Here i am again!!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone, im new to this site and just want to say the help is out there!! I am currently on 4mg of BUPRONORPHINE i have been on this for almost 5 months after severe addiction to codeine!! the nightmare of addiction is the constant fear of running out of tablets the onset of withdrawls, tje shame & guilt and the stress trying to pretend u are "normal" but it is life changing if u have a good gp like i do!! I went to my gp who was prescribing me 8 dihydracodeine for my addiction until i got to a place called LAADS they are amazing the only nightmare is i had to be in withdrawel before starting this medication BUPRONORPHINE i saw a nurse and addiction Doctor who explained everything to me i was told to take no more codeine that day and my appointment was for the following morning!! so after an uncomfertable night with withdrawls kicking in i dragged myself to my appointment the next morning, i was so scared and very anxious not to mention ill with withdrawls BUT!!! i started on the meds and never looked back!! it worked within minutes and im off opiates nearly 6 months!! anyone can do it i promise its so worth it! i have my life back and i can tell u not having to panic every day about getting the codeine tablets is only 1 of the best feelings. Please feel free to ask any questions as i am only too happy to help if i can x

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sorry to disappoint but buprenorphine is a n opiate that also contains a blocker to stop true opiates working but glad to hear you are happy on this medication i have been on subutex (brand name) for 8 years so happy its working for you and it contains no where near as much opiate as codeine your dr should not have prescribed codeine for so long good luck

• Posted

Hi David, my main worry was withdrawls from the opiates so thats not a problem now i am under no illusions that this 4mg of subutex will be mega hard to come off but i have a great Dr and nurse who i see regularly and the determination to not go backwards. I have been lucky with my area having loads of resources that can help me, wish u all the best x

• Posted

hi again

ive been coming off mine with really no problems at my own pace my own time. it is not as bad as opiates as brupanorphine is a synthetic opioid.

so from my own experience its not as hard to come off.

Its not matter of replacing one for another, its coming from any opioid to a synthetic opioid with part blocker also from all opiates.

its been groggy days and lathergic but it gets better.

take care

vicky x

• Posted

Hi Vicky, great that u have done so well!! like myself u know too well how horrific it is being addicted to codeine!! My life is so much better and although i have days im tired etc its still a much better place to be. I feel im back in control and although it will take time i am still determined to be clean. well done again u are an insperation x

• Posted

as long as this works for you my friend! everyones different what works for one may not the other.

you will take it day by day and remember you are doing really well!!

when you are ready do your drops at your pace, i have found to do it at my own pace has made this so much better. when i am ready i take a drop then tell my worker when i m stable to drop it down. no one giving a time limit helps.

the main thing is this is working for you, keep going keep positive but know when you drop it may be uncomfortable. it does settle and you are on a small does.

take care chin up xx

vicky xx

• Posted

Thankyou Vicky, hope u are well i appreciate the advice xx

• Posted

Subutex is hard to get off. It is an opiate. You have simply replaced one for the other. If you run out of subutex in 3 days you will be in withdrawal. I would taper off and get drug free

• Posted

I am on a programme and these are prescribed to me so hopefully i will be ok? a friend of mine was on same programme and has been opiate free and off subutex 3 years. I am aware it is an opiate but it keeps the withdrawls away which was the worst part, i feel 4mg of this is much better than 35/40 Dihydracodeine i was taking daily im lucky as i have access to these resources so many people have to buy these from street etc. I wish everyone the best of luck. x

• Posted

congratulations on kicking the codine battle!

i was an addict for12 years then went on to Brupanophine March 2016 12 mgs like you never looked back it will be three years next week. im on 2.4 mgs of it now was on 12mgs.

so there are success stories and thats great.

well done

i know all to well about tablets are they there? is there enough? do have to collect ? also buy on the black market.

I think drs should be careful about giving codine based tablets to someone without first trying alternatives.

very often people get put on these tablets for their pain then are not monitored tablets get upped and then people get addicted like yourself.

congrats once again!!

vicky x

• Posted

please please be careful bupremorphine is actually worse to come off than codeine ,i know i been battling and still am more than 14 years later i was put on bupe for a codeine addiction ,with no warnings about it and was kept on it for 8 years reducing from 8mg to 2.8mg then ended up in a detox unit to be free of the last 2.8 and wallop nobody tells you the hell of paws post acute withdrawal syndrome where your brain and body is left totally unfuctionable ,its worse than any withdrawals and last months or years by which point most people have relapsed as they think they are having a full breakdown.my advice is to only stay on for a very short time ,i actually had one of the subutex so called experts visit me and tell me in some areas now tbey wont be pres ribing subutex to codeine addicts soon as its trading one opiate for one 40 times stronger and it sits in every muscle every part of your brain for up to 2 years ,saying that im again stuck on 4mg but my plan is to switch back to codeine and then jump from that,i wish you lots of luck x

• Posted

Hi Lizzie w

well done ! I feel for you as I am also in the middle of a severe Codeine addiction.

I have tried to quite cold turkey several times (about 10 times now) but fail after about 10 days, the cravings, the anxiety, the rls, etc etc. Dr's tell you its only 3 days but thats BS absolute BS. I simply cant handle them, its nearly cost me my wife, kids and job.

I am still on the codeine and am desperately trying to see an addiction Dr to get help like you as I think thats the only option I have left now. But for some reason its taking a long long time to get an appt as I dont think the resources around where I live are any good.

But anyway well done and good luck and dont listen to the neg comments on here as for some people ORT is the only way.

Cheers

trent

• Posted

onlu because we have been through the horror of subutex withdrawwals ,you are jumping to one powerful little pill which can wreck your life for months even years when its out of your system codeine ,dhy,withdrawals are bad but the hell of subutex withdraeals is hundred times worse,its why herion addicts jump back on to herion to face the withdrawals og that rather than sub be very careful wat u wish for good luck

• Posted

Hi Trent, i know how horrid this feeling is for u its sole destroying!! and every day is a constant battle. The w/ds are the worst i used to start getting them as soon as 4 hours after my last dose!! The wait for appointments feels like years away, are u currently waiting on one? I can promise u this will get better and u will come through this!! i had to look on the net for resources near me and was surprised at how many there was!! u can get ur g.p to refer u but its faster if u can go along to the place and self refer. I started a diary from the day i self refered and it helped me so much just writing down how many dihydracodeine i was taking each day,how i felt,what i wanted etc i really recomend this as although i have a lot of family & friends to support me there were things i prefered to keep private, its definately worth seeing the g.p and tell him/her the truth its surprising how much help u can get. I wish u the best of luck plz let me know how u get on, Lizzie x

• Posted

i hope you dont think i was giving you negatively Lizzie i wish you every success ,just as someone who has spent 8 years odn subutex and then had a complete breakdown due to it ,it is now only advisable to keep people on subutex for a short time ,i would much rather go through the withdrawals of dhy anyday than go through the years of hell getting rid of every bit of subutex stuck to your brain your muscles ,and the neverending paws, believe me coming off codeine is much easier its tough and rotten but over much quicker than the dreaded subutex withdrawals ,i wish you all the luck in the world x

• Posted

Hi everyone, just wondereing how you are all getting on with regards to being on buoronorphine (suboxone). I am happy to say im still going strong being off the pain killers and on bupronorphine, i was worried i may relapse due to some really stressful events i had in my life but i have not!! I hope you are all well x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.