Hemorroid post surgery experience

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi,

Ive read many discussions on this topic and thought it would be good to advise of my experience for others too.

I had two external hemorroid's removed about 1pm yesterday. After the operation the surgeon advised he has given me a local injection for pain. I have to stay in hospital one night.

Around 6pm I received 1mg Panadol on IV line. Again 1mg Panadol at 2am (at this time I was uncomfortable but not at the stage to ask the hospital for the pain killer yet).

I slept on and off. I was due more pain medicine at 8am but didn't ask for any and the nurses didn't offer me any. 9.30am they asked if I wanted any but as I've not yet experienced a stool then I've not had that pain.

Since after the operation I drank 1.5L water yesterday, ate lentil soup and fruits and I was given a laxative in the evening.

This morning I had my first Sitz bath and pulled out the gauze as per the nurse advise. It wasn't painful just uncomfortable to pull out as I had sat in the bath for 15 minutes first.

I've not yet had any stool but the doctor has been and advised lots of water, high fiber diet, laxative in the evening but not to have diarrhoea- he said if I get diarrhoea to stop the laxative for a day or so until it forms up a little. No spicy food and I will go home with two creams, one for local pain to be used for a week and one for swelling/healing. I'm due back to see the surgeon after one week.

lets see after the stool time!

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Day 3, 48+ hrs post surgery.

Slept well through the night, missed my 3am Panadol. Woke 6am with mild pain 2/3 out of 10 and took the Panadol 1g.

Breakfast  of small yoghurt with handful or raspberries, blueberries, nuts, flax and chia seeds with about a litre of water!

Mid morning stool not too uncomfortable, mild pain. But only for less than 5 minutes. Decided on Sitz bath post event and my muscles relaxed even further and the remainder of all of yesterday's stool followed! Size and consistency an improvement on yesterday 😊. Awful to say but more like a large quantity of small sized fingers. Surgeon said it was important not to get stenosis and allow the passage to narrow so keeping some form of size of the passage is important with the food you eat.

Lunch was a small salad with a little feta cheese and a small banana.

Taking all the medications and creams as per surgeon orders.

Ive received a ring pillow to sit on in house and car which makes it more comfortable.

Itching to go outside 😳 But will wait until tomorrow.

Dinner plans are some spinach and mushroom with a little chicken.

I think as my diet improves this is when the stools will increase and this will be the big tester. Drinking lots of water, aiming for about 3L a day (keeps me regular but it's worth the smooth passage!)

• Posted

Day 4-5

I seem to be settling into a pattern. Wake in the morning and must go to the loo around 9.30-10am. It's getting thicker but can be a little painful. Sit in the sits bath afterwards for 15-20mins. I then seem to need to go again 10.30-11am and after this one that it for the day. A bit of a pain as I can't get out of the house in the morning.

pain is 1-2 during the day. Looks overall not too bad, but looks like I still have a painful skin tag which looks a little grape like. I'm using a hydrocortisone cream 3x a day so lets see if the swelling goes down.

Diet wise I was a little naughty on day 4, spicy salmon and wine, guess I paid for it on day 5. Have decided to cut out the spice as my doctor advised! 

Ive been taking the stool softener in the evening and I'm wondering about taking it instead in the morning. I find it takes approx 14 hrs to work on me. Reason being I'm trapped in doors in the morning. I'm going to try it tomorrow.

Lets just say, love my donut pillow, goes everywhere with me including the car! Sits baths are a god send and worth every penny and minute 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.