right now. I've just had my second BM. I find that I can only stand the pain if I do it in my sitz bath. Then immediately get the feces off my behind and jump in a hot bath. I had not had a pain killer in about 6 hours before this one so I'm stuck in the bath right now. Hopefully you won't have to have anymore surgeries. Now that I'm brace enough to touch the area I feel one that feels like a hard hemorrhoid. I don't go back to the doctor for one more week. I am however gonna call today and see if they can change my pain killers. Hope you have an easy day.

• Posted

Hi Melissa ,

I hate having to feel around that area, incase i feel something that shouldn't be there ! What you can probably feel is the open wound maybe ! I'm sure mine has shrunk a little ! But I'm not sure !

The bath does help , also a hot water bottle helps a lot ! In hospital I was given ice packs which also helps but I was getting ice burns! But it took the pain away!

This is the most traumatic time Iv ever had to live through ! The doctors don't really tell you what to expect ! I hope you get some answers from the doc !

Lisa xxx

• Posted

The nurse called me back and I told her the pain killers weren't helping at all. She said she didn't know if he would switch them or not. I'm waiting on a call back from one of them. The doctors really don't prepare you for how bad this will be. I'm only supposed to take four pain pills a day. I'm adding ibuprofen and Tylenol to that. I actually think they are helping better then the pain killers. Lisa, I'm trying not to touch the area that much cause it scares me lol. I'm so worried I will need more removed. I honestly don't know that I could do this again. I don't know how you've done it twice. I wish I could sleep thru the next few weeks. I have had my kidneys shut down in the past and lots of surgeries and this pain tops all of those. At least we have each other t commiserate with. Xoxo

• Posted

My story of my first op is a bit of s horror story that I can't believe it happened to me ! I woke up not feeling good and rolling round the bed ! I knew myself that something wasn't right ! But I woke up from second and all the horrendous pain I was in for 11 days was gone ! I just had a very painful ring and very uncomfortable! Thankfully another doc done my op ! I never want to see the first doc ever again ! I'm hoping you are just feeling normal open wound ! Will the doc phone you back?

It really is an awful time ! Yes I'm so glad for this post as I would have been going out oft mind ! Xx

• Posted

Oh Lisa that is awful. The doctors nurse did call me back. He wrote me a prescription for a way stronger medicine (dilaudid). I can take it twice a day and if I have break through pain I can use what he already gave me in between. My hubby is gonna go fill that for me after lunch. I just cannot believe how bad the pain is. I swear I have a ring of fire down there. I'm trying to keep my sense of humor about all of this. Never thought that all I would think about is BMs and my booty hole lol.

• Posted

Haha I keep giggling to myself about it , I don't know why as it's just awful ! But if I don't laugh I will cry 😭!

I hope new meds work ! I have ring sting as Iv been to much today ! I don't know what else I can do other than run a bath and grab my hot water bottle !

😳 Xx

• Posted

To be honest, excluding the last two days with the constipation, I don't know I have had the op really. It's just when the urge for a BM comes along then my brain goes "brace yourself" and then I think what's the pain going to be like this time. Before the diarrhoea (Monday) previous couple of days I had stopped bleeding with a BM. But after this constipation I've started again 😟. I do feel like things are improving, slowly 😊

• Posted

Hot water, my sitz bath, and my bath tub are my best friends right now. I'm writing this as I sit on my sitz bath lol

• Posted

You give me hope. Do you have any warnin before a BM? I feel like someone sets me on fire down there and I just have to hurry up and get to the toilet. It scares me how long you have been having pain with a BM. I will be afraid to leave my home until the pain with BM is gone. I immediately have to soak in a hot tub after it's over.

• Posted

oh Lisa that's hard.

have to admit apart from first couple of days I've been eating my normal diet. My surgeon did say to me like 20x no spicy food for couple of months as it irritates the intestines lining (I ignored him as I live on spicy food and he knows it). I've been leading my normal life after post op after a week with work and socially, except the allergic reaction to the hydrocortisone being a real pain and soreness plus the constipation this week. 

I do feel I'm getting better but I'm not happy with the swellings/lumps I have still. It's 5&1/2 weeks and I expected them to of nearly vanished, which they haven't 😳

• Posted

I had to eat some French fries last night and that helped my nausea so much. I think my food before didn't have enough substance. I'm still gonna take it easy but did have a mild taco for lunch.

• Posted

Don't worry so much. For me within a week I had learnt to take my stool softeners at lunch time which then meant I was going to the toilet at 6-7am and just the once a day and then I could go out in the day. It's only been these last couple of days with the diarrhoea/constipation that I had trouble. But the four weeks in between I had no problems except a little pain.

For me after about two weeks the bowel movement pain came on about 30 seconds before the BM and then as soon as I had finished expelling itstopped. It's the same now after this awful constipation.

It does get better,

i tent now to have a few minutes before a BM to find a toilet too! Not as desperate as I was! 

But no pain in between BM's! To be honest now and pre diarrhoea/constipation if you had met me you wouldn't of known I'd had the op!

• Posted

I really love spicy food to , I don't know when I'm going to start eating normal again ! I have it In my head that I will start leading a normal life next week I hope I can , I can't just sit on my sofa and laze around the house any more!

With 2 children I have to get back to some sort of normality ! One good thing Iv lost 20 lb haha 😂 xx

• Posted

I also only used the sitz bath for maybe 10 days. But I know some have used it much longer. I think that's because they had more extensive surgery than I had so their healing is a longer process. Everyone is different and you have to do what is right for you.

• Posted

Omg 20lb? I could do with that!

but yes I love on spice but you have to be careful as it causes inflamed intestines. If my surgeon tells me that one more time I'll scream at him!

• Posted

I hope that I lose some weight during this lol. That would definitely be a bonus.
    • Posted

Hello ladies. When I first looked down below I thought I'd been cut with a ginger bread biscuit cutter lol & I had 2 skin tags, 1 of which is large & I thought was another Hemorroid & I felt traumatised for days. Healing has helped & it doesn't look quite so gruesome. Told that these shud go down, but who knows. If not I will have have to get them taken off, otherwise I will never be able to get intimate with anyone again!!

I dread going the loo, it's still painful & can hurt several hours later. I think I'm doing ok one day & the next I have a set back. Today I'm feeling quite good.

Prior to the op I was taken fibogel (fibre sachet) 2 x day & have been told to continue this, as this keeps the stools large but soft. I've also been taking stool softeners 2 x day. My surgeon has said I can now stop this now (5wks post op), but I'm nervous to; as I've recently started bleeding after a b/m & it still hurts during. So I'm going to keep taking them for another couple of wks at least.

My surgeon didn't prescribe laxatives but my GP has, but I want my bowels to get working and not become lazy (like one of u said before), so I will only use this if I have to, for example; if I've not opened bowels for a couple of days or if I was going on a business trip.

I've been eating normally since day one - unfortunately I've not lost weight, I've probably gained as I'm doing no exercise what so ever!!

Probably because I'm having a good day, I do feel positive. May feel different later when I'm sat on the loo with a towel between my teeth lol. Take care x

• Posted

Carl- I haven't had the nerve to look at it yet. I remember a few years ago when I decided to look at my hemorrhoids during a flare and let's just say some things you cannot unsee lol. So I'm gonna give this a few weeks before I look. My surgeon prescribed miralax. I added stool softeners on my own and then he said that if I hadn't went in two days to take a laxative. I took one yesterday evening and have had two BM. No diarrhea thankfully from it. I have IBS so my bowels act crazy most of the time anyways. I'm shocked that I've not constantly been in the bathroom so far. Have you experienced any gas pain? This afternoon my belly is kind of hurting and it feels like gas. I've tried to use the bathroom with no luck this afternoon. So I'm guessing just gas ugh! Glad you are having a good day.

• Posted

Hi Melissa. Passing gas was really painful at the beginning and some times still is. I think the fibogel gives me wind as well.

I've just had a b/m & although slightly painful to pass, it was a bit easier than the others, but it hurts a little now. Although I still can't wipe myself clean, the skin tags make it impossible because they are tender. I have to use the shower head. I really don't know how I will manage away from home!!

