Hernia returned

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had a double Spigelian hernia repair on 06/06/17  at a private hospital 

I'm convinced it's returned 

The nurse at the hospital says it's most unlikely and has brought my October post op appointment forward to next week 

What are my legal rights if it has returned 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Seriously???  You are talking legal ramifications b4 you even know???   Really???
    • Posted

Why is that a bad thing, I don't mean as in suing anybody 

I meant is the hospital required to put it right , it cost me nearly £5000 in total 

I was just asking a question 

• Posted

Sorry to hear of your problem and the fact that   I can be of no help to your query but was wondering if you could help me.  I was diagnosed with this type of hernia last year.  Apparently, they are quite rare , hard to detect so there seems to be little advice or help around.  I am awaiting a repair. My hernia is low in my left groin .  When I first went to my Doctor I told her that I had a great deal of 'gas' which seems to accumulate in my groin and sounds like the sink emptying or even times when it is like a cannon firing.  It  is as if the hernia cause a slight 'blockage' that cause this build up.  My Dr's initial diagnosis was the usual STRESS relating to my husband's death nine months earlier.  I do have other symptoms but don't know if they are related to the hernia.  You are the first person I have heard of having the same.  Your advice would be appreciated

• Posted

Hi Patricia 

Sorry for your loss 

I'd had my hernia for 6 years before it started causing me a lot of pain 

I did some research and worked out it was a Spigelian hernia, mine is also on my left side 

At the end of last year I noticed a continued lump like a boiled egg , sometimes the pain would be unbearable if I'd been on my feet for sometime but subsided if I lay flat 

The pain became more frequent so I went to my GP in April who said it wasn't a hernia which surprised me 

I insisted on a scan as my partner had been misdiagnosed nine  years ago with a trapped nerve which turned out to be terminal lung cancer 

The scan confirmed it was a Spigelian hernia but the waiting list on the NHS was at least over six months 

I opted to go privately as I couldn't manage the pain for that length of time 

I had the repair done in June but it feels ( to me ) that it has returned, not been confirmed but I have an appointment with my surgeon next week 

They can be very painful but the repair is relatively routine 

I was in and let home the same day 

You need to be very careful after the operation and no lifting , stretching, anything that can cause pulling as this area is at the core of your body 

I was extremely careful and haven't worked since , the company I worked for relocated so I have been out of work 

I was quite upset by the other response from Sandra , I wasn't wanting anything financial from the private hospital that did the surgery I was just wondering if they were somewhat obliged to re do the surgery and if it was within my rights to ask them that ,as having to pay another £5000 would be difficult 

Not sure I've been much help Patricia 

I hope all goes well 

Bob 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.