Hi all new member. Just started sertraline 4 days ago and I in hell!

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi all, This is the first time I have ever posted online about my anxiety and depression. I have had a couple of episodes in my 40 years ( 15 years of them I took prozac with no problems ) but this one which has been on and off for the last year &  has hit me hard! I was on mirtazapine for 9 months but found they were not really helping my anxiety , so I went to my doctor and he suggested sertraline. I started taking 100mg on Saturday and all though I slept fine that night and felt ok , The rest of the week I have felt the worst I have ever felt. I can not eat , I have managed to get about 5ish hours of sleep at night but I just can not shut my mind off. I have had the worst anxiety I think I have ever had. It's hard to even cook a dinner for the family! My hands are sweating and I'm grinding my teeth!

I would not consider myself a week man But these pills have put me on the floor. I was not like this on the mirtazapine I was functioning on them!

I'm going to try and stick with them but I hope these symptoms subside.

0 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi all, how are you all doing? Well it's nearly been a week on Sertraline. And I won't lie it's been the worst I have ever felt! Physically and Mentally. I've had thoughts that I would be better of dead And the physical pain in my stomach, has at times been unbearable. I forced myself to get up sometimes this week and I have made myself go to the shops on my own. I was so overwhelmed yesterday morning that I had to get my partner to call my mother as I honestly thought I could not carry on anymore. I absolutely weeped like I was a baby on her shoulder. I felt so much guilt and grief for my family and what I'm putting them through. Obviously they all have been telling me it's a illness and it's not your fault. And it's the meds. Today I woke up and my stomach has settled right down and I have not weeped at all today. I have taken a few beta blockers and that has kept all the physical symptoms of anxiety at bay. ( I know it's not great taking another pill but I need all the help I can get until the sertraline gets into my system smile ) Eating has been a absolute nightmare but I have literally forced things in. Greek yougurt and fruit have been a main stay during the day. And a very small dinner. Which I've took ages over eating. Last night I had a good three hours of calm and dare I say it felt at ease. And I even managed to answer some emails and the like, which I really could not face all week. Sorry for such a long post,

• Posted

All progress jay all progress r u still on 100mg if i were u id cut the dose to 50mg
    • Posted

Hi weenett, I was tempted to lower my dose but I thought I've done 7 days at 100 and I did'nt ( or could not bare to mess my body around anymoresmile  )

• Posted

Hi Jay

Day 10 and the physical symptoms are still lingering with a bad stomach etc.Tonight I have eaten!! I'm so pleased. I have not eaten a meal in a week. I've been living on yogurt and full fat milk. I don't have the weight to lose so that's added to the anxiety. The mental symptoms are greatly improved also. Still not right and just taking it slowly. I've never known anything as vicious as this drug and have taken other ads in the past with no side effects. Hopefully we will both get there. Take care Bridget

• Posted

Bridget which ones lol ive been on both citalopram and sert twice an had side effects with all
    • Posted

Prozac, citralopam and prothiaden. No side effects at all. Stopped all within a few months, no tapering, just stopped. So I'm not impressed with Sertraline as it's wiped me out for a week.

• Posted

wiped me out too. .  Had tried Prozac years ago, bad effects till stopped it.  How long before this sertraline kicks in.  NAusea and anxiety from hell. Will i ever wake up,without it
    • Posted

Hi I'm on day six I started on Thursday. I'm still on 25mg I felt really bad Sunday but I feel I've settled down more today. I was meant to up the dose to 50mg yesterday but wanted to wait another day or so. I think everyone is different but I definitely feel alot calmer and the side effects have faded quite a bit. It was my mums funeral yesterday so I took some propranolol as well to calm my anxiety. My Dr said that was ok and that really helped me. I hope you're OK and they work for you xx

• Posted

It's actually very reassuring to read all the comments. I started 50mg on Thursday and have been experiencing insomnia, slight nausea, dry mouth and a bit jittery. My anxiety has calmed though. My Dr said to double the dose after four days but I think I'll wait a bit longer than that. It's good to know everyone else is experiencing the same.

