Hereditary craving for alcohol

Posted , 11 users are following.

During my research on hereditary emotions I have no doubt that feelings are hereditary, even phobias.

If this is fact what are we passing onto our kids if we drink in excess. Over 20 years ago there was an article in New Scientist warning that we should have our children first before using drugs or alcohol.

We have a huge responsibility not to drink in excess not just for ourselves but for the children we intend to have, if any.

1 like, 56 replies

56 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Fully agree Lynn. I managed to stop due to my 1 year old twins. Was drinking too much by far and did stop.

• Posted

Hi Lyn.

I'm actually surprised that there is any such concept as "hereitary emotion" that can be "researched" in the scientific community. Emotions are subjective and transient. I have much doubt that there is scienfic method that is able to quantify and compare emotion let alone claim that there is a hereditary component to someone's disposition unless of course you lock up a bunch of neo-nates in isolation and see which ones grow up happy regardless.

Then maybe researchers can isolate a "happy " or "sad"gene and introduce screening for potential parents and advise on termination.

I am wondering where your conclusion on "hereitary emotion " and you're "research " on the matter might lead and why you chose to post such a comment on a forum for people that are supporting each other?

• Posted

Kelly, I too can’t understand the reason for posting on this forum.

Yes there is information and research on hereditary emotion. There’s some theories both for and against.

The view of some is that emotions are not hereditary and that we acquire them through learning. The way we are bought up and taught by our parents/guardians, is how we develop our emotions, rather than through our DNA

• Posted

Hi Vicky.

Yes I agree that some behaviour is learned and if you have been exposed to a substance during your upbringing or during the gestational period you may develop a positive association.

I took" hereditary" to mean such as genetically predetermined. My bad.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.