Hi

Posted , 8 users are following.

I'm 6 weeks on after TKR and I'm still feeling sick and finding it difficult to eat

has anyone else had this problem?

0 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Funny you should mention that.

today, for the first time since my second week I have been feeling mildly nauseous and have very little appetite for eating anything.

i have just put it down to the constant constipation leaving me feeling 'backed up' because of the painkillers.

i will push myself to eat tonight but probably won't enjoy it like usual.

• Posted

I had to stop most of my pain killers for that reason. I preferred the pain to that horrible sickness and constipation. That really brought me down. Just had the friday takeaway and loved it. Though I'm sitting here with ice on my knee as usual.
    • Posted

I've cut the painkillers down to just twice a day maybe I should just take them at night

i know I always said I needed to lose a bit of weight but this is ridiculous.  People are noticing the weight loss now 

• Posted

Every cloud...... But that is what I do, just at night because otherwise I can't sleep. I only take Ibuprofen because I know they suit me. 
    • Posted

Hello jean I only have 2paracetomol  a day and save them for nighttime .knee still hurts when I go to bed. I have no appetite and feel nuaseas after food however small, can't eat a full meal just having tit bits when I feel like. My weight loss is very noticeable and my family are worrying . The problem is you need good food to help with the healing process. Why is everyhing such a struggle after this damn op. love from tucks 
  • Posted

Evening Jean,

I am 16.5 weeks post-op and suffered with nausea for at least the first month.  It was certainly caused by Ibuprofen and when I cut back the nausea improved and so did my appetite.  Like you, I lost weight. 10lbs. I only weigh 9 stone so the weight loss was obvious.

For the first week out of hospital the constipation (and then reverting to the exact opposite!) was a killer.  Movelat sorted me out.  The last thing you need with this op is to either be sitting on the loo for ages or rushing there.

Try eating cream crackers if you feel sick.  Maybe with some marmite.

Oh the joys of tkr. Bloody horrible.

• Posted

Hi Lynn

I am now 7 weeks +4; can I ask does your knee still feel tight with that rubber band feeling in it when you bend and are you able to move your knee around normally / walk normally?

Thanks,so much, Tracey

• Posted

Yep Tracey, as I'm sitting here I have the tight band/vice feeling.  Goodness knows when that finally goes.

Walking OK.  Walk better in trainers for some reason.  Think they give better support.  Still nervous outside though, but getting there.

Lynn 16.5 weeks post op

• Posted

Thanks, Lynn

It is just so horrible that tight feeling - I have to fight it each time I bend it.

Hope it goes soon!

Well done you with the walking; I can use one stick at home but it's not a great walk / doesn't feel natural yet.

Think the doctors etc involved with this surgery should be more realistic when talking about recovery. Goodness knows when I will be able to drive and go b back to work. :-(

• Posted

You are so right about the little consultants know about recovery. They haven't got a clue.  It must be one of the most difficult, traumatic operations there are.  And I've got to go through it all again.
    • Posted

I haven't had any other major operations so can't really compare but this recovery process is so different from what I was expecting. There are so many ups and downs and the physiotherapy involved is like training for a sporting event! I imagine after other ops you just gradually get better. You have to work so hard with this. Mind you, my consultant did tell me before the op that 20% of the work was his and 80% of it would be mine. He was right! Don't envy you going through it again but you obviously have to and, at least will know what to expect. Xx
    • Posted

What I have found so difficult is how long it takes to bounce back.  I thought maybe a month or so, but this op has been something else altogether.  I know I am improving, but I don't feel myself. Feel right inside.  The mental aspect has been far more difficult than the physical.  Surely consultants have been told this many times so why don't they warn patients?  My physio is the only one who seems to understand.  Totally knocks you for six.
    • Posted

You're so right. The surgeons are just concerned with the practical things. Mine was keen and proud to show me the x Ray of my new knee! The physios are who have helped me most too - as well as people on this site 😊 

I know how you feel about not feeling yourself. I don't seem to have the energy to do things. I have asked my son & family over for lunch tomorrow (3 kids under 5) and feel as if I can cope with it. So that is an improvement! We'll get there eventually, I'm sure. 

• Posted

I have family for Christmas lunch but am quite anxious about that.  We have all agreed to a really scaled-back Christmas lunch this year, so hope I can cope OK with that.

What a carry on!

• Posted

I'm sure you will, Lynn and your family understand. I coped ok yesterday but made sure I gave myself enough time after preparing veg for a sit down before dealing with the next stage! It's the standing I find so hard. Bit of forward planning and you'll be fine. Perhaps get someone else to take the turkey out of the oven though biggrin
    • Posted

Definitely, a bit nervous of lifting weights at the moment.  I plan everything to the enth degree, so that should be ok.

Still nervous about lifting my grandson out of his highchair.  It's that sort of thing I find most upsetting.

Do you understand?

• Posted

I most certainly do, Lynn. I've got a Grandaughter of 7 months and grandson 9 months. I avoid lifting them if I can as I'm nervous. Have made myself do it recently. I'm to look after them 1 or 2 days a week after Christmas when their mums return to work. I just hope I'm going to be up to it. As you say, so frustrating and upsetting. 
    • Posted

Well, good luck with the childcare.  We looked after my first grandson for three consecutive days each week before baby no. 2 came along.  It was so rewarding and our bond is great, but with two kn..........ered knees then, goodness knows how I did it, getting up at 5 am to drive across to them.

Luckily, my daughter isn't going back to work this time.  I am still apprehensive at the thought of babysitting when they're in bed.  Back to the loss of confidence issue .....

• Posted

I know what you mean. I'm doing some short stints at the moment. I've got my 3 year old grandson for an hour or so after school tomorrow and had my two granddaughters for tea a few weeks ago. It's the babies I'm a bit more anxious about because of the lifting. Hoping to be much better in 2/3 months time. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.