Here we go again😫 FS in the opposite shoulder now!

Posted , 8 users are following.

When I had the worst-18months-of-my-life due to the severe FS on my right side (2015/16) one day my Physical Therapist mentioned one of his other patients who'd complimented him by returning to him when "she got it on the other side." Something about his tone made it seem rather common. I was APPALLED and said "Well that is NOT happening to ME!" So when that telltale pain started happening a few months ago in my left shoulder, I went into complete denial! I let 4 months go by without seeing my doctor because I just didn't want to admit that I have it (again). So here's my question: this doc is ordering 3 weeks of PT before he'll even let me start asking about MUA. (MUA is what finally healed me last time.) Is this a good idea? I am in SO MUCH pain that gets triggered by any movement, and of course they offer nothing stronger than ibuprofen for pain. I literally cannot imagine how painful PT will be BEFORE Manipulation. Right now the thought of it makes me unable to call and schedule the sessions. Thoughts/experiences?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Sally - I can't even imagine having FS in the opposite shoulder! Ugh!

I did some PT prior to surgery. They took it very slow & easy but for me it did absolutely nothing.

I suffered with FS (Right) for about 9 months before I had MUA & Arthroscopic release on April 20th. I have been in PT ever since.

I am very disappointed in my results though. While I am able to finally lift my arm high enough to shave my armpit and put deodorant on...(Yayy me) I still am not able to take a shirt off over my head, or reach behind my back - at all. I'm still in a lot of pain, just a different type than it was when it was frozen.

I see the surgeon next week on the 19th for my post-op appt. Haven't seen him as of yet, just his PA a couple of times. Which seems like a total waste of time!

This is a horrible thing to go through and I am glad there are people like US that can share their stories smile

• Posted

So sorry that you are dealing with that again. I felt the same way when I got FS for a second time. The first time was 4 years ago in my right shoulder. Anyway, my ortho doctor won't consider MUA until at least 4 months into FS. I was doing physical therapy while having the constant pain in my arm. My therapist didn't make me do any exercises that caused additional pain. After 3 months of physical therapy I am finally seeing some improvement. I no longer have that God awful throbbing pain which meds didn't even come close to working on. I am also starting to sleep better and get some movement back. I am 5.5 months into this and can't wait to be normal again.

Good luck to you. You are not alone!

• Posted

Hi Sally well I also had FS in my left 14 months ago it started and I had ACR surgery and MUA while under it is now finally almost normal but I have now started getting pain in my right shouldet. I can still do up a bra but its a bit sore and I have most rotation but its starting to hurt when putting deodorant on. I am hoping someone will come into this blog and let me know if anyone has had success through exercise and ended up not getting it.
  • Posted

I wish I had words of encouragement for you. But - I just got done with 3 months of PT after MUA and Arthroscopic release after 9 awful months of Frozen shoulder! Just saw my surgeon for 3 month post-op - Guess what? My shoulder is still frozen and he has suggested I have another MUA and Arthroscopic surgery!! I am so disappointed I don't even know what do do at this point sad

The ONLY positive thing is that i won'ty have any out-of-pocket expense if I decide to do it within this calendar year.

• Posted

Hi Brenda - are you going to go for your second surgery.? I thought that there were 3 phases of the recovery period after an arthroscopy? So I had mine done nearly 2 months ago and I can hardly lift my arm up to put deodorant on or to shave - I can only just manage that and I absolutely cannot reach behind my back and do up my bra - at all. I also cannot put my hair into a pony tail. I told my doctor that I am so disappointed in my recovery and he said I am to do NO PT at all until I have no pain I do go to gym and I am trying to exercise the arm a bit but it is excrutiating. I was told another 3 month of freeze, then 6 months of thaw and then another phase? I am not following his advice as I feel I should asolutely be doing something to help myself but not sure if I am doing more harm than good?

Ā 

• Posted

Hi Natalie I had ACR with my last FS and as soon as I left the hospital my Dr said exercise straight away and do PT twice a week until your sick of it. So I did as he asked and went home and started exercising as soon as I walked in the door. I thank my surgeon for his advice because 4 minths after I had 80% ROM back. I knew someone else who had ACR and was told to do nothing and her shoulder 1 year later is still thawing and can hardly do anything. Probably the worst advice ypur Dr gave was telling you to do nothin and its now frozen again.
  • Posted

I've just replied to Dee1963's discussion:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/frozen-shoulder-twice-once-in-each-shoulder-602595

There is so much contradictory advice about frozen shoulder but many experts say that there is no place for physiotherapy at the freezing or even frozen stage and that too agressive therapy, can do more harm than good.  Gentle excercise to try to keep things moving (or get things going when at the thawing stage) is one thing - but not if it causes pain.   I've also heard that there is no point doing MUA at the freezing stage, as the shoulder is likely to continue freezing afterwards.  I've mentioned my thoughts on MUA, etc, in my reply to Dee  - it wasn't something I'd consider.  Hydrodilation worked for my first frozen shoulder, in terms of stopping the pain and gradually regaining the movement in a badly frozen shoulder.  After getting the same treatment for my second frozen shoulder (now 5 weeks later), the early intervention seems to have worked and (fingers crossed) I'm hopeful that it will not recur.  

Good luck and I hope you get treament that works for you.

• Posted

Frozen shoulders are not commmon though the diagnosis is. A second frozen shoulder is very uncommon but it does happen. It never happens in the same shoulder twice although it is often diagnosed so.

If you do have a new FS then it will run it's course whether it be be one year or three. It would seem that any treatment will work if given at the correct time ie when the defrosting is about to come. Unfortunately the defrosting ttme could be one year and as much as three year.You can see why treatments can work for some and not others. Some patients do well with distention of the capsule, which by the way I found out researching this that physiotherapists are doing this in the UK. I would imagine only a chosen few would though.

As I have said previously I have never had a FS but several severe shoulder injuries.I hope you don't have this awfull condition but if you do you will have to blame your Viking ancestors!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.