I've never taken anything for anxiety or depression before so it's quite a scary experience

• Posted

Ur doing really well if its ur first time on anything
    • Posted

Well I got that wrong! I've start on 25mg. Feeling quite strange can't put my finger on it but they're bloody strong aren't they. I wouldn't say they're curbing my anxiety yet but then that's mainly due to it being my mums funeral tomorrow. I hope things start to settle after that. I have the right jaw as well it's really irritating

• Posted

Aw bless u ur really strong starting these just after loosing ur mum
  • Posted

Hi Guys

I started on them 5 months ago and I went down 2 sizes because I couldnt eat friends and family were getting worried but my appetite is back the last few weeks and in starting to fill out again (eating like a pig haha) I hipped from 50 to 75 mgs 2 weeks ago and I havn't felt great just can't be happy about anything partner and friends literally irritating the she f*** out of me for no reason I feel like such a bad person. I've to go up to 100 in another week just trying to ride it out hoping the 100 mgs will make me feel normal again all I can do is live in hope now is there anyone on here that has felt good for longer than a few days at a time? Feel like giving everything up sometimes

• Posted

Hi Nicola, I was pretty much the same as you with loss of appetite and lost 1.5stone. My appetite has since returned thankfully. Sleep is still abit up and down and feel tired throughout the day and no energy or more motivation. Ive had really low days too but my anxiety has slightly improved. I've been on it for 28days. 6days on 25mg 19days on 50mg and 3days on 75mg. How you finding it? Is it helping you? Xxx

• Posted

Im 5 days on 75 mg an have side effects today my head feels funny cant b bothered doing anything loss of appitite tight jaw
    • Posted

Hi weenett, yes I'm been suffering with jaw ache too plus metal taste in mouth and eyes feel like they are hard to focus. How long have you been sertaline? X

• Posted

I'm not sure Monday to Friday im so tired I work full time and have a 4 year old so I'm very moody and extra tired during the week I think cause I can relax and get out and do things I'm a bit better on the weekends. It feels like a never ending battle tho as you said too I'm constantly tired. Trying to motivate myself to do work is very hard. But I'm generally in better mood in work I think being social really helps me. I'm going to go back thw gym soon I'm just worried that I'd faint or be weak because I gwt light headed at just walking up rhe stairs now 😣

• Posted

Since sept i went from 25mg to 50 mg and was ok till a wk go so upped to 75mg 5 days ago
    • Posted

Hi Nicola, yes I'm the same, so tired every day tho. I work 24hrs a week as a self employed cleaner so hard work and need to go as don't get paid if I'm off. I've got 2 children aswell, 10year old and 5year old so they keep me busy too. I can't get motivated either so hard. How long have you been on it for now? Xx

• Posted

I'm on them 5 months now I know after a few weeks of starting them I did feel better anxiety wise just my depression seem never ending. I pin too much hope on the tablets I think.

• Posted

Yes I feel my anxiety has improved but I'm still low but know it can take awhile to get to work and told that depression is last to go. Have you found it has helped at all with depression? Xxx

• Posted

And how are you finding that since you upped your dose? Has it helped? Xx
    • Posted

Hi clare

I'm up to 75 mgs 3 weeks now and up to 100 next week.

• Posted

I think so. Some days it seems like it hasn't at all but the doctor even said to me I can't just expect the tablets to make everything better again I have to try be positive myself. Which as I said I think being social seeing friends is really something that helps.

• Posted

Im only on day 4 and ive got the jaw clenching but it only lasts a few hrs
    • Posted

Yes I get that with my jaws too. You taken it for anxiety or depression or both? X
    • Posted

Mainly for anxiety but when i feel really anxious i start to get a low mood
    • Posted

Mine was for anxiety but as I was trying to cope with it by myself without meds I started getting a low mood because of it. My anxiety has settled a lot from what it was like at the beginning but my low mood is still there and have no motivation or energy xx
    • Posted

I've been on it 28days. Started on 25mg for 6days, then 50mg for 19days and been on 75mg for 3days, upping to 100mg end of this week. The doctor did want to start me on 50mg for a week then up it to 100mg but I was to scared x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.