As for having a look (gulp) I waited a couple of wks and was traumatised. Thankfully, it does look like the ginger bread man shape is fading ha! X

• Posted

I broke down and took some gas x because my stomach was killing me. I just started the new pain killer and still had to take one of the others with it. But getting a little relief now. Literally laying here dreading the next BM lol. Hope you ginger bread man heals quickly 😂None of us will probably ever look at a ginger bread cookie the same again!

• Posted

Hahaha !!

I know what you mean about fearing the next b/m, it kind of takes over your mind!! I'm still in pain after that last one!! Hope your stomach feels better soon.

• Posted

Well guys I have good news and bad news. I have had to BMs tonight. I think you all are the only ones who can understand why that is both good and bad news. Now I'm laying here in pure agony. I can't wait until the day a BM doesn't seem like it's gonna take me out of this world.

• Posted

Melissa, you are fresh from your operation, it will be a different story I'm sure next week! I've just woke up for the day and had very very soft stool thankfully only hurt when passing. But I'm itchy now ugh! 

• Posted

Good morning all , 😀

Hope you all had a good night sleep ,

Well Iv woke up feeling great but I know what's coming !

Samantha god the itching is awful ! I use wet wipes it hells !

Xx

• Posted

I can only pass gas on the loo , the b/m are so painful But each one is better !

Xx

• Posted

Oh gosh, I wish! Prior to this operation my odd gas was quiet, now it's like a trumpet and it's not so controllable! Albeit it is getting less frequent!

• Posted

That's good Lisa, hope you have a good day!

I'm already using sensitive baby wipes! I've started putting my emuaid max on the itchy bits which is helping quite a bit for couple hours 😊

• Posted

Good morning all.

Glad all our bowels are working as they should, it's just getting it through that last but that's the ordeal. I must admit I feel like I've turned a corner. It's not too tender when I squeeze my bum cheeks together & the chopping has gone.

I think I'm going to 'half' listen to my surgeon & instead of coming off the stool softeners altogether, I'm only going to take 1 a day & see how I get on.

I still can't wipe myself down there after a b/m, as its too painful & I have to use the shower. I know this isnt sustainable, so this will have to be my next goal.

Glad we're all feeling slightly better. Have a pain free & easy b/m day smile lol

• Posted

**chapping not chopping ha
    • Posted

Glad you all had a good night. It's 4:30 am here in the states and I have had an easy night as well. The new pain killers have helped me get a good nights rest. I just took another dose. I find that when it's time for me to have a BM I get really itchy right before. Then I go thru the pain of it all and come out at the end not itchy but feel like my tail bone is broken. Last night I laid on my back for a little while after and it seemed to ease that up. I have to work up the nerve to have a BM in the toilet without the sitz bath. The clean up is getting frustrating. I think I will try today. After yesterday I wouldn't mind a poop free day. I didn't go everyday before the surgery. Hope you all have a great day. I'm gonna try to get some more sleep before my family wakes up.

• Posted

I don't know if this is normal recovery but I get a pain /urge and I don't

Know If its gas or b/m ! It wasn't like this especially with gas before op !thats good that you had a good night sleep , I hope you have success without having to use Sitz bath today!

That tail burn will slowly go ! Today k feel like Iv turned a corner , whoop !

It's so good everyone is feeling good 😊 today ! Onwards and upwards hey !! 👏

Xx

Xxx

• Posted

Hi Lisa

Yes I some times think I need the loo but it's just gas. I also get pain when breaking wind. I think it must be the sphincter contracting & because it's swollen we are feeling it more.

I'm waiting for the step back... hope that's not the case & we have all moved on a space on this Hemorroidectomy game board !! Lol x

• Posted

Hi carl

I can't wAit to put all this behind me , literally 😐

I just so tired this week , I don't know why as I'm not doing a lot ! Maybe it's just all hiting hone what I'm going through !

I hope you get confident enough to start wiping , I have been from the start , not hard though ! But I do go through a lot of loo roll !

• Posted

Hi Lisa!  Three months on I still can't always tell if what I'm feeling is gas (wind) or the need for a bm.  This means that I occasionally soil my underwear so I always carry spares if I'm out.  My surgeon did tell me beforehand that after this op. you can end up permanently incontinent!  I certainly don't feel that has happened to me, but I guess I do need to find a toilet more quickly which can be difficult if I'm out and about.  But three months on there's no pain except if the faeces are very large or hard.  I'm sure this is because the anus opening is narrower now. As I posted previously my surgeon told me that this is common and is usually permanent.

i hope your recovery is a lot quicker than the three months that I had.  I really feel for all of you still in recovery.  It is horrendously painful and personally embarrassing, as it's not the sort of detail you can really talk about except with people who are very close to you and understanding - and of course people who have first hand experience!  At 69 years old I began to feel that my life was over and I had gone from being a fit and active senior to one who was incontinent and needed permanent care.  I still feel that many doctors fail to warn people of the possible aftermath, like mine who simply said, "You'll be very sore for two weeks."

To everyone in painful recovery the nightmare does end and I wish you well!

• Posted

Hi Dee ,

3 months ? That is so long it's such a traumatic time isn't it !

I was having issues with wind before my op maybe it was the prolapse ?? But now I can only go on the loo. Not that I'm complaining really as it was getting quite embarrassing really I couldn't control the wind before and it was loud to ! So fingers crossed that problem has stopped !

No I don't think I'm incontinent thankgod !

I think I just have to be patient with this recovery I'm still very early on in recovery and I do feel like a new woman ! Better than I have done for a couple of years ! I always felt very sluggish because of the roids!

It's just this pain after b/m ! But I'm sure in time that will pass. Also the skin tag , I'm hoping that disappears to 🙏

Did I read that you had prolapse 14 yeArs ago ? Is that still ok ? I worry about the future with that ! I had roids and polyps removed and the prolapse lifted !

Xxx

• Posted

In the early days of recovery, did you all bleed a lot after a BM? I had to big ones last night that were soft. But this morning my pads have blood and I had to take a bath to clean off the dried blood on my bottom. Is this normal?
    • Posted

This is something I haven't suffered , but I know that some people do suffer with bleeding !

I hope it calms down for you ! His have your day been ?

Xx

• Posted

Hi Lisa!  had a repair for a bladder and bowel prolapse 15 years ago.  Then surgeon said that it would eventually need doing again and that I should take a small dose of stool softener (lactulose) every night as getting constipated would cause a further prolapse.  The bowel hasn't prolapsed again but the bladder has.  I think this added to my problems after the haemorrhoid surgery although the surgeon assured me it wouldn't be a problem.  

Now im taking stool softener morning and evening to make sure I don't get pain with a bum after the surgery and it seems to be working fine.

i'm really glad I had this website through the really awful time.  I don't really need it for myself now but I still look just in case I can give anyone some advice that will help.  Focus on the light at the end of the tunnel - gradually the light will get bigger and you'll be out the other side!

• Posted

Sorry - the computer self corrected - for bm it wrote bum!
    • Posted

I will stay on the softerners forever as long as they can't do any damage !

I never want the prolapse problem again as it is very painful !

Good that you are ok now ! This site is my lifeline ATM, of course my family and friends have been great! But speaking to you all who have been through it and knowing all the symptoms are normal !

Thanks so much

Xxxx

• Posted

For me I had small amount of bleeding which had stopped 4 days before my constipation episode on Wednesday/Thursday this week.

The constipation cause the most bleeding I have seen so far. But seems to have settled down today 😊

• Posted

Glad it's all settled down today for you and hope that it continues!

Xx

• Posted

I've been laying down all day. Still having the bleeding. I'm trying not to take so many pain meds today and that's going ok. Just taking ibuprofen. Really hoping not to have a BM until tomorrow.

• Posted

I'm definitely not constipated. My two BM last night were a lot but soft. I'm guessing they just irritated the area. I'm not soaking pads with blood but there is a lot more than there was at first. Hoping if I don't have a BM today it will all calm down.

