Hi All. 10 weeks po thr

Posted , 10 users are following.

Well I think this is kind of wierd but I just don't know what to do to feel better. I have been doing pretty good. Stopped all pain meds about 3 weeks ago. Which is amazing since I have taken pain meds for 20 years. I thought I would feel great when I could stop taking them. But as expected I had diarrhea when I quit them. But that was 3 weeks ago and I still have it as well as just a feeling of being unwell. I can't really explain it except to say it's almost a flu like feeling. No fever. Hip is hurting just a little. Just enough that husband noticed I was starting to limp again. That may be habit I don't know. I don't have a primary care doctor and my surgeon is 5 hours away. Hoping this will resolve itself on its own. Feeling depressed.

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Depression is normal, we all feel it. You have had major invasive surgery, you have been on all sorts of medication and your body has not got a clue what is going on. Perfectly normal.

What sort of operation did you have, posterior, anterior or what. What was the prosthetic, ceramic on ceramic or ceramic on polyethylene? Also, dare we ask how old you are?

Pain killers are a problem, they just mask the issue rather than cure it. It's good that you are off them, they are just unnatural chemicals in your body. The diarrhea is a result of these chemicals and the fact that muscles in your body have been stretched, cut and pulled all over the place. It will take a while to revert back to normal.

A little pain is natural and everyone mends at a different rate and while some are up and about in a matter of days, others take months. 

Don't worry about the depression. On the outside I am one of the happiest people you will ever meet but underneath it, I have been very depressed since the operation but knowing it is temporary, I do not worry. Everything will heal at it's own pace.

Just stay off those chemical pain killers, they do not help heal you.

Good luck and don't forget this forum is full of helpful people.

Tony

• Posted

Thank you Tony for your response. I feel better just hearing from someone who has also been where I am. I had anterior. The prosthesis is titanium I think. I have forgotten, for the moment, the name of it. I hope this whole thing is just part of recovery. Thanks again.

Carol

• Posted

Carol,

I will admit something to you. As a man we all try to act and look macho. Since the operation I have had groin pain which my surgeon tells me is natural and will gradually go over the next few months as I exercise more. My wife is a very experienced (retired) registered nurse so I get no sympathy at all from her as she has seen much worse in her time.

On my own I find myself very depressed and sometimes feel like crying but I just say to myself that it is getting better each day (and it is) so man up and get on with my life. 

Despite what others may say about quick recoveries and no pain, we all suffer from it. It is just that some can handle pain better than others. It is the pain that often causes the depression. 

Unless the pain is too bad, please lay off the pain killers. The longer you take pain killers the worse it becomes as your body gets used to them and they cease to have much effect. Save pain killers for the really bad times.

Try to smile and understand that no matter how bad you feel, there are others who are in a much worse condition.

Tony

• Posted

Thank you Tony for the pep talk. I needed it. I have been thinking if I went back to the pain meds I might feel better. I have quite a few left. But I really don't need them. The pain is tolerable. It's just like you said, the unwell feeling makes me feel depressed and like I will never feel good again. We are heading south for the winter and I'm hoping sunshine and sand under my feet will make a big difference. Keep smiling.

Carol

• Posted

CArol,depression is a natural part of healing. We all think we should be doing better, pain can be a factor as we’ll as lack of sleep. It will get better. If you are limping you should be using your crutches again until muscles are strong enough. Think you need to have a primary care doctor nearby than just relying on your surgeon. 
    • Posted

You know I hadn't thought of it but you are exactly right. I am not sleeping well at all. Bet that isn't helping at all. As far as a primary doctor goes, I will be getting one before long. Just not at the moment because we are going south and there is no time as they all require tests that I won't be around long enough to get until we come back home. Hoping the nice hot weather will help. Thank you for your response and thinking of the sleep issue. Don't know why I didn't even consider that.

• Posted

Hi Carol 10 weeks is not long after a major op as hip replacement so its probably totally normal to feel a bit down in the dumps, I do think though that as you say you have been taking pain meds for 20 years you could be having to deal with some withdrawal symptoms which want help, you say you don't have a primary care worker, is this because you are not covered by insurance or because your to far away from one.

Either way just make sure you are eating a healthy diet, drinking plenty of fluids and getting adequate exercise and before long I'm sure you will feel so much better

• Posted

Thanks for your response. I had a difference of opinion with my primary care doc of 15 years. We parted ways and I don't have time before we leave for the winter to find another. You may be right about the pain meds. I thought of that but since I haven't taken any for 3 weeks, I thought they would be out of my system by now. I sure hope I feel better when we get to a warmer climate. Thanks again for your response.

• Posted

Carol, this sounds like park for the course. And I don't golf. I have my 12 appointment tomorrow with surgeon. I'm 40 year old ,own my own landscape company, had the posterior right side. Right now at twelve weeks I am trying to go with my crew and advise. But driving to long and being on uneven ground cripples me. I now have tendonitis in knee cap, and my ham string hurts like hell. So yes I'm depressed also. But like others said, this is only temporary, it can only get better from here for us. I also am not taking any more pain meds no matter what. Cheer up! Fly south and get some sun! Tomorrow for me is getting a snow plow truck ready to go, and my Dr appointment. I HATE SNOW. even if it is my income. My advice is ice! I bought two really big ice packs that hospital pt uses. They are my best thing every night after work.

Take care!

• Posted

Thanks Chuck for the encouraging words. Hope you are better soon. Don't know how you stand the ice and snow.

• Posted

Ice and snow is so much worse as you get older in the snow removal business. Talk about depression!

I'm struggling to walk and work, and we timed surgery so I should be healed by snow removal season. Well, I'm not, and to make it worse before we decided in surgery, we went in with some family friends to rent a ski cabin near us this winter. So on my winter weekend s I'm either staying home to plow snow, or cooking in ski cabin while watching old TV. I've heard of thr people going back to 🎿 but I can't even imagine it now. Sorry for venting on you. I just happened to log on tonight feeling pretty rough. I'm really curious what Dr says tomorrow for my twelve weeks. Take care

• Posted

Hi carol.  I don't know but I am just thinking you might be having withdrawals from stopping your pain medication.  Did you ween yourself off of them or Just stop cold turkey?  I know when my time is up on my pain medication if I don't take a pill I get a little funny feeling also.  My dr is weaning me off of them gradually as I too took them for two years. Maybe call your dr about this and see if msybe he can help.   So sorry for you 

• Posted

I agree with Stacey that this is withdrawal and should have been supervised. Cold turkey is too painful. A slow step down would have been much better. Water under the bridge! Keep plugging as I think 3 weeks is about right to clear your system. If you continue to feel horrible you must consult a doctor by phone or in person.  So sorry about your outcome that was started with good intentions! Best of luck.
    • Posted

Thanks Joyce. I so appreciate everyone's input as I was beginning to think there was something seriously wrong with me but with you alls encouragement, I will make it through this. It has to get better soon. I have survived worse in my 70 years. This too shall pass. Thanks again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.