Hemorrhoids - Rafaelo - Post procedure doubt

Posted , 25 users are following.

I had two Grade-2 Hemorrhoids and went through Rafealo procedure 3 weeks back to get them removed. My initial problem was the skin swelling during and post BM around anus (prolapsing hemorrhoids with immediate reduction) and no bleeding.

In the first week post ops there was little bleeding and no swelling. From Second week onwards skin swelling has returned back (skin protruding post BM and shrinking) and it seems like my original problem has returned. Not sure if that's Hemorrhoids or skin tag or swelling. I am seeing consultant on Sunday and will update..but if someone has faced this kindly share your experience..will give me some reassurance.. 

0 likes, 84 replies

84 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I developed the same thing.  My doctor said it is a skin tag that he can remove in the office once the swelling has gone down.  It gets more swollen after bowel movements and my surgery was January 26th.
    • Posted

Thanks Kathy for the reply just wanted to confirm that you too had undergone RAFAELO procedure.
    • Posted

Give it time. I too developed symptoms from 2nd week on. I thought it was a prolapsing haemorrhoid but it was a skin tag. However now, nearly nine weeks on, symptoms have completely resolved. All three large grade 3 prolapsing haemorrhoids have gone. I have two small skin tags which I need to be careful to keep clean after BM but other than that they are not very troublesome so there is no need for any further treatment (including removing the skin tags surgically, so I'm very relieved!)

• Posted

So pleased to hear this. I am day 9 and have been very worried.

• Posted

Did u check with doctor today?what did he say?
    • Posted

Hi Naj - Doc said Hemorrhoids are gone..but somehow the internal membrane gets little sagged after BM..have been asked to see him after 6 weeks...hoping to recover fully by then..will keep you posted.
  • Posted

Hi there,

I had Rafaelo treatment before four days. I have sharp and shock pain during BM and after. Any advice. Thankz

• Posted

I had pain too..drink lot of water....do u feel any lumps after BM still?
    • Posted

hi there!

I had the rafaelo procedure done 4 days ago. first couple of days BM not so painful now. is like you described above. sharp burning pain during and after. is driving me crazy.. makes me very anxious.

I wake up to go to the toilet at night. And then can't sleep from the pain. I also have lots of gas.

How is it now with you. I am so worried. thank you. Victoria.

• Posted

How was your recovery and success with this procedure please? I am day 9. Thanks.

• Edited

SJR2007 I'v posted today about my recovery, I had mine 13 months ago, I'm a female. Hope your recovery is going well. If you click on my name you can see my post.

• Posted

Hello Tej,

My name is Frank, new to the site even though ive been reading experiences from other patients as well. precisely on the 4th of oct, i went for rafaelo. did mine at central london with dr Amyn Haji at the whiteley clinic.

First week after post OP was great in terms of bowel movement, i had some bleeding as well but the joy of the bowels coming out smoothly encouraged me. On daily basis it kept improving.

But I went for a friends party thats 10 days after my OP , had sex with my girlfriend.

The following day, my bowel movement was terrible, it was like im back to square one. i started feeling the lumps close to the outer part of my anus but still inside, my bowels wasnt smooth as before.

Im really scared now, i dont know if it was the sex that caused it, cos this is the 2nd week now. but after reading ur case its a little similar to mine, just that i had sex, which im beginning to think was a very wrong move.

Pls kindly advise me on what to do, cos honestly i feel like im back to square one. will be waiting Thanks.

• Posted

Hi Frank,

I can only say give it time. My first week after the Rafaelo was great. Then it got worse and I was sure it hadn't worked. I was very anxious and down about it. But it was just post-op swelling (and a skin tag which is a minor annoyance but painless).

The Rafaelo marketing suggests you will skip out of there and be fine right away. It's misleading. For me, and I believe for others, there was a bit of up and down before it settled. But I am very happy with the results.

If you're worried call you consultant; he will have better advice than the internet! I was sceptical of my consultant's reassurances at first but he turned out to be absolutley right. Be patient, remain hopeful, and I wish you luck

Ian

• Posted

hi Ian,

The marketing is misleading indeed! I really thought I would be recovering better than I am now.

I had the procedure done 4 days ago.

first couple of days where fine. now it stings and burns every time I have BM. the swelling is not my biggest concern. i think is to be expected. I just can't handle the burning stinging sensation. for how long it Goes? I have 2 small children to look after and I feel useless.

Thank you.

• Posted

Hi Victoria,

I don't remember any stinging or burning but it was a while ago now.

Have patience - it will get better and your life will be so much better than it was before.

For the short term, do you have some pain relief medication? Can you get any help with the kids while you recover?

Be kind to yourself if you can - you will feel a bit useless but that's OK because you've just had a operation involving a red hot poker where the sun don't shine! And remember, it's so so so much better than a haemorrhoidectomy.

For the longer term, one of the best purchases of my life has been this: a loo bidet attachment.

Good luck,

Ian

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I am literally in tears as it hurts so much when I try to have a BM. I feel the need but nothing comes out. Is to tight .. I had given birth without any pain relief and is nothing compared to this pain 😢

i do have strong meds but when I need to go it doesn't work.

I hope ypu r right. And I need to be patient. But I can't see the light at the end..

Thanks again.

• Posted

hi victoria

it happened same with me after rafaelo.after 8 days of rafaelo i went a&e.they did anema.after that i was ok.take some lactulose

dont take too much painkillers.tjat make u more constipated

• Posted

what is the skim tag you are talking about? I have now have a week after the procedure a small ball. pea size. similar to what I used to get before the procedure after BM. But what I have now is not the same as before. Is this skin tag u say?

How long did u have it for? Did it go away. the ball now is a bit painful to touch?

Thank you!

• Posted

Hi Frank, its almost 8 months for me..I have the same symptoms of ballooned/Swollen veins returning back after 1 week of rafaelo, while & post doing BW, rest all times they shrink and its not painful. Not sure whats the issue here..do you also have same symptoms like ballooning/swelling around rectum opening. What I can think is its not hemorrhoids causing this swelling..if it was hemorrhoids they kind of protrude out and shrink back but in my case nothing protrudes out its just swollen opening.

• Posted

Hi

The post recovery information is very misleading. They should change it. I had my procedure a week prior to Christmas and it really has been a rotten couple of weeks. I've had a previous operation so knew what to expect but it still doesn't make it any less painful. It will get better!

• Posted

i am day 9 and gave experienced considerable pain. how are you now?

• Posted

hi Victoria did you get better.? for me the hemarroids are painfree. having other issues now though in the same region and wondering if its connected.

• Posted

Hi,

Well, i did get better in the sense it never hurt again. before the surgery, there were times it was painful, and bled. but i feel like i am going to get them again. after BM, i get a little lump coming out again. its annoying.

what issues are you having?

• Posted

Well when he did the rafaello, he said after that I had a rectocelle as well. So yes I get that lump, but I don't know if its that coming out after BM and also having alot of discomfort with intercourse, so wondering if the laser had touched anything on the wall in between, seen gynae's now and can't seem to get an answer. I'm on a forum on fb for pelvic floor prolapses, quite a few women on that group thinking they have haemarroids when in fact its sometimes rectocelle or both. But like you its successful in the fact that the terrible pain from the Haemarroids themselves gone, thankfully.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.