• Posted

Im like that with the meds

I really recommend that you rest as much as possible for the next 2 weeks ! I hope you recover nicely and all this will be behind you !

Oh I bought a V pillow and it helps me so much I take it every where with me !

Xx

• Posted

Hello ladies.

I didn't experience any bleeding, but I did bleed after the last 2 b/m. If you're bleeding a lot, maybe you should get advice. You don't want to become anaemic! Make sure you rest & keep the area clean!

Im feeling a lot better today, but I'm still dreading my next b/m sad

• Posted

Hi - it's been 5wks now. My b/m's are nothing like that 1st one... OMG that is just horrendous... but they are still painful. I think it's coz it's still raw, swollen & possibly the anus is smaller (or not as stretchy) like Dee mentioned. But I can get contractions afterwards which are painful & can last a good couple of hours. That said, the pain is decreasing & it's slowly reducing in time.

Although I think I've healed slow, when I think of how I was 5wks ago, i have done well. Hopefully I will be healed in time for Christmas 🎄

• Posted

I keep praying that by next week I will be miraculously healed lol. I just told my hubby that I really can't believe how bad this hurts. I'm trying to stay in bed and hold as still as possible. Have u tried soaking in Epsom salt? If so does it help any? I was thinking of trying it.

• Posted

I was just soaking in plain water , I found this helped ! I didn't use the Epsom salt !

Next week is a new week! Have u got ice pack or got. Water bottle ? Both work wonders

Xx

• Posted

Oooops i mean hot water bottle *

Xx

• Posted

I keep forgetting to use the ice pack. I just had another traumatic BM and feel that another one is coming. I think I need to skip a dose of miralax today. After I'm done with the toilet I am gonna use an ice pack. Glad you mentioned it.

• Posted

How many Miralax are u taking a day?

I'm just on stool softeners called movicol 2x day ! I'm getting on great with them ! Straight after my op my stools were quite hard I don't know why , but once I was gone from hospital after 4 days they were really soft and had been since ! I pray it continues! 🙏

Hope ice pack works for you !

Xx

• Posted

I drink a cap of the miralax twice a day. But I had added the stool softeners also because I was scared to impacted. I'm gonna quit the stool softeners for a day or two and just do miralax and see how it goes.

• Posted

I just can't leave it on too long or it starts burning me but I will be using one more often!

• Posted

I think you'll find that movicol and miralax are both laxatives.  Neither of them are stool softeners .  Check it out, but that's what I understand from reading the pharmaceutical information.

• Posted

Well there it is, my step back!!! Went the loo late last night, had a painful b/m & ive been in pain all through the night. I've also got some blood & 'yellowish' discharge (not very much). I'm wondering if the b/m opened up the wound, which is why it's sore & weeping?? It's 5.20am & I can't stand the pain so I've had to take some pain relief. I just want this to end!!

Yes Dee you're right; both Movicol & Moralax are laxatives.

• Posted

Oh dear, hope it's not too bad now.

Im up and a bit disappointed I haven't been this morning. Hoping I'm not going to me upmcomstipated again. Normally I go every morning. 

My surgeon told me to take stool softener only if need be laxatives. 

Is there much blood? Sounds like you may have irritated the wound. For me the blood has only been a small amount on the toilet paper except when I had the constipation. 

• Posted

Be constipated..... my typing is bad this morning!
    • Posted

I'm also passing a lot of 'painful' wind. Pain is now easing off a little. I wonder if it's the pressure of wind that has made it ache??

• Posted

I think I would be the most worried about the yellowing color. Does that maybe indicate infection? So sorry you are having a rough time again. Samantha-I only went once yesterday and am worried I may becoming constipated because of the noises my stomach is making and all the wind I'm passing. If I don't go today I will take another laxative just in case. Such decisions torn between not wanting to go again and knowing I have too. 😩 Carl-hope this is a minor setback.

• Posted

Hi, how often do you normally go? For me normal is once a day and I'm back to that schedule with a bit of blood. I guess you'd have to look at your pattern and decide. Just don't leave it too late. For me I had diarreah Monday nothing Tuesday and constipation Wednesday. That experience I never want to repeat! I was shocked how hard the stool was and difficult to pass.

I didn't have any yellow discharge so I'm not sure on that side but yes sounds like an infection if you haven't had it recently then I'd check with the doctor.

• Posted

Yeah I may have to keep an eye on it. I'm trying to think that if I had an open sore on my hand & as it was healing, every day I knocked it, then it could weep due to taking a thin layer of the scab off. So that is what's happening every time I pass a b/m... maybe even wind, as I'm doing some gusts lol. I'm not too worried (yet). It's just painful, like contractions.

Melissa - I've been trying to think about the advice of my surgeon. What you need is good size but soft b/m. I think the fiber will give the 'size' & help prevent the 'passage' getting too small (Stenosis) and the stool softener will help keep it soft & prevent you from becoming constipated and straining.

I was never prescribed laxatives, so I would be worried that this would make your stools too small or even diarrhea, which may be less painful to pass now, but could it cause more problems later on??

• Posted

Aw no carl

I'm so sorry about your step back, I hope it calms down !

My doctor told me movicol is a softerner, I live in Germany so maybe it was Mis communication going on ! What is the name of the softerners that you are taking ?

Xx

• Posted

Hi Lisa, Carl, Melissa!  The stool softener that I take is called lactulose in the uk.  I know it's called duphalac in Spain but I don't know about the U.S.  I have taken 15 ml at night for years and since this surgery I've been taking 15 ml in the morning as well.  It's not a laxative but it's a syrup and it does help soften the stools.  You can buy it over the counter or get it on prescription.  It doesn't give you diarrhoea.

• Posted

Samantha- because of my IBS I sometimes don't go but once a week. He doesn't want me to do that anymore because it's part of the reason I had the hemorrhoids to begin with. And that is usually a painful experience all on its own. So he wants me to use fiber, stool softeners, or laxative whichever it takes to keep it soft and to keep me constant. I think that's why he prescribed the miralax. I added the stool softeners daily because I started miralax before surgery to soften things up and nothing happened so I was worried.

Carl-so far the BMs are soft but big so I think I may be doing good in that department. I did take one dulcolax laxative pill on Wednesday night to get things going. Hopefully won't need that again. After my third BM I have been bleeding a good amount. I'm. It soaking pads or anything (I don't think it's a problem) but of course I worry about the blood.

Lisa- the stool softener that i take is colace. I take three at a time.

Dee- so far the miralax hasn't given me diarrhea either. Hoping that doesn't occur.

I did however wake up in the last half hour with a burn down there so bad that I hopped to the toilet thinking I had diarrhea only to have a lot of hot wind. Can't say I appreciated that much. I do find if I sit in as hot as my skin can stand it hot water it helps soothe that area better then anything else. That's what I do before I sleep. It almost numbs it. Feels wonderful. Hope you all have a great day. Carl- hope you feel better quickly

• Posted

Hi

I will look on the net for softerners they sell here ! I will stay on movicol for the time being as it's working for me and keeping everything soft !

But when I'm healed I will want to take something as I never want to go through this again ! However I'm glad I have you all to talk to ! 😘

Xxx

• Posted

I take Lactulose as well.

I suppose we can all offer our advice & what has been working & there's brilliant tips, but I suppose we are all different & the surgeon is the expert, so you must listen to him/her. Albeit they've not given us the 'full' story on the road to recovery!

I had friends round last night & we had a takeaway & drinking... I've had lots of painful wind & feeling tender. I also had to have an emergency loo run & only just made it - not that I had to go far, but I was very glad I was had home. Then I panicked thinking I'm becoming incontinent - the stress of all this is killing me softly!!

The way the operation was described seemed a piece of cake, just painful for a few weeks, so I thought I could manage it & it never crossed my mind to do any research. On the day of surgery my surgeon just happened to mention 'incontinence' as he got me to sign my rights over before the op. So then, the day of the op, I researched it and came across these forums. I was going to walk out the hospital.... I really wish I had!!

• Posted

Yes I'm so thankful you're all on here too. I've not told a soul about my op, so no-one knows what I am going through & it's hard doing it alone.

