Hi All. 10 weeks po thr

Posted , 10 users are following.

Well I think this is kind of wierd but I just don't know what to do to feel better. I have been doing pretty good. Stopped all pain meds about 3 weeks ago. Which is amazing since I have taken pain meds for 20 years. I thought I would feel great when I could stop taking them. But as expected I had diarrhea when I quit them. But that was 3 weeks ago and I still have it as well as just a feeling of being unwell. I can't really explain it except to say it's almost a flu like feeling. No fever. Hip is hurting just a little. Just enough that husband noticed I was starting to limp again. That may be habit I don't know. I don't have a primary care doctor and my surgeon is 5 hours away. Hoping this will resolve itself on its own. Feeling depressed.

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi carol are you feeling better?  If you are not I think you need to make a appointment with a dr.  Getting off those pain pills could really have messed up your system.   I am 60 ish and been on the pain pills as I told you before for 2 years.   I am excited to get off them soon but I wouldn't do it cold turkey as my dr  told me to do it gradually.  I know when I think I don't need one I'l still take a quarter of one and stretch the hours out between taking them.   I am now one month from my surgery and trying to go from a walker to cane. I had horrific swelling so it put me behind schedule,  cheer up you aren't alone.  Hope you get feeling better.   Cheers. Stacy in Palm Springs ca 

• Posted

Thanks Stacy. I felt better this afternoon. I'm trying to stay busy as I think that helps.

• Posted

Carol

I'm sure if you've been on pain meds fior 20 years it will take a while for your insides to get back to normal. If you can avoid pills for the diarea that would be good. I'm not an expert but I imagine plenty of fibre and veg will help.

I'm sure the sunshine will help with the depression. We're just looking at the onset of winter and though the autumn colours are lovely it is depressing that it is already dark at 4pm

Mike

• Posted

Hi Michael. Thanks for your response. I believe the consensus of opinion is that I worked myself off the pain pills too fast. (10 days) But too late to worry about that now since I already did it. I'm sure hoping I feel better soon. Trying to stay busy so I don't think about it so much. If I'm not doing anything, it seems like I feel worse. Looking forward to heading south and lying on the beach in Zipolite, Oaxaca, Mexico. Only 2,000 miles from my cold home in Missouri, USA. Thanks again. Stay well and happy.

• Posted

Carol

Not sure a slow withdrawal would have been easier. I imagine it's a bit like giving up smoking - cutting down is harder than giving up in my experience.

Zipolite sounds nice. We went to Puerto Vallarta some years ago when my daughter was in Mexico and enjoyed it.

Warmer here in the UK today but raining!

Mike

• Posted

My gp and consultant said muscle memory is a very strong thing after hip replacement. Tried relaxation and/or hypnotherapy?
    • Posted

Hi april. Muscle memory? Hmmmm. Well that sounds reasonable. Relaxation sounds good too. Thanks for the ideas. Hope you are doing well. I think I feel a bit better today. Have been out and about and that helps. Thanks again. Carol
  • Posted

Carol

10 days to wean off,, that’s fast !!!

Your 3 weeks without that’s great. Of course you’re going feel like crap !!

Your doing great so keep on it’ll get better each day. I’m currently on maximum pain meds and dread when i have to get off but if my pain would subside I hope I can do as good as you are !!! (( nerve block in one month pray it works ))Enjoy the sun, the beach ,and life without waiting for next dose !!!

Which beach are yall headed to. The beach is my wife’s favorite place & I can go anywhere if I can fish !! 😜 

Luv to all 

David

• Posted

Hi David. We leave day after tomorrow but we drive slowly and only during the day time. We will take a couple of days to get from Branson, MO to Mission, TX and then a few days to get our papers in order to cross the border. Then a couple of weeks down the gulf Coast of Mexico and across the isthmus to the Pacific side of Mexico where we will eventually be in Playa Zipolite, Oaxaca, Mexico. We have a little Casita there. I am so anxious to be there. We had Temps of 32 degrees here today. By the way, I am feeling better but not 100 percent yet. Need that sun and sand.
    • Posted

I’m green with envy!!! 🌞Be safe Enjoy 😀

Haven’t seen the pacific in 50 yrs. what a trip !!!! 

David 

• Posted

Carol.  Did I hear you say Branson mo.  I am in California now for 28 years but left for a year with my husband for a two week vacation in Branson. What I am saying is we went for a two week vacation to visit some friends and stayed for a year.  Just love. Branson.  I am 5 weeks out on my hip replacement. Went to gym. Pt today and ride the bike.  Just will be glad when the swelling goes down on my ankles and leg.  Done with walker though and using cane.  I walk away from it though. So there is a light at the end of the tunnel 
    • Posted

Hi Stacy. That's right. We are a little outside of Branson. My daughter lives in the city proper. We are on Tablerock Lake about 20 miles away. I am almost 3 months post op now. No more swelling. Mostly doing whatever I want to. No hip pain what so ever. It's a miracle. Good luck to you and keep smiling. It does get better. smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.