Thank you all smile x

• Posted

I haven't touched a drop of alcohol or eaten any takeaways in a month! I'm just to petrified ! I wish I wasn't,

Aw carl I really hope it's just recovery process with your nearly accident, I nearly had accident ti this morning !

You haven't told your family and friends ? They would be really understanding I bet if you did tell them ! I know it's quite embarrassing op but the people Iv told are really understanding and sympathetic!

I think you should talk to your doc about the yellow and the pain ! It will out your mind at ease !

• Posted

Yes I think I will see how things go and if I'm concerned I will try and get an appointment with my surgeon. The last thing I want is to neglect myself & end up with more problems.

Aahh I do hope we all get better sooooon !!

• Posted

Carl I don't know how you've done this without telling anyone. It's all I can think about I think I've would've told someone by now lol. I really never thought my bum hole would be on my mind 24hrs a day. I would definitely keep any eye on the bleeding and yellow stuff and then decide if you need to speak with your surgeon about it. Hope today is a better day for you. I also worry about the incontinence. The only way at this point that I can tell I need to have a BM is it feels like I catch on fire down there and then I have to just get to the toilet. This morning my hubby was on the toilet and I had to run him off of it. My bathroom is my sanctuary as of now. I cannot hold the BM because of the pain it causes. Can't wait until this stops. But I have no notice of needing to go until it's time. I still have not went without my sitz bath. I tried yesterday and thought I would pass out from the pain. Also how long was it before any of you could sleep through the night? I am awake constantly because of the pain. Hopefully the BM that I am currently soaking in the tub trying to forget happened will be my only one today. Ever since I started using the bathroom the bleeding is going on. I'm wearing a pad now that is close to the looks of a diaper. I am also so glad I found you guys on this forum. No one can truly know what your going thru unless they have done it also. Right now I say my sitz bath and this forum are my best friends lol. Have a great day all!

• Posted

Carl, I would def try and see your surgeon if it hasn't cleared up after the weekend. Wow, do you have a close friend you can tell in case you ever need any help? For me a couple of friends and my husband know. Haven't told anyone else. Hope you enjoyed your takeaway and drinking. I did the same and I'm suffering the effects of it today. Thankfully not in the anal area though. 

All, in terms of stool softener I take agiolax after lunch and it come in little granules so I take a tablespoon full. I also add a tablespoon of psyllium to my smoothie for breakfast. My surgeon had said to only take laxative if I was constipated. I have to say, like Dee, the experience of constipation and trying to remove the stool myself was frightening. I wondered if stenosis had set in. I would say my stools are not as wide as they were before the op but I had thought this was due to the softeners. Now I'm wondering how you would tell the difference. They're not pencil thin either. What a life talking about stool width 😳

Hope your all all having a good day. I have had one stool today and it was less pain to yesterday and the itch see,s to have calmed down. Still a little blood on the tissue.

Evening is fast approaching here and it's dark by 5, feel like the day has flown over. Take care everyone x

• Posted

Oh dear Melissa, it is still very early days for you. I think my experience was slightly different o yours as mine was all external. For me I was able to sleep through the night from day one (with the pain killers I had at the time) and didn't have an issue that side so sorry can't advise there. 

Yoir sitz bath bath will be your friend for some time I would say. For me I used mine for 10 days and then I stopped using it as I did not need to. I'd just about also stopped bleeding then. I was able to use the toilet direct from day 1/2 and only used the sitz bath afterwards to soak with a bit of betadine in it. But to be honest I had to run to the kitchen each time and wait for a kettle to boil in order to get hot water (non in my sink in bathroom and takes a bit of time to come through in the shower). By the time I had done that I was sitting in the loo so really I didn't have time for it. When I had an allergic reaction to the hydrocortisone I used it a couple of times then and again I used it when I had the constipation to see if it would help soften up the area to stretch more (don't hunk it did). I would say to keep using it as long as you feel the need to.

I also feel I don't have too much notice, once I feel the need to go I have a few minutes only. I did have one accident when I had the diarreah as I just couldn't hold it. I made a 20 minute car journey home then ran into the house and lost it as I pushed the bathroom door open. I didn't know I had diarreah as I'd already been 4x after the constipation and I think that was because I had taken 3 laxatives. 

How heavy is your bleeding? Mine is more spots on the toilet paper/wipes when I wipe. I haven't had any heavy bleeding but did have more blood with the constipation.

• Posted

Ladies you are all my life line!! I probably would of had to tell someone if I hadn't found this forum. The whole ordeal is traumatic & it does help to know that others are going through similar, as it reassures you that this is the 'normal' healing process. Obviously some have it easier & others harder, but we all seem to be the same.

I have rested all day today & just had a lovely hot bath, so I feel a lot better. There isn't any more 'stuff' coming out either, so hopefully all is ok. I definitely think the takeaway & alcohol last night set me back & I wouldn't advise that lol.

It just petrifies me being in work & if I need the loo. I work in a big organisation, so there's always people in & out the loos. I do get a little notice (max 5 mins), but then all of a sudden it's there & I have to go!! Lucky I've not had to go in work yet & im praying that when the time comes, I will be more healed & able to deal with it.

Its bonfire/fireworks night in the UK so I'm off out with friends... no drinking!! At least I've been the loo a couple of times today so I don't have that on my mind!! Enjoy your night & happy healing everyone x

• Posted

The bleeding is enough that it gets on my of every time but it doesn't soak it. When I wipe I use baby wipes and I always have to wipe a few times to clean the blood up. At this point I don't think it's anything I have to worry about but I do wonder if I pooped a stitch during one of those earlier BMs. Who knows. The paper about after care that I have says I only need to seek medical care if I am soaking thru more then two pads an hour. It is only 9 in the morning here in the states. This surgery is a little depressing. I wish I could go for a ride or something but my bottom hurts to bad. I think I will have a visitor or two this weekend so maybe that will lift my spirits. My two little boys play soccer and they are having playoff games today. Hate that I'm missing that. I think if I felt there was even a tiny bit of progress a day I would be happier. As of now I just feel like I stay the same. I'm trying to cut back on the pain pills a little. I took to many at first and will run out if I'm not careful. Boy what a pain in a$$ this surgery is. Literally lol!

• Posted

Hi all

Im still up through the night but it has been less this past few days! Iv had a month from hell , after the first op on 7th I didn't have no sleep what so ever! But since 19th second op I have been having quite good sleeps only waking up a couple of times !

Oh I'm so upset I just tryed going out for a bit of shopping no use though I thought I was going to pass out and my bum started aching I had to go back to car and lay down ! When is this Going to end !!

Oh well back to resting again with my hot water bottle !

Xx

• Posted

Carl, I'm pleased to hear the yellow discharge has stopped 🎉

Its interesting that we seem to get about the same notice (5mins). I really do hope this improves with time 😳.

dont worry too much about the toilet at work. What I did at the start was to try and retrain my system on what time I went. Straight after surgery my surgeon had said to take the stool softener in the evening. I did for the first week. But I also found I couldn't go out of the house until the earliest 11.30am the next day. So I started to take it after my lunch and now I go between 6-7am which means I can go out. I'm not sure how often your taking them if this will make a difference? My surgeon told me only once a day.

Enjoy your evening out, I'm just waiting for the fireworks to set my dog off! They're illegal here but that means absolutely nothing! 

• Posted

Melissa, it sounds like your bleeding is within the 'papers' expected limits so that's good. Hopefully each day it will become less and less! Has your pain not started to decrease a little? 

Do do you have a donut cushion? It's one of those cushions with a hole in the centre. I bought one at discharge and it was a life saver for home and

car over the first two weeks 😊

Good luck to your boys with the football. Maybe someone can send you some photos or a video so you can watch a little too?

For me what I found with the pain meds is that they build up over time, but if I forget to take one or take it late then the pain can set in. What are you taking now? Just be careful not to come off them too soon as your body does need the, at first. I stayed the first night in hospital and had something in my drip. After that my surgeon asked me to take Panadol advance. It has a slightly different formula to the other panadol's and he was insistent it had to be this one. 

Hope you have a better day today and start to see a little improvement. Do remember you have only just had your surgery so take it easy and try and rest as much as possible x

• Posted

Hi Samantha

I don't get notice when I need to go I have to go ! Things are so different to how they were before op ! Will life Ever be normal Ägäin ?

I thought I was constipated last night as my stomach was really hurting and I had shooting pains all up my back side ! But I was ok this morning!

Did you take extra laxatives when you were ?

Xx

• Posted

Oh dear Lisa, please take it easy. My surgeon said no lifting anything more than a light kettle for 6-8 weeks! Can you get away with something similar?

Try just small walks, 15 mins to start with. Try and not over do it. I did feel like it took a good month to walk without my mind on my bottom all the time! I also didn't take my bag, just my purse and keys so I wasn't carrying too much. Can you also shop online? I know it's different but perhaps if you can for a little while and then you can concentrate your walks on somewhere close to the house and not for too long?

Take care and I hope the hot water bottle is helping you x

• Posted

Hi carl ,

So glad it's all calmed down and the yellow has stopped ! It's amazing how much a nice hot bath helps !

Have a good Night at the fireworks 💥

Xx

• Posted

Oh no! You poor thing. Glad to hear the sleeping gets better. Your body probably needs extra time to heal since you've been thru two surgeries. Right now I still can't sit down properly so I wouldn't venture out anywhere. I will have to see the surgeon Thursday and that will probably be my first outing. Hope you feel better

• Posted

Today is the first day my pain feels a little better. It's not a big improvement but it is indeed an improvement. I do have a donut cushion just have not felt comfortable enough to sit on it. I am taking dilaudid twice a day and I have norco to take for break thru pain. I'm actually finding ibuprofen seems to help better then the norco. My husband will take pictures of the kids for me and hopefully some videos. I am staying in bed and resting all the time. I get up for the bathroom and to eat. I stand up to eat at this point lol. You and Carl both say you have about a five minute notice in going to the bathroom. That is more then I get so hopefully it jut slowly improves and will be longer amount of time eventually. I hope!!!

• Posted

I have a supermarket across the road from me , but today I wanted to venture a little further and get my daughter new ballet shoes , My husband was with me luckily and said I started to look a little pale and flustered ! I just thought it wasn't a big deal doing something so small !

I have started to take my little dog on really quick walks , but I think today was too much !

Oh yes hot water bottle is great 👍

X

• Posted

I have one of them ring pillows but I haven't used it yet I still can't put any pressure in that area I sit or lay on my side !

It's a great life right now isht it , glad you feel a bit better today ! It can only get better now each day !

Good luck with trying to go on toilet without Sitz bath !

Xx

• Posted

Hi Lisa,

I certainly hope life will improve as it's not ideal for any of us.

I had diarrhoea Monday night and thought this is why I didn't go Tuesday morning. By Wednesday morning when I didn't go my stomach started to swell. I took one laxative with lunch. Then around 9.30pm I was in touch with my surgeon and he said to take two laxatives then. So in total I had 3! Surgeon said that one is not enough! Otherwise I don't take laxatives just the lunchtime stool softener.

hope the pains have gone now? x

• Posted

Pleased to hear your pain is slowly improving 😊. I don't know the medicine brands you mentioned as I don't encounter them here. But if one works that's great 😊

Pleased to hear you will get to see pics of the kids. It's hard when your unable to make these events.

My doctor had me walking a little from day one. He said I needed to keep walking gradually a bit more each day. Did your surgeon give you any advice here? I've to be careful of any exercises I do that can stretch it as I do go to the gym with cardio and weight training. 

I think the notice time is slowly improving. I hope this will apply to you too.

Try and not make it the focus of the day (I know it's hard) x

• Posted

Yes pain has calmed down a bit ,it's knocked me back a bit ! I hope this is my step back and I get back on track tomorrow again !

Im wondering when I can start exercising running swimming and driving again ! I'm thinking this rate will be after Christmas now ! I hope not !

Since your set back with constipation have you been ok since ?

Xxx

• Posted

Try and take it easy. Did you get the ballet shoes?

I too have a dog but she is big and needs a bigger walk. My husband has been away for 9 days and so I've had no choice but to be the dog walker 😳. Can't wait for him to get back tonight! Take the walking slowly as it's not long since you had your operations x

• Posted

Fingers crossed your back on track. Small improvements daily 😊

I think running and swimming may take 6-8 weeks. In the gym I use the rowing machine and elliptical trainer for cardio and my surgeon said these two were ok. Have to admit with my cushion I was driving day 2 😳. But it wasn't too comfortable. I'm normally very active so I was going a little stir crazy not getting out. 

Constipation was Wednesday evening/ Thursday morning. 4 bm's Thursday morning. With more blood than before. Friday seemed to be a lot better and I had my regular morning BM, less blood. Today my usual morning BM this time no blood. Pain is just very momentary for me and not too bad. On this note I'd say I'm back on track 😊xx

• Posted

I still can't go to bathroom without the sitz bath. Tried again with no luck. Also can't sit on donut yet. I did lay on my back and kind of got my rear elevated and it felt heavenly for the few minutes that it lasted. I could almost pretend I never had this awful surgery lol! But then reality hit and I had to use the bathroom again. These our the days of our lives lol!

• Posted

The dilaudid is an extra strong pain pill that I only get to take twice a day. The norco just doesn't work lol. My doctor didn't really give me any instructions about exercise. His only instruction was if I didn't have a BM in two days to take laxative. If I hadn't found these forums I wouldn't have been at all prepared. I have folded some laundry and walked inside my house a little bit but that's about it at this rate. I wish I could go for a ride but still too uncomfortable to sit down. I had my first visitor today and that was nice. I enjoyed it. Now I'm waiting for my children to get home so I can find out if they won or lost their games? I'm ready to see if they will go to the championship games.

• Posted

Ok, well I would focus on the meds that are working for you 😊. My surgeon said no lifting for 6-8 weeks, to avoid spicy food as it irritates intestinal lining and his instructions for the medicines/stool softeners. I'm going to see him tomorrow so will see what he says about the skin tag left over.

Nice to hear you have a visitor, trying to get back to normal life is important. 

Fingers crossed for the boys x

• Posted

I was so active before to , but I just have no energy , next week I have told myself I will get behind the wheel wether it happens is a different story !

Aw that's good that everything is back on track with you too !

I think I will start with swimming or something , then work my way up again ! I feel sorry for my children , my daughter said to me today ' mum I hate seeing you like this I want you back to normal now , she is only 11 !

Xx

• Posted

Excuse my spelling in so sorry 😐

Whether * xx

• Posted

Donut is still a no no for me to !

I just love that feeling of comfort even if it is a short time ! I sometimes think aw it's not that bad then I get pain again lol

Xxx

• Posted

Yes I needed some normal activity. It really lifted my spirits. My oldest child lost his game so he is done for this season. My youngest won his so he will have another playoff game this week.
    • Posted

I know. I wish I could just be pain free for like a whole hour that would be great. My boys are 9 and 7 and they keep saying they hope I feel better soon. I could tell they were a little disappointed that I couldn't go to their games today. And when they went to church Wednesday I heard them ask my hubby if I was going. Their dad gives them more junk food then me so I'm sure they are loving that part lol!

• Posted

Aw bless , they are not used to seeing their mummy's so poorly ! My son is 12 and he keeps telling me to sit back down and telling me not ti move !

Haha husband is being very patient too ! 😂 (That is a big no no )

Xxx

• Posted

Lol. My hubby has been patient too. I can tell he is ready for this ordeal to be over with. I will have to say I'm enjoying him being the one to do the everyday things around the house. He is getting to see what I deal with. I heard him tell the boys to make sure they rinsed their plates when they put them in the sink. He's learning 😂

• Posted

Iv swapped my hot water bottle back to ice pack ! It is helping but my cheeks are frozen !

The things we do for some comfort ❄️Xx

• Posted

My pain seemed less this morning but this evening nothing is helping it again. I did ice. I took meds and just got out of a hot tub. I'm so sick of this already. This recovery is really hard. 😩😭

• Posted

It is horrendous, I hate it !

It's the b/m that sets the pain off all the time ! I just need a break I'm exhausted !

I hope tomorrow brings a better day for you and me !

Good nite speak tomorrow

Xx

• Posted

Thank you Lisa. When I am wiping (patting) twice now I have what looks like a small blood clot mixed with green mucus. I see doctor Thursday. Should I worry about this before then? I will speak with y'all when it's morning for you.

• Posted

I really think that you should speak with him sooner than Thursday , I didn't have any blood so it's hard to say if that's normal !

Have you tryed hot water bottle it's very soothing I manage to have a fairly good night sleep with it under my bum !

Xxx

• Posted

I am using the hot water bottles and the ice packs. And it seems if I go soak in a hot tub before bed that helps. I think the problem is I have had to many BMs between yesterday and today. I have had 4 today. I'm skipping the dose of miralax tonight and will take again in the morning but I think my butt needs a break lol.

• Posted

I've experienced blood the last few b/m & pain afterwards is really testing my mental health. Not sure why I've suddenly started to bleed!

With regards to the mucus you're getting, I would say any colour mucus is not good - is there an odour with it? If so, this could be an infection & you may need antibiotics. Did I read that you hadn't been prescribed any????As a precaution, I was prescribed antibiotics as soon as I left the hospital.

At least you're back this week to see your surgeon, but like Lisa says, if you can see him before then, that would be better!

If you are losing a lot of blood, I would be concerned about that, but again this needs to be discussed with your surgeon, as he might not think it a problem!

This is a major operation & such a traumatic experience that I think people should be warned and have a minimum 6wks off work. Funny how we've all been told 2wks & yet that's no where near being healed!!

Hope you all get a decent sleep tonight - night x

• Posted

Huh 2 weeks , if anything I'm in more pain now than I was when I first had it done ! Why don't they tell us how long the real recovery is ??

Melissa I was going to say it may be an infection ! I would deffo speak with surgeon before Thursday !

This recovery is really testing my patience! I'm getting very frustrated and irritated 😤!

Tomorrow is a new day I hope it brings a better day !

Xx

• Posted

No I wasn't prescribed any antibiotics. I've been doing some Internet research and apparently a lot of people have pus drainage while healing. Mine doesn't have a smell and the blood seems to have slowed down now. I guess I was just shocked with all of this because this morning I felt as if I had taken a baby step towards healing. Yea two weeks is crazy. I can't imagine. My mom wants my family to travel to her home four hours away for thanksgiving at the end of the month and Idk if I will be able to have a BM without the sitz bath at that time lol. I'm so glad I am a stay at home mom and don't have to work. I do however homeschool my children and we have this coming week off but they will have to do stuff the next week. We may be doing school out of mommys bed lol

• Posted

I'm gonna keep watching throughout tomorrow and see how it goes and if it's still happening I will call surgeon Monday. My surgeon didn't tell me anything. If I hadn't found all the forums on the net I would not have know what to expect. I'm only on my fourth day of recovery but this is a frustrating recovery. I can't imagine when I get as far along as you all are. I have had c sections and been able to get around better then this the day after then I can now. I stayed in bed most of the day today and will do the same tomorrow. Hopefully I will see more progress. Have a good night. It's about 7pm for me. Idk how late it is for you all.

• Posted

I know I searched the net so much during my first weeks , then I decided to join in this conversation, I don't know what I would have done !

It's 1.15 for me ! I live in Germany, my pain has finally settled down !

Xx

• Posted

I'm so glad to have this conversation. Wow Germany. I would love to go to Germany one day. I want to travel the world. I'm glad your pain is settled down and I hope you get a good nights rest.

• Posted

Hi All, hope today is going to be a good day for all.

Melissa, your operation was only a few days ago, try not to do too much too soon. I'm sure the kids had fun playing their football games, winning or losing, in parents eyes they're all winners! I would contact the doctor is the green mucus hasn't cleared up by Monday. You seem to be having a lot of bm's do you think this is due to all the softeners your taking? For me I was a once a day girl and after the first 3/4 of days post op I was back to a once a day girl. 

Lisa, hopefully you will also have a good day today. One step at a time. Where in Germany are you? I was born in Germany!

Carl, hope your having a better day too. How was your evening out?

i feel guilty now sayin that today my BM didn't hurt (although it was a little softer than I expected) and also no blood 😊. The swelling /skin tag lump thing feels as though it has gone down a little again. I'm off to see my surgeon in an hour so I'll see what he says. 

Hope you all have a good Sunday. First day of the week here so onwards and upwards! x

• Posted

Good morning all

Samantha that is great 👍, don't feel guilty ! It's nice to have some good news about the b/m! I too had a Iain free one this morning, so I hope it continues! I'm in the Darmstadt area , we have been here 5 years and love it ! Good luck with your check up !

Melissa I hope you had a good night sleep , and the bleeding and yellowing stops , also good luck with the b/m without the Sitz bath !

Carl how was your night at the fireworks 💥? I hope you had a pain free good one !

Lets see what Sunday brings shall we 😊

Xx

• Posted

Good morning everyone. Well y'day I had another b/m & there was quite a lot of blood & pain afterwards. I took some pain relief as I was going out & as time went on it got better. I've had a full night painless sleep & this morning I feel really good. I don't even feel any pain when I squeeze my bum cheeks together & the tags appear to have reduced a little. Here's hoping I've turned a corner (please).

Have people noticed that there seems to be a jump in recovery rather than a day by day healing??

Melissa you are very early days, but it may be worth asking for a course of antibiotics, I was prescribed

• Posted

Ooops sent too early lol

I was prescribed metronidazole as a precaution.

Good luck at your appointment today Samantha.

Lisa sounds like you've had a turning point... I'm looking forward to a painfree b/m one day!!

Enjoy your Sunday ladies x

• Posted

Carl, that's good news. Hope the bleeding and pain lessen for you.

My surgeon called the lump a bridge of skin which he said they have to leave between external hemorroids. Said it will lesson and disappear in time 😊. All looking good, continue current regime diflacon 500 and the varixinal gel couple more weeks and avoid constipation. Back in couple weeks 😊

• Posted

Hi Melissa

How are you today ?

Did you manage to get a good sleep ,

I hope the blood and yellow will be gone after b/m today !

Xx

• Posted

That's great news Samantha. Are you 5wks (ish) post op like me? I'm getting confused who's who lol

What are the meds for that you're on? Have you been told to keep up with the fibre & stool softener? My surgeon said all I need is the fiber. I'm still taking the softener though as I'm nervous of getting constipated. But I think I'll reduce it to once per day rather than twice and see how I get on.

I feel so much better today. I'm just nervous of another set back after a b/m, but trying hard to keep as positive as I can... mind over matter!! X

• Posted

That's great Samantha ,

It's nice that doc have reassured you about the bridge ! I have something similar and wondering how it will just disappear!

Carl i Hope You Carry on Having a good day and b/m Is less painful today !

I'm having a really good day and hoping it continues ! I hope Melissa is ok !

Xx

• Posted

Hi everyone! I did get a good nights sleep. I woke up around 5am and had to take a pain killer. It is now 7:30 and I think I will need one of my other pain killers. I do think I am taking to much miralax and stool softeners. I skipped last nights dose of miralax and this mornings. I will start taking the miralax again tonight. I think I was having way to many BMs. My body is not used to it. I've never went that much in a week in my life lol. I finally had a BM last night without going in the sitz bath. After I was done I used the sitz bath instead of the full bath to soak it in. This was such an easier process then what I've been doing. It didn't feel great but wasn't awful. I didn't noticed anymore of the green stuff after that last time of seeing it so here's hoping that's over with. My family will be headed to church today so I will be home resting. That's all I do anyways lol. I'm glad you all seem to be doing good.

• Posted

Carl, great to hear your feeling better today. Think I'm a little ahead of you as my op was 25 Sept. 

my meds are dafflon 500 and varixinal gel. Yes I still take once a day a stool softener and eat lots of fiber. 3L of water a day.

Lisa, yes the surgeon said it will just reabsorb into the surrounding skin!

Melissa, great news the mucus has cleared up. Yes that's how I use the sitz bath, after the toilet so a good move for you to progress to. Take it easy while your family are out, everything is still very recent for you.

well it's evening here and I have to cook dinner. Enjoy your days x

• Posted

Hello - can I ask if anyone has been brave & had a close look down below?? I've just had a look & wow the wound is still red raw. No wonder it's still painful.

I thought by now (5wks on) it would of been paler & maybe have a layer of skin forming on it. I wonder if our surgeons meant 2 years rather than weeks to recover 😱 X

• Posted

I looked today. I did look good or up close but I didn't see redness. I seen what looked like a bunch of hemorrhoids. I know people are lumpy after the surgery but of course I have touched the lumpy area and most feel soft so I see how that could be swelling but I have one that is hard and hurts to be touched. I don't know what normal is anymore. I do know my body is tired of laying in the bed. I still can't just sit in a chair so my hips are hurting. I told my hubby today that if I don't heal up soon I will need hip replacement surgery lol. I'm sick of this. I can't imagine how y'all feel being so far out from the surgery and still having problems. 😢

• Posted

Haha I know what you mean. I think the skin tags have gone done but question if it's because I'm now use to them!! I do look really red, but I did have a lamp shining on the spot. I do feel a lot better, but starting to get anxious of that next b/m.

They do recommend you keep moving, you need the blood to circulate down there, as its good for healing (apparently!).

We'll all be rocking in a corner if our bums don't hurry up & heal soon!!!

Right bed time, night all x

• Posted

Hi Carl, I do often and have done since about day 2/3. For me up till couple of weeks ago when I was allergic to the first set of creams I looked red raw. Now since couple of weeks everything is all cleared up and it's just the swelling/bridge that looks out of place for me.

hope you heel soon x

• Posted

Hi Melissa, I was like that with the one swelling / bridge being sore and hard. It's softening now and going down. Where the hemorroid's were removed initially I had two small white lumps which seem to be going away too.

hope your hips feel better soon, it's still early days x

• Posted

Hi everyone! Y'all are probably all asleep it's about 9pm for me. I have had a pretty easy day except for the three BMs I had. But this evening the part that felt like another hemorrhoid started itching and got bigger. It was a hard little knot. Well I read a woman's experience with this and she said she filled condoms with water and froze them because it made the perfect shape to just lay inside the butt crack. I had been using the ice pack but it wasn't having a major effect on me. So I decided why not and filled condoms and froze them. I have been laying here for about 20 minutes with it and that hard spot has went down so much. It isn't even hard anymore. Also I'm not itching at this point. Idk if I've just left it so long that I am numb or what but this is the best I have felt all week. Carl- I think it would feel great on your raw bum. Lisa- I know the ice pack is working for you also. I hope you all had a pain free evening and are getting good rest. Also I didn't use any miralax or stool softener today and still had three BMs. I need a day off from my bowels lol. Goodnight!

• Posted

Hi Samantha. Tonight has been a lot better. This ice pack is really helping everything. Best night I've had so far. I think tomorrow I will get my hubby to take me for a ride. I need to see something besides my house. How long did you wait before you were able to just sit down normally?

• Posted

Melissa, an alternative if you do take have condoms in is to use a washing up glove - you can then break off the fingers and use the same 😊. Enjoy your evening.

• Posted

Hi Melissa,

I'm a very active kinda person. I used my donut from day 2 and I was out driving albeit slightly uncomfortable with it from day 3 😳. My surgeon said it was important to keep walking/moving. I have to admit I was back doing gentle cardio/weights in the gym at 2 weeks. My husband had to go away for 10 days just after 2 weeks so I was home alone and just had to get on with it. I had pre bought as much food etc as possible. I'd say it took about 4 weeks for me not to think about my bum when I went out! Mainly after the allergic reaction episode. Everything seemed to settle down once the cream was changed. I'm now about 6 weeks & 1 day and back in the gym 4/5x a week. 

• Posted

That's awesome. I think if tomorrow is like today I will try sitting with the donut. I have walked around the house this week and I have done laundry. Tomorrow I am at least going outside for a while and getting some fresh air. I think I need it for my sanity. I don't think I will drive yet until I'm off the heavy pain killers. Today I have only taken them twice. Once early morning and tonight after last BM. I went over 12 hrs so that's a start. I'm ready to be over this already.

• Posted

Good morning all,

Yesterday was such a better day for me , The pain is nearly gone, I think because I had the 2 ops close together, I'm taking a bit longer to heal and feel normal , after the first op I knew in myself that something wasn't right. For 11 days it was a struggle putting one foot in front of the other , every bone in my body hurt ! When it all fell babk out I was then 2 days on a wild goose chase looking for answers as my surgeon was on holidays ! ( The whole time in agony ) I finally went back to the hospital where I had it done to be told I needed op asap ! Then after second op I felt like a new woman , I have my off days but I'm sure that's normal ! I have looked and it looks normal ish , I have a little tag there but it's slowly shrinking ! I still get days where I think it's going to all fall back out again , but they are getting less and less , the second sergeon has reassured me that it's all staying put ! The problem was the prolapse wasn't done correctly! But fingers crossed !

Carl have you spoke to doc about the red rawness ? Maybe you need some stronger cream ?

Samantha I can't wait to get my running trainers back on and start my exercising again !

Melissa that is so good that you had a good day , I hope this carries on !

Have a good day all 😊

Xxx

• Posted

Haha Melissa, good idea about using a frozen condom as an ice pack. I doubt I'll be using any for a while so may as well use them this way!!

Samantha/Lisa I'm not on any cream, are you? If so, what is it?

I know I will need a b/m today & im terrified it will come when I'm in work. I so wish I could stay at home today.

Hope everyone continues to improve x

• Posted

The cream in on is dolopsterine!

Also yesterday I used the pile cream I used to use and that also helped alot with the tag Aswell !

I hope you are ok in work !

• Posted

So is it a hydrocortisone cream?? My GP prescribed that for me (different make), but I went red raw & very painful. My surgeon told me not to use it, as not good on open wounds.

Thankfully the tag isn't bothering me any more!

• Posted

Yes it is hydrocirtisone cream ! Has your tag shrunk ?

Sometimes mine feels like another hemriod after b/m ! I hope it isn't !

• Posted

Yes mine have shurnk a little, but I think I will want them taken off in the future if it can be done... & if I ever heal!!

I think mine swelled up from the friction against my underwear. That's when I used the cream, which made me raw & I was told to not use it any more.

• Posted

Carl, I'm going to give my swelling/bridge/tag a month or two before I start to complain to the surgeon again about it. I do think it is reducing a bit, so I will give mine a little more time.

indonhave two small white lumpus where the hemorroid'S were and I hope they go away too!

in terms of cream I was given proctolysal gel to start with which is hydrocortisone. This is the cream I had a bad reaction too for couple of weeks. Now I use Varixinal gel which I find much better. I also use emuaid or a little coconut oil couple of times a day.

• Posted

Hi Samantha

Should I give mine a little more time to shrink ? This is my third week and it has reduced a bit !

X

• Posted

Hi Lisa, I'm on week 6 and mine has a bit. It takes time I believe. My plan is to reevaluate at 3 months 😳. The surgeon said it will take time x

• Posted

Hi all! I think that if I still have skin tags after I am healed they might just have to stay there. Don't know that I could handle this again. I think I must've definitely turned a corner because now when I take a pain pill I get to be completely pain free. I'm worrying over whether or not o should take miralax today. I didn't yesterday and still had three BMs and I think my body needs a little break. Maybe I will take tonight's dose?!? Idk! Carl-I think I would speak to the surgeon about how raw it is. Maybe put some Vaseline on it to protect from friction and what not for a few days and see if that helps. My surgeon didn't give me any creams to put on but did say I could use tucks pads to wipe with and help with itching. Idk if y'all have those but they are little pads soaked in witch hazel. They smooth the area a lot. After a BM while I'm waiting to get in bath I keep patting with those and it takes some of the sting away. Hope everyone is having a good day!

• Posted

Hi Melissa, great news on the pain 😊😊.

i only take a stool softener once a day and nothing else and I go once a day. Maybe the more times you take something after food the more times you will go. I guess it depends on what your or normal schedule was? For me the doc said to make sure I drink lots of water and I'm on 3-4L a day so that keeps things moving too.

pleased to hear what a tucks pad is, I have some of those and every so often use them too 😊! Enjoy your day as mine is drawing to a close x

• Posted

I will give it a couple a months I think , I want it gone eventually as going through all this to be left with a skin tag will annoy me ! Iv Been a couple of years with things hanging from my butt i want it clear lol !

It's such an improvement to what was there before so I will just be patient ! That's great Melissa , that is a massive turning point ! I have pretty much no pain today it's just niggling a bit ! Tomorrow I prob try just 1 ibrufon not 2 ! Fingers crossed xxx

• Posted

On your stool softeners does it say for the dosage to take 1 to 3 a day? If so how many do I take for a dose. I was thinking of just trying stool softener now and seeing how that goes before going back to miralax. I definitely don't want to get constipated or anything. And if I let my body do it's normal thing that would be awful also but I do need to get it to once a day.

• Posted

Yes I say I wouldn't do the surgery again but I'm like you don't think I will want any thing hanging after all of this. Glad you are feeling better today also.

• Posted

The whole reason I had this done was because of the skin tag rather than the hemorroids! I sure hope surgeon is right with what he tells me!
    • Posted

Hi Melissa mine says once a day unless directed by the doctor. My surgeon also said same once a day. I just changed the timing to after lunch rather than dinner. For me I've always been a once a day girl ot min 6x a week.

My Agiolax is a granule and I take 1/2 to 1 tablespoons each time.

Surgeon had a really big thing about water too, I'm forever on the loo due to the amount I drink but that helps keep the stools soft.

• Posted

On mine it says 1-3 A day u take two what I thought were still softerners as that's what my sergeon told me ! I don't take anything else !

Xx

• Posted

Hello every1. I went in for the op coz of my skin tag, but now I've got 2 which look even worse. I'm 5.5wks post op & they've only gone down a bit, but at least they're no longer sore.

My surgeon said they can't take too much away or there would be no anus left (I had external/low down hems) & the lumps are part of the anus. The way I've been cut & the lumps all fit together like a jigsaw (lol), but I can't see them joining back again. He did say he will re-evaluate when I go back in 3 months. I suppose it's going to take this long before its healed.

I will definitely want them taken off, otherwise it will all of been worthless. That said, it's going to be an open wound so I'm not sure I can bear any more pain!!

All day I've been worried about needing a b/m & thankfully I've not had one. I never ever thought about needing one before & I hate how anxious I'm feeling.

I must admit I don't drink enough water, I really do need to increase this... well done on the 2/3ltrs, that's really good!!

I have noticed that many people stop posting on here after a few months, so I'm hoping that's a good sign & it means everyone heals in a few months... unlike the 2wks we were led to believe ha x

• Posted

Yes mine is once a day also just up to three capsules. I'm gonna take one today and just see how it goes. I also have been drinking lots of water. My surgeon also suggested it. I have been drinking ginger ale also. I was so nauseated those first few days and that's all I could keep down.

• Posted

Yes that's what mine say. I'm gonna switch to those from the miralax for a few days and see how I do. Having 3 to 6 BMs a day is just too much and it's wearing me out. So far today I have not been at all and it's been wonderful lol.

• Posted

How many times a day do you visit for a bm based on how many times a day you take something. For me I noticed that each time I take something it sets off a bm. So one stool softener a day produces just the one bm for me.
    • Posted

For me I was taking miralax once in the mornin and once at night and then I have just been going all day throughout the days.
    • Posted

Good luck, keep an eye and if any doubt reducing the dose may give you constipation try and avoid it!
    • Posted

Hi Carl, try and drink more water, it may help you a little.

Not sure I would surgically have my bridge/lump removed, not sure I'd go through this again.... how many external hemorroids did you have removed and how many skin tags?

My fingers crossed that the 3 month hitch pans out for all of us 😊X

• Posted

Melissa, maybe it's too much if your going 3-6x a day. 'At every worth trying cutting down to once a day and see how you are?

• Posted

That's what I'm gonna do. I haven't taken anything since the day before yesterday and today I have just went once so far. Depending on if I go again today will decide if I take something this evening or not. I definitely don't want to get constipated!

• Posted

I have been going 3-6 times a day , but before the op I was going twice per day , when I go I don't feel completely done but I don't push or sit there waiting as my sergeon told me not to stay longer than 5 mins on toilet ! So sometimes I go and 20 mins later I go again ! But before the operation I would sit there up to half hour ! (Maybe longer )

I don't know what to do as I really don't want constipation! I'm on movicol which Iv looked on the net and it don't say laxative or stool softerner but it just says it helps with constipation! I might try once a day and see if that calms toilet trips down to 2! I also drink up to 3 litres of water!

Because my Deutsch isht perfect I will only go to docs if I have a problem , so I'm confused right now as to what is best I do regarding stool softerners ! My sergeon speaks good English , but I don't really want to bother him with questions ! Or should u ring him ! 😐

Sorry about long text xx

• Posted

Lisa, what I found is the number of bm's depends on how many times I take a stool softener once per day. If I were you I'd try and cut back. But keep an eye on constipation. If you don't go one day then increase for th next.

id call the surgeon if you try reducing yourself and then have an issue. My surgeon is in private system so thankfully he's on what's app with patients! my surgeon only ever advised me to take something once a day.

• Posted

Omg you brave woman! My heart goes out to you and your husband! The things we sign up for, lol!!😀😀

• Posted

I have been prescribed movical( same as laxido), asked gp if this was a stool softener she said yes. Reading the pack its still a laxative!

Really didnt get on with lactulose. What is classed as a stool softner?

• Posted

I got the same advise from my doctor that i don't need to take stool softener just eat food rich in fiber. it is my 4th day after op.  I wish I am able to seat for 8 hours after 10days. I only have  6days to go. still hoping immediate recovery.

• Posted

HI Marco, I was advised by my Dr. to take tool softener which I did for a couple of days.  I have always suffered from diarrhoea and so it wasn’t long before I was having more than one BM each day which were dreadfully painful so I stopped the stool softener as I obviously didn’t need it after the initial first couple of days.  I found the least painful way to pass motions was to have a small portable sitz bath that sat on my toilet, filled with warm water which I then sat on/in.  I passed the motion into the water and then just emptied everything into the toilet pan.  I would pat myself dry and even resorted to drying off with the hairdryer when I was at my most sore.  Sorry this is so graphic but to be of any help to others I have to be.  It gradually got better but I’m afraid some of the surgeons need to experience the operation first hand as they have their recovery facts completely wrong!  Good luck.
    • Posted

I just had my surgery 5 days ago, and the night of I was in extreme pain to the point where I had to have a bowl movement really bad but couldn’t due to gauze they stuffed up me.  I was in full blown tears couldn’t sleep at all that night and stayed in the bath tub from 3:30 in the morning till 8:30 finally called my doctor and my doctor told me if I could to pull the gauze out. Well I did and let me tell you it was the most agonizing pain I’ve ever felt but as soon as I did a couple hours I was able to release and I felt somewhat better without the pressure feeling of having to bear down like I was in labor 😩 I’m still having a very hard time walking and moving around. My doctor pre warned me though that this was going to be a very painful recovery but each day it would get better. I’m still waiting on the better!!! Prescribed me oxycodene lidocaine and a muscle relaxer. Took the oxy but it constiapted  me so I’m sticking to my relaxers. I can’t wait till this over with and I’m back to normal self 

• Posted

had to manually disimpact myself day 3 post op as well.. Almost fainted a few times. Hopefully never again

• Posted

Would never have come to that had you been given correct post op guidance and medicinal help. Stool softeners for a start would have helped along with Fibregel or similar. I was left to my own devices and it was cruel! My suggestion is to get all the advice you can from such as this site.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.